SM OU The Trick Room Doom Battalion (1650+, top 100 ladder)

The Trick Room Doom Battalion themselves!

So after trying several play-styles this gen, largely lazily and unsuccessfully, I thought I'd go back to my old familiar - Trick Room. Trick Room has gained a lot this gen, with a load of new viable setters and abusers ready to wreak havoc on the tier. In addition a lot of the problems that greatly hindered Trick Room last gen - mainly Gale Wings and Clefable's predominance - are no longer an issue, meaning there can be a lot more variation in Trick Room teams (and probably teams in general). This team has a lot in common with my gen 6 successful team - the Trick Room Doom Squadron - maintaining three setters, two with suicide moves and one sweeper, as well as three abusers. As the team reached 1650+ and top 100, I thought it was time for a RMT, if I reach any higher I'll update with a new peak. Onto the team...

Uxie

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento

Role: Lead, Trick Room setter, Stealth Rocker

Description: The only thing I've kept from my gen 6 team, and the only non-gen 7 mon. Uxie is a fantastic lead, able to take one hit from anything more or less guaranteed (in the replay below, it takes a Subzero Slammer Freeze Shock from Kyurem-B, yeah...). Magic Coat let's you reflect Taunts or Rocks, which can be very important against things like TankChomp as it buys you a turn (TankChomp likes to set and D-Tail, if you reflect hit rocks back you can happily set TR turn 2 and Memento turn 3) - and is just generally useful to hassle other leads like Azelf. Memento lets you suicide out if there's not reasonable switch, bringing something in completely safely.

You've got to weigh your options when using it as a lead. Preferably you'll want to SR turn 1, then TR, then switch or Memento - however in the face of a super-effective mon you'll want to TR first then rock set as hopefully they'll KO turn 2 (if they switch, try and make a sensible switch yourself turn 3 to regain momentum). All in all, it's a solid mon - able to take one hit (so long as it doesn't flinch or crit) from the entire meta.

Calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Pheromosa U-turn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 187-221 (52.9 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Uxie: 234-276 (66.2 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 266-314 (75.3 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 116-138 (32.8 - 39%) -- 99.7% chance to 3HKO
248 Atk Genesect U-turn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Uxie: 132-156 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498502143 - Uxie bossing a 200 BP Subzero Slammer from Kyurem-B, what a beast

Magearna

Magearna @ Air Balloon
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere Thunderbolt

Role: Trick Room setter, cleaner, nuker, Lele check

Description: A great new Trick Room setter for this gen, almost ideally built to exploit TR. Fairy/Steel typing has only two weaknesses - Fire and Ground - and with Air Balloon you can consider that one. It also resists Dark and Bug, which most Psychic type setters have problems with. Fleur Cannon hits like a truck, and unlike Draco Meteor from the Lati twins you don't hurt near as much from using it if you KO due to Soul Heart. With the crazy bulk and typing, Magearna can easily set TR two times a match even without recovery.

The set is reasonably self explanatory, with TR, two STABs and the Aura Sphere to hit Steels. While an item that adds damage may be preferable, Air Balloon allows it to form a nice core with Marowak (more on that later) and also can really mess with the opponent's plans - as their Ground counter can't really do damage to it for a turn, which is ideal to set Trick Room and then hit back hard or switch. A great mon, great defensive typing, hard hitting moves - what more could you want?

EDIT: Move change: On Marcelloc2's suggestion, Aura Sphere was changed to TBolt. Aura Sphere doesn't tend to see much use, and besides Fleur Cannon hits resists harder than a neutral Aura Sphere anyway. This team struggles with Celesteela, so T-Bolt seems a much better option.

Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498586318 - Magearna doing what it does best, checking Lele and cleaning against a weakened team. It was a second match against DEEP FRIED FRIEN (a gentlemen and a scholar) who beat me first time round, showing this team isn't just based on gimmicks to win.

