Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

So...I'm kinda wanting to go back to Gen 1 again. What better way than to try something new?

Because this is my first Scramble, I'd like some Medium difficulty challenges, please don't make them too easy, though. Personally, I'd like to play with Bulbasaur, but I'm open to using Charmander or Squirtle as my starter, too.

Game: Pokemon Red, because its the first one I obtained.

The more creative the challenge, the more I'll want to use it. Same goes for a backstory. A good backstory will make me want to accept slightly harder challenges than usual.
Reserving a Bulbasaur. I have a backstory in mind :3

Chieliee, take Crackle the Caracoasta. Its ability cannot be Sturdy. It can either have STAB OR Shell Smash. Must solo gym 8 or Catlyn of the E4.

So...I'm kinda wanting to go back to Gen 1 again. What better way than to try something new?

Because this is my first Scramble, I'd like some Medium difficulty challenges, please don't make them too easy, though. Personally, I'd like to play with Bulbasaur, but I'm open to using Charmander or Squirtle as my starter, too.

The more creative the challenge, the more I'll want to use it. Same goes for a backstory. A good backstory will make me want to accept slightly harder challenges than usual.
Hey Alice, you can have Tentacalm the Tentacruel.

Tentacalm isn't your average Tentacruel. It refuses to essentialise any of the characteristics that have given it its species name and instead wants to be recognised as a paradigm of goodness in the pokémon world. It wants to help you out as much as possible, and so learns both Cut and Surf as soon as you catch it and uses them both whenever you see a cuttable tree or a body of water that needs crossing.

It also refuses to use any of the techniques that the giant Tentacruel at Hatoba Port used when it ransacked the city along with its army of Tentacool, so it can't use Constrict, Wrap, Surf (in battle), Rage or Supersonic at any point. Also, because Nastina, the woman who aggravated the giant Tentacruel into attacking the port, resembles Agatha, Tentacalm refuses to fight any of her pokémon.

It also holds a grudge against Team Rocket, as the force that created the giant Tentacruel, so it must solo Giovanni every time you meet him after catching Tentacalm.

To evolve, Tentacalm must be switched out of battle with wild Tentacool fifteen times, so that it learns that not all Tentacool are prone to violence.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Take a Gastly. It needs to solo any one of Sabrina's Pokemon to evolve to Haunter. If you're able to trade to evolve to Gengar, it needs to solo two of Sabrina's Pokemon to be able to evolve into Gengar.

Hey Alice, you can have Tentacalm the Tentacruel.

Tentacalm isn't your average Tentacruel. It refuses to essentialise any of the characteristics that have given it its species name and instead wants to be recognised as a paradigm of goodness in the pokémon world. It wants to help you out as much as possible, and so learns both Cut and Surf as soon as you catch it and uses them both whenever you see a cuttable tree or a body of water that needs crossing.

It also refuses to use any of the techniques that the giant Tentacruel at Hatoba Port used when it ransacked the city along with its army of Tentacool, so it can't use Constrict, Wrap, Surf (in battle), Rage or Supersonic at any point. Also, because Nastina, the woman who aggravated the giant Tentacruel into attacking the port, resembles Agatha, Tentacalm refuses to fight any of her pokémon.

It also holds a grudge against Team Rocket, as the force that created the giant Tentacruel, so it must solo Giovanni every time you meet him after catching Tentacalm.

To evolve, Tentacalm must be switched out of battle with wild Tentacool fifteen times, so that it learns that not all Tentacool are prone to violence.
Lovin' it! I'm definitely taking this Tentacool. I'll probably give it Mega Drain and Bubblebeam to work with. No need to throw Ice Beam on it thanks to Lance and derp. The idea based on the giant Tentacruel episode (which was one of my favorites) really hit home for me.

Hmm...that Gastly...Sabrina's one of the toughest Gym leaders, and...hmm...lemme think about it, I might take it, but it entirely depends on the other Pokemon (Gastly can't hurt Psychic types without TMs in RBY)

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Alice in Strings gets Piercer the Beedrill. Naturally, you have to evolve it, though...But you must have a Beedrill before you hit Route 3.

Piercer is your typical Beedrill; Slow, good early game, terrible late game, but that does not stop Piercer from trying to achieve glory! Piercer, as its name suggests, like to try & pierce things as much as possible, & Piercer achieves this through using only multi-hit moves as attacking moves. Piercer also wants to prove to you that it knows what it is doing, & that its attacking style is definitely worth looking at. So it wants to do this by soloing two Gym Leaders. Maybe then you can realise how good Beedrill can be.

