Introduction
[/size]

May Groudon pour out His divine light on this team...​

[size=+2]
First Glance
[/size]
"never judge a videogame by its packing"

Me

Hello!!! Welcome to my post of my latest OU team and my introduction on the smogon community, well this is my sun team; I created this team because sun is my favorite weather in Pokémon and since the intro of drought ninetales in B/W sun based teams have become quite viable. So i made my mind and created this! a sun team based around Venusaur with its new arsenal consisting on an amazing ability, chlorophyll, and the newly buffed growth, and with great results in the online metagame I can say that im very proud of it BUT, i indeed feel that something more can be improved on this team to make it even more epic so I invite you to rate comment and subscribe!!! Something wrong there huh? And do it in a constructive way for the sake of arceus... in simple words no trolling >>
PD: Even if this is my post No.1 in smogon I have been checking it for more than a year now xD but I was just to lazy to activate my account...
PD2: English is not my native language so i apologize beforehand if my grammar is burning your eyes.

[size=+2]
Team Building
[/size]
"We cannot conceive of matter being formed of nothing, since things require a seed to start from... Therefore there is not anything which returns to nothing, but all things return dissolved into their elements."

William Shakespeare

This whole team was started with a very simple purpose: Creating a solid and successful team for the OU tier using the sun weather, as many of you probably know, building a sand or a rain team isn`t that hard with so many pkmns to use but, assembling a solid sun team is more than just slapping a weather inducer and adding 5 weather sweepers. So while looking on smogon i took interest in Venusaur and well i decided to create a team using the 3rd pkmn in the Dex, the flower lizard, to sweep under the sun because of its new powers (chlorophyll and growth) made him the best sun sweeper ever.

The fire fox is what makes a competitive sun team viable so i recruited it, besides ninetales is not a bad mon it has plenty of utilities like trolling politoed`s rain and T-tars`s sandstorm... but overall ninetales is used to set up the sun, spread burns and defeat some top tier threats like Excadrill, so usually I don`t let it die until the weather war is over.

If experience with other failed sun teams have given me anything useful, is that something to stop dragons is MUST in this gen so i called Vulcan for this team mainly to tank predicted draco meteors, stop rampaging Outrages and counter them with HP ice. As heatran is the only steel type that is benefited from the sun *evil glare at ferrothorn and forretress* with incredible moves like fire blast, flamethrower or even lava plume! She is also able to set rocks to cripple giant moths and fire dragons that tries to take advantage of the sun and is a perfect counter to other drought teams.

Something was needed to stop water attacks and have a ground inmunity while still doing damage and the mence was able to do the job just right while he also was able to maintain offensive pressure on the opponent by using DD or a mixed set to catch opponents off guard. Intimidate is also useful to troll Conkeldurr and help the salamander to get a DD or attack the switch in.

I decided to give shiftry a shot to be Venusaur sidekick on the sun as i saw that he had some similar boost like venusaur and covering each other weakness very well, and now with the boosted growth shiftry becomes a very serious sweeper. shiftry is not a sweeper you put it in midgame this is a late game sweeper that usually nab a growth and end the battle.

I was being raped by special attacks of many many pkmns like nasty plot thundurus so i found the perfect lady for the job, blissey! While she is able to heal status and pass the best wish in the game blissey also benefits from the sun in the form of flamethrower overall she was well recived in the team as a true cleric and also as a true sponge soaking all those hydro pumps from politoed starmie etc.

having 3 weakness to fight was a no no for sure as i quikly realized that I was being raped by conkeldurr and some lucario variants so cya shiftry maybe next time you could be part of my team... and hello tangrowth, a good mon with physical bulkness that this team will apreciate while conserving the ability to growth into a big menace in the end game by the cost of losing some speed.

While mence was good on the offensive spectrum it gave nothing in the defensive so it was replaced by dragonite!!! a truly quality monster that i was eager to use in this gen for its new DW ability bestowed to it, multiscale (like sturdy but better). And there was even more than that from Dragonite as he has one of the greatest priority moves in the game... Extremespeed that helps KOing weakened pkmns in the endgame.

