The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen OU Metagame [VOTING OVER]

reserving dragonite. will edit this post with my submission when i am done.

ok fuck it ill just make a separate post because the edits dont save fucking drafts and i just lost my entire submission.

Last edited:
Nominating Latios.

What effect did Latios have on the metagame?

As soon as it was available in ou, latios had a huge impact on the metagame, and was suspect tested in the first 4 rounds (and got over 50% in round 3). Latios is probably the first thing that comes to mind when it comes to special attacking Dragon-types in OU. He had that extreme base 130 Special Attack, that could be further increased by a Choice Specs or a Life Orb, an immunity to ground-type moves, a very versatile offensive movepool which includes Psyshock, Surf, hidden power fire, Thunderbolt, Trick, Ice Beam, Roost, Dragon Pulse, Dragon Dance, and most of all, Draco Meteor. Latios's decent base 110 special defense also meant he could come in on attacks such as Scald or Thunder and start spamming draco meteor like you wouldn't believe it.
He can even go on the physical side with Dragon Dance and lure his counters, and surprise them with a +1 Earthquake that OHKOes them after a bit of prior damage, and even 4 SpA LO Draco Meteor hurts from that set.

In what main roles was Latios used?

Latios was used mainly as a specially offensive wallbreaker that could hit hard even specially defensive behemoths thanks to Psyshock. He could also use a Life Orb for the ability to switch moves and use roost, a choice scarf to become a good revenge killer and cripple walls, or Dual Screens to support a hyperoffensive team. He can also sweep with Calm Mind or even from the physical side with Dragon Dance.

What caused it to have a significant impact?

Its versatility and STAB Draco Meteor. The latter is a large reason why you should have an answer to latios. It is so powerful anything that doesn't resist it or is not named Blissey/Chansey (who aren't even that common anymore) will take an obscene amount of damage or will be swiftly ohkoed(for example, Sp.Def Jellicent is 2HKOed by specs draco meteor after just stealth rock damage!!!). Even then, Blissey can be taken care of with psyshock, which is a 2HKO when backed by choice specs, and Chansey is 2HKOed after a bit of prior damage. The fact that it could cripple many walls and support Pokemon with Trick was simply amazing, since it meant you could heavily weaken a defensive core, and allow your sweeper to switch in and set up for free.

How do/did you deal with this Pokemon in OU?

Once Latios KOed something with Draco Meteor, it becomes massive Pursuit bait. Weavile therefore is a good check to Latios, outspeeding it and OHKOing it with Night Slash or trapping it with Pursuit. The big issue is that Weavile is not that common, can't really switch in, and if Latios has a Choice Scarf, -2 Draco Meteor will still hurt. Specially defensive Tyranitar can also trap it with Pursuit and it takes a Choice Specs Draco Meteor fairly well. Jirachi can also paralyze it and spam Iron Head, but Hidden Power Fire can be a problem if it's not raining. If the sun is shining, heatran can wall any set not packing Earthquake, and can slowly kill him with Toxic. Ferrothorn can wall it provided latios does not have HP Fire. Lastly, although Latios has great Speed, it can still be revenge killed by the likes of Mamoswine, Starmie, Choice Scarf Dragon-types, Tornadus and Alakazam.

Nominating Dragonite

What effect did [Pokemon] have on the metagame?
Dragonite was one of, if not, the most difficult offensive pokemon to take down for the entire generation thanks to its DW ability, Multiscale. With Multiscale still intact, D-nite could live moves like Terrakion's Banded Stone Edge, Garchomp's LO Outrage, and Specs Politoed Ice Beam. Due to its ability to tank such powerful moves at full health, Stealth Rock became that much more important to have on your team. It was also able to come in on many offensive threats that cause teams a lot of trouble like Keldeo, Breloom, and Volcarona and force them out which allowed D-nite to set up.

In what main roles was [Pokemon] used?
The main role Dragonite filled was as a physical sweeper. It could force a lot of things out and either set up a Sub, DD, or attack straight off the bat with a CB equipped. However, it could also serve as a special rain attacker thanks to perfect accuracy moves like Thunder and STAB Hurricane. Its such a versatile pokemon that you can almost always be able to find a reason to throw Dragonite onto your team. It also performs very well as a Parashuffler by having subroost, twave, and dtail in its artillery of moves. It all comes back to Multiscale that makes Dragonite such a solid choice for any team.

Multiscale is honestly what really brought Dragonite from a mediocre to good dragon in DPP to the most used dragon in all of gen 5. That and the buff Espeed got by having +2 priority this generation. It has perfect coverage with 3 physical moves so it leaves a move slot open for stuff like DD, Extremespeed, Roost, or any support move. Having the ability to resist fighting and water moves in this metagame is a huge boon to Dragonite as well since they are probably the most popular physical and special attacking moves in the tier, respectively. Politoed also helped the special set to take off thanks to Drizzle since rain gives Hurricane and Thunder perfect accuracy and way to cause some parafusion hax unexpectedly.

The best way to counter Dragonite is to lay Stealth Rocks as soon as possible. Based on my experiences, that is the easiest way to adapt to the possible presence of D-nite. Due to its versatility, it has many different checks and no counters to speak of. To keep it in check, faster scarfed dragons like Lati@s, Hydreigon, Kyu-B, Salamence, and Garchomp, and Ice Shard users like Mamoswine, Cloyster, and Weavile, are the best ways to do it. As I illustrated earlier, even powerful SE moves will not take it down if Multiscale is still intact, butHaxorus and Kyurem-B bypass it thanks to its abilities though.

Nominating Tyranitar

What effect did Tyranitar have on the metagame?

