The Tier of the Forgotten - A Warstory (NU)

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello and welcome to you, who decides to read my first ever warstory! This (as you can see by the title) is a warstory of the NU tier - The NU Tier, although not yet an established metagame, promises to be a tier of the most diverse and interesting pokemon; not just the jokes of Farfetch'd and Delibird. This warstory is not so much one of fantastic play and of a fantastic battle, but one to interest you in the intricacies of the NU tier (however well I express them) and hopefully to build a popular tier with a ladder on the Smogon Server! (I wish). This battle was against Riverside, He/She had previously seen my team in another battle but not to very much detail. I had never battled Riverside before. First, my team (Riverside's team will be posted at the end):

NU Warrior's (Alchemator's) Team

My team is designed to be very offensive, with most of the pokemon running unusual sets (however, not necessarily effective). Having had only a few battles to test this team, I am still highly inexperienced as can be seen throughout the battle. Team help would be greatly appreciated, however a warstory is clearly no place for an RMT. Now, onto the most important part of the warstory - the battle.

NU Warrior's moves will look like this.
Riverside's moves will look like this.
other text will look like this.
Leftovers will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO.
Rules: Evasion Clause, Extended Game, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause, Timed Battle

NU Warrior sent out Cacturne (lvl 100 Cacturne ?).
Riverside sent out Raticate (lvl 1 Raticate ?).

What I love about NU is the diversity in leads that you get, really most things are viable in some way. I start out with my trusty Cacturne that can really rip holes in things - it's quite obvious what my opponent is using, a FEAR Raticate. My Cacturne's moveset is Swords Dance/Counter/Sucker Punch/Seed Bomb so I can't really do anything against the annoying rat. I decide to seed bomb to at least break the sash.

Cacturne used Seed Bomb.
Raticate lost 42975% of its health.
Raticate hung on using its Focus Sash!
Raticate used Endeavor.
Cacturne lost 100% of its health.
---
1%
1%

Well that went as I had predicted. Now to sucker punch to kill Raticate before it Quick Attacks me.

Riverside switched in Gold (lvl 100 Flareon ?).
Cacturne used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!
---
1%
100%
1%

So Riverside decides to save it for death fodder, predicting my attack and obtaining a free switch to Flareon. Flareon has become very popular in the NU metagame due to it's mixed attacking potential and Flash Fire trait. Nothing I have on my team can switch into a Life Orb flamethrower so it's time to say goodbye to Cacturne, sadly without it causing the carnage it usually wreaks.

Cacturne used Sucker Punch.
Gold lost 68% of its health.
Gold used Quick Attack.
Cacturne lost 27% of its health.
NU Warrior's Cacturne fainted.
(5-6)
---
0%
32%

With his dying wish, the evil Cactus takes a hefty chunk from Flareon's HP - the lack of life orb recoil on Flareon brings a mixed bag of thoughts to my mind. It probably isn't a mixed sweeper, but could still be a powerful choice bander (or it might even carry an expert belt to confuse me XD) I decide to bring in my Scarfed Hitmonchan to revenge with Close Combat, hopefully getting rid of this annoying Cat/Dog (Whatever it is) or hitting something pretty hard.

NU Warrior switched in Hitmonchan (lvl 100 Hitmonchan ?).
Riverside switched in Raticate (lvl 1 Raticate ?).
Hitmonchan used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Raticate lost 122117% of its health.
Riverside's Raticate fainted.
(5-5)
Hitmonchan's defence was lowered.
Hitmonchan's special defence was lowered.
---
100% (-1Def -1Sp.Def)
0%
32%

Riverside wisely uses Raticate to scout for my item/move, losing something that had already accomplished its purpose in the battle. Unfortunately for me however, the stat drops aren't going to help against the next foe.

Riverside switched in Venomoth (lvl 100 Venomoth ?).
NU Warrior switched in Bastiodon (lvl 100 Bastiodon ?).
Venomoth used Sludge Bomb.
It doesn't affect Bastiodon...
---
100%
100%
100%

With Venomoth 4x resisting Close Combat, and defensive drops to take into account, it was natural for me to switch out to something that could take both of its STABs. I actually thought that he would be scarfed and would use sleep power - coming in completely unharmed was a bonus. Venomoth can't touch Bastiodon (or so I believe) so getting a free turn whether he switches or not for Stealth Rock can never be a bad thing...

