The Team With Two Leads

Introduction:
This is a team I have been using for a very long time. My first version of this team was made in May 2009 after seeing a successful team use lead Breloom plus a LatiLuke combination. In its earliest incarnation, this team was similar to its current state but had a Metagross instead of Heatran, a Choice Band set for Tyranitar, a more offensive EV spread for Gyarados, and ThunderPunch over Stone Edge on Breloom. My team has since been updated and improved. Less than a month ago, this current version took me to #50 on the OU ladder, with a CRE of 1516. However, my rating sharply dropped afterward, and so I am looking for ways to improve my team. This team focuses on using team members that support each other to let Lucario, or sometimes Latias, sweep.

Team at a glance:

The Details:

The First Lead:

Breloom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spore
- Seed Bomb
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Breloom may seem like an odd choice for a lead, but it actually works well. It can immediately give me the upper hand against every lead that does not outspeed me or carry a Lum Berry, which includes Azelf, Swampert, Heatran, Roserade, and most Metagross, Breloom's purpose on this team is to keep the opponent from setting up Stealth Rock, but not instantly dying afterward of becoming dead weight the way an Aerodactyl would. Immediately after putting one Pokemon to sleep with Spore, Breloom switches, usually to Heatran, and can be used for revenge-killing later on. I chose to use a Jolly nature rather than the recommended Adamant one so that I could always be faster than the +1 Jolly Tyranitar that are running around everywhere these days.

The Second Lead:

Heatran (M) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 6 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Heatran is my Stealth Rock user, and the first Pokemon I go to after Breloom puts the opponent's lead to sleep. This Heatran works well for this role because of its unpredictability; the opponent usually expects it to be a Scarfed Heatran, especially if it has taken Stealth Rock damage. This makes the opponent not expect a move switch, which sometimes leads to Heatran getting an KO as well as setting up SR. I chose the Shuca Berry as Heatran's item so that I would be able to bluff a Choice Scarf, and that I can sometimes survive an Earthquake or Earth Power and then explode. This is a particularly useful strategy against Celebi and Shaymin. The item is not particularly necessary on this Heatran; Heatran could just as easily use other gimmicky options like Passho Berry or Quick Claw.

The Midgame Sweeper:

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/184 Spd/96 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Gyarados is often the first Pokemon to come out after Heatran. This Gyarados serves the purpose on my team as being a midgame opener that can draw out some of the Pokemon that could counter my main sweeper, Lucario. Gyarados attracts Rotom-h, Jirachi, Metagross, and Gengar, all of which can potentially stop a Lucario sweep. This Gyarados also helps my team do well against stall, because it can Taunt Skarmory, Bounce Latias, and lure out Rotom-h for Tyranitar to eliminate. Gyarados is often the first member of my team to go down, because it mainly serves a supporting role to Lucario and is often used to absorb hits from mixed sweepers.

The Bait and the Trap:

Tyranitar (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk/208 Spd/50 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Flamethrower
- Pursuit
- Superpower

After Gyarados or Latias has drawn out a piece of Pursuit bait, Tyranitar comes in to Pursuit it to death. This is instrumental in helping my team, because it removes Lucario counters like Scarfed Rotom-h and Gengar. But that is not Tyranitar's only purpose; it can also remove threats to the team through baiting. An innumberable number of times, my opponent has switched in Scizor after getting a Pokemon killed by Pursuit, and gets Fire Blasted to the face when trying to U-turn. Also, Tyranitar can take out Lucario, Blissey, Empoleon, and other Tyranitar with Superpower. This threat removal removes the Pokemon that could keep Latias from sweeping in the late game.

The Powerful Opener:

Latias (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Trick

There is a good reason some people consider this set to be Uber. On this team, Latias not only displays the characteristic power present in its Choice Specs set, but it also serves a defensive role, switching into attacks with its many resistances and revenge-killing some threats with its above-average speed. Latias can also often sweep late-game with either Thunderbolt or Surf once Tyranitar has removed the opponent's Latias counter. By acting as Pursuit bait, Latias can also give Lucario to set up on a Choiced Dark attack. Latias also attracts Bullet Punches, which Lucario can set up on as well.