Tangrowth was kind of a burden to the team as venu did the exact same role on it and I really hated how low SpD tangrowth had. Then Dugtrio was suggested by many people and it turned out pretty well. Able to revenge annoying heatran`s, T-tar`s, tentacruel`s, excadrill`s and many more. If I can keep the sash on dugtrio (with either wish-passing or sending it out in the first turn) then it becomes a solid revenge killer to the likes of Terrakion and some kinds of politoed. Also I replaced Choice Band Dnite with DDnite because being locked into something that is weak to stealth rock is just not my thing.
[size=+2]
A closer look
[/size]
"It all has to come from inside, though, I guess."

Jimi Hendrix

Keaton

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 92 SpD / 164 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Hidden power Fight/Ground​

Once a sub-par pkmn now a metagame definer, ninetales was really blessed with an excellent ability: drought, the ability to create infinite sunlight until something else changes the weather. ninetales main purpose in the team is setting the sun so other abusers can hit hard and fast. Will-O-Wisp is a shaky but rewarding move allowing me to cripple many threats and substitute helps easing prediction against many things like T-tar. Flamethrower serves as a solid attack under the sun even with 0 investments on it, and also is useful for scare scizor. Hidden power fight is good against Tar and to pop Heatran Ballon, while HP ground is especially for Heatran once his ballon is popped. I usually don’t lead with Tales because it is usually faster than all weathers inducers, meaning no sun in the first turn and risking opposing pkmns to set up hazards early in the match which could turn into scary thing with my lack of a rapid spinner.
Job on the Team
Ninetales main job is keeping the sun up so my other`s mons can abuse sunlight.
Status inducer.
Main check of Excadrill and Toxicroak.
Replaceable?
Unless Groudon is Unbanned, NO.

Deku Tree

Venusaur (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
- Growth
- Energy Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden power Fire​

This pkmn is just EPIC; this is the pinnacle of sunlight abuse! A truly monster under the sun. It is equipped with everything necessary to sweep entire teams once his checks are down, starting with growth a great move that under sunlight raise both attack and SpA to +2 just in one turn of setup, that alone makes Venu an excellent sweeper right off the bat. Energy ball is there as the main STAB because using solarbeam is just too risky in weather wars where you need to hit fast and hard whenever you have a chance, its useful even without growth, able to net a clean KO on a cloyster with shell smash, starmie and thundurus with stealth rock damage. Sludge bomb for dragon coverage killing the lati twins, hydreigon, salamence, etc and is a great counter against thundurus with stealth rock on the field. And HP fire is for steels like ferrothorn or skarmory. This bomb is usually deployed in the middle of the battle creating holes so other pkmns can finish the team. This pkmn enjoy having heatran around to set rocks and ease the sweep, stealth rock as you can see is useful to net important KOs when Venu doesn’t have a growth under his belt. Another bonus of having heatran around is that venu enjoy being able to cover his fire weakness by playing mind games with the opponent predicting a switch into heatran allowing me to grab a free boost with growth as they use a move that can`t KO saur.
Job on the Team
Main Set up Sweeper.
Toxic Spikes absorber.
Replaceable?
Maybe using sleep powder somewhere or a full physical one... but the pkmn itself is the heart of the team so what do you think >>

Gohma

heatran (F) @ Air Ballon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth power
- Hidden power Ice​

Heatran is an amazing pkmn being able to cover many things in this team; she is able to set up hazards in the form of stealth rock. The fire blast from this lady is freaking amazing and can 2KO many things even if it’s resisted. Earth power is for an opposing heatran and with timid nature I can secure that I’m going to outspeed all other heatrans variants except the scarfed one. Heatran was choose to repel dragons and fuck them with HP ice in return. the EV`s are pretty simple but effective. Even with no investment in Def this heatran serves well for checking pkmns like volcarona or scarf darmanitan, the last with a little of prediction. This pkmn has great synergy with venusaur and dragonite, able to cover up the serious ice weakness they share and able to come into fire attacks aimed at venusaur to nab a flash fire boost.
Job on the Team
Stealth rocker lol.
Dragon Wall.
Fire abuser.
Fire absorber.
Replaceable?
Maybe a replace for a more defensive variant or if you can find me a flash fire ferrothorn.