Mimikyu

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Curse
- Destiny Bond

Role: More-or-less guaranteed setter, Substitute counter-play, occasional spin blocker, potential late game cleaner

Description: I think this is the best thing to happen to Trick Room this gen, something that can set TR guaranteed (especially guaranteed if you use Mental Herb, but there aren't so many Taunt users currently in the meta). I don't think the value of a guaranteed setter for a TR team can be stated enough, it means so long as Mimikyu is alive at some point you're flipping the momentum of the game on it's head to your advantage - and there's nothing the opponent can do about it.

Shadow Claw is the STAB, much more value than Shadow Sneak due to Lele. With a STAB attack you can Trick Room, then KO something weakened, then Curse or Destiny Bond or clean further with Claw - it's that simple. Destiny Bond can be used to check any sweeper you need it to - sack something, set TR with Mimikyu on the Disguise turn and then D-Bond on the greedy player who doesn't want to forgo his setup.

Curse is a reasonable counter play to substitute abusers like Buzzwole and Zygarde, limiting their fun and hopefully giving me enough momentum from the switch to win. Plus, it's a more reliable means of a free switch than D-Bond - you can set TR and then the combo of another attack, likely SR damage and the Curse 50% easily faints you, granting you a free switch. It may seem redundant with D-Bond, but it's not - D-Bond deals with mons that threaten your team, whereas Curse greatly hampers pokemon often allowing you to setup on them and encouraging them to switch. This set, in my mind, makes Mimikyu a TR god.

What else I tried: WoW's lack of accuracy is a real problem, and while sometimes it's of use the times where it misses you really feel it. I did use in the place of Shadow Claw, but honestly one attack really helps the set to clean or even get you into an easy KO range with LO recoil using Destiny Bond to take them out.

Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499307339 - The match that got me into the top 100, and the SubPunch Buzzwole counter play I was talking about with Curse.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498607474 - Another Buzzwole counter play.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498508326 - Mimikyu cleaning 3 mons end game with Shadow Claw, the match that let me break 1500
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499318989 - Mimikyu assuring a victory high ladder with his guaranteed TR

Alolan-Marowak

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang Earthquake

Role: Slow TR abuser

Description: A-Marowak is goddamn nightmare to face, having a spammable 120 BP move in Flare Blitz and an effective 209 base attack with Thick Club when you fully invest him. Here's a nice comparison if you aren't convinced of his power:

252 Atk Life Orb Victini V-create vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 421-497 (65.5 - 77.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 411-484 (64 - 75.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Flare Blitz hits almost as hard as LO V-create, without any side effects - this mon is crying out for use on TR! Shadow Bone rounds off his coverage nicely, and it doesn't make contact - conveniently side-stepping Rocky Helmet and Rough Skin/Iron Barbs shenanigans after a boost. Bonemerang theoretically allows you to bypass subs and sashes, but I've never used it for that - it's mainly there to OHKO Heatran and hit Toxapex harder. Swords Dance makes you more or less uncontainable for a few turns, OHKOing Lando after rocks with Flare Blitz - and more or less anything else you can find on the tier. In terms of the bulk, this gives it a 50% chance of surviving stall-breaker Heatran Earth Power after rocks, and takes Scalds better, so I think it may be the best way to go - but it's something I'm currently testing.

In terms of the Magearna core I was talking about, Ground types are a common attempt to revenge Marowak after TR fades (particularly Lando) - Magearna gives a straight switch into EQ and a opportunity to set TR again. In turn, Wak resists Fire moves. It is a very decent synergistic combo, and the switch into Magearna can completely mess with the opponent as there is no way to anticipate it.

Calcs:
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 339-399 (104.9 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 361-426 (94.7 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 288-339 (83.9 - 98.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 664-784 (172 - 203.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Shadow Bone vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Metagross-Mega: 308-366 (102.3 - 121.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 184-220 (60.7 - 72.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Toxapex Scald vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Marowak-Alola: 96-114 (36.5 - 43.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 8 HP / 248 SpD Marowak-Alola: 180-214 (68.4 - 81.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
EDIT: Move change: On Marcelloc2's suggestion, Bonemerang was changed for EQ. As coverage it doesn't see much use anyway, and the added accuracy is much more worth while than its Sub busting power (which never in practice works against common users like Buzzwole and Zygarde) and the Sash busting power (which extremely rarely sees use against Dugtrio, but that's about it).

