"This is not a Rain Dance team" (Peaked c.1500)

Okay, so I decided it was about time that I posted the team I've been using for ages now, and after a long time battling I finally hit the 1500's in the previous metagame. I know this mightn't be very impressive to some of you, but considering the fact that I did it all without a Venusaur or Milotic in sight, I'm pretty proud.

As far as my play style goes, I favour anti-metagame. I would never be happy knowing I got to the top of a leaderboard knowing I had the same team as 2134235432 others. Unfortunately, this style of play requires immense prediction, better that that of which I possess. But still, I enjoy it, and I don't see it changing.

So without further adieu, I give you "This is not a Rain Dance team", so named because of my constant arguments with others on the ladder that it isn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fleur de Lis (Electrode) @

Ability: Static
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
---

This is usually where the argument starts. Why would I use Electrode as a lead if I'm not going to Rain Dance? Well first of all, Electrode can do so, so much more than just set up Rain Dance and Explode, neither of which it does here. My team is heavily reliant on keeping entry hazzards off the field and really appreciates status being spread, both of which Electrode does exceptionally. It's blistering Speed means that it has the fastest Taunt outside Ubers. Couple this with the fact that it is fast enough to even Taunt TrickScarfers such as Uxie before they get a chance to Trick and any form of set up is basically stopped cold. Static is a great ability for a lead, meaning Flinch and Flee types such as Ambipom and Physical anti-leads often get Paralysed before long. Twave usually follows Taunt meaning that if Uxie or any other lead attempts to come in and set up later it will have a sufficiently harder time doing so. Tbolt and HP Ice round out the coverage, with Tbolt taking care of the plethora of Water Leads in UU, and HP Ice dealing with ground type switch ins. Without a doubt, one of the best leads I've used.

Here's how it deals with common leads in UU:
: Take the Fake Out, then Twave. If Static paralyses during the Fake Out, then I just Tbolt, which is a 2HKO on most. Either way, it's getting paralysed, and a paralysed Ambipom is a useless Ambipom.
: Taunt to stop Stealth Rock or Trick, or Dual Screens, and then proceed to Twave, and Tbolt until fainted, or they send in a Ground type.

: Tbolt is a OHKO on all Omastar. If its holding a sash, I simply Tbolt again.

: ^Ditto.

: Twave since most variants are Scarfed, and Focus sash enables me to survive their hits. From there, I Tbolt to knock a good chunk of their health before they kill me, or if the get full para, I simply keep Tbolting until they do so.

Scyther (F) @

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aerial Ace
- Bug Bite
- Quick Attack
- Pursuit
---

That image, as horrific as it is, sums up what a Scyther sweep looks like when teams aren't prepared for it. Its beastly. Without a doubt, the MVP of my team, hence why it requires no entry hazzards to be able to switch in and out freely for maximum damage. Aerial Ace and Bug Bite get pretty great coverage, dealing with Psychics, Fighters, Grasses, Darks and Bugs. Quick Attack makes for a great revenge kill, amounting to what is essentially a STAB Priority with the Technician boost. Pursuit rounds of the damage, dealing with the Pokes who flee at the sight of Scyther, of which there are quite a few. Altough it is walled by some very common Pokemon, they're nothing that can't be dealt with by the other members of my team. The EVs are your standard Physical sweeper spread, with max Speed in order to tie with other Base 105 Speeds, like Mismagius.

Babar (Donphan) (M) @

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 52 HP/252 Atk/204 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Assurance
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
---

Another important part of my team, Donphan is mainly support, switching into Electric and Physical attacks that others can't, getting rid of entry hazzards that manage to find their way onto the field, and hitting back with Earthquake, or Ice Shard and Assurance for those who aren't affected by EQ. I decided to go with an Expert Belt for a number of reasons. First of all, it feigns a Choice Band, meaning Flyers and Ghosts often think they get a free switch in, only to be battered by Ice Shard or Assurance. And secondly, it allows Donphans moves some extra bite, and allows him to get rid of threats quicker than if I had run lefts overs. I can't find any Pokemon that does its job better. The EV spread is simply the one listed in the analysis.