-Piercer the Beedrill
-Must have Beedrill before you hit Route 3
-From the moment it learns Fury Attack (Which you must teach), the only attacking moves it may use in battle are attacks that hit more than once (Fury Attack, Twineedle, Pin Missile)
-Must solo 2 Gym Leaders

Have fun. The two GL requirement is pretty easy if other challenges allow, but w/e.

I might as well do another update!

When I last posted I was umming and ahhing about whether or not the rules stated that I had to solo my rival's first two pokémon with a Magikarp. The only definite workaround was to sit around grinding it up to evolution against level 6 Ekans and Rattatas. In the end I decided that as I was given Random the Gyarados and given rules around that, I didn't have to solo my rival's pokémon just yet. So I defeated him with Fly and Opera before heading up Nugget Bridge and on towards Cerulean Cape. By the end of that Magikarp was level 18, and I could use my two Rare Candies to evolve it into Gyarados: with that, I had one of my final team members! It still didn't have any of the moves from its final moveset though.

Bulbapedia, at level 22, didn't have any trouble with Misty, and soloed her with ease to evolve. Her moveset is actually pretty terrible in this game - I'd rarely been through RBY with Bulbasaur so was used to facing her with an Oddish. Absorb is a lot harder to beat her with that Vine Whip is.

On towards Vermilion City then! I got the bike and then beat all the really disappointing trainers on Route 11. They're not a patch on the trainers on Route 6 for some reason, despite being more varied. The electricians who use Magnemite are a piece of piss because Maggy doesn't have that Steel typing yet, so even Pidgey, Jigglypuff and Ivysaur can do pretty well against them.

The S. S. Anne required a lot of trips to the pokémon center, as I can never remember which trainers have which pokémon and there's actually quite a few of them. Due to only having four pokémon, and Opera and Fly gaining exp. very quickly, I was at the rival battle with Murdoch before long. Considering that his pokémon had been around the same level as mine last time we met I was mentally prepared for a tough battle, but Random swept with no trouble at all.

I've just received Cut from the captain, and I'm going to skip Lt. Surge for tactical reasons (ie. so Ponyta can evolve later on) and head straight to Lavender Town.

The team, in order of how useful they've been, from least to most:

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 24

-Sing
-Pound
-Disable
-Doubleslap

It's actually pretty heartbreaking to put Opera last, because she's my favourite member of the team. It's a right pain in the arse having to use Sing if I'm switching her into something that'll only require a single Pound to finish off, or against something where sleeping it won't particularly benefit me. When Sing works it's excellent, but ideally I'd have some sort of stat up move to really capitalise. There's actually very little in most to least valuable so far, so there's hope for little Jiggly yet.

Random the Gyarados

Level 25

-Body Slam
-Bite
-Tackle
-Splash

The best member of the team in terms of stats, but it was a Magikarp for so long that it's not had a chance to do a lot yet. I decided to teach it Body Slam as it's an excellent move and gives me decent coverage later on when I have Surf as well. Depending on how things go I might switch it for Thunderbolt later. Not looking forward to carrying this thing through Pokémon Tower, where it's going to be totally useless. Actually Pokémon Tower is going to be really tough - all I've have that will hit ghosts are Fly's Wing Attack and Bulbapedia's Vine Whip.

Fly the Pidgey

Level 24

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Gust
-Whirlwind

Two useless moves, and two really handy ones. It's always worth putting a Sand Attack in against something that might be even slightly threatening, and my low Speed stat as a result of not evolving yet doesn't matter because of Quick Attack. Fly's swept a surprising number of trainers. Looking forward to Wing Attack.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 24

-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder
-Vine Whip

Undoubtedly has to have the title of MVP as it's soloed both gym leaders so far, as well as laying waste to all of the hikers in Mount Moon and the sailors on the ship. My only complaint is Vine Whip's crap PP, but now that it's evolved it can take a nice number of hits and Leech Seed helps with that as well. It'll be ages before Bulbapedia evolves again (level 54), but I think I can cope with that for now.

Random's Restriction said:
Solo Giovanni, your rival's first and second non-starter poke every time (after you evolve)
Rival Battle Update said:
I was at the rival battle with Murdoch before long. Considering that his pokémon had been around the same level as mine last time we met I was mentally prepared for a tough battle, but after Bulbapedia poisoned his Pidgeotto, Fly managed to sweep the whole team with Sand Attack and Quick Attack.
Hmmm......Can't tell from here, but I am hoping that Random solo'd his solo's?

