Gen 3 The ultimate tank

I have literally sweeped whole teams with this. If your opponent doesn't have a good counter, they can get blown away. Here's what it is.

Dusclops (+Def, -Atk)
Leftovers
252 HP, 128 DEF, 128 Sp Def

Rest
Curse
Toxic
Mean Look

This has really annoyed the heck out of my opponents. First mean look, then curse, and toxic while resting accordingly. Works on pretty much everything that does not have substitute.

And you posted a whole thread with your first post just to suggest a ToxicTrapping set for Dusclops that is walled by any Tauntritar or Tauntridos? Heracross (or any Guts Pokemon) laugh at this set too.
Also that isn't a tank. It's a wall.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
And by the time the opponent figures out you have Toxic instead of Will-O-Wisp, Skarmory runs the game. Metagross runs the game. You also hold to the fact that there are too many Pokemon in OU running Substitute to not at least have one of Seismic Toss, Night Shade or Shadow Ball.

You guys have obviously forgotten how Curse works for Ghost types. Since both of you failed to make any comments on it at all and neglected the fact that it still works on Steel types even if Toxic doesn't. And "The Defiler" did say it had its counters.

That said, it's still one of those things that "looks good on paper", but doesn't really work during actual play. At least not against any decent players who have the sense to realise the possibility of Dusclopes still carrying Mean Look, thus almost always sending in a Phazer, Subber or Taunter, among others, to counter it. Which are each far too common.

But it is still good to see people trying to be innovative and creating sets, strategies and new ways to do things this late in the generation. There are of course many occations when I could see this set indeed working. And being extremely frustrating to lose even one single pokemon to. Especially for self proclaimed "seasoned players" who have been caught off gaurd and beaten by a seemingly dated set, hehehe.

Good stuff!!

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
That's a wonderful assumption of yours to think that we don't know how Curse works for ghost types. We've never neglected that fact. We simply stated why it won't work often in standard play. Proclaiming to be the "ultimate tank" also serves to satisfy our distaste for it.

And yes it is good to see innovative sets late in the gen, but it's better to see those that actually work in competitive play, like the stuff I pull out of my ass every other week, or at least when someone came up with the thought of using Focus Punch on a stalk Hercross set to get 50% chance of Megahorn while sleeping.

Somehow, cutting Dusclops' retarded HP in half and assuming two more turns of set-up when he is already slower than Snorlax while the opponent will usually go to something that threatens Dusclops right away does not seem like a bright idea to me.

How much HP do opposing Pokemon lose during Curse? Also what's a Stalk Pokemon? For the set, I can see where it could work, especially on Milotic, who gets high Def/Sp.Def from status. It won't be able to keep Recovering and/or Resting enough to be able to stay alive. Still it would seem a lot better with Seismic Toss/Night Shade to help beat things faster. Also being Taunted, like Thorns said, will force a switch unless it can Toss/Shade them. This set could be great for some Pokes if it's counters are taken care of. Everything has a counter. Just naming a few and saying the set sucks is basically saying every single Pokemon sucks. Not everything has Taunt, and those Taunters can be countered. Not with this set of a Dusclops. The original poster just named one Pokemon in a team, so keep that in mind. Still I would rather use Wisp, like Aero says. There are quite a few common Steel Types: Metagross, Skarmory, Forretress and Scizor. Scizor, I haven't seen much of. Will-o-Wisp still is great for those Slaking. Just switch into a Return/Body Slam and Wisp it(if it doesn't switch). Also the Dusclops IMO should have (+Sp.Def / -Att) Nature since Normal / Fighting will not hit it. Gives more things it can go against.

That's a wonderful assumption of yours to think that we don't know how Curse works for ghost types. We've never neglected that fact. We simply stated why it won't work often in standard play.
I've read multiple times through your post , but strangely enough, I cannot find any statement of why curse doesnt work in Standard Play.
You only said that toxic did nt work on steels. Like we all didn't know that right?

I think my post was pretty clear on why Ghost-Curse was not a good idea.

