ORAS NU The sucker with the scarf (Peaked #1 1803 ELO)

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hiya n_n

My name's yogibears, if you couldn't tell :3 I've been playing NU for around a year now, on and off, and have slowly gotten better and better at it (I think). Now, I originally was going to make this RMT for when I hit 100 posts, but I just didn't think I could put it out considering my ladder ranking at the time; I wanted to prove something lol, so I did n_n

Teambuilding Phase:

So, I really wanted to build a team around a weird Xatu set which I wanted, which was a physically mixed Xatu set with Sucker Punch. I liked this set mainly during the meta where Rotom was an incredibly common mon. It's not the most optimal set, but I wanted to try something different.

Next, I really wanted to try another rather underrated but effective set in scarf Aurorus, which I had used to decent success in the past. It's able to take decent neutral hits and can outspeed base 110's with a timid nature.

Lanturn plus Mesprit offer one of the best defensive cores available in the current meta, due to their ability to cover each others weaknesses with relative ease, whilst also supplying a great volt-turn core.

Next I needed a solid win con and a decent normal resist, so I opted for the deadly double dance Rhydon, giving me an easy way for late game sweeping once the opposing team is weakened.

Finally I needed just a solid spinner and a decent priority user, so Hitmonchan fitted the bill pretty nicely.

My Team:

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Heat Wave/Grass Knot
This is the mon which I based my team around, physically mixed Xatu with sucker punch. I always enjoyed the concept of lures and found that this was fantastic at luring ghosts and even weakened faster mons which it can revenge or dent. It's also able to hit mons like Steelix or Ferroseed with heat wave.

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon

Next I wanted a form of (or slight) speed control, which I chose to be Aurorus. It hard counters all weather and smacks a lot of mons that generally beat both the sash and specs sets. It can also keep decent momentum due to being able to force out a decent amount of usual switch ins.

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

Standard defensive Mesprit is fantastic in this meta. It is able to beat out a decent amount of rockers, offers a nice fighting/ground resist and can retain momentum with U-turn. It also beats Shiftry one on one if its healthy with colbur intact.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 60 HP / 140 SpA / 188 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Standard moveset for AV Lanturn, but with altered evs (I honestly cant remember what they were for, but it lived something lol). It gives me a solid fire and a soft ice resist, whilst also giving me a momentum stop to volt-turn teams.

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
The standard double dance Rhydon was an obvious choice for my wincon, as it gave me a decent normal resist whilst beating out bulky mons such as Mega-Audino and Musharna.

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch

Finally a priority user was required whilst I also needed a way of, originally, keeping hazards off the field. However, I changed rapid spin to earthquake to lure Garbodor, which usually switches in on Hitmonchan to set up hazards/get off damage.
Threatlist:
If Musharna is cm+barrier, it's able to set-up on almost everything on my team, meaning I have to carefully use a combination of Aurorus' weather and DD Rhydon.
This thing is more troublesome than threatening, but due to Hitmonchan being the only mon to properly dent it is annoying, so I have to keep it healthy.

Xatu @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- U-turn
- Heat Wave

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Mach Punch

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Aurorus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 60 HP / 140 SpA / 188 SpD / 120 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball

Allstar (even though I joke around, I really think this guy is awesome lol; even tho he's literally the oldest room voice)
Earth (I mess and joke, but seriously Earth is an awesome person and I enjoy every interaction we have)
nv (This user is, just, so, cute)
PrinceLucian (Never forget Weezing offensive)
Advantage (My fave tennis player on PS :3)
~Eternally (My official name memer/rater)
Shadestep (He's helped me test a lot and is overall a fantastic user n_n)
TTFTW (King of the weebs!)
Shaneghoul (ADV lord here; he's been helping me for such a long time lol)
Blast (My cc1v1 mentor and current guru)
Luck O' the Irish (Someone who I've started talking to recently, but is a positive and great player!)
Shadowtags (gotta love this noob)
MARCU5theBAW5 (he FINALLY got voice)
Realistic Waters (is he even human?)
MaroGod (I don't even know who this is, sounds like a noob)
Evan. (Why are you so good lol)
Killintime (Someday earth will not bully you :P)
James Jimmy (He's an eager newbie at NU, and I'm an eager newbie at Ubers)
Stoned M&M (Please don't demote me o.o)
Adaire (lol what a noob :3)
VeryPinkPancakes (NGL, love this guy! Can't believe I forgot him :o)
cyanize (dh hero)
quziel (please stop beating me with bp :( )
Dentricos (I happily accept the ladder crown :P)
erisia (mega claydol ftw)
Jarii ([shoutout redirected to the tournament room])
And to Selanio! And to everyone else who I haven't mentioned :D

Screenshot_2016-08-21-22-00-22.png

Last edited:
Congrats on the peak and thank you for the shoutout! :) I am not able to fully rate this team, because I am still new to NU, but I will get there. I'll be sure to give it a spin, though!

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
only thing i would change atm is probs Jolly > Adamant on hitmonchan. Mainly because even with colbur mesprit, your matchup versus shiftry is pretty atrocious and being able to mach punch it in a pinch would come in handy. Scarf aurorus is terrible but i won't be able to convince you of that ;] good job on the ladder peak bro.

hey yogi :3

Cool team, I really like the offensive nature and how all of these offensive, pressuring mons can check such a wide proportion of the NU meta, good job!

I have a couple suggestions, and first off its your Mesprit. I totally get why you run Eball, hitting the likes of Steelix, Rhydon and Piloswine which happen to threaten stealth rocks early game can be super annoying. However I can't help but think why you aren't running Grass Knot > EBall. In my opinion this is the superior grass coverage option, since hitting Rhydon / Steelix / Piloswine for more base power is extremely useful, especially vs Lix considering the fact your xatu is an offensive variant. 120 bp vs 80 bp makes all the difference between Mesprit picking up kills and damage early doors versus not getting damage early doors and letting rocks go up unapposed.

Also I looked at your threatlist and found Musharna, have you maybe considered running Frost Breath > Flash Cannon? This allows you to win 1v1 vs most Musharna due to hail reducing moonlight to no restoring power and frost breath hitting through calm mind boosts and doing big dmg. I think the swap overall lessens the threat level of Musharna overall.

Finally I'm not a fan of U-Turn on Offensive Xatu sets, I think it really gives away the set and I think you would more so benefit from Roost to beat Bronzor and Ferroseed more reliably 1v1 which happen to put work in once xatu eventually drops. If you are adamant you want to keep U-Turn, I would reccomend replacing sucker cause it's kinda gimmicky but its cool so I would rather suggest Roost > U-Turn

Thats it from me, congratulations on the peak and the excellent team!
~HJAD

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Use Scarf Abomasnow over Aurorus, it outspeeds other Scarf Aurorus and gives you something to revenge SD Samurott with. Even LO Abomasnow might be worth testing because it's better at pressuring Musharna and Ice Shard's nice for Lilligant, while Hasty's still just fast enough to beat Adamant Samurott. Lack of 'natural' Speed is annoying but with 3 forms of priority it shouldn't be impossible to live without.

The only change I disagree with so far is Roost on Xatu, I've really never found any practical use for Roost on offensive Xatu because it's far too frail to use it and pressed for moveslots as it is. U-turn's also important for maximizing pressure on Malamar and chipping away at bulky Psychic-types.

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)