Replays: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498484797 - A showcase of Magearna and Marowak working as a core, where he tanks a resisted fire hit on the switch.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498474543 - Magearna being ready for the inevitable Lando switch into Marowak, giving me momentum

Buzzwole

Buzzwole @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Role: Physically fat tank, Lando resist

Description: With A-Marowak, Magearna and Uxie it was very obvious I had some issues with Lando-T, so I wanted something that resisted U-turn/Knock Off/Earthquake. Buzzwole is a perfect fit, and if I predict switches well enough it can OHKO a lot of the tier. Expert Belt may seem life a weird item, but with Buzzwole's huge defensive bulk it's a shame to let him be ground down by recoil and it hits near as hard as LO.

Hammer Arm is the obligatory STAB, hitting steels like a truck and unlike Super Power not dinting your defences. Ice Punch hits both Lando and Garchomp hard, as well as dragons like the Lati twins and flying types like Mega Pinsir (who can't OHKO you with Aerialate Quick Attack). Thunder Punch is preferred over EQ to hit Toxapex, Celesteela and Skarmory for hard damage - with Celesteela being particularly troubling for the team. Poison Jab nails all non-Steel Fairy switches incredibly hard, often for the OHKO. Beyond this, if you KO anything, the Beast Boost makes you even more of a threat. Buzzwole under TR is not a mon to be underestimated.

Calcs:
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 432-509 (153.7 - 181.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele: 307-362 (109.2 - 128.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 278-329 (98.9 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 248+ Def Tapu Fini: 161-190 (46.9 - 55.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 350-418 (91.8 - 109.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 305-360 (86.6 - 102.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Landorus-Therian: 240-283 (62.9 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Expert Belt Buzzwole Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 194-230 (58 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Buzzwole: 292-348 (70 - 83.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498490344 - Early game Buzzwole domination

Tapu Lele

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 3 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Role: Stall-breaker, general powerhouse

Description: It's a complete misnomer that everything on a TR team needs to be horribly slow, if it was how would you ever deal with stall who is slow already? In comes Lele, ready to break some stall and hopefully allow the rest of the team to finish the job. The IVs are to outspeed speed-creeping base 70s by a single point, which I think is more or less the benchmark for stall.

CM allows me to easily get through Chansey at the +1 with Psyshock, and is a very easy move to pull off in the face of M-Sableye. I like Z-Focus Blast as it completely removes the risk in Focus Blast usage, as now it will definitely hit, and it can hit Celesteela hard on the switch who is problematic for the team - plus no one can hit you hard with Knock Off. Moonblast rounds it all off, giving me an additional STAB that is fearsome at the +1 boost.

Honestly being somewhat fast is of use, as it you allow a slower mon to sack one of yours you have an instant vehicle for revenge and plus with Lele's power nothing fast can comfortably switch it. If Lele gets banned, I guess another strong Psychic type may do the job - maybe Mew, who knows? If Lele is banned, probably this team will need to pack priority anyway, so it would need a little re-jigging.

Calcs:
252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 303-357 (90.7 - 106.8%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 366-432 (120.3 - 142.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 429-505 (66.8 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 348-410 (54.2 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Toxapex: 300-354 (99 - 116.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Tapu Lele All-Out Pummeling vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 243-286 (61.2 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499298721 - Lele munching on stall high ladder. The game only lasts 4 turns, but hey that's stall players for you when they misplay. Ironically, his Bulu could have caused me some real issues, but he never stuck around to find out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And there we have it! Below are the importable, proof of peak, and a few more replays. I haven't gone into the calcs with everything or the threat list (Celesteela, Sub users, Protect users, etc.), but if you're curious about the specific threats let me know. I'll try and ladder a bit higher, but if I don't succeed I'll wait and then give a similar team a try mid-gen.