Ah FUCK. Saved before the S. S. Anne and it's still sitting here beside me so I'll turn off and do it again. Shouldn't be playing at the same time as working! Thanks for bringing that up.
Well, I've done similar haha (Though I don't play and work. I play while half asleep :P)

Anyway, you are welcome. Just wanted to check :)

Well, I've done similar haha (Though I don't play and work. I play while half asleep :P)

Anyway, you are welcome. Just wanted to check :)
My job's a bit of a joke so I can usually do both at the same time. It says a lot that it's more detrimental to my Scramble than it is to my job!

Anyway, I'm through the S. S. Anne again now, Gyarados is one level higher than last time and Pidgey is one level lower. Other than that all is the same.

Nice update, Jangrafess

Looking like Opera is still a pain to use.
I am just hoping that you'll get lucky using sing, or that she evolves and her bulk makes her able to take a few hits to use them and put your opponent to sleep. Hopefully she'll prove her worth soon. Looking forward to further updates.

Alice in Strings gets Piercer the Beedrill. Naturally, you have to evolve it, though...But you must have a Beedrill before you hit Route 3.

Piercer is your typical Beedrill; Slow, good early game, terrible late game, but that does not stop Piercer from trying to achieve glory! Piercer, as its name suggests, like to try & pierce things as much as possible, & Piercer achieves this through using only multi-hit moves as attacking moves. Piercer also wants to prove to you that it knows what it is doing, & that its attacking style is definitely worth looking at. So it wants to do this by soloing two Gym Leaders. Maybe then you can realise how good Beedrill can be.

-Piercer the Beedrill
-Must have Beedrill before you hit Route 3
-From the moment it learns Fury Attack (Which you must teach), the only attacking moves it may use in battle are attacks that hit more than once (Fury Attack, Twineedle, Pin Missile)
-Must solo 2 Gym Leaders

Have fun. The two GL requirement is pretty easy if other challenges allow, but w/e.
Hey look, it's a Pokemon I love using in Gen 1. Soloing two Gym Leaders shouldn't be terribly hard. I'll probably have it solo Erika and Koga (or Misty?). My Beedrill in my first Nuzlocke was such a great 'mon, and finally died to a crit Psychic from Hypno. It would have lived if it hadn't critted, too.

The hard part will be not using Cut and things like that. Taking this Beedrill.

Ok, AiS, here is the mon I promised:

In a time before time, when the world was just starting to stablize, there was a vast predatory network of "Saurs."

Saurs were small, toad-like creatures that utilized ambush tactics to take down their prey. They were the wolves of the late Cretcacous and they knew it.

Millions of years of Evolution made them stronger than most creatures of ther size. That all changed, however, when a large comet crashed into the planet's surface in what is known as the Giant Chasm today. This impact killed millions of species of plants and launched the spores of of many others thousands of miles in every direction.

One such spore came from the Kumlious Puppetize, more comonly known as "Bulba's Puppet" named so after Professor Bulba Juniper who isolated the spore's DNA during a study of pokemon-to-plant physiology.

This spore was inhaled through the airways of the Saur species and took root in their lungs. They grew throughout the host'd body, mutating them into half plant creatures. The mutations caused their natural speed and agility to be hampered as their legs became slanted and stumped. A bulb grew on their backs, increasing their weight and attracting predators who were originally prey to them, such as Heracross. Eventually, this parasitic plant became symbiotic with the animal and began offering defense in the form of deadly spores and cutting leaves.

Fortuantly for the other animals, the new Bulbasaur was now a peaceful herbavoir instead of a vicious predator.

Ok, now, I think you know what you will be using, but I'll tell you anyway: Bulbasaur.

This Bubasaur has its genetic code's crossed and believes its a predator like its ancestors. It must use its new body in order to capture prey and devour them.

Learn Vine Whip in order to hold prey down and deliver the killing blow. Sleep Powder will be used to take down larger prey. Body Slam in order to crush the bones of prey and allow you to drink their body fluids. Rest because you require strength to kill your prey.

This Bulbasaur remembers the pretadors that were once prey. Solo the entire grass Gym.

Name this Bulbasaur Ancient because this is a being who is trapped in the future, but belongs in the past.

Ok, AiS, here is the mon I promised:

In a time before time, when the world was just starting to stablize, there was a vast predatory network of "Saurs."

Saurs were small, toad-like creatures that utilized ambush tactics to take down their prey. They were the wolves of the late Cretcacous and they knew it.

