ORAS PU The Twin Dragons

>The Twin Dragons<

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction
Here is an offensive team I built around the dual dragons core. Zweilous breaks everything, Fraxure sets up and sweeps, Probopass traps things, Zeb and Leaefeon are my water checks and Mime is the cleric/scarfer.
Teambuilding Process

I started the team with these two mons because Dragon is an amazing type offensively, which is even better in PU due to the overall lack of faries and steels compared to the upper tiers

Probopass was added in because of how well it goes with the two dragons. It traps other steel types, helps deal with Clefairy, sets up rocks, and thanks to it being a slow Volt Turner you can use it to safely bring Zwei in.

Scarf Mime was added as my revenge killer as it finished the Fairy-Dragon-Steel core and takes pressure off keeping Probopass healthy since you can use Healing Wish so it can pivot the entire game.

Next member was Zebstrika as the team needed a Floatzel check, it forms a Volt Switch core with Probopass, and brings the overall speed of the team up.

Yache Leafeon was added as my 2nd water check. It gets Knock Of which is helpful vs eviolite users, and hits pretty hard

The Team

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Head Smash

The first of the dragons on this team. Zweilous hits extremely hard, to the point where Mawile is the only safe switch in because everything else gets 2hko'd Crunch and Outrage are obvious choices because of STAB, Superpower hits Probo, and Head Smash while very inaccurate can OHKO spdef Clef and 2hkos Physdef Clef.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Low Kick
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

The second member of the team and honestly my favorite. Fraxure serves as a setup sweeper. Ideally you only need to click Outrage after setting up, but Low kick is there for coverage and POison Jab helps you deal with Clefairy

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Probopass is condensing about 3 jobs into one. It's the teams only real normal check, the only hazard setter, and we need it to trap steels. It's a fairly standard set except I put 4 more speed evs into it than they normally run to outspeed other Probo.

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Scarfed Mime is othe revenge I chose for this team as it checks Monferno, and Healing Wish is just so good for this team. A lot of pressure gets put on Probopass since it has so many jobs to do, and it can allow Fraxure to set up multiple times in a game

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I shoved Zeb in here because waters are scary for this team, thanks to Lightningrod Volt Switch isnt as spammable, Overheat kills Mawile, and it brings up the teams speed tier. It forms a nice Volt Switching core with Probo.

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Swords Dance

I added Leafeon as a 2nd water check, and a 2nd setup sweeper. The set is pretty standard and there isnt much to explain. It beats Clefairy 1v1

Zweilous @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Head Smash

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Low Kick
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Double-Edge
- Swords Dance

Hey HoennZach! Neat team you have here, I usually don't see dragonspam and I like the route you took with it. With that said, I see a pretty big weakness to a lot of common offensive mons, such as Monferno, Cacturne, and Ninjask. Physical Cacturne in particular is scary because it can do a ton of damage with Drain Punch+Sucker Punch, and if it manages to get a Swords Dance off the game is basically over. To solve this, I would recommend adding Sub DD Altaria over Fraxure. Altaria checks all of those threats well and manages to counter some of them while still acting as a good wincon. It is hardwalled by fairies and steels; however, the team is structured to handle most of those with Probopass trapping steels and Probo, Leafeon, and Zweilous all pressuring Clefairy. However, if Clef is an issue due to a lot of full paras on Leafeon or something, you can add Snatch over Thunderbolt on Zebstrika. This gives you another way to shut down clef by stealing its Soft-Boiled, Calm Mind, Stealth Rock, or Thunder Wave, any one of which can be beneficial and also prevent the clef from doing anything but attack. Losing Thunderbolt can hurt, but it doesn't stop Zebby from revenging offensive water-types, and you have Probopass for the bulkier flying-types (like Articuno.) This change is less necessary than the Altaria, so you don't really have to make it if you prefer Thunderbolt.

tl;dr:
->
, Thunderbolt->Snatch

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Spd / 192 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Grass
- Snatch

Hey I met you today on SD :D
(I was the one with CB Bouffalant and AgiliPass Ariados lol)

Anyway, nice team structure: I really appreciated the Healing Wish from Mr.Mime on the <10% burned Fraxure, that was a very cool move ;)
Actually, non-Sturdy AND non-Shuca/Chople/Air Balloon Probopass is a huge "what?": any Ground/Fighting (in particular EQs) can be problematic: also, I see this two things:

1) in PU there are 6 Steel-types (excluding "pure" LCs like Magnemite or Klink), which are: Klang, Probopass, Mawile, Wormadam-Trash, Pawniard, and Metang. I think that a Steel-trapper isn't all that necessary;

2) Even thought Probopass is good with SpA (your Volt Switch took a ton from my "Don't-remember-who", but was like 80%), it just lacks the Spe to do things, and in all honesty its SpA is yeah and meh at the same time: Klang/Pawniard/Metang can hold Eviolite, while Wormadam-Trash is neutral thanks to its Bug-type.
Mawile is "faster" and can OHKO your Probo if it has EQ (dunno if it is common, I started PU a few time ago), while opposing Probo can either carry Shuca/have Sturdy, or pivot out with Volt Switch.