Valoo

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extremespeed/earthquake​

I found that the only thing equally good than a than a Choice Dnite is a DD nite. I myself can’t say that this is better than the choice version but my lack of rapid spin really makes difficult to play Dnite on this team as he becomes set up fodder once my opponent is aware that Dnite is running a choice set. So a DD set was the obvious solution as It have the same power as the choice set after one turn of set up but it’s able to change to the appropriate move in case the opponent switch. Dragon dance is there for obvious reasons, Outrage instead of Dclaw because I use lum berry, Fire Punch to take advantage of the sun so I can fry scizor, ferrothorn, etc. Extremespeed over earthquake to conserve a priority move when I’m in a pinch and I don’t manage a DD to sweep also because I see that earthquake would be only to hit heatran and chandelure both who are pretty well covered by dugtrio or blissey. Lum berry is a very important item not just to recover from outrage side effect but also to boost Dnite set up fodder pool. As he can DD on ferrothorn face as he T-Wave me or choose to spike me, a chandelure that tries to burn me, etc.
Job on the Team
Physical set up sweeper.
Priority user.
Fire abuser.
Replaceable?
A mixed Dnite??? lol.

Valoo

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Extremespeed​

With time everybody is going to see that dragonite > salamence since Multiscale, that ability that changed completely how to play with dragonite. This is usually my true lead so multiscale doesn’t get wasted do to the fact that i don’t have a rapid spinner on this team but, is not a big deal having stealth rock on the field as I have blissey to pass giant wishes. KOing something in the first turn of the battle is great and not many things can survive a max attack choice band outrage, mienshao is KOed using only dragon claw and doesnt stand a chance of KOing with HP ice, politoeds die to an outrage if they are scarfed and to are severely crippled by Outrage. Dragon claw is used to KO something and not get revenge killed next turn. Fire punch is dragonite way of abusing sunlight and is able to KO ferrothorn and skarmory with stealth rock damage (to cancel sturdy). Extremespeed brings a much needed priority to the team and serves as a counter to threats that have gone out of my control namely thundurus with prior stealth rock damage and +4,-2 cloyster.
Job on the Team
Raw attack power.
Priority user.
Fire abuser.
Replaceable?
If there is something better than this let me know.

Like Like

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Claw/Sucker Punch​

Dugtrio was tangrowth replacement to eliminate opposing weather inducers right off the bat. Surprisingly many people tend to place his/her weather inducer in the first turn of the match giving me an opportunity to screw many sand teams and cripple opposing toeds. Another unexpected benefit of having dugtrio on the team is that he is a sure heatran and chandelure counter, as blissey is usually so intimidating that most of them usually switch the turn they see blissey entering, not letting her to eliminate or cripple them quickly enough so that venu can start a sweep. Stone edge is for pretty much anything that is a flying type and volcarona. Shadow claw is for gengar and sucker punch when I feel that i need another priority on the team or another way to kill latios.
Job on the Team
Revenge Killer.
Opposing Weather Hitman.
Replaceable?
Currently under extensive testing but, feel free to sugest anything else.

Maku Tree

Tangrowth (F) @ Wide Lens
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpD)
- Sleep Powder
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power Fire​

Tangrowth is without a doubt a very bulky mon providing a solid wall like pkmn and a lot of power with her STABed power whip and a pseudo STAB with HP fire. Growth is to power up Tangrowth to obscene levels and finishing weakened teams in the end of the match. Sleep powder was added instead of growth to cripple possible counters and top threats. Power whip is the main attacking move able to kill almost anything not resisted. Rock slide over earthquake for Dragons while still hitting hard fire types and is a check against +1 volcarona. HP fire to bypass steel types with the exception of heatran but, I have to worry about sturdy users without stealth rock on the field mainly of skarmory because he can brave bird or phase my growth with whirlwind. Tangrowth and heatran make an excellent duo covering each other mutual weakness pretty well, and tangrowth appreciate having stealth rock on the field.
Job on the Team
Cleaner.
Chlorophyll abuser.
Main Volcarona Counter.
Physical Wall.
Replaceable?
A rapid spinner or a strong wall like conkeldurr?