How much HP do opposing Pokemon lose during Curse? Also what's a Stalk Pokemon? For the set, I can see where it could work, especially on Milotic, who gets high Def/Sp.Def from status. It won't be able to keep Recovering and/or Resting enough to be able to stay alive.
Toxic alone kills Milotic if it stays in. If it switches out, Toxic stays, Curse does not. Curse's risk here >>>>>> Curse's payoff

Still it would seem a lot better with Seismic Toss/Night Shade to help beat things faster. Also being Taunted, like Thorns said, will force a switch unless it can Toss/Shade them.
I agree that it needs some kind of attacking move, but Taunt isn't what I'd be most afraid of - because if you're being Taunted it is either Tyranitar or Gyarados doing so, both of which kick Dusclops' butt quick enough even if you have a damaging move.

This set could be great for some Pokes if it's counters are taken care of. Everything has a counter. Just naming a few and saying the set sucks is basically saying every single Pokemon sucks.
However, you cannot disagree when I say that having a bunchload of counters is worse than having less counters, which in turn is worse than not having counters at all. There are indeed Pokemon that cannot be countered by definition because they have the ability to hit everything hard (some Choice Banders). And this Dusclops has a bunch of counters, not just Taunters. I could name them, but you would be saying "hm you are just naming counters I told you that's not good", I could compare them to other Pokemon's amount of counters, but I'd love to hear your definition of a good Pokemon first.

Not everything has Taunt, and those Taunters can be countered. Not with this set of a Dusclops.
Actually, the problem is anything that doesn't mind being Toxiced outright that can do >50% damage to Dusclops within two turns.

The original poster just named one Pokemon in a team, so keep that in mind. Still I would rather use Wisp, like Aero says. There are quite a few common Steel Types: Metagross, Skarmory, Forretress and Scizor. Scizor, I haven't seen much of. Will-o-Wisp still is great for those Slaking. Just switch into a Return/Body Slam and Wisp it(if it doesn't switch).
The only reason Slaking would not switch out is if it's being controled by an incompetent player, because it cannot do anything - it is locked into that unaffecting move. Unless it is not Choice Banded, in which case it is a failure as well, except this time it failed before the battle started.

Also the Dusclops IMO should have (+Sp.Def / -Att) Nature since Normal / Fighting will not hit it. Gives more things it can go against.
Actually, that is arguable. I like my Dusclops to be able to switch into physical moves it is not practically immune to.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
I've read multiple times through your post , but strangely enough, I cannot find any statement of why curse doesnt work in Standard Play.
You only said that toxic did nt work on steels. Like we all didn't know that right?
And by the time the opponent figures out you have Toxic instead of Will-O-Wisp, Skarmory runs the game. Metagross runs the game. You also hold to the fact that there are too many Pokemon in OU running Substitute to not at least have one of Seismic Toss, Night Shade or Shadow Ball.
I never tried to explain why Ghost-type Curse doesn't work in standard play. Fortunately, Mekkah did. I also did not use steel-type's poison immunity as a base for my argument. I simply implied that now that Dusclops is using Toxic, is harder for it to cripple things with status, since more things resist Toxic than Will-O-Wisp. I also implied, that due to this fact, Metagross isn't even hindered in its onslaught, which it might have been if Dusclops had been able to use WoW.

After reading those, I now agree. Using Curse Trap seems scarier now that I heard all of those reasons. I never used NetBattle yet and most of my friends here who I battle with a bit never switch out of anything, which is retarded. Probably the main reason they never win against anyone. I have a new question: Is there any good trappers that use Mean Look? I wanted to try a Crobat Mean Look in my team. Probably would get switches before I get it in though.

Tyrano

The best two Mean Lookers are probably Umbreon or Gengar, in my opinion. Umbreon has the defenses, gets Wish, and can pass that Wish to a team mate and set up. If you ever see a Mean Looking Gengar, expect Perish Song with it. Crobat is better off as a pure sweeper,probably a choice bander. If not that then an annoyer.

The problem is that it does not have a move that gratifies with instant recovery. Rest is to risky because of its shitty Hp. This would probably not work on any Ghost simply because they are all to frail. Perhaps if your had something Baton Pass it speed or Def./SDef. so that it could stick around longer, it would work, but the chances of it actually working are slim.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)