At almost every point that I have been playing BW (ever since the Excadrill era) Tyrainitar has been a maystay in the tier. Tyranitar was never a Pokemon that was a top-tier sweeper of the tier or a top-tier wall, but what Tyranitar did do was spawn certain team styles that were at the center of a metagame at different points in BW. It was activating the abilities of certain top tier sweepers Sand Veil Garchomp and Sand Rush Excadrill in early BW1, it was adding extra chip damage for Volt-Turn teams through Sandstream so Volt-Turn teams could wear down their opponents faster (as well as set up SR/help Sand Force Scarf Lando), and in the more recent era of BW2 (post Deo-D) Tyranitar was Pursuit trapping Keldeo and Sheer Force Landorus-I. Tyranitar's ability to Pursuit trap Landorus-I's counters played a role in Lando-I's banishment and has had a role in our current suspect test of Keldeo (aka TTar / Keldeo / Lando-I teams). Basically, at any point in BW, you can find a team style that Tyranitar was central in creating and running.

In what main roles was Tyranitar used?

If you don't know, Tyranitar has the ability Sand Stream, which creates sand storms! Sand in the most neutral weather condition out of all the weathers that are in the game. Thus, Tyranitar can counteract opposing weather while not constraining yourself in your team building, unlike the other weathers, particularly rain and sun. In addition, Tyranitar statistically is the most powerful of all weather starters. Tyranitar has 600 BST and descent stats all around outside of its speed. Because of Tyranitar's great stats and large movepool, he isn't as much "dead weight" as opposing weather starters. I am looking at you NINETALES.

Tyranitar's great stats mean it can accomplish chose a variety of roles and execute them well. Tyranitar's best are its Choice Band, Specially Defensive wall, and Choice Scarf. Tyrainitar's Choice Band set takes great use of Tyranitar's massive attack stat (134), which is one of the highest in OU. The Choice Band set is a good holepuncher with its massive Stone Edge and a great trapper with a powerful STAB Pursuit. The CB set causes the most amount of damage for the short period of time a weather starter will stay in (it needs to conserve its health for weather wars). The tank set can put a stop to some of the more powerful special attackers in the tier such as Heatran and Latios. It is also a great setter of Stealth Rock because Magic Bouncers are afraid of its Dark STAB and spinners are afraid of the potential coverage moves it could run (Flamethrower and Ice Beam). Lastly, the Choice Scarf set has a unique niche in being able to trap faster Psychic/Ghost types while still being powerful / not weak to SR (looking at you Weavile). It also can revenge weather reliant sweepers such as Chlorophyll sweepers and Kingdra.

Tyranitar's Sandstream and powerful Pursuit are its most noticeable impacts on the metagame. Tyranitar's weather just throws a wrench in the plans of opposing weathers while at the same time not specializing your team. Meanwhile, Tyranitar's Pursuit can make for great support to open up the door for other sweepers. What Pokemon are made better by TTar? The ones I can think when split up by different timeframes in BW:

Early BW1
Sand Rush Excadrill / Sand Veil Garchomp: Tyranitar's Sandstream enabled both Excadrill and Garchomp to become the best sweepers in the tier. Both faced banishment with Tyranitar's Sand Stream support.
Mid / Late BW1
Scizor AND Rotom-W / Sand Force Landorus-I: Scizor in tandem with Rotom-W were running circles around the tier with Volt-turn. The extra chip damage given by Tyranitar's Sand Stream made that much more potent. Meanwhile, Sand Force Landorus-I was hands-down the best scarfer in the game at the time. Sand Force boosted Earthquake made it an excellent cleaner. At based 101 speed it was also one of the fastest Scarfers in the tier and it could confidently revenge kill both QD Volcarona and Salamence. Of course, it was also a great addition to Sand Volt-turn teams because it had U-turn.
Mid / Late BW2
Keldeo / Sheer Force Landorus-I: The Pursuit Support Tyranitar gave only exacerbated the difficulty of checking and countering the two most potent offensive threats in late BW2. Tyranitar's Pursuit support played a part in the Landorus-I's banishment.

FIGHTING-TYPES FIGHTING-TYPES FIGHTING-TYPES! Fighting-Types have great offensive capabilities outside of dealing with Tyranitar. Also, I would say that one of the big reasons why Fighting-types are so popular in OU is because they get so many set up oppurtunities in front of TTar. It is a prime set up opportunity: a 4x weakness to your stab against a Pokemon who needs to stay alive / conserve its health (health is needed for weather wars). Most physical threats in OU have one way or another to deal with Tyranitar, so just having a strong physical attacker in general is a good option. Defensively, most physically defensive steels and bulky ground-types do well, but they must watch for powerful coverage moves such as Ice Beam and Flamethrower.

Conclusion:

Tyranitar deserves to be high on the top ten list not because it is a super powerful sweeper or unbreakable wall, but because its status as the most powerful weather starter and one of the creators of the most neutral weather, sand, has made it spawn off various play-styles throughout the entire time period of BW. It has never really on the frontline, but almost everyone knows in the background Tyranitar is running things in the tier.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
calling dibs on scizor, which has been a force to be reckoned with this entire generation, except perhaps when genesect was still king

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Open to comments/pointing out I suck at writing because I'm not too used to doing stuff like this.

Nominating Reuniclus

What effect did Reuniclus have on the metagame?

Reuniclus hit the scene in early BW1, and started causing havoc with its Calm Mind set. It was claimed to be nigh unkillable, with the ability destroy entire stall teams single-handedly, and nearly impossible to stop once it got going. Select counters like Bug Bite Scizor and Spiritomb skyrocketed in usage in order to make sure it couldn't even get started for flattening a team. It was quickly suspected, but by a decisive margin wasn't banned. After it's first stint of fame as a near-Uber stall destroying monster, it was all downhill for Reuniclus. It still retains a strong offensive Trick Room set, but its impact is small compared to the once considered unstoppable CM set.

In what main roles was Reuniclus used?

