ORAS OU The Tri-Lambs: Revenge of Mixmence

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Tri-Lambs: Revenge of the Nerds Mixmence

While I haven't been playing much these days, I've really enjoyed the new toys ORAS has brought us, and I can't help but start to throw teams together. Mega-Salamence has easily been the most talked-up new addition to OU, and while I was also excited to see it introduced, I knew I didn't want a standard DD team. Instead, I went with what was always my favorite Salamence option from way back in ADV: MixMence.

With solid attacking stats of 145/120/120, it seemed a waste to focus solely on the physical or special side. MixMence is not a sweeper, but with the ability to hit hard from either side of the spectrum and break most of his usual counters, combined with that fantastic Speed, I knew I wanted to try it out. Instead of building things up for a Salamence sweep, I decided to use Salamence to open up holes in the opposing team for another sweeper who really appreciated the death of Skarmory, Forretress, Hippowdon, Rotom-W or Slowbro: Excadrill.

So I had my basic offensive core: mixed Mega-Salamence and Sand Rush Excadrill. That meant Tyranitar or Hippowdon was a must. As Tyranitar also gave me an answer to Talonflame and mono-attacking MegaMence, I went with Tyranitar. I also knew I wanted to include Greninja, as the addition of Gunk Shot makes her the most versatile pokemon in the tier. I had the basis of my team, and I was pretty happy.

I tried a few different things in the last two slots. I knew I wanted scarfers or priority there, as additional checks on the dangerous new set-up sweepers and super fast threats that ORAS brought us. In the end, I settled on a pair of banded priority attackers: Dragonite and Scizor. While Dragonite hates sand, it appreciates the reliable spinning of Excadrill, and at full health can counter Salamence even at +1 or +2. It is also one of the best checks to Greninja around. Scizor gave me a slow U-turn to break sashes/balloons while bringing in my sweepers, and a powerful second priority attack.

I don't get much time to ladder, with a three month old baby at home, but just messing around with the team during my rare free time has brought me into the 1300s on the ORAS ladder. The team is a blast to play, and while I think I want to try out some of the new ORAS toys for a little while, I expect to come back to this one once the meta settles down.

Booger (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Good to see you again, MixMence. It's been a while.

OK, so I thought I'd start here, since this was the inspiration for the rest of the team. I wanted to build around a Salamence set that focused on wallbreaking and luring its usual counters, allowing Excadrill and CBnite to sweep later in the game. With the ability to hit hard on both sides of the spectrum, MixMence is a monster. Its bulk and Intimidate give it many easy switch-ins, and this thing is exceptionally hard to wall - special walls have to fear an Aerilate Frustration or EQ, while physical walls risk taking a Draco Meteor to the face.

The EVs are meant to break Skarmory, who is OHKO'd by Fire Blast (assuming Sturdy is broken from SR or prior damage), while also taking care of all versions of Ferrothorn. Draco Meteor OHKOs opposing Salamence, Lati@s, and the like, while also slamming physical walls such as Hippowdon (78-92%), Slowbro (76-90%) and defensive Rotom-W (78-92%).

I've been considering dropping down to 176 Speed EVs, which will keep Salamence ahead of the Lati twins and Gengar and give him more punch on the physical side, but I'm not sure. 120+ is pretty nice speed-wise, giving me the Speed tie with pre-evolution Sceptile and outspeeding most post-evo Mence (who rarely run full Speed, and almost never expect to take a Draco Meteor to the face). Still, the extra damage would be nice.

Skolnick (Tyranitar) @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

My SR-setter, birdspam check and sand setter. Set and EVs were ripped from TheEnder's team, and they're pretty nice - they ensure survival from Lando-T's EQ while allowing him to KO in return with Ice Beam. It also gives me an excellent answer to mono-attacking MegaMences, letting me break their subs with ease even post Intimidate while taking minimal damage from their Flying attacks.

Poindexter (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

What would Tyranitar be without his little mole to clean things up? This is my primary win condition, and I went with the Life Orb version rather than the arguably better Air Balloon version because I need to deal as much damage as possible to weakened threats like Hippo and Slowbro. As Starmie is really pretty underwhelming on the ORAS ladder, thanks to her awesome 115 Speed tier no longer being so spectacular, Drill is also once again the best offensive spinner around, and if it looks like an Exca sweep isn't possible, he can at least usually reliably get rocks off the field for Dragonite.