Riverside switched in Spikes (lvl 100 Sandslash ?).
Bastiodon used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
---
100%
100%
100%

...Or maybe I just wasted a turn. As soon as I see a pokemon that can carry Rapid Spin, I assume it has Rapid Spin as they quite often do. Having hardly any experience with Bastiodon at all, I decide to haphazardly use Metal Burst - hopefully rebounding an Earthquake to KO.

Spikes used Stealth Rock.
Bastiodon used Metal Burst.
But it failed!
---
100%
100%

This was another failure for me (trust me, I fail quite often) as Riverside manages to obtain his layer of Stealth Rock for free. Sensing an incoming Earthquake, I switch to the pokemon on my team best equipped to take the attack and best deal with Sandslash - Exeggutor.

NU Warrior switched in Exeggutor (lvl 100 Exeggutor ?).
Pointed stones dug into Exeggutor.
Exeggutor lost 12% of its health.
Spikes used Rapid Spin.
Spikes blew away the pointed stones!
Exeggutor lost 6% of its health.
---
82%
100%
100%

You don't need to tell me I'm rubbish at this, it has been proved many times over. With hindsight, Bastiodon could do absolutely nothing to Sandslash so Spinning away my rocks was a virtually risk free move. However, nothing that a standard Spinslash carries can hurt Exeggutor so I decide to begin my early/mid-game sweep with my favourite Chlorophyll pokemon.

Exeggutor used Sunny Day.
The sun began to shine!
Spikes used Toxic.
Exeggutor was badly poisoned!
Exeggutor's Lum Berry cured its Poison!
The sun continues to shine.
---
82%
100%

Yes Lum Berry does save me sometimes.

Spikes used Protect.
Spikes protected itself!
Exeggutor used Solarbeam.
Spikes protected itself!
---
82%
100%

Exeggutor used Solarbeam.
It's not very effective...
Venomoth lost 23% of its health.
---
82%
77%
100%

Hopefully my mispredictions aren't decreasing your interest in this already slightly lackluster warstory. I do, however, slightly upkeep what is left of my prediction reputation with the next move.

Riverside switched in Gold (lvl 100 Flareon ?).
Exeggutor used Explosion.
Gold lost 139% of its health.
Riverside's Gold fainted.
(5-4)
NU Warrior's Exeggutor fainted.
(4-4)
---
0%
0%
77%

Sadly only explosion could finish Flareon (Sunny Day/Solarbeam/HP Fire/Explosion) and I regrettably lose my "Walking Jungle" without it causing much devastation at all. I decide to bring in my Scarfchan again to spin away the opponent's rocks (yes the moveset really IS that weird).

Pointed stones dug into Hitmonchan.
Hitmonchan lost 6% of its health.
Hitmonchan used Rapid Spin.
Hitmonchan blew away the pointed stones!
Venomoth lost 11% of its health.
Venomoth used Psychic.
It's super effective!
Hitmonchan lost 78% of its health.
Venomoth lost 10% of its health.
The sun faded.
---
16%
67%

The sunshine leaves the field and it also does so in my mind. I have no experience of any Venomoth sets, so I didn't expect a Psychic. I don't want to lose my only revenge killer of the team, so I switch out to Bastiodon once more to attempt to wall again.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Bastiodon lost 35% of its health.
---
65%
57%
16%

Bug is still resisted, however I would have prefered to come in on an unSTABed attack. I decide to reveal another of my (underrated) sweepers, with his convenient 4x resist to Bug.
NU Warrior switched in Drifblim (lvl 100 Drifblim ?).
Venomoth used Roost.
Venomoth restored 50% of its health.
---
100%
100%
65%

Riverside: :o
I don't know what Riverside ment with his "Shocked" smiley face, but Drifblim is about to Stat-up and sweep (hopefully)! I run the Calm Mind/Rest set (No you didn't look at that one on the analysis did you) which relies on ChestoRest to double Drifblim's speed. Confident that I will survive at least two of Venomoth's attacks, I use Calm Mind.

