1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The WNBA Thread

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by evan, Jul 12, 2011.

1. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Another NBA season has come and gone with the same emphasis on flash and trash and none on the heart of the game: the fundamentals. Year after year I find myself less impressed with high flying dunks and triple digit scores yet still enamored with the sport of basketball. Fortunately, for those of us who understand that the fundamentals are what is really important, there is always the WNBA! This year is proving to be an incredibly exciting one as well with each girl playing her hardest and diving after every rebound.

Let's take a look at the standings this year so far!

In the Western Conference the Minnesota Lynx and San Antonio Silver stars are tied for the top of their division with 7-3 records, followed closely by the Phoenix Mercury at 8-4 who are currently on a 4 Win streak! Truly these are three teams that understand the fundamentals, unlike the Tulsa Shock sitting pretty at a 1-11 record with a losing streak of 5 games. Too much flash, girls. Practice your inbounds a little more!

The Western Conference is much closer than the Eastern Conference where the greatest basketball team in history, the Indianapolis Fever, are running away with the conference title with a record of 9-3, having won their past 6 games. The Connecticut Sun at 6-4 are trying to catch up, but based on the strength of Indianapolis stars like Tameka Catchings, who goes for every rebound and plays with so much heart, and center Tangela Smith with a devastating 1.000 free throw ratio, it's hard to think that any team can match the incredible level of fundamentals that these girls show.

The season is shaping up to be quite exciting with even more fundamental action to come! Use this thread to discuss the WNBA season, your favorite teams and players, and much more!

Go Fever! [​IMG]
  2. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Being a huge fan of the Phoenix Suns I also follow the Phoenix Mercury, and unlike the Suns they have brought me a championship not once, but twice so I tend to follow them more. Candice Dupree is one of my favorite players to watch, she has solid fundamentals and many people call her the WNBA Tim Duncan for that reason (though I would call Tim Duncan the NBA Candice). I think the Mercury can make another run towards the championship this season, though the loss of Tangela Smith to the Fever might be huge down the line, only time will tell. But behind the consistent and solid play of Diana Taurasi, Penny Taylor and Candice Dupree there is a definite chance they can make a run in the playoffs and possibly win it all.
  3. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

With the All-Star Game quickly approaching on July 23rd, I've been closely following the voting race. Tamika Catchings of the Indianapolis Fever is currently holding the #1 spot with close to 20,000 votes. Cappie Pondexter and Katie Douglas are in a close race for the #2 spot in votes with around 11,800 and 11,200 respectively, but neither has a strong chance of overtaking Tamika for the #1 spot. Tamika is clearly a fan favorite and it's not hard to see why. Her inspiring play on the court is obvious to even a new fan every one of the 32.3 minutes she plays. She dives for every rebound like it will be her last, putting her in the top 10 in rebounds in the league with nearly 8 rebounds per game.

I wish I could make it to the All-Star game this year, but as I don't live close to San Antonio I will be unable to make it to the game for the second straight year. I know it will be a good game with both teams playing hard.
  4. Phadunk

Phadunk

Isn't the WNBA filled with just ex-UCONN players?
  5. evan

The University of Connecticut currently has 10 active duty WNBA players who are also alumni!

ASJHA JONES - Connecticut Sun
    TINA CHARLES- Connecticut Sun
    KALANA GREEN - Connecticut Sun
    RENEE MONTGOMERY - Connecticut Sun
    CHARDE HOUSTON - Minnesota Lynx
    MAYA MOORE - Minnesota Lynx
    DIANA TAURASI - Phoenix Mercury
    KETIA SWANIER - Phoenix Mercury
    SUE BIRD - Seattle Storm
    SWIN CASH - Seattle Storm

The University of Tennessee also has a number of players in the WNBA including superstar Tamika Catchings!
  6. The_Chaser

The_Chaser RVW
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

I will be interested to see how Cambage goes. It's nice to see that there are a fair number of Australian Women in the WNBA despite basketball not being a particulary popular sport here.
  7. BlueCookies

The Indianapolis Fever's Katie Douglas, who leads her team in scoring with 16.1 ppg was interviewed recently while the Fever are on a six game winning streak.

source: http://www.wnba.com/news/douglas_qanda_110711.html
  8. evan

Great interview. Losing Briann definitely hurts the Fever and puts them in a weaker position, but such a strong core in Tamika, Tangela, and Katie are poised to continue the win-streak. Bobbitt and Phillips proved themselves in the Fever's victory over the Storm the other day and I think with more practice they can only get better and more acclimated as they become more experienced. The Fever are the team to beat this year!
  9. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