Uxie @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Memento

Magearna @ Air Balloon
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Claw
- Curse
- Destiny Bond

Buzzwole @ Expert Belt
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab

Tapu Lele @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 3 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-499318989 - High ladder vs rain
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-498768464 - The match that got me 1600+. It's a good team showcase as everyone get's used, the opponent is a complete sour grapes arse-face who starts shit-talking to a spectator when I catch him off-guard. I'd say a couple of misplays both sides, but nothing major.

Try the team out, give suggestions and have fun - let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Why no Leech Life on Buzzwole? Is that coverage really that superior?
I do think so yes, Bug isn't exactly great offensive typing. I did consider Z-Bulk Up on Buzzwole at one point, in which case I probably would use Leech Life, but I found the fact you can only use the setup once a bit of a deterrent. On the other hand, +1 Def would take Buzzwole's defensive bulk to a whole extra level - quite capable of surviving after TR goes down particularly with a draining move like Leech Life, so long as there aren't too many special hits you need to tank.

As mentioned, I'll probably rehash this team mid-gen, but otherwise Lele is just too good with the Z-move IMO. I think if Lele is banned the team will need to change a lot (as will the whole meta) as priority will again be something to look out for. Hoopa-U also fares well against stall, but opens the team more up to Lando (with his U-turn) so it's not near as good as Lele. I'm hoping Sablenite will also get a re-ban, in which case the stall nightmare is somewhat over, but we'll have to wait and see.

Overall I like this team but I do have to question how you handle threats like mega scizor or opposing Alolawak. Or really anything that can take advantage of a lack of ghost and dark resists since almost nothing on this team wants to take on knock offs or any ghost/dark stab. I think you've stacked to many weaknesses on one team and I'd personally look into swapping mimikyu out for something else. Ya it is a guaranteed TR setup but it doesn't seem to pull much weight outside of that.

Either that or swap Alolawak out for another Fire type that doesnt fear knock off from mega scizor because right now alolawak is your closest check but it is crippled if scizor carries knock off. I think wallbreaker Emboar could be a GREAT fit for this team.

Overall I like this team but I do have to question how you handle threats like mega scizor or opposing Alolawak. Or really anything that can take advantage of a lack of ghost and dark resists since almost nothing on this team wants to take on knock offs or any ghost/dark stab. I think you've stacked to many weaknesses on one team and I'd personally look into swapping mimikyu out for something else. Ya it is a guaranteed TR setup but it doesn't seem to pull much weight outside of that.

Either that or swap Alolawak out for another Fire type that doesnt fear knock off from mega scizor because right now alolawak is your closest check but it is crippled if scizor carries knock off. I think wallbreaker Emboar could be a GREAT fit for this team.
Under Trick Room my Marowak threatens opposing Marowak and Scizor just fine, and Lele shuts down Scizors access to Bullet Punch which it is near useless without (it takes a mental case to leave Scizor in against a Marowak) plus damages it heavily with Z-Focus Blast. Outside of TR Mimikyu can KO Marowak who is slower, and it can set TR in Scizor's face.

Scizor is definitely a threat and a weakness to the team, but it's also manageable. Introducing Emboar would add another Ground weakness which is much more of a problem currently. If you really wanted to handle it better, using HP Fire on Magearna would be the best solution, but currently I don't think it's necessary as usage isn't that high with other Leles running around.

Of all the members on the team, I'd be least likely to swap Mimikyu. It really is a very powerful annoyer set, and often manages a couple of KOes a match (through a revenge Shadow Claw, followed by a D-Bond, etc.) or it places momentum squarely in my hands by fainting with Curse (after rocks and one hit, it is consistently under 50% so it can faint itself and ensure a free switch). It gives me a fool-proof strategy that I can always exploit as some point, which makes setting up a win-con all the easier.

Last edited:
Hi!