Drifblim lost 54% of its health.
Drifblim was poisoned!
Drifblim used Calm Mind.
Drifblim's special attack was raised.
Drifblim's special defence was raised.
Drifblim is hurt by poison!
Drifblim lost 12% of its health.
---
44% (+1Sp.Atk +1Sp.Def)
90%

OUCH! Maybe I'm overstimating the Ghostly Balloon's defences, but it's down already without even one KO to it's name. My momentum (if I ever had any) is falling rapidly and the hopes of a comeback are slim. Yeah I don't think one of those hundred-line endings is going to happen in this Warstory.
Drifblim lost 37% of its health.
NU Warrior's Drifblim fainted.
(3-4)
---
0%
80%

And it goes down, let's try the revenge once more. My Hitmonchan's moveset leaves much to be desired, however (Close Combat/Rapid Spin/Mach Punch/Thunderpunch). My best chance to take down Venomoth is ThunderPunch and I'm not even sure that that will KO.

Hitmonchan used Thunderpunch.
Venomoth lost 49% of its health.
Venomoth used Bug Buzz.
Hitmonchan lost 63% of its health.
NU Warrior's Hitmonchan fainted.
(2-4)
---
0%
7%

Nope, Venomoth survives by the skin of it's teeth (or fangs or whatever they are) and defeats the punching hitmon. Now I'll leave off the comments for a while as my terrible play says it all.

Venomoth used Roost.
Venomoth restored 50% of its health.
Bastiodon used Iron Head.
Venomoth lost 28% of its health.
---
65%
29%

Bastiodon used Taunt.
Spikes fell for the taunt!
---
65%
100%
29%

Spikes used Rapid Spin.
Bastiodon lost 1% of its health.
Bastiodon used Metal Burst.
Spikes lost 1% of its health.
---
70%
100%

Riverside switched in Slaking (lvl 100 Slaking ?).
Bastiodon used Stealth Rock.
---
70%
100%
100%

Slaking used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Bastiodon lost 150% of its health.
NU Warrior's Bastiodon fainted.
(1-4)
---
0%
100%

NU Warrior switched in Rampardos (lvl 100 Rampardos ?).
Slaking is loafing around!
Rampardos used Rock Polish.
Rampardos's speed was sharply raised.
---
100%
100%

Rampardos is my last pokemon, my late game sweeper and my last hope. I use the turn of loafing around to secure my speed boost and attempt to bring down Slaking with my strongest STAB attack - Stone Edge.

Rampardos used Stone Edge.
Slaking lost 50% of its health.
Slaking used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Rampardos lost 206% of its health.
Rampardos hung on using its Focus Sash!
---
1%
50%

Rampardos used Stone Edge.
Slaking lost 43% of its health.
Slaking is loafing around!
---
1%
7%

Rampardos used Earthquake.
Slaking lost 34% of its health.
Riverside's Slaking fainted.
(1-3)
---
1%
0%

A comeback fit for the warstory archive? A warstory that will bring Rampardos up to the Uber tier with the likes of Groudon? (Who can't top its attack stat by the way). No. I'm doomed as he brings in Sandslash.

Pointed stones dug into Spikes.
Spikes lost 6% of its health.
Riverside: gg
NU Warrior: gg
Rampardos used Earthquake.
Spikes lost 29% of its health.
Spikes used Rapid Spin.
Spikes blew away the pointed stones!
Rampardos lost 3% of its health.
NU Warrior's Rampardos fainted.
(0-3)
1%
100%

Riverside wins!

(This log was formatted using Warmachine Version 1.0)

A deserved victory for Riverside! Now for the Props and Slops!

Props
  • Riverside, for outwitting me at almost every opportunity
  • Hitmonchan, for struggling a bit (lol)
  • Sandslash, for being a great asset to Riverside's team in rapid spinning, defence and offense
Slops
  • My team in general
  • My prediction
So that's it for my first warstory! Yes, a mediocre battle. Yes, comments probably lacking in places. But please don't lock this, I'm only trying to promote the NU metagame! And finally...

