The Wishiwashi offensive! Gen 7 VGC Team idea! Please help critic!

Reserve options! Vote on which one you think is best!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that many people have thrown wishiwashi out the window for its horrendous base speed and its loss of stats at 25% health. However, I really think Wishiwashi has a place competitively and especially in doubles. Wishiwashi with rain boosted surf and instruct from oranguru should normally result in a cleaned out floor by the end of that turn and I think that's where Wishiwashi has a chance, I haven't created the sets for these pokemon yet but I'd like to hear some opinions on how well you think the pokemon I have for this team could work for VGC. I'll list the pokemon and their potential roles.

Toxapex- A good pokemon in general, it will serve the role of tentacruel but better with its ludicrously high defensive stats it will perform as a support/tank being capable of taking a number of hits and that regenerator ability will serve nicely. Moves like Toxic spikes, Baneful bunker, and recover would work really well.

Pelliper- I'm really glad pelliper got the buffs it needed in gen 7 cause now I get to see this derpy looking fuck a lot more! His new ability drizzle gives him a 100% accuracy with hurricane a very strong flying type move and to go on top of that his Special attack stat got boosted to a very respectable 95 base stat, which unlike politoad, makes pelliper useful. Pelliper does have the downside of a 4x weakness to electricity but I fell like drizzle and hurricane make more than up for it. Pelliper gots a solid movepool including roost, protect, and tail wind to go on top of hurricane as well.

Wishiwashi- The main man of the team.The team is looking rather weak to electric types but I plan to fix that with my reserves. Wishiwashi is probably going to be the most controversial member of the team. Wishiwashi Schooling form has some ridiculously high base stat totals including 130-140s from attack to special defense. Now it does have really low health and speed which is why everyone is putting it down but I can't look past the potential in those other 4 stats. Wishiwashi will serve as an offensive tank and even has a way to regenerate health with rest talk (I know rest talk died in gen 4 but it could work now with the metagame slowing down). Now overall the gen 7 metagame is going to really slow down with a lot of the new rules and overall new pokemon being a lot slower so I don't think wishiwashi's speed is going to be that big of a problem. I think a wishiwashi set could be rest talk with earthquake and surf.

Oranguru- The monkey with a plan. Oranguru will probably be really common in VGC and any doubles format to be honest. This is because of one move and one move only, instruct. Instruct plus telepathy will allow for two earthquakes or stab rain boosted surfs from wishiwashi a turn and this should end up with the other team not looking too well at the end of the turn. Oranguru also has some other nice moves to help support wishiwashi such as Trick room, Quash, Taunt, and after you just to name a few moves and those aren't even it's TMs. Personally I don't intend on giving oranguru much for offense since it really doesn't have much.

RESERVES

I'm still in debate over which pokemon are going to be in my reserves but here are the pokemon I have competing for a sport

Smeargle- Smeargle would make for a good lead as it can boost a stat like special defense or speed and then baton pass to wishiwashi.

Kommo-o - Kommo-o has a really good stat distribution and could switch with Wishiwashi to change things up for a team that seems prepared to take on wishiwashi. Kommo-o has high stats all over the board except speed which is a decent 85 base. Kommo-o has access to some great moves like like clanging scales and outrage to attack and dragon dance to boost its stats and it can take more than a hit from anything except fairy moves. Kommo-o has some great move coverage too with flash cannon (to deal with fairy types) and many fighting type moves.

Tapu KoKo- Tapu KoKo can really take advantage of pelliper's drizzle gaining a 100% accuracy boosted thunder and it gains the benefits of electric terrain making for a ridiculous boosted thunder. Tapu Koko Also has electro ball with his speed and the electric terrain boost and it will do excessive damage. Tapu Koko also has access to agility further boosting electro ball. Tapu Koko definitely has a spot on this team in my opinion.

Please give me your opinions and critic my team and I'm more than open to set ideas, other team options, or other game plans for wishiwashi.