In early BW, it was commonly used as a counter to stall, of which it was more than capable of doing. It had the ability to set up on just about any given hit, even many physical attackers, and even get to +6/+6 against teams lacking strong physical attacks, such as many early BW stall teams. As stall fell in favor of offense and remaining stall players packed threats that could dish out large amounts of damage to CM Reuniclus, the offensive Trick Room set gained popularity as it allow Reuniclus to clean up offensive teams. It was never as relevant to the metagame after its fall from limelight, but Reuniclus still remains an underrated threat that is a very capable cleaner in this metagame.

Reuniclus was so incredibly powerful early BW because of its combination of stats and ability. When fully invested physically defensively, Reuniclus is capable of taking hits from just about anything that wasn't a devoted physical attacker with ease. Combine this with Calm Mind, Recover, and Magic Guard's protection from chip damage like Toxic or Hazards and suddenly you have something that becomes incredibly hard to kill, especially for stall teams. Early BW teams generally lacked a Pokemon that could massively damage Reuniclus bar Scizor, of which did 90% max with U-Turn and allowed Reuniclus to get a free Recover as long as it survived. Without any way to wear Reuniclus down thanks to Magic Guard, this usually meant that Reuniclus would slowly win as Scizor continued to get worn down by hazards, and the rest of the team would get destroyed by Reuniclus as they had no remaining way to 2HKO it. Other things that could stop Reuniclus like Roar users were only a temporary solution that would eventually fail when Reuniclus was the last Pokemon left. Now in BW2 where OTR Reuniclus is present the reverse is true, Reuniclus with just a single turn of Trick Room set-up can clean up offensive teams with its ability to flat out OHKO many offensive threats after hazards without having to take LO damage, and is only held back by certain defensive threats on the opposing team.

Back in its heyday, Reuniclus was difficult to stop. Spiritomb, Bug Bite Scizor, and CB Tyranitar became popular counters immediately for stopping Reuniclus before it could even start, albeit the former two were fairly short lived until teams as a whole better adapted to take on Reuniclus without specified counters. Jirachi heavily relied on luck as Iron Heads did pitiful damage thanks to maximum defensive investment, but Reuniclus needed a lot of boosts to kill Jirachi, so the possibility of getting lucky and being able to counter Reuniclus was there.

OTR Reuniclus shares Jirachi as a counter and Scizor as a check, but otherwise are very different between the two sets, with defensive threats rather than offensive threats being its primary counters. Bulky roar users such as Latias can end a Trick Room sweep right there, the blobs stop it in its tracks, and it's much more prone to being worn down by random hits and priority attacks without losing coverage and TR turns to use Recover.

Last edited:
Reserving Celebi.

Unless the person who reserved Jirachi decides not to write a post about him, in which case I'd like to take the place of writing for Jirachi.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Reserving Celebi.

Unless the person who reserved Jirachi decides not to write a post about him, in which case I'd like to take the place of writing for Jirachi.
Yeah you should be fine, and I don't think anyone is doing Jirachi ATM right now anyways.

Speaking of that, there are six Pokemon that I would like to see nominated before we enter the voting stage, or else it might not be as accurate. Here are the Pokemon we NEED to be nominated, so please reserve these Pokemon before anything else:

Ninetales, Scizor, Jirachi, Deoxys-S, Thundurus-I, Garchomp

I think I'll reserve Jirachi seeing as the previous owner has failed to update their nomination post for 24 hours, and out of all these Pokemon listed here, I think it has one of the best chances of making it on the list, so it definitely needs a nomination.

Last edited:
Nominating Keldeo

What effect did Keldeo have on the metagame?

Explain how the Pokemon effected the metagame as whole, and how the metagame adapted around it. A brief description of which Pokemon it countered and which Pokemon it did well against would be good here as well.

When Keldeo was first released, it wasn't a major threat, but after the Deo-D era it became a Top Tier Threat. Since it is able to 2HKO a large portion of it's checks, plenty of which are Defensive powerhouses such as Latias, it really made Offense an even bigger threat. Most Stall Teams will fall to multiple Rain-boosted Hydro Pump's. Rain has become a bigger threat due to it. It's Ability to KO opposing Weather inducers such as Ninetales, Tyranitar and Abomasnow, means that Rain will be the usual Weather, which is a big boost for Keldeo. In that sense, it helps Rain just as Rain helps it.

Keldeo is able to act as a late game cleaner, with it's CM or EBelt set. It also excels as an early-game monster to tear holes in the opposing Team with it's Specs set, due to Hydro Pump tearing apart most Offensive Threats and Defensive Threats alike. The Scarf set also causes immense problems for Offensive Teams and revenges many things such as +1 Dragonite. Keldeo is an excellent check to Rain Teams, benefitting from the Rain, due to the boost to it's Water STAB of choice, and beating common Walls on Rain Teams, such as Ferrothorn.

Keldeo's resistance to Stealth Rock, high Speed and Special Attack and solid Defenses. It can 2HKO most of it's traditional checks, such as LO Latias, under Rain with it's Specs set. Since it can select which mons check it, with Hidden Power, it is impossible to check Keldeo until it's set has been determined, and different sets have different checks, forcing most Teams to run two or three checks to it. With the proper Move, nothing in the Tier is safe to switch-in to Keldeo's Specs set. Due to this, you're normally forced to sack something before you are capable of safely bringing in a check, at which point the opponent can switch Keldeo out.

Keldeo has very few answers, although the best answers are Celebi, Jellicent, Tentacruel and Amoonguss. It can be worn down through Hazards, which it hates, although the sheer Offensive pressure it brings means getting up Hazards isn't always easy. Faster Pokemon, such as Alakazam, Starmie and Latios are solid answers as well, although they can't switch in to Keldeo's Specs or EBelt set without taking serious damage. Slowking is also worth a mention, as although it generally isn't viable in OU, it can tank Keldeo's hits if it dosen't have a few boosts.

Yeah you should be fine, and I don't think anyone is doing Jirachi ATM right now anyways.

