The Taskforce

#ProtectLilBatallcosts
(Why are there no 80x80 Thunderus-T sprites lol based god pls)

INTRO

As just a brief introduction to me and my team, my name is Buonomo I've been battling competitively since 4th gen but I stopped after they re-introduced Garachomp into OU because I thought it was a retarded decision and it basically caused me to completely lose faith in the Smogon tiering system. Recently while queuing up for a game of league I decided to get back on Showdown. Long story short it caused me to realize what an insignificant impact Garachomp had on the 5th gen OU meta due to power creep. I had thrown a team together rather quickly because I didn't have a lot of time but after getting stomped (because Draven is very, very balanced) I reworked the team into what it is today. Its been reasonably successful, 11-2 on Showdown, not great, considering that most battlers on Showdown are complete jokes, but not bad either. Its still very flawed though and I could use your help finding those flaws because I became pretty bad while I was away.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Superpower

Every OU team should have a Mamoswine. This thing can crush a bunch of important walls in the tier, along with being able to deal with literally every dragon type and generally being the tier's best priority user. For the most part Mamoswine deals with any walls Terrakion cannot OHKO, especially the creature which haunts Terrakion's darkest nightmares, Gliscor. I run Adamant nature because Mamoswine is in a pretty unique speed tier for OU, it outspeeds all the defensive pokes (except Gliscor, who it Ice Shards), but is outsped by all offensive pokes. By running Adamant the only significant pokes I no longer outspeed are Timid Heatran, Jolly Breloom and Timid Politoed. All of these are rarities. I'm probably using an illegal move on this set because I'm using the DW ability

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt​

Jellicent takes physical hits. Its the prototypical bulky water of 5th gen and has great type synergy with the other half of my defensive core, Heatran. Its defensive stats aren't actually that great so it has trouble with some of the really hard hitters in the tier, most notably Breloom, whose name you will see alot in this RMT because he takes a giant dump on my team and I need help playing against him. Notably if its a Poison heal set, the Breloom can't be burned which is probably Jellicent's best utility. Nevertheless, Breloom isn't some kind of omnipresent threat in OU and Jellicent deals with most other physical attackers very well, spreading status and being very durable as well with Recover.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock​

Heatran takes special hits. It has a great typing for it, great synergy with Jellicent and fairly massive bulk. He sets rocks for my team and is therefore generally my lead. Otherwise he does a good job of spreading status, scouts and stalls with Protect and can hit fairly hard even un-invested due to naturally massive SpA. He's pretty much the most solid poke on my team, does his job pretty much every game.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake​

Terrakion is here to revenge kill and clean up teams once they've been squishied up by the rest of my team. Even a scarfed Close Combat hits stupid hard so after Mamoswine and the others have done a little damage Terrakion can go out and OHKO and outspeed everything. The moveset is completely standard, EQ is just there in the case that it and Stone Miss are the only moves that can KO and I want perfect accuracy. Considering swapping this for ScarfApe because Breloom dumpsters my team so hard, but that thing doesn't hit quite as hard as Terrakion

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]​

Latias is here to abuse setup fodder like Ferrothorn and Forretress. To prevent these things from sitting in a dumping hazards all day I offer the threat of a boosted Latias. The SubCM set serves this purpose very well, better than RoostCM as it prevents the status these thing will try to put on you. Any non-seismic tossing setup fodder will not be able to break Latias' subs especially if they are using special attacks. Otherwise, Latias is a relatively fast poke with good coverage even if its not the hardest hitter out there and is generally very solid.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

Thunderus-T is here to hit really, really fucking hard. He works as a wallbreaker, rather like Mamoswine, and helps chunk the enemy team out for Terrakion. He also has two immunities, both of which help out my defensive core significantly and has great defensive typing for an offensive poke, this, along with Volt Absorb make him surprisingly durable. He also deals with Breloom well, which is a godsend for my team as long as he isn't put asleep. Volt Switch also helps with scouting switches and all that good stuff.

I am aware the team is flawed and as I mentioned its picked apart pretty hard by Breloom. I'd like your guys help identifying other threats and helping me adapt the team to them. May the light of Based God shine down upon all of you.

Just realized I should be running Celebi over Jelli I'm retarded. Can't find the way to edit posts on this new board lol.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Buonomo, very interesting team you have here. It features some really strong OU threats like CM Latias, Thundurus-T, and Jellicent, which I think is great right now.