Nice team!
I myself am using Magearna+Marowak TR in prebank.
With so many ultrabeasts and crazy high speed going on, with tapu koko, scarf lele and pheromosa, v.g., trick room becomes a huge advantage v. most of the teams.
I suggest 2 changes:
a) you might want to consider Lightning Rod > Rock Head on Marowak to stop volt-turn cores. Otherwise, the opponent can freely voltswitch into a reliable counter, wasting precious trick room turns. Sure, flare blitz will have recoil, but, if you bring Marowak in a choised mon with a electric move (or even not choised, like tapu koko), you will get a free kill most of the times. Also, Lightning Rod prevents Twaving, which, as I'm sure you know, is a thing, even though they nerfed Twave and even though you are TR.
b) running Thunderbolt > Aura Sphere can allow Magearna to sweep more easily. It allows Magearna to hit Skarmory, Celesteela and Toxapex. Both moves are for coverage. You lose the fighting coverage, but you already hit dark types hard anyways and Marowak can destroy other steel types such as Ferrothorn and Magnezone (specially the ladder, which Marowak counters reliably).

Tl;dr:

Lightning Rod > Rock Head

Thunderbolt > Aura Sphere

I believe those changes will definitely make the team better.

I could also suggest, but those are my personal preferences, running Hidden Power Fire > Calm Mind on Tapu Lele, since that thing destroys stuff anyways. I do not think a turn calm minding up would be that helpful, since, with a little prior damage, Lele can 2hko chansey with psyshock.
Earthquake > Bonemerang is also something I prefer. You yourself have said you have never breaked subs/sashes anyways, so you might wanna try that 100% accuracy. Honestly, it is pretty much the same.
Lastly, I decided to go Thunderbolt > Focus Blast on Tapu Lele, Mind Plate > Fightnium Z and put that Z move on Buzzwole (whichever works better, I like the Electrium Z). Looks like a lot of Electric spam, yes, and there is no real justification for those changes other than personal preference, but you might wanna try them out and see if they improve the team in the meta.

tl;dr:

Hidden Power Fire > Calm Mind
Thunderbolt > Focus Blast
Mind Plate > Fightnium Z

Electrium Z > Expert Belt

Earthquake > Bonemerang

Keep up the great Job!

Last edited:
Hi!

Nice team!
I myself am using Magearna+Marowak TR in prebank.
With so many ultrabeasts and crazy high speed going on, with tapu koko, scarf lele and pheromosa, v.g., trick room becomes a huge advantage v. most of the teams.
I suggest 2 changes:
a) you might want to consider Lightning Rod > Rock Head on Marowak to stop volt-turn cores. Otherwise, the opponent can freely voltswitch into a reliable counter, wasting precious trick room turns. Sure, flare blitz will have recoil, but, if you bring Marowak in a choised mon with a electric move (or even not choised, like tapu koko), you will get a free kill most of the times. Also, Lightning Rod prevents Twaving, which, as I'm sure you know, is a thing, even though they nerfed Twave and even though you are TR.
b) running Thunderbolt > Aura Sphere can allow Magearna to sweep more easily. It allows Magearna to hit Skarmory, Celesteela and Toxapex. Both moves are for coverage. You lose the fighting coverage, but you already hit dark types hard anyways and Marowak can destroy other steel types such as Ferrothorn and Magnezone (specially the ladder, which Marowak counters reliably).

Tl;dr:

Lightning Rod > Rock Head

Thunderbolt > Aura Sphere

I believe those changes will definitely make the team better.

I could also suggest, but those are my personal preferences, running Hidden Power Fire > Calm Mind on Tapu Lele, since that thing destroys stuff anyways. I do not think a turn calm minding up would be that helpful, since, with a little prior damage, Lele can 2hko chansey with psyshock.
Earthquake > Bonemerang is also something I prefer. You yourself have said you have never breaked subs/sashes anyways, so you might wanna try that 100% accuracy. Honestly, it is pretty much the same.
Lastly, I decided to go Thunderbolt > Focus Blast on Tapu Lele, Mind Plate > Fightnium Z and put that Z move on Buzzwole (whichever works better, I like the Electrium Z). Looks like a lot of Electric spam, yes, and there is no real justification for those changes other than personal preference, but you might wanna try them out and see if they improve the team in the meta.

tl;dr:

Hidden Power Fire > Calm Mind
Thunderbolt > Focus Blast
Mind Plate > Fightnium Z

Electrium Z > Expert Belt

Earthquake > Bonemerang

Keep up the great Job!
Thanks for the advice Marcelloc2!

