To Hail With Weather Teams!

To Hail With Weather Teams!

Introduction

After getting tired of seeing rain and sand teams everywhere, I decided to make a sun team to get away from all the common weathers. That was nice and ask but I got bored after a while because the offensive play style didn't end up catching my interest. So, I decided to look into the last weather, hail. I initially tried hail stall but that turned out to be a bit too slow for my liking. Long story short, I like the way this team plays so I'm open to all help as long as you don't turn it into hail stall or some hyper offensive gig.

At a Glance

In-Depth Look

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Wood Hammer

The weather starter probably doesn't need a reason to be on this team so I'll just explain the moves. I initially was using a mixed set with Wood Hammer, Ice Shard, HP Fire and Earthquake but I dropped it due to its ineffectiveness. Abomasnow rarely OHKOd anything unless it wasn't physically bulky. On top of that, HP Fire so practically no usage unless I predicted Scizor or Ferrothorn. If not, then the former easily OHKOd me with Bullet Punch while the latter could hammer away with Gyro Ball. So, in the end, I decided that Abomasnow to use Abomasnow to force switches in two ways. The first would be through a bad matchup and the second would be through Leech Seed, although the first often lead to the second. Apart from that, Abomasnow plays clean-up a bit with Protect stalling in the hail for residual damage along with STAB priority Ice Shard.

Latio
s @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Sleep Talk

Latias was originally Latios with the an offensive set as well, but I dropped it in favor of the bulk offered by Latias which allowed it to switch into a number of troublesome Special Attacks without being too badly damaged. Apart from being a good switch-in, Latias desks with Steel-types very well, especially Scizor who forces Abomasnow and Kyurem-B to switch out every time or else risk being OHKOd by Bullet Punch. Apart from that, Latias packs two STAB attacks for either OHKOing or simply for clean-up. Roost is used to work off LO recoil, Hail's residual damage and entry hazard damage. The EVs were initially maxed out Special Attack but 72 EVs were invested into HP to handle Venusaur asking other Pokemon while but severely decreasing Latias' ability to get the job done.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Timid Nature
- Overheat Magma Storm
- Earth Power Stealth Rock
- Dark Pulse Roar
- Hidden Power [Ice] Protect

Heatran is a staple in this team, at least in my opinion. Scarftran is both unexpected and effective, outspeeding and OHKOing Garchomp, Landorus and Dragonite among other Pokemon that are problematic. Overheat is for neutral damage for the most part seeing that nobody in the right mind leaves Scizor in with Heatran (unfortunately :( ). Hidden Power Ice is for Landorus and Dragon-types for the most part. Earth Power reliably knocks out other Heatran seeing that the majority of people don't use Scarftran. Dark Pulse is primarily for Gengar seeing that Starmie and Latias can't or shouldn't switch in on it to OHKO with STAB Psyshock.

Kyurem-B @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 44 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Blizzard
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute

The real attacking titan of this team and the Hail abuser of this team. Kyurem-B is mainly supposed to function as a late-game sweeper once Steel-types and faster Dragon-types were taken out of the picture. Scizor with Bullet Punch and Ferrothorn and Forretress with Gyro Ball all wall Kyurem-B completely so Heatran and Latias must have taken all of them along with the latter taking out Dragon-types before Kyurem-B can make an appearance. Once the threats had been taken out of the picture, Kyurem can essentially sweep after that thanks to it's mixed move pool. After a Substitute is put up, Kyurem can usually sweep unchecked because the Substitute can take one super effective attack assuming that Kyurem cannot OHKO but can 2HKO.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Thanks to the SR and Spikes weaknesses everywhere on this team, a spinner was absolutely necessary and it came down to Tentacruel and Starmie seeing that I didn't want anymore Fire-type or Ice-type weaknesses on this team. I initially had Tentacruel because it could soak up Toxic Spikes on switch in while also abusing the rain to allow it to set up its own layers of Toxic Spikes. However, I decided to drop it due to its weakness to Spikes and the uselessness of its ability outside the rain. Starmie was more useful in the sense that it had a recovery move along with Speed. On top of that, Starmie could soak up status thanks to Natural Cure while also having an offensive presence, especially when it comes to taking out Fighting-types that are troublesome to both Kyurem and Abomasnow.

