The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Guys chill rofl, i actually agree with gary running the #3 vote for one more day, since actually gene and ferro were pretty damn close.

Ok onto the vote, and im gonna say this right now: fuck it, genesect isnt taking a #4, he's too cool for that, and im not going to get into the bandwagon again.

Nominating, or may i say, double nominating: Deoxys Defense and Speed

Weird thing, huh? Well i thought about it, and this two pretty much were the same, whether or not one was more effective than the other is out of the point, plus they both faced the same fate.

Both of the deoxys formes took Hyper Offense and threw it to an age of glory and propserity, while i may say the Speed forme was better at it, Defense had the ability of run an item that didnt have to be named Focus Sash. You needed a game plan for both of them as leads since they were staples at it at HO, and if you didnt, then you had to be prepared to be spike-stacked and your defensive backbone to be shattered at the might of the Hyper Offensive sweepers. Deoxys S is probably one of the most broken pokemon to ever lay a foot on the Overused metagame, and im surprised it took 5 suspects to be banned, since it automatically gained momentum on favor of the offensive team, and Deoxys D did this to an extent as well.

EDIT: just realized how badly i argumented this thing, lgaf im not gonna change it :]

I'm not even completely convinced that Deoxys-D is worse than Deoxys-S. I think the fact that people paid a lot more attention to S than to D was just a matter of community's bias (based on history and popular opinion, not based on objective usefulness).

Giving some history-- Deoxys-S was originally considered the WEAKEST deoxys form. Coming out of ADV, no one was impressed with it in ADV Ubers when they gaped in awe at Deo-D's massive defenses or Deo-A's ridiculous fire power. In fact, in the beginning of DPP (early meta), Deo-S was nowhere to be seen in competitive Uber games-- also it was this perception of Deo-S as weak that lead it to being tested at all.

Only after it was tested in OU, and people discovered the usefulness of its Spikes setting and double screen lead sets that Deo-S's competitive potential was it given any serious consideration. Once it was tested in OU (and DOMINATED in OU), people realized that its usefulness in OU wasn't really dependent on its bulk, and that it could likely do the same jobs in Ubers. Only THEN did Deo-S begin to pick up use as a lead in that metagame-- but this lead to a Deo-S boom so to speak that carried over to BW.

So when the BW metagame started, it was Deo-D that was the forme with the least clout coming out of ubers. When BW started, Deo-A and Deo-S were abused heavily (alongside Darkrai, Shaymin-S, Kingdra and all the other broken shit); and many GOOD Pokemon were completely ignored or overlooked in this period, simply because there were too many other shiny toys. Reniunclus was the popular bulky psychic type, and former Ubers Deo-D and Mew fell to UU like rocks in a pool.

What I'm getting at is that we really don't have evidence that Deo-D is worse than Deo-S. During the period Deo-S was around, people didn't take Deo-D seriously or test it seriously. During the period Deo-D was on top, Deo-S was long gone. We never had a chance to objectively compare them to each other simulatneously in OU. Deo-D's bulk might not be up to snuff in Ubers, making it a sub-par Deo forme there-- but this is OU we're talking about, where it's bulk is more than sufficient to do-- well, pretty much whatever.

We don't really have a measure on whether S or D is more effective in OU.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Eh, voting Ninetales. Spinda made most of the points I wanted to make, but just in case I'll state them again. Ninetales creates play styles all by itself, and allows lower tier Pokemon like Cresselia, Sawsbuck, and other Pokemon that thrive in the Sun to be viable in OU. Ninetales is the main reason behind Venusaur and Volcarona being so dangerous, and it makes Tyranitar and Politoed needed even more in the metagame to check Ninetales, because it's so influential.

Ninetales for #4

I vote Dragonite because of multiscale which made it a lot harder to take out and allowed it to set up dragon dance very easily, abuse stab hurricane in the rain, or become an extremely annoying parashuffler.
This is about the most influential Pokemon, not the ones that were the best / annoying / powerful.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think most of the confusion comes from the fact that "Titan" gives a really different image from what's described in the OP-- "most influential." This seems to be the cause of a lot of confusion (since people don't read OPs...)

In any case, because it is about most influential, I think the list so far is good... and as for influence, #4 has to go to Ninetales. None of the others, not even Genosect (or my personal favorite here, Garchomp) can brag the same influence as Sun on the metagame.

I just want to say, that I find it kind of funny how there was a lot more support for Genesect for the #3 spot, but after Ferrothorn took that spot, there is very little support for Genesect to be in the #4 spot, even though so many people were voting for him previously.

I think it's that most of the people who were supporting Genesect have finally realized that he's just not pulling votes and so they'd rather have some actual sway over the results. I still think he's number 2, but I'm not gonna vote for him anymore.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Voting for Ninetales for #4, ninetales literally created an entire play-style just like the top 2 pokes (imo ttar was only influential during the exca era, which then, shouldn't exca be the one up there? srsly guys, sand has like 0 abusers nowadays, so I'd rather like something that was CONSISTENT during it's time in BW to be high up) and, I swear if we got lava plume ninetales with politoeds stats, sun would be seen as the best OU weather by far, imo tales is a crappy OU mon, but then again so is politoed, but politoed has decent special stats and scald, rofl.

Regardless of any of that crap, Tales is probably would be #1 if this was my list, but then again, this is a community listing, so I think even #4 or 5 is very amazing considering the huge amount of conflicting opinions that are discussed

Voting for Ninetales for #4, ninetales literally created an entire play-style just like the top 2 pokes (imo ttar was only influential during the exca era, which then, shouldn't exca be the one up there? srsly guys, sand has like 0 abusers nowadays, so I'd rather like something that was CONSISTENT during it's time in BW to be high up) and, I swear if we got lava plume ninetales with politoeds stats, sun would be seen as the best OU weather by far, imo tales is a crappy OU mon, but then again so is politoed, but politoed has decent special stats and scald, rofl.