The Lategame Cleaner:
Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance

Lucario is arguably the best late-game sweeper in OU, especially with the right support. My team gives Lucario support by setting up Stealth Rock with Heatran, luring out threats to Lucario with Gyarados, eliminating those threats with Tyranitar, Latias, or Heatran, and giving Lucario an opprotunity to set up with Latias. Once my other Pokemon have fulfilled their roles, little will stop Lucario from sweeping, especially against a stall team. Also, if a situation absolutely requires priority, Lucario can revenge-kill threats that can otherwise sweep my team.

Threat List:

Aerodactyl: Against Breloom as a lead, it Taunts and sets up Stealth Rock while I use Seed Bomb twice. It sets up Stealth Rock and forces me to switch, but faints.

Azelf: Gets put to sleep by Breloom's Spore. Azelf usually stay in, so I can switch to Tyranitar and OHKO with Pursuit/Crunch and Sandstorm. Sweeper variants can usually do little to Heatran.

Blissey: Tyranitar's Pursuit often convinces Blissey users that I am Scarfed, so after they switch in Blissey, it is easily OHKOed by Superpower. Latias can Trick it, and Heatran can Explode.

Breloom: Breloom is often difficult to deal with, since I will need to let one Pokemon take the sleep and possibly sacrafice another to break its Substitute. But Breloom often switch in after Tyranitar Pursuits something, and Flamethrower is an OHKO.

Bronzong: Heatran usually induces Bronzong to flee. Gyarados can Taunt it, and only fears Explosion.

Celebi: Heatran is the obvious switch-in here. The Shuca Berry often lets me survive Earth Power if they happen to have it. Latias can switch in on anything but Thunder Wave.

Dragonite: Gyarados can Intimidate it and take an Outrage before using Bounce. Latias can easily revenge-kill it, and Lucario can as well if necessary.

Dusknoir: Tyranitar can Crunch it, and if Tyranitar gets Burned and cannot OHKO, then any of my other Pokemon can finish the job.

Electivire: Latias can counter it as long as Electivire does not have a Motor Drive boost. There is only one Electric move on my team, so this situation is rare, especially compounded by the rarity of Electivire on all but the low sections of the OU ladder.

Empoleon: If Empoleon gets an Agility, I will have to sacrafice some Pokemon as it Subs down to Petaya activation. Then Lucario can easily revenge-kill it with Extremespeed. If I no longer have Lucario, Empoleon will likely sweep my whole team.

Flygon: Gyarados can take any of Flygon's attacks except for Stone (Miss) Edge, an easy setup opprotunity for Lucario.

Forretress: Heatran hard-counters Forretress. Also, Tyranitar can use the usually unexpected Flamethrower.

Gengar: If Gengar is Scarfed and is locked on anything other that Focus Blast, then Tyranitar can Pursuit it. But most likely I will have to sacrafice a Pokemon to revenge-kill it with Breloom or Latias. Gengar is also a Pokemon that can very easily keep Lucario from sweeping.

Gliscor: Latias can Surf it, and Gyarados can Waterfall it.

Gyarados: Latias can counter most Gyarados except the most offensive ones, which can OHKO with Stone Edge after getting a DD. Breloom can also counter some Gyarados with Stone Edge.

Heatran: Any Heatran that tries to attack my own Heatran will get Earth Powered as I survive with the Shuca Berry or absorb a mispredicted, useless attack. Gyarados and Latias are very good counters for it, and Lucario can predict its switching in and use Close Combat.

Infernape: Latias, and to a lesser extent Gyarados, are Infernape counters.

Jirachi: Jirachi can potentially stop both Gyarados and Lucario from sweeping. Heatran can come in on most of Jirachi's moves but dislikes being Paralyzed.

Jolteon: Tyranitar counters Jolteon. Latias can switch in on anything but Shadow Ball.

Kingdra: Especially in the Rain, Kingdra threatens to sweep my team. The best I can do usually is to switch in Gyarados to Intimidate and possibly take a Draco Meteor, then use Bounce as Kingdra KOes it. Then I can revenge-kill Kingdra with Lucario's Extremespeed. Kingdra is the single most threatening Pokemon to my team.

Latias: My Latias will, at worst, speed tie. Tyranitar can kill Latias with Crunch or Pursuit, but fears Specs Surf and Draco Meteor.

