Togekiss [QC 0/3]

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
- Togekiss gained a massive buff this generation in Fairy typing
- Has turned into an excellent special wall, handling Latios and Landorus with ease in addition to various Fighting-types with a 4x Fighting resistance, and taking most neutral special hits with remarkable ease
- Access to reliable recovery in Roost as well as the ability to severely annoy foes with Serene Grace-enhanced paraflinch (STAB Air Slash + Thunder Wave)
- Also can form a solid defensive attacker with Nasty Plot, or fill a solid offensive role -- it gets all the coverage it could ever want in two solid STAB, Flamethrower, Aura Sphere (murders Tyranitar !_!)
- Weak to SR
- Weak to now common Poison- and Steel-type attacks, as well as Rock, Electric, and Ice (though it can take things like non-STAB Ice Beams and Thunderbolts with relative ease)

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Thunder Wave / Nasty Plot
move 4: Dazzling Gleam / Defog / Aura Sphere
ability: Serene Grace
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========
- Roost provides reliable recovery
- Air Slash is a decent-powered STAB with a 60% flinch chance due to Serene Grace
- Thunder Wave to cripple speedy offensive Pokemon and allow for paraflinch shenanigans with Air Slash, which combined leave a low chance for the opponent to even make a move whilst they are brought to death
- Or, Nasty Plot to allow for some offensive presence in Togekiss. Due to its bulk it gets many setup opportunities, and it's actually a pretty good sweeper.
- Last slot is kind of a toss-up between a few options.
- Dazzling Gleam gives you a Fairy STAB with which to hit Dragon-types.
- Defog gets rid of hazards, naturally, allowing Togekiss to support in that fashion
- Aura Sphere hits Tyranitar really hard and OHKOes Bisharp whilst giving you super effective coverage on Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Heatran, which could otherwise wall you.

Set Details
========
- EVs allow you to take special hits the best possible

Usage Tips
========
- Send it out on things like Dragon- and Fighting-types, as well as pretty much anything that hits specially and can't hit you with a STAB super effective attack
- Roost as needed -- you'll generally want to before you switch out unless Togekiss hasn't lost much HP
- You'll want to paralyze foes assuming you have Thunder Wave (assuming they're not a Ground-type) and then you can just annoy the hell out of them with the low chance to move between Air Slash and Thunder Wave whilst getting rid of them
- With Nasty Plot, set it up when you're in a position to actually do some damage/need the power boost to take out the opposing Pokemon
- Pretty much just use the last slot moves against the relevant targets, there's not really much beyond that
- You want to get rid of SR before you bring Togekiss in -- it's a real detriment to it defensively. Try and get it in, Defog away the hazards, and Roost back up ASAP if you have to run Defog.

Team Options
========
- Pokemon to cover things like Terrakion, Mega Lucario, Tyranitar (if you lack Aura Sphere), Kyurem-B, Thundurus, and other powerful offensive threats that can hit super effectively are 100% necessary.
- Landorus-T makes a good partner, handling physical Mega Lucario and Tyranitar nicely
- Sylveon fares well against Kyurem-B and Thundurus, and can get rid of troublesome Toxic status with Heal Bell
- If you're not running Defog, a Defog user is almost a necessity. Latias handles Thundurus marvelously and serves as a good check to Terrakion and way to threaten Kyurem-B. Zapdos can handle Mega Lucario, a huge threat to Togekiss, very well and Defog.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 3: Dazzling Gleam
move 4: Flamethrower / Aura Sphere / Roost
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
- NP boosts Togekiss's SpA to threatening levels
- Air Slash is the main STAB, boasting decent power and a 60% chance to flinch, which allows it to hax its way past foes in many scenarios -- though this should never be relied upon
- Dazzling Gleam is the other STAB, providing coverage on Dark-types, especially Mandibuzz, and Dragon-types such as Latias and Latios
- Flamethrower is generally preferred in the last slot as the only way to hit Aegislash whilst felling Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and other Steel-types
- Alternatively, Aura Sphere if you really hate Tyranitar
- Or, Roost if you want to keep Togekiss healthy and have ways to handle threats that would be taken care of by the coverage move of choice