Impa

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect / toxic
- Seismic toss / Flamethrower​

A great cleric in my opinion the pink blob is a solid sponge as ever being able to tank many things like volcarona (in the case heatran is not KOed) any variant of hydreigon, except mixed ones that nobody uses anymore, politoed, etc. moves are designed for a cleric: heal bell is an amazing move to carry when you have a burned choice user or a paralyzed venusaur that the opponent thought had no chance of doing anything useful. Wish is for healing an injured ninetales and is useful for reactivating multiscale on dragonite (since nite doesn’t have roost) and help to ease a switch in. protect is mostly for the wish + protect combo and is useful when you need to scout a choice pkmn, it also allow blissey to survive what would be a KO the next turn. Toxic is also useful but it has far less utility its mainly used against chandelure which is a pain in the ass, and to deal consistent damage on set up sweepers like volcarona. And last but not least seismic toss is for consistent damage and avoid being totally walled by heatran, while flamethrower is for some sunlight abuse power against scizor ferrothron who always try to leech seed blissey for a load of health.
Job on the Team
Cleric.
Wish passing.
Sponge.
Choice Spec counter.
Scout.
Replaceable?
Perhaps by snorlax or chansey...?

[size=+2]
Threat List
[/size]
“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Threats Level Gouge
High Medium Low

Popular PKMNs

Ferrothorn this mon has a hard time just being out in the field as 4 of my 6 pkmn have a fire type move to fry the steel durian.
Tyranitar the almighty T-rex is the main rival of tales in weather wars, but now with dugtrio around the green barny is a piece of cake. If T-tar decides to kill a member of my team then it`s the end of the weather war.
Scizor Same as Ferrothorn with the only difference that he can seriously hurt Venusaur , Dragonite and Blissey before being roosted with a fire move.
Politoed A true pain in the ass, not only bulky, annoying, an able to rest but, also able to not only take the weather out but halves the attacking power of many of my moves. Deal having Stealth rock in the field + burning it so it will take 1/4 of its life every times he dares to switch in.
Gliscor Somewhat of a threat when sun isn`t up or heatran has lost his balloon otherwise it represent no threat at all. Either way Heatran also outspeed the common gliscor set, so its usually no big deal if heatran isnt in the air.
Latios Another mean pkmn, as it usually specs it’s an easy check for Blissey and sometimes dugtrio but, when they have trick or psyshock (the latter being more common) they are hard to deal with (psyshock applies only for blissey).
Rotom-W (No Wash sprite :( ) In the sun it`s unable to fire that overpowered spec hydro pump and my grass core resist T-bolt while Heatran doesn’t fear at all to HP ice. Blissey totally wall it once it have used trick (usually tales take the trick).
Excadrill Excadrill is totally checked by tales and if in a rare case where tales is KOed, then Balloon heatran can terminate the sand mole.
Thundurus When the team have stealth rock on the field then facing thundurus is like facing a magicarp with splash, harmless. Venu can KO him, if its rash then sludge bomb is a sure KO, Dugtrio with the sash is also a good counter with stone edge.
Dragonite This mon is like a Jack-in-the-box, that thing can do anything from offensive to support roles, to counter this pkmn all depends on what set is it using, if it’s a DD set its very hard to stop, a dragon tail abuser depends if it have a sub up or not, rain abusers are easy as my own dragonite can KO even with multiscale and they usually don’t carry a move strong enough to KO my Nite. Dragonite... what a pkmn.
Heatran Somewhat of a trouble, as it a perfect wall against my 2 main sweepers but offensive and SpD variants can be 2KOed by dragonite`s Outrage, heatran can counter all variants (if he still carry the balloon) as I still have to see another timid heatran with max speed EV`s.
Jirachi Another possible threat depending on the set. Calm mind versions MUST be stopped before the second calm mind or at least i must make sure that heatran is in the field by the time he is calm minding, scarf versions are easier to take on as many things out speed and 2KO this little guy, special versions or rain abusers are usually easy to deal with Heatran`s obscene fire blast.
Reuniculus The giant unicellular organism is somewhat of a threat now that I use a DDnite but overall it can be stopped if I can send Heatran in to fry it. Trick room versions are a pain in the ass as all my mons depends on a high speed to sweep, the good thing is that TR sets usually don’t have recover meaning that I can just get it to low health and end it`s misery when TR is down.
Skarmory Same as ferrothorn but can be a pain because of sturdy, which gives him the opportunity to either phase or harm my sweepers with brave bird or whirlwind respectively.
Conkeldurr A really hard pkmn to deal with, as it usually bulk up whenever he has a chance... If i can get venu or nite unharmed and with no bulk up then it`s checked otherwise im in a world of pain! Basically this pkmn inspired me to wrote this RMT and hear from other experts how to counter this machamp rip-off.
Gengar All gengar`s in this gen use the sub + disable set which is REALLY annoying it usually cost me 1 or 2 mons trying to counter it if he manage to enter and get a sub up... another mayor issue to my team.
Jellicent -___- complete set up fodder for either venu or Dnite.