Speaking of that, there are six Pokemon that I would like to see nominated before we enter the voting stage, or else it might not be as accurate. Here are the Pokemon we NEED to be nominated, so please reserve these Pokemon before anything else:

Ninetales, Scizor, Jirachi, Deoxys-S, Thundurus-I, Garchomp

I think I'll reserve Jirachi seeing as the previous owner has failed to update their nomination post for 24 hours, and out of all these Pokemon listed here, I think it has one of the best chances of making it on the list, so it definitely needs a nomination.
Alright, then I'd like to do a post about Jirachi shortly.

The reason I was just checking, as I wasn't sure how long it was since he/she was reserved, nor did I know if they were actually going to do their nomination or not.

Thanks, and will post about Jirachi shortly.

Edit: Sorry about the confusion on my part, I misread your reply.

Last edited:

Gary

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, then I'd like to do a post about Jirachi shortly.

The reason I was just checking, as I wasn't sure how long it was since he/she was reserved, nor did I know if they were actually going to do their nomination or not.

Thanks, and will post about Jirachi shortly.
No wait you said you were doing Celebi, not Jirachi. I'm doing Jirachi, but you can do Celebi.

Nominating Keldeo

What effect did Keldeo have on the metagame?

Explain how the Pokemon effected the metagame as whole, and how the metagame adapted around it. A brief description of which Pokemon it countered and which Pokemon it did well against would be good here as well.

When Keldeo was first released, it wasn't a major threat, but after the Deo-D era it became a Top Tier Threat. Since it is able to 2HKO a large portion of it's checks, plenty of which are Defensive powerhouses such as Latias, it really made Offense an even bigger threat. Most Stall Teams will fall to multiple Rain-boosted Hydro Pump's. Rain has become a bigger threat due to it. It's Ability to KO opposing Weather inducers such as Ninetales, Tyranitar and Abomasnow, means that Rain will be the usual Weather, which is a big boost for Keldeo. In that sense, it helps Rain just as Rain helps it.

Keldeo is able to act as a late game cleaner, with it's CM or EBelt set. It also excels as an early-game monster to tear holes in the opposing Team with it's Specs set, due to Hydro Pump tearing apart most Offensive Threats and Defensive Threats alike. The Scarf set also causes immense problems for Offensive Teams and revenges many things such as +1 Dragonite. Keldeo is an excellent check to Rain Teams, benefitting from the Rain, due to the boost to it's Water STAB of choice, and beating common Walls on Rain Teams, such as Ferrothorn.

Keldeo's resistance to Stealth Rock, high Speed and Special Attack and solid Defenses. It can 2HKO most of it's traditional checks, such as LO Latias, under Rain with it's Specs set. Since it can select which mons check it, with Hidden Power, it is impossible to check Keldeo until it's set has been determined, and different sets have different checks, forcing most Teams to run two or three checks to it. With the proper Move, nothing in the Tier is safe to switch-in to Keldeo's Specs set. Due to this, you're normally forced to sack something before you are capable of safely bringing in a check, at which point the opponent can switch Keldeo out.

Keldeo has very few answers, although the best answers are Celebi, Jellicent, Tentacruel and Amoonguss. It can be worn down through Hazards, which it hates, although the sheer Offensive pressure it brings means getting up Hazards isn't always easy. Faster Pokemon, such as Alakazam, Starmie and Latios are solid answers as well, although they can't switch in to Keldeo's Specs or EBelt set without taking serious damage. Slowking is also worth a mention, as although it generally isn't viable in OU, it can tank Keldeo's hits if it dosen't have a few boosts.
Keldeo was already nominated...sorry about that. I couldn't update the OP until just recently. Sorry for the inconvenience :/

No wait you said you were doing Celebi, not Jirachi. I'm doing Jirachi, but you can do Celebi.

Keldeo was already nominated...sorry about that. I couldn't update the OP until just recently. Sorry for the inconvenience :/
Oops, sorry, my bad.

I'll do Celebi sometime around 10:00-11:00 PM EST.

Gary

Oops, sorry, my bad.

I'll do Celebi sometime around 10:00-11:00 PM EST.

Also, do you think there is a place in our posts, for us to be able to discuss what we believe are the Top 10 most influential OU Pokes, and our reasons why? Because I'd be interested in seeing other people's lists.
Okay cool. Anyways to answer your question, I don't think that's neccesary. It's supposed to be a community decision as to which Pokemon fit into what rank, and having each member list their top 10 would just add unnecessary bias. We don't want people's opinions to get into the way of things, we want solid reasoning as to why a certain Pokemon should fit into each rank. Besides, this IS just the nomination faze.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
if nobody wants to do chomper in the next 24 hours, i'll reserve him.

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So my nomination is Jirachi!

What effect did Jirachi have on the metagame?
Jirachi has always found great usage in BW. This is mainly because Jirachi can fill so many roles in the metagame, while also countering top threats that no other Pokemon can claim. During early BW1, Reuniclus and Latios were both extremely common Pokemon, and Jirachi was prehaps the best counter to both of them. Jirachi can also fit into basically any team so easily, as it's just such a good Pokemon, and can fill so many roles effectively. While I don't think Jirachi made the metagame centralise around it, I believe that if the metagame changed, Jirachi changed along with it successfully. During Reuniclus / Latios dominating, it was a special wall. During the Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn era, it was a Sub CM sweeper. During the Genesect era it was a revenge killer with Choice Scarf. And recently, it's become a great lure set with Expert Belt / Shuca Berry.

In what main role(s) was Jirachi used?
Oh boy, there are a lot of sets. Jirachi is extremely versatile, and can run so many sets so well. I'm going to be talking about the sets which I think had the most impact on BW's metagame. Specially Defensive Jirachi. This I think is probably Jirachi's most common set through out BW1 and some of BW2, and for good reason. Jirachi is one of the few counters to extremely hard hitters in the tier. Jirachi easily switches into Latios, Latias, Kyurem-B, Gengar, Alakazam, Tornadus(-T) and Reuniclus, and either forces the switch or cripples them for the rest of the game. SpDef Jirachi was/is a great team supporter in that it can provide Thunder Wave Support, Wish Support, SR support, and Flinch hax support (all in one set!).