After spending some time in Indianapolis, I must say that their team name is as true as could be. I caught the Fever and am now a die hard fan. If I can recall correctly Tamika Catchings had a monstrous game on Saturday with 6 steals and 3 blocked shots. What a monster! Nonetheless after hearing about her performance I just had to purchase some fangear. I'll post a pic ASAP!
  10. evan

The Fever continued their win streak today with their 90-78 win over the Connecticut Sun, bringing their streak to a league best 7. The best thing about the Fever is how they emphasize the team nature of the game with six players scoring in the double digits, including allstar Tamika Catchings. Katie Douglass lead scoring with a powerful 20 points. This shows how much they truly care about the fundamentals of the game with every player playing hard for the team.

CAN NO ONE STOP THE FEVER?!
  11. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

The fever have certainly exerted dominance over the entire league, but the Phoenix Mercury are definitely making a push, as well as being the last team to beat the Fever. The Fever's next game against the Minnesota Lynx is pretty big and will definitely be a big game, even though it is still early in the season. It's definitely going to come down to rebounds with Big Bekah Brunson in the paint diving for the boards against the still young Davenport.

BTW, makiri what do you think of Penny Taylor? She's a pretty good combo with Taurasi and Dupree and it certainly shows in her averages of 16 ppg, 5 apg, and 5 rbg. She's quite attractive too!
  12. vulpes-bug

vulpes-bug

so uh... any good-looking girls in the wnba?
  13. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

Can't believe the Fever lost to the Lynx like that. Tamika was a monster in the game with 22 points! Oh well, only a minor speed bump in what is possibly going to be the 1 seed of the East. Looks like the West though is pretty stacked with Minnesota, Phoenix, LA, SA, and Seattle all vying for the top seed with only a 3 game differential between the Mercury and the Sparks!
  14. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Please do NOT objectify the hard-working women of the WNBA. They are there for their skills on the court. Respect them as such.
    Mew King, Alphamon, phoopes and 5 others like this.
  15. Diana

Diana This isn't even my final form
    is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor Alumnus

I was going to look for something to watch on TV the other day and ended up seeing most of the San Antonio-Seattle game. I really was impressed. Quite a few former Uconn players (which I do like, considering both parents went there), but it's more of a mix than people give it credit for too. It is certainly different than the NBA, with less dunking and flash and more clean fundamentals (though the guys certainly aren't bad at them by any means, they are professionals too), and it was a nice game to watch for sure. Hopefully I can watch some more games soon, though I can't say I know when they're on.

Also side note: They mentioned one player used to play for Columbus in the some now-defunct league, and I had been to one of their games when she played. It was an interesting experience and I remember a surprising amount of people showed up.
  16. makiri

makiri My vast and supreme will shall be done!
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

The Mercury put on a show last night with 9 players recording assists vs the Mystics. The Mercury are definitely making a push as the best team in the WNBA, their record stands at 10-4 and they have won 9 of their last 10 and 6 in a row. The Fever may be the trendy pick at this point in the season, but the Mercury are always in the hunt. Who knows we may see a rematch of the 2009 Finals down the road, that would definitely excite me.
  17. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

I'm glad to see that there is another WNBA fan here on Smogon! And I agree that it's difficult to follow since they do not get too much mainstream coverage.

Minnesota is really impressing me, as are the Mercury. But still, you cannot count the Fever out with 4 time Defensive Player of the Year Tamika Catchings!
  18. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

19. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

Sorry to triple post but I would like to say that the playoffs are about to start! It's going to be a good one with the Fever vs. the Liberty! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FEVER!
  20. commi$$ioner

commi$$ioner

Sorry for the Quadruple post, but I just wanted to update Smogon, Congratulations to the Minnesota Lynx on taking out the Atlanta Dream in the WNBA Finals, even though it should have been the Indiana Fever. There's always next year though, hopefully most of the roster can come back and Tamika will stay healthy throughout the playoffs.
  21. BlueCookies

The regular season starts in just a few more weeks. Anyone got any predictions on who they think is going to make a deep run into the playoffs or win this year? Will the Lynx defend their title or will the Fever finally take that next step towards a championship?
  22. Phiddlesticks

Phiddlesticks

I really really hope the Tulsa Shock can perform better this year. Maybe I'm just a big sucker for underdog stories but I think my biggest dream as a WNBA fan is to see Tulsa back at the top of the rankings like in their Detroit Shock days.

Maybe Liz Cambage can put the team on her back and carry it to glory now that she's learned and improved her game, but on the other hand maybe that's a bit unrealistic. Either way though I hope for the best!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)