Set Details
========
- Simple offensive EV spread maximizes Togekiss's sweeping potential
- A Life Orb is pretty important to hit as hard as possible
- However Leftovers can also be run if survivability is your cup of tea

Usage Tips
========
- Bring this in later in the game when its counters have been removed
- It has lots of resistances and two immunities, so switching in isn't all that hard
- Set up immediately upon switching in and proceed to attack as appropriate, or set up against if you have a really good opportunity
- With a Life Orb, you'll want to keep Stealth Rock off the field so as to preserve Togekiss's health, which prevents revenge killers and priority users that can't hit it particularly hard from prematurely ending its sweep

Team Options
========
- Defog user. Latias and Zapdos make good choices, as well as Latios, which is a good option on the slightly more offensive teams you'll want to run this Togekiss on.
- Ways to eliminate the blobs, Steel-types, Mega Venusaur, etc. Think a Pokemon like Mega Charizard X.
- Sticky Web from Smeargle/Galvantula to let NP Togekiss outrun more stuff and thus have a much easier time sweeping. Alternatively you can have something like TWave Deoxys-D, and then just run Excadrill > Defogger with the hazards Deoxys-D provides, and you'll be all set.

Other Options
########
- Physically defensive
- Bulky attacker
- NP + Baton Pass

Checks and Counters
########

**Steel- and Poison-types**: Most notably, (Mega) Scizor, Bisharp, Mega Venusaur, Genesect

**Specially bulky walls**: Blissey, Chansey, Clefable, Umbreon...though the latter two have to watch being flinched to death, as boosted Air Slashes from offensive variants do a solid amount.

**Status**: Toxic, Will-O-Wisp, they cripple Togekiss by limiting its survivability and forcing it to Roost more often, generating free turns that you can capitalize on. Think Rotom-W, Blissey, Chansey. Paralysis hurts, too.

**Electric-, Ice-, and Rock-types**: Rotom-W, Thundurus, Zapdos, Rotom-H, Kyurem-B, Greninja (Protean gives it STAB Ice Beam), Terrakion...

**Stealth Rock**: Limits its longevity significantly.

**Powerful physical attackers**: Overwhelm Togekiss. Think CB Talonflame as a prime example.

Last edited:
Should make a note of access to Flamethrower and Fire Blast for the Offensive set if Steels are giving it trouble. Lastly ParaFlinch set is still useful but to some extent and is somewhat gimmicky. I believe it also gets access to Baton Pass which might be helpful in passing Nasty Plots.

Paraflinch can work, but it's hard to do with all these Rotom-W and Thundurus.

A bulky-attacking set was in the preview article, and I've still found it quite effective. It works nicely as a pivot as long as you carefully clear off rocks, especially if you're needing of dragon- and fighting-checks. As an attacker, it has the advantage of not needing to set up, which is better imo, when you're this slow.

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere
- Roost

Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam are your obligatory STABs, while your choice of coverage move depends on the needs of your team. Generally Flamethrower is preferred because Togekiss is massive bait for steels like Genesect, but you could use Aura Sphere for Heatran and T-Tar instead (but you can't 2HKO AV-Tar without Life Orb). For the item I prefer Leftovers to not be worn down too much, but with Life Orb you get unexpected 2HKO's on Rotom-W and T-Tar.

Originally I had 52 Speed to outspeed Rotom-W, but currently the suggested EV-spread in Rotom-W's analysis has 44 Speed to outspeed max speed Azumarill. 96 Spe can outspeed that, but this might count as speed-creeping which is generally looked down on analyses. Some other speeds you could use are 176 Spe for Adamant Breloom and 196 for Jolly Tyranitar.