Landorus-T @ Leftovers Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 Spd 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Landorus-T was initially a Gliscor with Taunt, Toxic, Earthquake and Protect. Gliscor has proven very useful when it came to the likes of Ferrothorn and set up sweepers. However, apart from forcing switches with Taunt, Gliscor couldn't do much else. Landorus-T, however, could force switches simply by switching in while also providing entry hazard support. The EV spread is slightly different in that it is aimed at countering other Landorus-T's that switch-in quite often. Once I realized that Landorus-T led to other Landorus-T's switching in, I invested four EVs in speed to outrun and kill other Landorus.

Conclusion

Well, that's all I've got. Hope you guys liked the team! Thanks for reading or skimming or glancing it whatever you did to get here. I'm open to suggestions and, if you need some help thinking, Scizor and Ferrothorn are always problems, even with all the precautions. Thanks again for reading and thanks for the help you may or may not be giving me!

Credits

Thanks to BLARG weather BLARG for giving the team an initial look over and suggesting good changes!

Last edited:
Now for real, hey that abomasnow may like Giga Drain (no joke), Latias doesn't need Psyshock exactly (Starmie can do it) You can replace it with Psychic or a defensive move. Dark Pulse on Heatran is iffy... Meh. One thing I really don't get it is, why do you need hail? Kyreum-B and Abomasnow are the only ones who take advantage of the hail and use blizzard. Even though that hidden power ice is nice but it isnt all peachy ice. You might want to consider mamoswine, just a thought.

Giga Drain over what on Abomasnow?
I'll look into Psychic, I just use Psyshock because of Blissey tending to switch into Latias for some reason. -_-
Hail provides residual damage, weather control and perfect accuracy Blizzard down by Kyurem.
I'll look into Mamoswine again although it was redundant when I initially tested it out.

Well I thought it was obvious on the hammer but w/e it's just for more survivability. Fun Fact: Blissey likes switching in to my Landorus-T. I have fun with that.

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hey, nice team.

I got your request to rate this team, so here I am to rate it, I guess. You have a real solid build that you're working off of here, balanced hail teams are always nice to use, & Kyurem-B is definitely a huge threat in the current OU meta, so huge props to you for using him in your team. However, I find some huge flaws in your team that prevent it from being successful & also preventing the team from what you want it to do, so this rate will fix that. With all that said & done, let's get to my rate. Now, looking over your team, your team seems to have struggles with Jirachi, especially that of the Sub + Calm Mind set. Substitute + Calm Mind Jirachi has many opportunities to setup on your team, most notably Abomasnow, & even Latias is setup fodder for it, so if you can't get your Heatran in quick enough to KO it, you're pretty much swept clean. To help remedy this situation, I would suggest changing Heatran's set to a Special Defensive one. Special Defensive Heatran practically stops Jirachi's sweep right in it's tracks, & phasing out all those hard earned boosts with Roar, or if you can, burn it & wear it down with consistent damage with Lava Plume. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running an EV spread of 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe on your Starmie over your current spread. The after-mentioned EV spread allows Starmie to prevent him from being OHKOd by Stone Edge from Choice Band Terrakion, so it can retaliate in return with Scald, Psyshock, or Recover back the health, meanwhile, the Speed EV's allow him to outpace standard Gengar, while the 4 Special Attack EV's guarantee an OHKO on him, preventing him from successfully spinblocking. Finally, I would change Landorus-T's set to a Choice Scarf set over your current one. Choice Scarf Landorus-T is a fantastic revenge killer, KOing such threats to your team. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun & good luck in your future endeavours!

Heatran @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Toxic

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Earthquake
- U-Turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran
: Current Set -> Special Defensive

Starmie
: 252 HP / 40 SAtk / 216 Spd -> 248 HP / 32 Def / 4 SpA / 224 Spe

Landorus-T
: Current Set -> Choice Scarf

~Dr Ciel

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Dr. Ciel helped a lot with your team; however, you now lack Stealth Rock. So...Stealth Rock > Toxic on Heatran. That's all.

Something that might fix your scarfed enemies problem is changing Latias back to a choice scarf latios. Give him sleep talk and you suddenly have one of the best breloom counters aswell.
It may help your alakazam problem aswell since latios still has enough bulk to take a hit from alakazam (except signal beam, i'm not sure on that but since you'll be faster, who cares)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)