I think I'll stick with Rock Head, maintaining HP seems to be more important to me than halting Volt Switch, particularly as not a lot of these pokemon are easy to counter anyway regardless of what people Volt Switch in. Additionally, as I don't have SR removal, having recoil would often make the difference between Marowak coming out multiple times in a match and not coming out at all.

For Thunderbolt on Magearna, that's a great idea! Celesteela and Toxapex are a trouble to this team, and to be honest I don't use Aura Sphere all that often. Plus, bulky waters like Fini are also a common switch into Magearna and it'll help with them too.

For the Lele changes, I think the ability to handle a lot of stall self sufficiently is more important than better coverage, and M-Sab doesn't really allow rocks to be set so it's definitely easier if you can boost your SpAtk. I also like Z-Focus Blast for the high base damage and that it's pretty easy to spam without suffering for it, so while T-Bolt will hit some things harder Z-Focus Blast is a better neutral coverage move.

For Electrium-Z on Buzzwole, I like the idea but I think giving up on E-Belt would mean I can't net as many OHKOes, paritcularly on some of the Tapus who are common switch-ins. I'll stick with E-Belt for the time being.

For Earthquake over Bonemerang, I like it. It's not coverage that sees much use in the first place, but I think the added reliability is probably worth it over the damage drop from Grassy Terrain. Even though theoretically it can deal with subs, as the two main sub users are Buzzwole and Zygarde and it's not good at hitting either of them hard, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll make the change.

Thanks for the tips and good luck with your own teams. I'll update the original post with Aura Sphere -> TBolt and Bonemerang -> EQ (as well as correcting a lot of grammar and spelling mistakes, god I rushed the first post out).

Last edited:
On Buzzwhole, I highly recommend you consider Bug Gem Fell Stinger. When played later when things are weakened with some hazards, you can nail something with coverage or bluff a band with Hammer Arm, and then finish with a souped up Fell Stinger which, on top of Beast Boost, will leave you with an absurd +4 in Atk. There will be nothing you can't smash through after that.

BTW, phenomenal team building.

On Buzzwhole, I highly recommend you consider Bug Gem Fell Stinger. When played later when things are weakened with some hazards, you can nail something with coverage or bluff a band with Hammer Arm, and then finish with a souped up Fell Stinger which, on top of Beast Boost, will leave you with an absurd +4 in Atk. There will be nothing you can't smash through after that.

Thanks man! On the whole Fell Stinger thing, honestly it's usually easier to play Buzzwole early, (a) because a lot of people lead with Lando-Ts still, who Buzzwole can happily switch in on and (b) because he's a fairly risk free means to see how my opponent handles switching, how aggressive they are with it, and (c) unless there's a fire type coming out, Magearna makes for a good follow up to a number of Buzzwole's weaknesses (Psychic, Fairy, Flying) so I've immediately got a game plan from using Buzzwole in this way.

He's the easiest mon on the team to use early, particularly given Lele's speed is too high to outspeed a lot of slow mons (Ferrothorn mainly, who Buzzwole doesn't fear) and so setting him up with a cleaning item doesn't gel well with those early plays. As I mentioned, I think Z-Bulk Up would be fun on him, but I think it would be much more tricky to work out appropriate coverage in just 3 moves, and there definitely would be some blindspots.

I love this team! I made a subtle change ,though. I think Uxie is a great utility mon, having multiple roles in the team but it is easily pressured,due to no having recovery. Cresselia is bulkier, slower, guarantees trick room setup, can recover via moonlight, and give buzzy (and the other mons, too) a second chance to sweep under trick room, via Lunar Dance. Losing stealth rock sucks, but Marowak forces switches, and can set up some rocks for it.

Thanks! I always hate sashes and Sturdy too much to go without rocks, and I think Uxie is still the best at setting them, but Cresselia is obviously a bulky mofo and a Trick Room classic. If you get good results with it post some replays up.

i don't think you can get any gems in sun & moon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)