Lucario: Gyarados counters Lucario, although less effectively than a Gyarados with Earthquake. My Lucario will speed tie with Adamant Lucario. Heatran often forces SD Lucario to switch by bluffing Scarf.

Machamp: I will almost always have to sacrafice one Pokemon to take a Dynamicpunch and possibly break a Substitute. Then I can easily reveng-kill it.

Magnezone: Scarf variants will keep Lucario from sweeping if they are not switched in on Close Combat. Most Magnezone are countered by Latias.

Mamoswine: I switch in Gyarados. To win, Mamoswine will have to use Stone Edge on the switch, use Stone Edge again, and hit both times.

Metagross: If a lead Metagross is holding a Lum Berry, it can use Meteor Mash the first turn, take the Spore, and KO with Bullet Punch. Agility Metagross can potentially sweep my team if it has Life Orb. If it has Leftovers, Heatran will usually be able to survive and Earthquake and use Flamethrower in return.

Ninjask: I switch to Gyarados and use Taunt. At most, Ninjask can pass one Speed Boost.

Roserade: Breloom Spores it the first turn, and then it is a prediction war as to whether I will use Spore again, or switch. I usually have to let something take the sleep, but only one Pokemon on my team is affected by Toxic Spikes.

Rotom-A: Tyranitar can switch in and use Pursuit. This will always KO Scarf variants, but other variants might Burn Tyranitar first.

Salamence: Salamence is quickly worn down by Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, and Life Orb, letting it easily be revenge-killed. Latias can revenge-kill mixed variants, but I will have to use Lucario to revenge-kill DD variants. Gyarados is usually my first switch-in, since Earthquake and Fire Blast are two popular choices for the first turn Salamence is in. I might end up having to meatshield a Draco Meteor, however.

Scizor: Heatran can take anything Scizor throws at it, except the rarely-used Superpower. Tyranitar can lure out Scizor and OHKO with Fire Blast. Lucario can set up on Bullet Punch, as well.

Skarmory: Heatran can Flamethrower it, and Gyarados can Taunt it. Tyranitar often lures it out, and Flamethrower is an easy 2HKO.

Smeargle: I will have to let something take the Sleep against Scarfed Smeargle leads. Against Sash ones, I can just have Breloom use Spore. Sporing a Smeargle lead is my first course of action.

Snorlax: Gyarados has a safe switch-in, as long as it does not get paralyzed. Latias can Trick it a useless Choice Specs, and Lucario can use Close Combat on it.

Starmie: Scarfed Starmie that try to counter Gyarados can be trapped by Tyranitar. Rapid Spinner or Life Orb Starmie are greater threats, and often require a sacrafice or at least fancy prediction. Breloom can Seed Bomb it for an OHKO, but cannot switch into Ice Beam. Starmie can usually Rapid Spin away my Stealth Rocks.

Suicune: Latias can switch in and Thunderbolt it for a 2HKO. Offensive Suicune that can OHKO Latias with a boosted Ice Beam can be revenge-killed by Breloom.

Swampert: Gyarados can Taunt it to prevent Roar, and can set up on it.

Tentacruel: I usually cannot prevent Rapid Spin, but I can set up on it with Gyarados or OHKO it with Latias. My team does not mind Toxic Spikes.

Togekiss: None of my team members like being Paralyzed. However, Latias can use Thunderbolt and Tyranitar can Crunch non-Aura Sphere versions. It usually takes out one Pokemon, though.

Tyranitar: Breloom outspeeds all +1 DDtar and Scarftar. Band Tyranitar's attacks are an important source of setup fodder for Lucario. My Tyranitar can also use Superpower to OHKO.

Vaporeon: Latias's Thunderbolt 2HKOs. Breloom can finish the job if Latias has insufficient HP to get two hits in.

Weavile: Gyarados can set up on it.

Zapdos: Tyranitar can usually force it out with the threat of Stone Edge. Latias does significant damage, but does not like to be Paralyzed.
I hope you liked my team. Please help me make it better!

I have a quick suggestion that could help with your team.