Then there's SubCM Jirachi, which is a terrifying sweeper that dominated the Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn metagame. Jirachi at the time was the best switch into Tornadus-T, and could easily set up on most rain teams that carried Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn, which was extremely common during Tornadus-T's time. SubCM Jirachi could also paralyse it's opponents, as well as being one of the few CM sweepers to easily get past Blissey thanks to Jirachi's ability to creat 101 HP substitutes. All in all, this was / is a crazy good sweeper.

Scarf Jirachi is also a really really good Pokemon, mainly because of it's incredible move pool and ability to revenge kill top threats with it's great coverage and ability to Flinch it's opponent's to death if need be. Scarf Jirachi is mainly used on offensive teams, as it offers utility with U-turn, Healing Wish, and Iron Head, while still being a great switch into Latios and co. thanks to Jirachi's incredible typing. Scarf Jirachi could potentially revenge kill dangours threats, depending on it's coverage move. Fire Punch revenge killed Scizor, Lucario, and other steel types, while Ice Punch revenge killed Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Scarf Jirachi got quite a lot of usage during the Genesect period, as it outspeed Genesect by one stat point and could easily KO it with Fire Punch.

And finally we have Mix Jirachi. Mix Jirachi is so good in luring it's own counters in and beating them one on one. This set has rose in usage thanks to Bryce's Team. There's also a similar set which is currently being used in the OU CCAT. Garchomp, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon are all generally really good switch in's to Jirachi. Or at least they were, until this set came along. This set lures in said Pokemon, as easily beats them 1 on 1, removing them from the game for physical sweepers like Scizor, Lucario, and Terrakion to sweep easily.

There are a lot of reasons why Jirachi has been a solid Pokemon this whole generation. It's typing, move pool, stats, ability and being incredibly versatile are probably the biggest reasons towards Jirachi's success. Steel has always been a good typing, mainly because of it's incredible resists and few weaknesses. Add Psychic typing to Steel, and you're left with two weaknesses, one of them being Fire (which is hindered by Rain's dominance in the metagame), and the other being Ground. Jirachi has a solid base 100 stats all round, allowing it to be a sweeper, scarfer, or a special wall. Serene Grace has made people hate Jirachi because of it's ability to hax it's way to victory with the combination of Thunder (Wave) / Body Slam paralysing the opponent, and flinching the opponent with Iron Head. With Serene Grace, Iron Head has a 60% flinch rate, and Body Slam has a 60% paralyse rate. Now Jirachi's move pool is insane. It gets access to so many useful moves, and since it's typing and stats are solid, Jirachi's move pool allows it to play completely different roles depending on what team it's being used on. Choice Scarf, SpDef wall, SubCM, and Expert Belt Jirachi are all extremely viable.

How did you deal with this Pokemon in OU?
Although Jirachi is extremely versatile and no Pokemon can claim to counter every set, there are some general good switch in's to Jirachi. The first that comes to mind for me is Heatran. Heatran x4 resists Iron Head, and doesn't care too much about being paralysed (if it's a defensive set). Heatran can then proceed to Lava Plume Jirachi, Roar out the Sub CM set, and so on. Ferrothorn is another steel type that doesn't care too much about Jirachi, but it's also set up bait for SubCM Jirachi, so watch out. Rotom-W is generally a nice switch into most Jirachi's, as again it resists Iron Head by x4, and doesn't care too much about being paralysed. Rotom-W can then either burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or gain momentum with Volt Switch / hit it hard with Hydro Pump.Sun teams with Volcarona, Infernape, and Ninetales generally don't have much trouble with Jirachi, although powerful Sun sweepers like Victini, Ddarmanitan, and Volcarona really don't like being paralysed, so Sun teams have to be careful in the regard. Ground types are generally good switch in's to most Jirachi. Landorus-T, Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon counter most Jirachi sets, but must watch out for Expert Belt Jirachi.

:toast:

Last edited:

Gary

So my nomination is Jirachi!

What effect did Jirachi have on the metagame?
Jirachi has always found great usage in BW. This is mainly because Jirachi can fill so many roles in the metagame, while also countering top threats that no other Pokemon can claim. During early BW1, Reuniclus and Latios were both extremely common Pokemon, and Jirachi was prehaps the best counter to both of them. Jirachi can also it into basically any team so easily, as it's just such a good Pokemon, and can fill so many roles effectively. While I don't think Jirachi made the metagame centralise around it, I believe that if the metagame changed, Jirachi changed along with it successfully. During Reuniclus / Latios dominating, it was a special wall. During the Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn era, it was a Sub CM sweeper. During the Genesect era it was a revenge killer with Choice Scarf. And recently, it's become a great lure set with Expert Belt / Shuca Berry.

In what main role(s) was Jirachi used?
Oh boy, there are a lot of sets. Jirachi is extremely versatile, and can run so many sets so well. I'm going to be talking about the sets which I think had the most impact on BW's metagame. Specially Defensive Jirachi. This I think is probably Jirachi's most common set through out BW1 and some of BW2, and for good reason. Jirachi is one of the few counters to extremely hard hitters in the tier. Jirachi easily switches into Latios, Latias, Kyurem-B, Gengar, Alakazam, Tornadus(-T) and Reuniclus, and either forces the switch or cripples them for the rest of the game. SpDef Jirachi was/is a great team supporter in that it can provide Thunder Wave Support, Wish Support, SR support, and Flinch hax support (all in one set!).

Then there's SubCM Jirachi, which is a terrifying sweeper that dominated the Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn metagame. Jirachi at the time was the best switch into Tornadus-T, and could easily set up on most rain teams that carried Tornadus-T / Ferrothorn, which was extremely common during Tornadus-T's time. SubCM Jirachi could also paralyse it's opponents, as well as being one of the few CM sweepers to easily get past Blissey thanks to Jirachi's ability to creat 101 HP substitutes. All in all, this was / is a crazy good sweeper.