Riverside's Team

It didn't seem like you knew about Venomoth's ability Tinted Lens. Any resisted attack has its power doubled, so x0.5 resists become x1 and x0.25 resists become x0.5.

As nice as it was to see a NU story, perhap you should wait until you're more experience before posting in the future. Some big mistakes ruined it a bit for me. For example, you say in your first paragraph you figured the Raticate was FEAR. Why didn't you switch in Drifblim to at least scout it out instead of throwing away your Cacturne for nothing? Forgeting about Tinted Lens was a big mistake as well. Try and gain more experience so you can bring a better game and more insight to the table.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Good point o.O actually I'd never thought of that until you just mentioned it. I don't think it's as much lacking experience in the tier as me just being a rubbish battler. I would also like some comments on the formatting of the warstory so I can actually learn from this

EDIT: @ Basically everyone (XD)

I admit I'm pretty rubbish and the battle was bland but a main problem is that you don't get many NU battles. Obviously this doesn't explain my inability to actually win a battle it seriously narrows down the potential warstory candidates. Really I just wanted to write this to see what it would be like to write a warstory and as most of you seem to have enjoyed the comments I might do another one if I find an exceptional battle (rather than this slightly mediocre one). Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate it and thanks for taking the time to read it - and read this!

i didnt like the prediction at all, However the comments i did like. Easy to read and comprehend, just pick a better battle next time.
Nu should be very diverse, although i know almost nothing of it. This was interesting.

The battle itself was mediocre, but it was easy to read, and I like how you promoted the NU tier. I've never read an NU warstory, but reading this has made me think more about making an NU team. It was good for a first warstory, though.

it seems like your biggest problem was underestimating your opponent's Pokemon. not knowing about Venomoth's Tinted Lens, mispredicting Raticate kinda lost it for you.

bigups to Riverside for using Slaking. you don't fuck with that thing.

I liked the effort you put into this, and an NU battle is always cool. I do feel that you made a bit too many mistakes, especially with FEAR and not going to Drifblim. That was literally a free set-up for you, and it could've changed the outcome of the battle. Just my two cents, nice job on the warstory, and hopefully your next one will be better =)

Also...Holy shit Slaking is bulky as hell.

It was actually a pretty decent warstory, considering it was your first. A couple of misplays here and there, but hey, happens to everyone, right?

The only real wtf moment to me was that you didn't bring Drifblim on the Sandslash when you knew he was gonna spin. Even if he did EQ, he flies so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Other than that, nice job for your first.

This was decently done and you get tons of points for promoting NU, the use of such a little-known metagame made it much more interesting. Good job.

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Hmm, not bad at all. Good comments and an interesting battle. You don't see many NU warstories around here.

EDIT: I read your signature. Only badged members can use images in their signature.

The comments were very enjoyable. I have to say, when I think of Pokemon nowadays, I never think of NU. Thanks for pointing out the specifics of NU for me!

I liked the effort you put into this, and an NU battle is always cool. I do feel that you made a bit too many mistakes, especially with FEAR and not going to Drifblim. That was literally a free set-up for you, and it could've changed the outcome of the battle. Just my two cents, nice job on the warstory, and hopefully your next one will be better =)

Also...Holy shit Slaking is bulky as hell.
Agrreing with him. And for slaking being bulky, he has the same bst as groudon and kyogre,so, yeah

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The thing that saved this warstory was the novelty of NU. Otherwise it wasn't bad, it was just kind of average. If you get a better battle I bet you could work it out though.

I can't be the only one who really doesn't like seeing level 1 Raticate instead of the possible Rattata.

Mostly jsut echoing other comments. I've read better matches to be sure, but none have been NU. That said, as the way you presented the match and all, you did a fine job. The match itself probably isn't too great for a war story, but you did do what you wanted to do with this post, promote the NU tier. I gave it an honest go, playing mostly only NU matches for days a while ago. Its an okay tier, but its also very unpredictable.

as almost everyone ahs said so far, the comments are good but the warstory in itself is fairly bland...however the layout is easy to read and learning from your mistakes is the best way to get better at things ;)

your biggest problem was underestimating your opponent's Pokemon. forgetting about Venomoth's Tinted Lens. thats the whole reason u lost. But it happens sometimes =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)