I suggest you to run at least Shuca Berry > Lefties, or Chople if you find out that a surprise Fighting coverage may be annoying.

Finally, I can't say much more about the whole team, since I got in a bad situation against it: probably all this Dragonspam is redundant, but if it fits your style it's okay.

Good luck, and hope to meet you again :)

EnemyJurist Awesome to see you liked the team and the Altaria change you made seems like it will fit perfectly to help alleviatd the issues its been having in my testing. I think Im going to stay with Thunderbolt Zeb for now since Clefairy, even though its extremely threatening to the main core of the team, is already pressured pretty hard by half the team.

Der _Dusky ツ Hey good to see you again man! I see why you say I should be running Air Balloon/Chople/Shuca on Probo, but it needs Lefties because it needs that passive recovery or else it will get worn down too fast, requiring me to use Healing Wish far earlier than I should.

5/6 of the steel types you listed are all viable and all except Klang and Wormadam are quite common, so Steel Trappers are good. This team NEEDS a steel trapper because all those steels resist my dragons' main STAB move, and it can also pressure Clefairy as I said before. Even though Probopass doesnt have a lot of SpAtk, its enough to get it's job done, and it doesnt need speed to do its job as its a bulky pivot. Mawile doesnt get Earthquake so coming on on Maw almost always guarantees its dead.

Der _Dusky ツ Hey good to see you again man! I see why you say I should be running Air Balloon/Chople/Shuca on Probo, but it needs Lefties because it needs that passive recovery or else it will get worn down too fast, requiring me to use Healing Wish far earlier than I should.

5/6 of the steel types you listed are all viable and all except Klang and Wormadam are quite common, so Steel Trappers are good. This team NEEDS a steel trapper because all those steels resist my dragons' main STAB move, and it can also pressure Clefairy as I said before. Even though Probopass doesnt have a lot of SpAtk, its enough to get it's job done, and it doesnt need speed to do its job as its a bulky pivot. Mawile doesnt get Earthquake so coming on on Maw almost always guarantees its dead.
Mh actually no: looking at your team and excluding Probo for a sec, I see:

-Overheat on Zebstrika
-Superpower/Low Kick on the Dragons
-Focus Miss Focus Blast on Mr.Mime

So if you are scared by Steel-type, you can sleep quietly, as you have enough coverage for them, there's no need to trap and execute them :)

Now, to the second point: Lefties.
I understand that Probo has a hard time living in this tier since it's dragging around its big nose and the flying mininoses its 4x weaknesses to Ground and Fighting, and has no real recovery outside of Lefties: however, without one of Sturdy, Air Balloon, Chople Berry, or Shuca Berry, its lifespan is miserable.
As you see, my [Choice Band] Bouffalant steamrolled it with EQ, a thing that could be avoided by using Shuca Berry:

252 Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Probopass: 424-500 (131-154%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Bouffalant Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Shuca Berry Probopass: 212-250 (65-77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So, Shuca was just to take hits better from things Probo is weak to, as I can see many ways to take out Steel-types beside trapping them: however, this is up to you; if you find that a small recovery is somewhat more useful than taking huge damage from a supereffective move, I respect your opinion :)

Hope you make a good climb in the ladder ^^

I would second using air balloon on magnet pull probo, otherwise metang wins 1v1. I wouldnt recommend using shuca because golem eq still does a fuck ton, better to just ignore the attack entirely. You just have to be more careful with probo and save it against steels or powerful normals.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey I met you today on SD :D
(I was the one with CB Bouffalant and AgiliPass Ariados lol)

1) in PU there are 6 Steel-types (excluding "pure" LCs like Magnemite or Klink), which are: Klang, Probopass, Mawile, Wormadam-Trash, Pawniard, and Metang. I think that a Steel-trapper isn't all that necessary;

2) Even thought Probopass is good with SpA (your Volt Switch took a ton from my "Don't-remember-who", but was like 80%), it just lacks the Spe to do things, and in all honesty its SpA is yeah and meh at the same time: Klang/Pawniard/Metang can hold Eviolite, while Wormadam-Trash is neutral thanks to its Bug-type.
Mawile is "faster" and can OHKO your Probo if it has EQ (dunno if it is common, I started PU a few time ago), while opposing Probo can either carry Shuca/have Sturdy, or pivot out with Volt Switch.
Just noting Mawile doesn't get EQ, and rarely uses Fighting moves (though it threatens/annoys his whole team without Probopass funnily enough). Low Speed is beneficial for a slow Volt Switch pivot into a teammate (say Fraxure or Leafeon). It still needs to have investment to actually damage opposing Steels, even with Air Balloon or Shuca (ugh, needs investment to 3hko RestTalk Klang). Plus, even if Steels are rare (not that true, stuff such as Mawile, Pawn, and Metang are still PU by usage after all), his whole team would have trouble getting past them without having Probopass; It's not like you can expect people to simply stay in and tank a Overheat or a scary (80% accurate) Superpower.

WhiteDMist is right

also you can run offensive altaria if you want with 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe, adamant, with a yache berry and eq>sub, should help against steels and still checks mons like monferno and cacturne

let me know how the team's doing if you ever see me on showdown! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)