Dhelmise could work for some electric coverage, choice banded set puts in work. Also snorlax could help if a trick room team is what you're looking for

Dhelmise also will deal with fairys, he basically has 3 stab moves. Dhelmise could work and choice band will work well with trick room too. I dunno bout snorlax tho, Toxapex will fill the defensive role will it's tankyness and it may be overall more useful. Snorlax is definitely in consideration for reserves though to switch things up.

I also just realized Alolan Marowak with lighting rod could really put in work for this team. Alolan Marowak can nullify the electricity weakness of the team and potentially receive a stat boost (although it is a rather worthless one since I would run a thick club set). I also think it is a viable part for this team and I already have a set idea for it. Also I'm going to be entering testing on smogon with a few options for this team but I'm still more than open for suggestions.

Assuming you're still open for suggestions, I have a few ideas for this team. The number one change I would make is not using Toxapex - it does have fantastic bulk, but it's threatened by several common attackers in the format and it's so passive that your opponent can often safely ignore it. I would recommend these sets for the core three:

Wishiwashi-School @ Figy Berry
Ability: Schooling
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect
- Surf/Muddy Water/other(?)

Scald and Ice beam are necessary as reliable STAB + coverage; Protect is Protect; the last slot is somewhat flexible. Surf is solid with Oranguru but you can't really surf alongside any other members of the team; Muddy Water doesn't hit your partner but is less accurate; you could run something like Endeavor or Helping Hand so Wishiwashi isn't dead weight if it gets knocked out of school form.

Oranguru @ Mental Herb
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Instruct
- Trick Room
- Foul Play
- Protect

Pretty standard Oranguru.

Pelipper @ Focus Sash
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Protect

Scald, Hurricane, and Protect are all self-explanatory. Having Tailwind as a second speed control option is extremely powerful and gives you an alternate gameplan against teams that handle Oranguru well. I personally like Sash Pelipper because plenty of attackers can OHKO it even if it runs heavy bulk.

To round out the team, I would strongly recommend Alolan Marowak, Celesteela, and Tapu Bulu / Tapu Koko. Marowak handles grass and electric threats fairly well, and it can operate under either TR or Tailwind.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Atk / 68 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Moves are standard. Spread lives a Modest Lele Psychic and outspeeds Adamant Gyarados in Tailwind, with the rest being dumped in attack.

Celesteela is great against Tapu Lele, and really against anything not Fire or Electric type. I imagine that a lot of teams will struggle to handle Celesteela + Marowak + Rain.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Atk / 52 Def / 188 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

Normal moveset. EVs give SpDef Beast Boosts, outspeed base 100s in Tailwind / creep other Celesteela.

The last slot should be able to effectively handle opposing water types, which otherwise could be troublesome. Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko are obviously two of the strongest choices for that. I believe that Tapu Bulu would fit better on this team as it can function with either TR or Tailwind, as well as being a good answer to Koko + Chomp. I would run something like this:

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Protect

Koko does have great natural speed and can benefit from Rain with 100% accurate Thunder so you might choose that instead, in which case I would run something like this:

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Thanks for reading, hope this helped!

I'm still in the breeding/testing phase so I'm more than open to ideas. I have to disagree with you on toxapex tho. Toxapex is only 2x weak to 3 types. I've also done testing and found that Tapu Koko and lele are the only ones who have a dependable chance one shotting toxapex and only in optimal conditions. Even mudsdale for example with maxed attack and stab earthquake will have trouble with toxapex stalling it out in singles. I'm willing to take toxapex down I just think it deserves more credit then you're giving it. I was planning on running the exact opposite wishiwashi going with maxed attack and running waterfall, earthquake and then maybe rest talk or protect and a 4th option. My pelliper is essentially yours but with a damp rock and maybe switch scald for stockpile. My marowak set is the exact same and I was thinking about a mixed offense max speed tapu koko. celesteela is interesting but I dunno, it'll play the same role as toxapex in my opinion but with more attack and less support. Tapu Bulu is neat but the electric terrain/rain boosted thunder with the speed of tapu koko is too hard to resist. I will certainly test your options out on showdown when I get the chance, just voicing my opinions on them at the moment.

P.s. your oranguru is much better than what I was thinking of, except maybe pyschic instead of foul play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)