Last edited:
You may want to mention utility in other options. Between dual screens, statuses, heal bell, and trick it can add some utility to its specially defensive set.

Togekiss is perfectly capable of performing offensively and defensively running an eviolite set such as this one

Togekiss@eviolite
EVs: 252HP / 126 SpA / 130 SpD
Modest Nature
-Air Slash
-Dazzling Gleam
-Thunder Wave/Light Screen
-Roost

Air Slash and Dazzling Gleam are your primary STAB attacks. Thunder Wave is good mainly because of the paraflinch effect that happens with Air Slash combo, while Light Screen increases not only Togekiss's SpD it increases the entire party's SpD.
Roost is there just for it incredibly reliable recovery.

Edit: Scratch the whole eviolite thing, it should only use leftovers than.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Togekiss can't use Eviolite as the item only works for Pokemon that can still evolve; Togekiss can't.

A bulky attacking set that's similar to the one sidakarya posted looks solid. I haven't played with that set much, but Kiss does have a solid defensive typing and good offensive coverage in its STABs + 1 coverage move. That said, Defog would be a neat option if Leftovers is used as Roost isn't quite as necessary, but still probably preferred since Kiss is weak to SR.

Togekiss can also run a Baton Pass set effectively; learning Nasty Plot leading to dangerous special sweepers like Chandelure or Mega Gengar.

Togekiss@eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Calm/Careful Nature
-Nasty Plot
-Baton Pass
-Thunder Wave
-Roost/ Air Slash

Do I really need to explain this set?

Edit: Scratch the whole eviolite thing, it should only use leftovers than

Togekiss can't use Eviolite as the item only works for Pokemon that can still evolve; Togekiss can't.

A bulky attacking set that's similar to the one sidakarya posted looks solid. I haven't played with that set much, but Kiss does have a solid defensive typing and good offensive coverage in its STABs + 1 coverage move. That said, Defog would be a neat option if Leftovers is used as Roost isn't quite as necessary, but still probably preferred since Kiss is weak to SR.
Thanks for telling me that, If only they had an eviolite for fully evolved pokemon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
while your set may not be perfect, np pass togekiss is intriguing. it may get a set, pending further qc talks.

bulky attacker i will personally test and come back with feedback.

while your set may not be perfect, np pass togekiss is intriguing. it may get a set, pending further qc talks.

I will inform you about the details of np baton pass in an hour or so

The set for np baton pass works very simple. Use Thunder Wave to paralyze the opponent so you can quickly set up Nasty Plot and Baton Pass it. Roost is there for recovery. Or you can use AS for a flinch effect while dealing damage

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a Scarf set?

Togekiss@Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Trick

How about a Scarf set?

Togekiss@Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower
- Trick
I would just at least have Aura Sphere as a second choice for Flamethrower, I do understand that Flamethrower does have a 20% chance to burn the opponent, but Aura Sphere does the same thing that Flamethrower does, but Aura Sphere has an added coverage to other types.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
(murders Tyranitar !_!)
A shaky counter at best:

4 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 88-108 (21.7 - 26.7%) -- 17.5% chance to 4HKO
4 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 128-152 (31.6 - 37.6%) -- 86.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tyranitar in Sand: 116-140 (28.7 - 34.6%) -- 4.6% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 208-248 (51.4 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 288-342 (77 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
0+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 380-450 (101.6 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And on a speedy togekiss against a ddancing m-ttar:

+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 608-716 (195.4 - 230.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Togekiss Aura Sphere vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 192-228 (56.3 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

fwiw it had NP baton pass sets listed for previous gens

No mention of Sticky Web users at all? Togekiss' speed is pretty mediocre and you won't always have the luxury of paralyzing everything you face.