Scarf Jirachi is also a really really good Pokemon, mainly because of it's incredible move pool and ability to revenge kill top threats with it's great coverage and ability to Flinch it's opponent's to death if need be. Scarf Jirachi is mainly used on offensive teams, as it offers utility with U-turn, Healing Wish, and Iron Head, while still being a great switch into Latios and co. thanks to Jirachi's incredible typing. Scarf Jirachi could potentially revenge kill dangours threats, depending on it's coverage move. Fire Punch revenge killed Scizor, Lucario, and other steel types, while Ice Punch revenge killed Dragonite, Salamence, Garchomp, and Landorus-T. Scarf Jirachi got quite a lot of usage during the Genesect period, as it outspeed Genesect by one stat point and could easily KO it with Fire Punch.

And finally we have Mix Jirachi. Mix Jirachi is so good in luring it's own counters in and beating them one on one. This set has rose in usage thanks to Bryce's Team. There's also a similar set which is currently being used in the OU CCAT. Garchomp, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon are all generally really good switch in's to Jirachi. Or at least they were, until this set came along. This set lures in said Pokemon, as easily beats them 1 on 1, removing them from the game for physical sweepers like Scizor, Lucario, and Terrakion to sweep easily.

There are a lot of reasons why Jirachi has been a solid Pokemon this whole generation. It's typing, move pool, stats, ability and being incredibly versatile are probably the biggest reasons towards Jirachi's success. Steel has always been a good typing, mainly because of it's incredible resists and few weaknesses. Add Psychic typing to Steel, and you're left with two weaknesses, one of them being Fire (which is hindered by Rain's dominance in the metagame), and the other being Ground. Jirachi has a solid base 100 stats all round, allowing it to be a sweeper, scarfer, or a special wall. Serene Grace has made people hate Jirachi because of it's ability to hax it's way to victory with the combination of Thunder (Wave) / Body Slam paralysing the opponent, and the flinching the opponent with Iron Head. With Serene Grace, Iron Head has a 60% flinch rate, and Body Slam has a 60% paralyse rate. Now Jirachi's move pool is insane. It gets access to so many useful moves, and since it's typing and stats are solid, Jirachi's move pool allows it to play completely different roles depending on what team it's being used on. Choice Scarf, SpDef wall, SubCM, and Expert Belt Jirachi are all extremely viable.

How did you deal with this Pokemon in OU?
Although Jirachi is extremely versatile and no Pokemon can claim to counter every set, there are some general good switch in's to Jirachi. The first that comes to mind for me is Heatran. Heatran x4 resists Iron Head, and doesn't care too much about being paralysed (if it's a defensive set). Heatran can then proceed to Lava Plume Jirachi, Roar out the Sub CM set, and so on. Rotom-W is generally a nice switch into most Jirachi's, as again it resists Iron Head by x4, and doesn't care too much about being paralysed. Rotom-W can then either burn it with Will-O-Wisp, or gain momentum with Volt Switch / hit it hard with Hydro Pump. Ground types are generally good switch in's to most Jirachi. Landorus-T, Garchomp, Hippowdon, and Gastrodon counter most Jirachi sets, but must watch out for Expert Belt Jirachi.

:toast:
Very well thought out, detailed nomination SS. I like how you didn't miss out on anything significant or sometimes overlooked (like the fact that it can create 101 Subs for example and the underrated Shuca Berry or Mixed set). This will definitely help us possibly rank Jirachi if it happens to make it into the Top 10. Thanks for this.

Nominating Celebi

What effect did Celebi have on the metagame?

Celebi is another one of those Pokemon with base 100 stats across the board, allowing it to fulfill many different roles, and thus finding a way to fit into many different teams based on the role players want it to have. One of, if not it's most popular, set, is a specially defensive set, which allows it to tank special hits from the likes of Thunderus-T, Rotom-Wash, Latios, Latias, Starmie, and Keldeo. It has a very extensive support movepool, containing the likes of Thunder Wave, Perish Song, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Recover, Substitute, and Baton Pass, allowing it to have variations in it's defensive sets based off of what a player wants.

Not only is it one of the best defensive Pokes around, it can also pull of specially-based offense very well. There are many different options available, ranging from Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Calm Mind, or a Nasty Plot sweeper, while it's movepool ranges from Leaf Storm, Earth Power, Giga Drain, Psychic, and Hidden Power for coverage.

During the era when Genesect was still allowed in OU, Celebi was sadly much less used, as Genesect's U-Turn and Flamethrower would completely decimate Celebi, and it was during this period that Celebi was much less used, being that Genesect was the King of OU.

Then once Genesect was banned to Ubers during it's suspect test, Celebi became more used, as one of the biggest threats during this period to OU was Sheer Force Landorus, which dominated the metagame with Sheer Force Life Orb Earth Power's and Focus Blasts, both of which Celebi resisted. Celebi was one of, if not the best, Landorus counters available, which is why after Genesect's ban Celebi saw much more use, due to it being probably the best Landorus counter.

Not only that, but Celebi does an excellent job at being a great Keldeo check, and is the sole reason why many Keldeo choose to run Expert Belt with HP Bug, in order to not be completely walled by Celebi.

Defensive Celebi also sees usage, as a bulky Celebi counters two of the most used physical attackers in the game, Terrakion and Breloom. Celebi resists every common move Terrakion uses bar X-Scissor, and is the sole reason why many Terrakion users choose to run X-Scissor, while Breloom's most common attacks, Bullet Seed, Mach Punch, Low Sweep, and Focus Punch, can barely put a dent into Celebi, as Celebi resists all of those moves.

In what main roles is Celebi used?