[size=+2]
Last Look
[/size]
"Sometimes we stare so long at a door that is closing that we see too late the one that is open."

Alexander Graham Bell

I hope you have enjoyed reading this RMT if there is any doubt, grammar error or something you think i should add just leave a post! and please if you plan to use this team at least say it to your opponent as a true competitive an honest player! This is Solrac signing out, cya, adios auf wiedersehen!
PD: Also if you think I could add something more to improve the aesthetic view of this RMT let me know! pimp:

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nice team, but WHY THE **** does Blissey have a Choice Band?

I think you have a serious problem against DD dragons. Since nobody on your team can take multiple hits from them and Venusaur won't be revenge killing them ever. It seems that Tangrowth is the most replaceable member, so I guess I'll go with this slot. You list Tangrowth as a Volcorona counter even though you'll get fried instantly. I suggest using a Choice Scarf Landorus in its place. Landorus can take the dragons out with Stone Edge/ HP Ice, and it also offers you the always useful ground immunity.

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
Sand Force
Naive
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpA
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Hidden Power Ice
U-Turn

Welcome to Smogon btw.

haha sorry for that it was a mistake i used the same skeleton for all of them i supose i forgot to change it xD thanks man

yeah tangrowth is mostly as a filler right now, landorus idea is a great one but idk if having 2 choiced pkmn is the way to go in this team

Maybe replace tangrowth with cresselia?

Covers the conkeldurr weakness up nicely and morning is always a plus.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Levitate
Bold
252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
Calm Mind
Psychic
Morning Sun
HP Bug/HP fighting/HP electric/Ice beam

Dugtrio is also a nasty counter to other weather starters it just traps and kills.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Arena Trap
Adamant/Jolly
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Earthquake
Sucker Punch
Filler
Filler

Your team is rather heavy on the Specially Offensive side. Maybe you should switch Venusaur to a Sawsbuck, to balance out the team a little more.

cress idea is a very interesing one! but adding sawsbuck return my problem of having 3 fighting weakness on the team. the only thing that worry me of putting in cress is that i would have 5 special pkmn and only dragonite to hit on the physical spectrum. while the dugtrio idea to counter T-tar is a good one. thanks keep up with the feedback! testing landorus now ill try cress and dugtrio later. maybe earthquake instead of dragon claw on Dnite...?

I like the Dugtrio suggestion. Focus Sash + Reversal beats T-Tar every time, and EQ + Reversal KO's Politoed. Remove the opponents weather, win the war. GLB.

some calcs on dugtrio
adamant dugtrio reversal at 1hp vs 252 / 252 bold toed 51.6% - 60.9%
adamant dugtrio earthquake vs 252 / 252 bold toed 39.1% - 46.1%
indeed there are few times where bulky toeds are going to be KOed right off the bat. ill try it out for sure now.

Hey there. Nice team.

Although, something that is really hampering your team's effectiveness is the lack of a rapid spinner. This is especially problematic since Ninetales is weak to Stealth Rock, not to mention it nullifies Dragonite's Multi-Scale. Tangrowth isn't really necessary for your team, seeing as how Venusaur handles the role of a chlorophyll abuser and revenge killer pretty well. You also lack a physical wall. To fix both of these issues, replace Tangrowth with a Forretress.

Rapid Spin Forretress
Forretress @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Volt Switch

Forretress can not only provide your team with crucial Rapid Spin support, but it can run Toxic Spikes and Spikes to cripple your opponent even further. Volt Switch allows Forretress to escape from common switch-ins such as Magnezone, Politoed, and Jellicent, and bring in appropriate counters; it acts as a pseudo-phazing move.

Again, nice team. Hope I helped, and good luck!

thnx ill try that forretress after i finish up testing dugtrio! anybody else please add your oppinion to improve this team! feedback is always apreciated. I added earthquake instead of dragon claw on Dnite for heatran. dugtrio is quite a success able to KO all tars and all heatrans (minus balloon one).

Updated with DD nite and dugtrio instead of tangrowth!
PD: yay!! I got +1k of visits but almost no feedback I wonder why...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)