As you mentioned yourself, SubPunch Breloom is a huge bitch to this team. It's true that it's not the most common, but other Breloom sets are hard to deal with as well. It can come in on a Jellicent Recover or a Heatran Protect, Spore something and then set up to do massive amounts of damage, or even sweep if it's late-game. There are a few things you can do that can beat both sets, though. First of all, change Latias's EV spread to 252 HP / 252 Spe /4 SDef. This will allow it to not be 2HKO'd by Breloom's Focus Punch (40.38 - 47.52% with the new spread). Also, give it Recover over Hidden Power Fire. You don't really need HP Fire, since you shouldn't be trying to set up on Scizor anyway (it beats you in the Rain regardless), and you have Jellicent and Heatran that should have no problem eliminating Scizor before Latias even enters the field. The only other thing you hit with HP Fire are Ferrothorn and Forretress, but you can set up on them anyway, which you already said.

Next, I would give Mamoswine Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash and give it a Jolly nature over Adamant. By changing the nature, you will always out-speed breloom, even ones that run Jolly nature. You'll also out-speed Adamant Dragonite (all Dragonite). Icicle Spear is also a really neat move for Mamoswine, since it helps it beat the things that it should beat but can sometimes give it trouble like Sash Breloom and Dragonite with Multiscale intact. It also helps you deal with your SubPunch Breloom problem, since it can break through the Sub and stop him from Focus Punching you. All in all, I think your team will find more use in Icicle Spear than Icicle Crash.

Hope I was able to help! Good luck with the team!

Sets

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Substitute

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Superpower

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello.

I noticed that you said that you changed Celebi to Jellicent which is a great move IMO, because it still fits very well with Heatran and helps you deal with Breloom a bit better. I'm not sure which Celebi variant you are planning to use, but I would definitely give some thought to a CM BP variant to help pokemon such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Latias sweep while still providing great synergy alongside these pokemon. I also think that you have enough freedom to change your Latias set to something that hits a bit harder, as there are pokemon that you'd ultimately like to get rid of ASAP but can't because Latias is too weak to sweep instantly. For instance, Latias is a great Garchomp check for your team, as Mamoswine can't switch in safely against Garchomp on many instances. However, you can only 2HKO Garchomp given your current set-up, despite the fact that your team has great offensive potential. With the pokemon you currently have, your team has the potential to put some serious offensive pressure on most teams.

3 Attacks LO Latias is a good idea because you can hit hard and fast, because most of the times when you switch in Latias on a Forry or Ferro, your opponent will be suspecting HP Fire and won't let you set up as easily. Instead of attempting to set up, you could hit hard and switch out to other pokemon to finish the job. Pokemon on your team such as Thundurus or Terrakion are great clean-up sweepers that really benefit off of hard hitting pokemon such as LO Latias that make their jobs easier. Additionally, with the introduction of CM BP Celebi, Latias makes one of Celebi's best CM recipients thanks to it's coverage, speed, and stat distribution.With Celebi in the mix, you can worry less about Breloom as long as you choose to run Psychic. Sometimes, it is tough to play around Breloom because of how sleep works in 5th gen, but as long as you let Breloom sleep pokemon on a case-by-case situation depending on your opponent's team, you should have less trouble as Thundurus, Latias, and Celebi are all great responses to Breloom.

Celebi @Leftovers
Bold 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
Calm Mind/Psychic/Recover/Baton Pass

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid 252 Satk/252Spe/4 HP
Draco Meteor/Psyshock/HP Fire/Recover

Don't change too much with your team, because I like the direction you are going with it, and I like the offensive choices you chose to implement. As long as you keep applying pressure to your opponent, this is a very solid team. Hope I helped. =)

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I feel completely obligated to rate this as a fellow protector and worshipper of the Based God, Lil B #bitchmob #protectlilb #taskforce even though i hate pokemon

anyways this team is one of the better ones around this board but has a bit of trouble breaking stall, i think you could maybe try out a nasty plot thundurus over your current set, as while Blissey/Chansey aren't that common, any good stall team will still have a very solid answer to the core of Mamoswine/Terrakion, probably going even further than Skarmory [which the core cant break without hax] and will also have an answer to CM Latias [psong celebi, jirachi]. anyways your wallbreaker mamoswine is walled by a lot of shit that thundurus sets up on [ie jellicent skarm] and once it gets up an np it can pretty much tear a huge hole in a lot of stall, semistall, basically anything defensive, plus using an sr weak choice user with no spinner [especially a specs rather than a scarf] seems a lot less effective than np thundurus would be. also i'd probably change up that latias as well, i think cm/roost/dragon pulse/hp fire with 252 hp/spe is the best set because it gives insurance against breloom, landorus, etc and can probably benefit off of thundurus destroying all the special walls and stuff after it gets off an np.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Expert Belt/Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

[LO makes you easier to stall out but obviously hits harder, lefties are probably cool too but I like ebelt the best]

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
have a nice day dude, keep it #based and remember lil b loves you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)