Celebi is more often than not used as the specially defensive backbone of a team. One of the most common and talked-about Pokemon that it can check very well is Keldeo, as Celebi is one of the only true checks to this Pokemon. Not only does it check Keldeo fairly well, but it also checks many other strong special attackers in the metagame, among them being Starmie, Latios, Latias, specially-based Jirachi, and Landorus back when it was still OU.

What caused this Pokemon to have such a significant impact?

The fact that it was able to check many of the most common specially-based attackers in the metagame, as well as be a very good Pokemon to go up against rain teams. Also, the fact that it is one of the more bulky offensive threats, that also has a unique quality in its Grass STAB, as well as also being able to support the team while maintaining and offensive presence.

How do you deal with Celebi?

Celebi's typing is a double-edged sword, as it has 6 useful resistances available, however it also gives it 7 weaknesses, particularly a 4x weakness to Bug. Hitting it hard on the physical side is one of the best ways to dispose of Celebi, as the majority of Celebis are specially bulky. Hitting them hard with a Pokemon such as Infernape with Flare Blitz, or Terrakion with X-Scissor is one of the most common ways to deal with Celebi.

Volcarona is also a common switch-in to Celebi, as both of its STABs dent Celebi hard, however Volcarona should be wary of Thunder Wave on any switch-ins, as specially defensive Celebis can oftentimes run Thunder Wave to cripple faster threats.

Hard-hitting physical Dark types can also be used, so if you want to use a UU threat, Weavile or Honchkrow are also good options, especially since they are immune to the ever-so-common Psychic.

One of the most effective however is using Tyranitar or Scizor to Pursuit-trap Celebi, as Tyranitar is immune to Psychic, and specially defensive variants can take Grass attacks fairly well, and Scizor resists both of Celebi's STABs, and can then proceed to Pursuit-trap Celebi.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nominating SCIZOR

What effect did Scizor have on the metagame?

Scizor was a dominant force throughout BW. It was one of those Pokemon that directly determined the viability of certain Pokemon, and while it fluctuated in usage at certain points (during Genesect's reign in OU it was nigh unseen), it always recovered and returned as one of the kings of OU. This is due in part to its excellent typing, which is conducive to switching into and revenge killing the various Dragon-types that populate OU. Its access to the invaluable trapping move, Pursuit, and a Technician-boosted Bullet Punch and U-turn made Scizor a force to be reckoned with. With the ability to become a difficult-to-stop sweeper with Swords Dance in the snap of a finger as well, nothing was entirely safe once Scizor was out, especially with new innovations on the standard coming with each metagame shift. It turned switches into coinflips with two powerful attacks in U-turn and Bullet Punch, and overall was one of the most threatening Pokemon to face in BW.

In what main roles was Scizor used?

Scizor was primarily used with a Choice Band set. The set utilized a powerful Bullet Punch and U-turn to revenge kill and outright murder many defensive Pokemon. Switching in resistors to Bullet Punch was often a massive risk, as U-turn would put a huge dent in Pokemon like Jirachi and Politoed. Often, Scizor could just mindlessly click U-turn on a Pokemon like Latios or Gengar that couldn't hurt it and go to town. Pursuit was powerful with a Choice Band boost, and made staying in or switching out with Latios and Gengar, both of which were OHKOed with Bullet Punch after minimal prior damage, a coin flip for their users and a win-win for the Scizor user. With Superpower to wreck Pokemon like Ferrothorn, weakened specially defensive Skarmory, and Keldeo, Scizor had something for many threats.

Then there was the Swords Dance set, which underwent many evolutions throughout the generation. It finished the generation with an Acrobatics + Flying Gem set that could lure in and murder Pokemon like Landorus-T, Keldeo, Tentacruel, and Jellicent, which were widely considered to be good Scizor counters. The ability to turn the tables on typical Scizor counters made the set extremely powerful and difficult to stop. A +2 Bullet Punch stopped most offensive Pokemon in their tracks. For much of the generation, however, it donned a much more typical set with a Life Orb + Bug Bite set. Life Orb boosted all of Scizor's attacks, and Bug Bite was quite powerful after a Swords Dance and Technician boost. However, it fell out of favor when the potency of Acrobatics was discovered. A bulky Swords Dance set also made some appearances, getting more and less common with the generational shifts. This set took advantage of Scizor's access to Roost and great special bulk to handle threats like Gengar and Latios extremely well while having the ability to set up and sweep.

Finally, there was the Choice Scarf set, which capitalized on threats like Hidden Power Fire Latios and Gengar that thought they were all high and mighty against Scizor when they were suddenly outsped and KOed by Iron Head/U-turn. It made one of the best partners to Gengar on hyper offense teams, as it could handle Starmie, the one spinner that Gengar could not get past no matter how hard it tried. It was mainly a surprise set, but it was legitimately viable as a revenge killer that didn't rely on a priority resisted by top threats like Keldeo.

What caused Scizor to have a significant impact?

Scizor's impact was mainly so great because it could handle many top threats of the new generation. Latios, for example, was checkmated by it, and it was at one point nearly banned. Latias, while nowhere near the same fate at any point as her more powerful brother, was brought down a notch by Scizor's mere existence. Gengar was in the same boat. What was a main force in keeping Kyurem-B in check? Guess who -- Scizor. You could switch into something expecting a Choice Band set and proceed to get wrecked after Scizor set up a Swords Dance and used Acrobatics on your Jellicent or Tentacruel. Ice-types as a whole and thus hail were made less viable because of Scizor's existence. It was one of the determining factors in Reuniclus's decline, and handled Alakazam extremely well. It could put large dents in Pokemon like Jirachi and bulky Politoed with Choice Band-boosted U-turns. It provided another option besides running sand with Tyranitar for Pursuit trapping, as it was entirely weather-independent -- it could fit onto literally any type of team, even pure stall. Its ability to Pursuit trap catapulted its usefulness and usage in the ending stages of BW, in which threats like Keldeo and the banned Landorus took advantage of its ability to trap Pokemon like Celebi, Jellicent, Latias, and Latios.