El Viajero (Ludicolo) (M) @

Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 39 HP/219 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
---

Yeah, Ok. So I love this Pokemon. But I don't use it solely because I love it, I use it because its a seriously underrated threat outside RD teams, and is possibly one of the best switch ins to Milotic there is. Now I know I said this wasn't a Rain Dance team, and it isn't. However, the most effective Ludicolo I've used is one in the Rain. It can often take down 2 or 3 Pokemon before it goes if it's allowed to get rain up. Ice Beam deals with common Grass and Flying type switch ins, while Hydro Pump in rain offers some serious heavy fire power. Its shitty acc has lost me more than a fair share of games, but truth is, it needs it in order to net those One hit or 2HKOs to allow its sweep to continue. I run Grass Knot over Energy Ball simply because of Milotic. Grass Knot is Base 100 power against it, whereas Energy Ball is only 80. The EVs allow Ludicolo maximum SpA, and to outrun Max Speed Rhyperior outside Rain, and outrun all but Offensive Milotic.

Magnum PI (Alakazam) (M) @

Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
---

Alakazam occupies the Special sweeper role, and does an immense job at it. Possibly the most "conventional" pokemon on the team, but it hasn't been bettered at what it does. Sub often allows me to scout potential Dark type switch ins expecting a switch in, or a Sucker Punch from Hitmonlee or 'Top. Shadow Ball is to deal with the likes of opposing Psychics and Ghosts such as Rotom and Mismagius, who can spell trouble for my team otherwise. Again, a pretty conventional set, so theres not really much else to say.

Wario (Poliwrath) (M) @

Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 152 HP/252 Atk/102 Spd/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
---

Poliwrath is a badass, underrated, fly as fuck Pokemon. Seriously, if this thing is allowed to get a Bulk Up or two under it's belt, things will die. Considering its resistance to seven (!) common types, it isn't hard to get set up. The list of things 'Wrath can set up on is rediculous. I went with Ice Punch/ Focus Punch instead of the more common Return/ FP often seen on opposing Azumarill for the simple reason that it allows me to set up on Physical Spiritomb, and grants far superior coverage, bar other water types. If anyone is using Sub Punch Zuma, I urge them to try this. Some days it seems like Poliwrath wins me the majority of matches. The EV spread is my own, and allows it to outrun most Milotic and Venusaur, while still maxing Attack and allowing some bulk to take advantage of those 7 resistances to get set up.

-----------

So there we go. The team I've most enjoyed playing with and my most successful to date. Please rate/ appreciate/ discriminate as you see fit.

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Awesome, neat team.

Just a nitpick, but on the lead matchup thing for Electrode, Static is never activated by Fake Out (it's not a contact move, like Earthquake). Another nitpick on Ludicolo; use 40 HP / 216 Speed instead of 39 HP / 219 Speed, it's easier on the eyes that are so accustomed to seeing multiples of 4. Also, it nets you 1 extra HP with no cost~

Awesome team, looks very fun to play. Good luck with it~ :D

Edit: or on ludicolo, use what the guy above me says. :3

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
at first sight, it looks like scyther really wants u-turn, but depending on how you play it it may not be required.

donphan, if used solely as a support mon should have 252 hp/52 attack/204 defense (i think that's the right spread) and lefties, you can't bluff band but you can live longer. the spread is optional, but it really should have lefties.

oh, and give scyther a nickname. my personal choice would be "Bullet Punch", but that one's up to you =b

I haven't had a close look but I would suggest protect to go somewhere on the Electrode. Most probably over Thunder wave. If you do that, make tbolt discharge instead so that you have the high paralysis chance.

Slight nitpick. Change Electrodes nature to Timid, you don't have any physical moves on your moveset and having a minus defense nature for nothing is kind of a loss. Nice team you got there mate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)