Looking at your threat list, you have a problem with Gengar so I would reccomend using Bullet Punch over Crunch on Lucario as it can help with checking Gengar. Also, you don't have to switch out and stop your sweep if Gengar switches in to try and counter you. Bullet Punch means that ScarfTar also can't revenge kill you so you don't have to switch out to Breloom to deal with it and lose your +2 Atk boost and lose your momentum. I don't think the lose of Crunch is great as most Rotom-a will outspeed you anyways and stop your sweep whether by using Will-o-wisp or outright killing you.

Also your team has trouble with Gyrados and Salamence DD varients so I would test out Will-o-wisp on Heatran over Explosion. Although Explosion is extremely useful for when something bad happens, WoW may help more with dealing with these two threatening sweepers so it definately an option to consider. Heatran tends to lure in both Gyrados and Salamence so crippling both of them with WoW will give you an easier time to play around with these threats at the expense of having Heatran severly crippled so that it will become death fodder. One downside of this would be that with Heatran crippled you would have a harder time setting up Stealth Rock, but regardless, WoW is still an option worth testing.

Good luck with your team, it seems solid.

I run a very similar team to this one, and yes Agiligross is also a bastard to my team. You could try and make heatran the lead and add a stall breaker Gliscor:
252 Hp/24 atk/232 spe EQ/roost/taunt/u-turn or toxic. Since these Agiligross don't run both, t-punch and ice-punch, if it has t-punch, Gliscor can beat it and it if it has the latter, Gyarados can beat it.

Hi.

Looking at your team, it is noticable that your team has weaknesses to several offensive threats mainly, Gengar, Salamence, Gyarados and Metagross. Salamence can switch-in on Breloom locked onto Seed Bomb, Superpower, or Spore if sleep clause is activated as well as Latias onto Surf; from there it can either set-up a few DDs or directly attack if it's a MixMence version. Either way, your team cannot handle Salamence's attacks since with the appropriate move every single one of your Pokemons are OHKOed. Gengar, as you mentioned in your threat list is a huge threat to this team as well since it can sweep without any problems outspeeding every member of the team -- barring Breloom who cannot do anything if sleep clause is activated -- while OHKOing / 2HKOing everything in sight. Metagross is especially dangerous to this team because it beat both of your two leads and destroys your team with the appropriate move if it's an AgilGross version. DD Gyarados sets up in a similar manned to Salamence and can also sweep your team without any issues except Breloom's Stone Edge, but that is a rather risky move because of the accuracy and I feel that a better check would be more appropriate.

Now, I've noticed that Heatran isn't particularly useful for anything except setting up SR after Breloom has done it's job. The only downside of removing it would be Rotom-A becoming a bit more dangerous but with Tyranitar and Specs Latias on the team this should not be an issue. I've got the perfect solution for this team, and that's Shuca Berry Metagross as it beats all of those threats already mentioned. Here's the set:

Metagross @ Shuca Berry | Clear Body
Adamant | 240 HP / 88 Atk / 188 SpD
Meteor Mash | Earthquake | Thunder Punch | Stealth Rock

Metagross functions just like your Heatran used to, coming in after Breloom has Spored the foe's lead, it can then set-up SR and check all of those threats already mentioned.

With its very impressive defensive capabilities, this Metagross provides a decent check to Gengar and other specially oriented sweepers. Let me explain how this works. Basically, the EV Spread allow Metagross to take Gengar's Focus Blast without ever getting a 2HKOed. Meteor Mash easily KOes Gengar as well as Salamence as it usually uses Earthquake against Metagross, especially DD versions that believe the boost will do a lot more damage than Flamethrower / Fire Blast. With Shuca Berry, it can take an Earthquake from Gyarados and Salamence and won't be affected by Intimidate thanks to Clear Body. Metagross is also checked thanks to Shuca Berry. DD Kingdra and Starmie are also covered to an extent.

Just some food for thought. Good team.