Millions of years of Evolution made them stronger than most creatures of ther size. That all changed, however, when a large comet crashed into the planet's surface in what is known as the Giant Chasm today. This impact killed millions of species of plants and launched the spores of of many others thousands of miles in every direction.

One such spore came from the Kumlious Puppetize, more comonly known as "Bulba's Puppet" named so after Professor Bulba Juniper who isolated the spore's DNA during a study of pokemon-to-plant physiology.

This spore was inhaled through the airways of the Saur species and took root in their lungs. They grew throughout the host'd body, mutating them into half plant creatures. The mutations caused their natural speed and agility to be hampered as their legs became slanted and stumped. A bulb grew on their backs, increasing their weight and attracting predators who were originally prey to them, such as Heracross. Eventually, this parasitic plant became symbiotic with the animal and began offering defense in the form of deadly spores and cutting leaves.

Fortuantly for the other animals, the new Bulbasaur was now a peaceful herbavoir instead of a vicious predator.

Ok, now, I think you know what you will be using, but I'll tell you anyway: Bulbasaur.

This Bubasaur has its genetic code's crossed and believes its a predator like its ancestors. It must use its new body in order to capture prey and devour them.

Learn Vine Whip in order to hold prey down and deliver the killing blow. Sleep Powder will be used to take down larger prey. Body Slam in order to crush the bones of prey and allow you to drink their body fluids. Rest because you require strength to kill your prey.

This Bulbasaur remembers the pretadors that were once prey. Solo the entire grass Gym.

Name this Bulbasaur Ancient because this is a being who is trapped in the future, but belongs in the past.
Hoo boy, I love this backstory. (ohgodsabrinasgonnakillme) I'm taking this Bulbasaur, and it will feast on many critters both big and small.

A final update for the day I think, before I head off to a finance meeting and then to cook dinner.

I'm in Celadon City, but I haven't gone through the Game Corner or fought Erika yet.

After finishing up at the S. S. Anne it sailed away, leaving me to scurry off back to Cerulean City and then to Rock Tunnel, which is always far longer than I remember despite only having two levels. The main problem here was, once again, Vine Whip's PP. When Random learnt Dragon Rage things were a little better, but Fly and Opera were pretty much completely useless. I managed to use them whenever I could though, to prevent Random and Bulbapedia from levelling up too far ahead of the other two.

When I got to Lavender Town I took on Murdoch again, who has a really weird collection of pokémon in this battle. Kudos to him for getting his hands on an Exeggcute and a Gyarados that knows Hydro Pump. Random soloed his Pidgeotto and Exeggcute, then Opera and Fly finished off the others, to catch up with the rest of the team on level 29. Fly learnt Wing Attack and Opera learnt Rest, so both were likely to become immediately more valuable.

I made my way through to Celadon City, along Route 8, which has a wonderful number of easy trainers who give good amounts of experience, so that helped the team out as well. Upon arrival in Celadon City, I promptly sold almost everything of worth I had to avoid having to gamble too much in the Rocket Game Corner in order to afford the Substitute TM I have to teach Random. I'm still a good 3000 pokédollars off being able to afford it though, so that can wait a while. The Oddish that I'm rolling with cut me a route to the woman with the Fly HM, so I taught that to Fly, which can evolve after it next levels up. That does mean I'll be stuck only using Fly until I beat Blaine, but Fly really needs the higher stats at the moment, so it'll be worth it.

Team as things stand, from least valuable to most:

Opera the Jigglypuff

Level 30

-Sing
-Pound
-Disable
-Rest

The addition of Rest has definitely improved Opera's fortunes, but everything else apart from Bulbapedia has got substantially better as well, so she stays bottom of the pile for now. Rest, along with my Full Heals, means that I can afford to take all the hits. Pound as her only attacking move is definitely what's holding her back, but it's only four levels until Body Slam, and then I can make some decisions about whether I want Double-Edge over Disable or not.

Fly the Pidgey

Level 29

-Quick Attack
-Sand Attack
-Wing Attack
-Fly

Fly's movepool has improved, but it hasn't done anything for me since the S. S. Anne really, apart from KO the few things that didn't wall it when going through Rock Tunnel, a job that any of the other team members were capable of anyway. Because of that, it drops down behind Random in terms of how valuable it's become. It's going to evolve into Pidgeotto next level though, and that should help.