Regardless of any of that crap, Tales is probably would be #1 if this was my list, but then again, this is a community listing, so I think even #4 or 5 is very amazing considering the huge amount of conflicting opinions that are discussed
Ninetales is fast and has Will-O-Wisp to cripple many things, wouldn't call that crappy. And Tyranitar is THE BEST Pursuit trapper in OU, he's not up there for Exca, there's a reason why he's S Rank right now.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Ninetales is fast and has Will-O-Wisp to cripple many things, wouldn't call that crappy. And Tyranitar is THE BEST Pursuit trapper in OU, he's not up there for Exca, there's a reason why he's S Rank right now.
I know why ttar should be on this list, I just don't think it should be so high, fyi, I would actually consider weavile the best trapper in this meta, it's so fast and can actually threaten to outspeed and KILL stuff that it plans to trap without trapping them (the speed makes a huge ass difference imo), does this mean weavile is a better poke? hell no, we all use ttar because it's a mon with damn solid stats that gets an simply amazing ability, we don't use him for purely trapping, also ttar is S because like I said before, it has a fantastic ability with amazing stats to complement them. I just don't think ttar is deserving of #2, but whatever, that wasn't at all the point of my post, please try not to nitpick that pointlessly :/

Nominating: Excadrill

What Effect Did It Have On The OU Metagame?
Because of Sand Rush, it can successfully sweep teams with sand up, due to it having decent speed to begin with and great attack. It can outspeed and OHKO Gengar and Alakazam. Also, it can smash Latios with an Iron Head or a Shadow Claw. Dragonite can get 2 Hit KOd with Rock Slide Or Iron Head. Earthquake wrecks Heatran, and a Brick Break can really damage a Blissey.

In What Main Role(s) is Excadrill Used for?
Excadrill is used as a Sandstorm sweeper. It can wreck many defensive tanks in OU, like Tyranitar, Forretress, Magnezone, Skarmory, etc. Even without Swords Dance it destroys. If you Choice Band it, it can destroy the whole team in a few turns. Also, it has many resistances and immunities to help with it's horrible defenses.

What Caused It To Have Such an Impact On OU?
Excadrill was given a gift from Arceus, Sand Rush. It's great Attack stat make it the best sweeper in OU. Is there really more to say about Excadrill?

How Do You Deal With This Pokemon In OU?
Due to horrible defenses, Pokemon like Cloyster can easily wall it. One Razor Shell from a Cloyster and it's gone.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
I know why ttar should be on this list, I just don't think it should be so high, fyi, I would actually consider weavile the best trapper in this meta, it's so fast and can actually threaten to outspeed and KILL stuff that it plans to trap without trapping them (the speed makes a huge ass difference imo), does this mean weavile is a better poke? hell no, we all use ttar because it's a mon with damn solid stats that gets an simply amazing ability, we don't use him for purely trapping, also ttar is S because like I said before, it has a fantastic ability with amazing stats to complement them. I just don't think ttar is deserving of #2, but whatever, that wasn't at all the point of my post, please try not to nitpick that pointlessly :/
No, you're wrong. Tyranitar is the best Pursuit trapper because it can actually SWITCH INTO its targets with little to no trouble. If I want, I can design a Tyranitar that switches into, and kills EVERY Latios (except physical EQ)/Latias and almost every Starmie without fail, without prediction-- JUST by fiddling with its EVs. That's something Weavile can never hope to do.

Massive Special defense that allows SWITCHING INTO Pursuit targets (and killing them even as they resist) is the mark of a top class Pursuit user. Speed matched with a frail body that only lets you switch in after already losing a poke, to give you a chance at revenge killing (only if you predict right-- because you get one shot if you predict wrong), is definitely the mark of a second-class Pursuit user.

Honestly, Scizor is a superior Pursuit user to Weavile, if only because of its resistances and high enough Special bulk to switch into Latios/Latias and others with some consistency.

Tyranitar is the best Pursuit user.
Scizor is the second best.
Weavile makes for a much inferior third-- whose overall usefulness is bolstered by its ability to potentially go on a sweep with that massive Speed and those destructive STAB types (and check all those nasty Dragons); it's definitely third wheel purely as a Pursuit trapper though-- mostly because of its inability to switch into its targets.

Last edited:
...Said the guy who claimed Latias should be C- or D-ranked in the viability ranking thread.
I actually said C or even D if it is that extreme, never a -, plus I was new at the time, now I know latias is semi B or B+-ish, also, nice bringing in things that are not even relating to this forum, 10/10 opinion bashing

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is why we need paragraphs for voting people, to prevent people who seriously think weavile is the best pursuit trapper from ruining our perfectly good ranking lists
I think short descriptions are enough. Paragraphs are too lengthy, and get a bit redundant after others have already voted for the same Pokemon. Besides, it's easy to tell if the voter knows what they're talking about even if it's just a few sentences.

I think short descriptions are enough. Paragraphs are too lengthy, and get a bit redundant after others have already voted for the same Pokemon. Besides, it's easy to tell if the voter knows what they're talking about even if it's just a few sentences.
I meant short paragraphs lol, but ok

I actually said C or even D if it is that extreme, never a -, plus I was new at the time, now I know latias is semi B or B+-ish, also, nice bringing in things that are not even relating to this forum, 10/10 opinion bashing
IMO, Latias is a very good A+ Rank Pokemon but meh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)