Edit: Since you know have a very reliable Gyarados check in the form of Shuca Metagross, you might as well try Mach Punch over Stone Edge on Breloom. The main reason is that extra insurance against SD Lucario that can wreck your team if Gyarados goes down. Gyara is SR weak which means that there's a possibility that it won't last. Stone Edge is only really needed for opposing DD Gyarados, and with Breloom's mediocre speed, it won't be utilising it a lot.

while I agree with nosferalto that your team is incredibly weak to stuff, I disagree with the changes he has suggested. metagross does not do nearly as well against lum leads as heatran, meaning you're going to have an extra hard time against them. additionally, since metagross is coming in early, he won't really be having the health to check stuff later in the game, so it doesn't really help in any way. gyarados takes lucario on just fine I think, as sr is usually not on the field due to breloom sporing, and many lucarios probably try to set up on tyranitar and die anyways (and in general, everyone on this team can kill lucario anyways pretty much, so he doesn't really get setup time). this means that scarf mach punch is unnecessary and only contributes to the problems he already pointed out (i.e. being able to be set up on).

all that said, I can't really come up with any better way to deal with the threats at hand. I suppose if you don't get mileage out of crunch, you could add bullet punch on lucario to help kinda sorta check gengar (and also keep him from stopping your sweeps). I don't really want to change anything because everything seems to work so well together as is that changing something would ruin the flow of the team, which is without doubt much more important than checking stuff. the only suggestion I have for you is to switch scarfbreloom to scarfroserade, who is much better at revenge killing stuff (faster, has access to leaf storm which is much more powerful and arguably not easier to set up on, has access to sludge bomb which hits salamence and gyarados for neutral rather than nve, etc). 75% accuracy sucks, but eh. it's just something to try out. i think that if you play this team with its purpose in mind, the opponent will be trying to check you, not the other way around. try roserade, its extra speed and stronger stab merit testing at the very least.

thanks for your time, and sorry I couldn't really help too much =(

since metagross is coming in early, he won't really be having the health to check stuff later in the game, so it doesn't really help in any way.
If you think like this, than every single one of these teams that utilize Swampert as a lead are Tyranitar weak. Metagross is incredibly bulky and I'm sure that if played correctly it can check all these threats without any problems. It's not a suicide lead, it should switch-out if it's a Pokemon it looses against; Breloom would have Spored the foe's lead trying to set-up entry hazards so switching out won't be a problem.

all that said, I can't really come up with any better way to deal with the threats at hand. I suppose if you don't get mileage out of crunch, you could add bullet punch on lucario to help kinda sorta check gengar (and also keep him from stopping your sweeps).
Bullet Punch on Lucario is very unreliable because you must have a SD to actually beat it -- otherwise, Gengar just 6-0es this team without any problem. Metagross on the other hand, with it's EV Spread, is never 2HKOed by a Gengar Focus Blast or Shadow Ball.

the only suggestion I have for you is to switch scarfbreloom to scarfroserade, who is much better at revenge killing stuff (faster, has access to leaf storm which is much more powerful and arguably not easier to set up on, has access to sludge bomb which hits salamence and gyarados for neutral rather than nve, etc). 75% accuracy sucks, but eh. it's just something to try out. i think that if you play this team with its purpose in mind, the opponent will be trying to check you, not the other way around. try roserade, its extra speed and stronger stab merit testing at the very least.
First of all, Roserade can't check DD Salamence at all, even if it has HP Ice, because at +1 Mence outspeeds and OHKOes Roserade with Fire Blast with ease. Also, replacing Breloom opens up other holes, such as making the team quite Tyranitar weak since Lucario is meant to be a late game sweeper, he will be obliged to reveal Lucario early on in the match, and either SD revealing your set, or attack, which will wear it down because of LO.

this means that scarf mach punch is unnecessary and only contributes to the problems he already pointed out (i.e. being able to be set up on)
I really thing there is a contradiction here with your Roserade suggestion. If Mach Punch contributes to the team's problems, than the special attack drop from Leaf Strom and the chosen Hidden Power / Shadow Ball will surely give the team's weaknesses opportunities to set-up and sweep. Roserade will do noting but contribut to the team's weaknesses. Another thing worth noting is the 75% accuracy which will surely cost him a mtach on the long run. I'd prefer having Breloom as the 100% accuracy and the ability to deal with Tyranitar is much more attractive.

I definitely disagree with the Roserade suggestions. Imo, Metagross will be much more beneficial. It does have it's cons, like not beating Lum leads, but DD Salamence, DD Gyarados, Gengar and Metagross are much more common threats than those.

Also, I'm sorry but on the EV Spread I suggested on Metagross, it's 80 Atk EVs not 88, just a typo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)