How did you deal with Scizor?

Scizor was primarily dealt with via walls like physically defensive Skarmory, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Jellicent, and Tentacruel. When burnt, like most physical attackers, Scizor became no better than death fodder, enabling the bulky Water-types with Scald and Will-O-Wisp to beat it, while Landorus-T and Gliscor just had exceptional bulk and could dent it fairly well with Earthquake, though Landorus-T was much more adept in both aspects thanks to Intimidate and a base 145 Attack stat. Skarmory just completely walled it and could phaze it out or use it as Spikes setup fodder. Despite its solid bulk, Scizor could not hold up to rain-boosted Surfs and Hydro Pumps, meaning threats like Keldeo, Starmie, and Politoed fared exceptionally well against it. Heatran was a great switch-in to most of Choice Band and Choice Scarf Scizor's moveset and fully countered most bulky Swords Dance Scizor. Forretress could take any attack with ease and use it as hazard setup fodder or get off a free Rapid Spin/gain momentum with Volt Switch. Magnezone could trap and kill Choice-locked Scizor with a Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Fire, though Scizor could easily get out with its own U-turn. Volcarona and Ninetales, one of which was common for and the other of which was mandatory for sun, walled Scizor for the most part (though Acrobatics did hurt quite a bit) and could KO with their respective Fire-type attacks. An odd Hidden Power Fire, even in rain if it was reasonably powerful, could surprise Scizor and KO it, which Pokemon like Latios and Rotom-W as well as sets like MYSTICgar (Gengar with Protect) capitalized on. Overall, Scizor could be handled fairly well, but despite its flaws still managed to make a huge impact on the metagame.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Nominating Celebi

Celebi is another one of those Pokemon with base 100 stats across the board, allowing it to fulfill many different roles, and thus finding a way to fit into many different teams based on the role players want it to have. One of, if not it's most popular, set, is a specially defensive set, which allows it to tank special hits from the likes of Thunderus-T, Rotom-Wash, Latios, Latias, Starmie, and Keldeo. It has a very extensive support movepool, containing the likes of Thunder Wave, Perish Song, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Recover, Substitute, and Baton Pass, allowing it to have variations in it's defensive sets based off of what a player wants.

Not only is it one of the best defensive Pokes around, it can also pull of specially-based offense very well. There are many different options available, ranging from Choice Scarf, Choice Specs, Calm Mind, or a Nasty Plot sweeper, while it's movepool ranges from Leaf Storm, Earth Power, Giga Drain, Psychic, and Hidden Power for coverage.

Celebi is more often than not used as the specially defensive backbone of a team. One of the most common and talked-about Pokemon that it can check very well is Keldeo, as Celebi is one of the only true checks to this Pokemon. Not only does it check Keldeo fairly well, but it also checks many other strong special attackers in the metagame, among them being Starmie, Latios, Latias, specially-based Jirachi, and Landorus back when it was still OU.

The fact that it was able to check many of the most common specially-based attackers in the metagame, as well as be a very good Pokemon to go up against rain teams. Also, the fact that it is one of the more bulky offensive threats, that also has a unique quality in its Grass STAB, as well as also being able to support the team while maintaining and offensive presence.

Celebi's typing is a double-edged sword, as it has 6 useful resistances available, however it also gives it 7 weaknesses, particularly a 4x weakness to Bug. Hitting it hard on the physical side is one of the best ways to dispose of Celebi, using Pokemon such as Infernape, Terrakion, and Lucario is an effective method.

One of the most effective however is using Tyranitar or Scizor to Pursuit-trap Celebi, as they both can take the majority of Celebi's attacks well, and can oftentimes OHKO Celebi if the opponent tries to switch out.
It's worth noting how celebi had a particularly large MIA period from the start of BW2 to around the end of lando-i's ban.

Yeah I agree with Haruno, and note that it's was mainly because of Genesect. However, Celebi was used a lot when Lando-i was near the ban it was used to check ones without u-turn (sketchy, i know, but it was considered a check... that's why landorus was banned i guees :P)

Gary

Nominating Celebi

Celebi's typing is a double-edged sword, as it has 6 useful resistances available, however it also gives it 7 weaknesses, particularly a 4x weakness to Bug. Hitting it hard on the physical side is one of the best ways to dispose of Celebi, using Pokemon such as Infernape, Terrakion, and Lucario is an effective method.

One of the most effective however is using Tyranitar or Scizor to Pursuit-trap Celebi, as they both can take the majority of Celebi's attacks well, and can oftentimes OHKO Celebi if the opponent tries to switch out.
Yeah there are a few things missing from this nomination that could keep it from potentially being in the top 10. As GSC and Haruno mentioned, Celebi was one of, if not the greatest counters to RP Landorus in the tier. Although Landorus began to adapt and run U-turn, Celebi was still well known for stopping the incredibly dangerous Special sweeping Landorus from demolishing entire teams. On top of that, I think you should mention that it's one of the best Breloom checks because it resists both of its STABs and can take a +2 5 hit Bullet Seed and then a Mach Punch. Something that many fail to remember is that physically defensive Celebi is the reason that Terrakion still to this day continues to use X-Scissor on its Scarf and Band sets, or else it could wall it to hell. Also you should mention that Celebi is also the factor behind the birth of E-Belt Keldeo, because Keldeo had to adapt to specially defensive Celebi by running HP Bug and an Expert Belt just to handle Celebi without the need of a Pursuit trapper. So in total, that's three Pokemon that had to adapt in order to get around Celebi, or else they risked being walled to hell. That's huge for a defensive Pokemon. Three huge dominant threats in today's metagame had to change up their sets in order to deal with this. That's important. Please add these things in if you don't mind.

The small things mean everything in these nominations guys. Remember that people! Make sure to take extra notice of defensive or offensive Pokemon that had to adapt to your nominated Pokemon in order to deal with it. Those things can be key in potentially giving it a spot on the list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)