Random the Gyarados

Level 30

-Body Slam
-Bite
-Tackle
-Dragon Rage

Not quite MVP yet, but it'll be there soon. Dragon Rage helped when Bulbapedia's Vine Whip ran out of PP passing through Rock Tunnel, and Random was once again brilliant against my rival in Pokémon Tower. Generally, if an opponent isn't really fast and packing an Electric move, Random will destroy them. Body Slam is such a good move in Generation 1.

Bulbapedia the Ivysaur

Level 30

-Tackle
-Leech Seed
-Poisonpowder
-Razor Leaf

Hasn't changed much since the last update, as it's only just learnt Razor Leaf. It was good at defeating Onix in Rock Tunnel, and got rid of some Geodude as well. I can't see it being much use when beating Rockets in the Game Corner or defeating Erika, so it may well lose its place on the pedestal come the next update.

Stellar was born into an elite Vaporeon family presiding over a group of Pikachu servants, and learned all their nature-loving ways. But when s/he was still very small, its family offended some Belossom and Vileplume who promptly came in and slaughtered them all with Petal Dance after sprinkling Speel Powder in their food. Stellar managed to escape because two of her friend Pikachu distracted the grass-types with an attack while Stellar sneaked out the side. With the help of an Eldarly Pachirisu, it sneaked itself onto a boat to Viridian city, where it got lost.

Stellar must solo all Oddish, Gloom, and Vileplume not owned by the gym trainers, must evolve to Jolteon, and must use only moves it can learn somehow in Gen4. You may not heal Ancient while Stellar is not KOd, as it hates all Grass types now, especially the predator ones. Lastly, it must learn flash and use it first when facing water types, as it wants to show off its talent to its family, however distant they may be.

Edit: For Alice

SO um I'm new here, so I don't technically know if I'm allowed to give you one, BUT Alice in Strings,
take a Clefairy named Cinderella from MT. MOON
Cinderella thinks she's a princess so she hates getting dirty.
Therefore, she refuses to use physical attacks, and won't fight any poison, bug,
rock, or ground pokemon. She must be switched out, BUT only after taking a hit to show her.. princess-ness... idk.
BUT towards the middle (5th gym) (so everything above besides the physical moves only goes to crap), she realizes it's her duty as princess to cleanse her kingdom and must use a water type move (either bubble or watergun idk of any others she could learn) against every poison, bug, rock, and ground type pokemon she meets. AND only water type moves.
She can evolve whenever you want, and she must solo all of koga's gym but cannot be used against Koga himself, for no reason... meh.
have fun!

Also, I will be doing a scramble of sapphire, but I don't want to use any of the starters. Preferably, I would take two semi-easy, but not too easy?, three medium leveled pokemon, and one extremely mind numbingly hard one. Thanks!

Whew, these last two are interesting, to say the least. God help me with Sabrina, xD. At least Jolteon has good Special and can hit 'zam with Pin Missile. I'll take both of them, never used a Clefairy before, so it should be interesting. Jolteon's generally my go-to Electric type, so I'm not too concerned about that part. Tentacalm is definitely gonna be hurting from these last two party members, since Cinderella is DEMANDING that Bubblebeam TM.

But a problem...Level 51 reserved a spot, so...yeah.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Yoohoo, take a Slakoth named Biff. If you choose to evolve it to Slaking, it cannot know Normal-type moves. However as a Vigoroth, it can only know Normal-type moves. Good luck!

Also, I will be doing a scramble of sapphire, but I don't want to use any of the starters. Preferably, I would take two semi-easy, but not too easy?, three medium leveled pokemon, and one extremely mind numbingly hard one. Thanks!
Welcome to the Scramble Challenge and to Smogon!!

If you've been lurking around, you might know who I am. If not, well, I am sorry.

Anyway, I'd like you to have Mon Key the Wingull.

Mon Key is the mon that is the key to beating the hardest relative Gym Leader in RSE: Norman!!

Catch Wingull ASAP. You need to train it in the art of Electricity before it can evolve (Learn Shockwave ASAP).

Now, Protect will be required if you are to beat Norman, so learn Protect ASAP as well.

If you have not figured out who Mon Key is soloing, I'll tell you: The Normal Gym (Gym trainers and Gym Leader alike)

After this task is done, solo Drake because a Bird has to to what a Bird has to do.

Good Luck!!

Alright, yoohoo, you want mind-boggling hard? Take OH GOD Y the Wynaut. This Wynaut must be the one that hatches from the Egg from Lavaridge Town. OH GOD Y may not have an Exp. Share, and must solo one (1) gym leader and one (1) Elite Four member.

In order to evolve into Wobuffet, he must reach level 15 without using the bait-and-switch training technique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)