Gilbert (Greninja) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump

General revenge-killer, and quite possibly the deadliest threat on the ORAS ladder right now. Seriously, Greninja seems to be consistently more problematic than any of the new Megas. Outspeeding all of them pre-evo and with coverage that makes Mew weep, this is just an all-around fantastic answer to, well, everything. Gunk Shot for fairies in general and Azumarill in particular, who otherwise walls this set and is a pretty good answer to Mence, too. It also has a chance at 2HKOing Chansey after SR and sandstorm damage, meaning the pink blob is no longer safe from Greninja. Ice Beam is a must for coverage, hitting opposing Mence, Sceptile, and all the other good things that Ice Beam hits. Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse are the last two slots, and the two I'm least sure of. Dark Pulse went on as an answer to Mew and Slowbro, and as the best option for neutral coverage against things like Rotom-W (who takes like no damage from Grass Knot). Hydro Pump was for power, and should probably stay.

I've considered HP Fire, but with the heavy proliferation of Greninja running about, I really don't like the idea of dropping my Speed at all. It's nice knowing that I beat a good number of Greninjas on the ladder right now because they have HP Fire and I don't.

Lamar (Dragonite) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

CBnite is my second birdspam check, an excellent answer to Greninja, and probably the best revenge killer around right now, especially in tandem with CB Scizor. With Multiscale intact, this thing can take a +2 Frustration from bulky Salamence and OHKO in return with Outrage. It also deals ~75% to things like Greninja and Thundurus with Extremespeed, and ~70% to Talonflame. I was a little uncertain about using this guy on a sand team, but having a reliable way to keep rocks off the field is honestly enough of a boon to Dragonite that it hasn't been much of a problem.

Takashi (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Alongside CBnite, this forms a strong double-priority offensive duo that can break most of the dangerous set-up sweepers around. If you screw up and let Gallade get in that Swords Dance, or Mega-Lop manages to pick up some boosts with PUP, CB Scizor and CBnite can almost always break them. This also gives yet another answer to bulky fairies, and its slow U-turn is fantastic for bringing in Salamence or Tyranitar. It's also great against the Mamoswine that I've been seeing everywhere on the ladder, and can break sashes and Air Balloons early on to help Excadrill sweep late game.

EVs maximize attack and bulk while ensuring he hits 200 Speed to outspeed neutral-natured Azumarill.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 48 Atk / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Atk / 104 SpA
Brave Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- U-turn

I'll try to add threats later. I'd love to see what folks think!​

Last edited:
solid team and i love in addition that you have mix mence. One thing i would change is to take of eq on mence and put roost just because it always going to be switching in out after -2 dracos drill and night can take on ground weaks. drill is gonna be weared down by life orb so its gonna get rocks off the field time to time. Just suggesting roost because sometimes you could be in trouble since your already rocking double cb and sometime forces mence to come in to take on some hits etc. Your team also has status weakness against sableye since it gets extra bulk when it mega evos and has magic bounce.

Hiya, I just wanted to comment on the double banders on your team. I feel that scizor fills no real purpose on your team especially as you have LO excadrill and Espeed Dnite to check fast sweepers. The best leads nowadays have u-turn for early game momentum and I feel that outside of your sand drill scarfers can pose real threats. While I do not want to compund your 2 4x ice weaknesses further I'd like to change scizor for something like ScarfRachi (which outspeeds common lando-t scarfers and can smack them with Ice Punch provided you aren't intimidated. Also Jirachi walls Mega Gardevoir to no end and causes serious hax. Also I think that life orb excadrill just dies too quickly with all the priority in the game (bisharp etc) and I'd change it for Air balloon, at least this way you limit sand teams biggests checks from spamming EQ - Lando-T.

tl;dr
@
>
@

Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Iron Head/U-Turn

Gl

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There are a few reasons I run Scizor. It helps check things like Salamence after a DD and Agiligross (who resists Extremespeed and outspeeds most scarfers, but can't really nail Scizor with its Steel/Psychic/Ground coverage), it can switch into Azumarill more or less comfortably, and most importantly, it does ~50% to max defense Mega-Slowbro with U-turn. Compare that to Jirachi, who does a mere 15% instead. It also is a better answer to the Mamoswines that are all over the ORAS ladder right know - both resist Ice Shard and crap all over it with faster Steel attacks, but Jirachi can't switch in for fear of EQ.

Also, Scarf Lando-T lead versus CB Scizor lead is usually a net win for Scizor. It takes minimal damage from U-turn and hits the switch-in with its own U-turn, giving you the momentum advantage.

That said, Scarfrachi might not be a bad idea to try out, since it's a better option against Greninja. I'll give it a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)