Jukain

!_!
i'm waiting for qc approvals

oh and i'll mention sticky web with offensive np sure, galv/smeargle

e: also mentioned twave deo-d because it's a boss

Not a QC,but as BlazingToads64 said Excadrill makes a fantastic partner for Togi.
- Covers His Weaknesses
- Spins Hazards Away
- And gets rid of Togi's most hated enemies; Rotom-W and Tyrantitar

All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. Jukain, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

TheManlyLadybug

Banned deucer.
you need to remove genesect from the checks and counters section
Also, as a reminder, remove mention of Mega Lucario, as it banned. Maybe shift around the Team Options section a little bit too, as you don't need teammates like Lando-T to check it anymore.

I would mention Scarf Keldeo as a good teammate for Togekiss. It actually checks all the Pokémon you mentioned: Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Tyranitar, and Thundurus all get OHKO'd by either Hydro Pump or Secret Sword. Keldeo also checks other Pokemon that hit it with a STAB super effective attack, such as Gengar, Aerodactyl, Bisharp, Weavile, Nidoking, Raikou, Thundurus-T, and Greninja! The list goes on and on. If it gets a free switch-in, Scarf Keldeo OHKOs almost every threatening Pokemon to Togekiss! Definitely mention it in Team Options for both sets.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
A few things I noticed about this analysis, let me know if you disagree with anything since I COULD be wrong (I've had experience using Togekiss, but not to a huge extent).

Overview:
Has turned into an excellent special wall, handling Latios and Landorus with ease
This was at one point true, but Latios's Psyshock and Thunderbolt both carry a chance to 2HKO, and Togekiss can't even think about switching in if SR is up. Similarly, Landorus now packs Sludge Wave to obliterate Togekiss.

I would also mention that offensive Togekiss sets suffer from a lack of speed—Thunder Wave remedies this, but it takes a turn of being outsped and being hit by a super effective move. Roost can deal with it decently, but Thunder Wave + Roost is often not enough, such as in the case of Excadrill with its Iron Head.

Specially Defensive:
In the fourth slot, Dazzling Gleam really isn't the best option. Most Dragon-types hate Paralysis anyway and won't be much of a problem afterwards, and Garchomp, the only common Dragon-type who doesn't mind Thunder Wave, can't even hit Togekiss with its STABs. Aura Sphere is definitely more useful, especially for Bisharp, and Defog is also a more useful option in that spot since Defog is basically an essential move for every team. Defensive Togekiss is a competent user of the move, and saves the team from having to use another teamslot to accomodate it.

In set details, mention a physically defensive spread—it doesn't need a different set because it's basically the exact same, but Togekiss can absorb physical hits decently if necessary.

Offensive:
Deslash Life Orb from the set. With SR + Life Orb + Setup time it'll just be worn down too quickly.
According to Ash Borer Lum Berry is pretty good. It stops bulkier Pokemon from statusing you while you hax them to death. I would personally slash it after Leftovers, as it seems like a very viable choice given Togekiss's role.
I would recommend putting Tyranitar (particularly Scarf) in Team Options. It wears down or takes out a lot of offensive checks to Togekiss (Thundurus, Latios, Latias, Talonflame, Gengar, Landorus) with Pursuit and/or Stone Edge, which is nice.

OO:

Wish and Dual Screens seems OO worthy to me—not really notable and generally done better by other Pokemon, but it can be run if absolutely necessary.

Checks and Counters:
Make sure you mention Excadrill. It checks Togekiss really nicely (especially Assault Vest variants) and stops any sweeping/haxing whatsoever.

Add Landorus too—Sludge Wave hurts like hell.

Looks like a pretty good analysis to me.

QC 1/4

Oh and also make sure to remove references to Genesect and M-Lucario.

- Aura Sphere hits Tyranitar really hard and OHKOes Bisharp whilst giving you super effective coverage on Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Heatran, which could otherwise wall you.
Skarmory is not hit super effectively by aura sphere.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Stallbreaker
########
name: Stallbreaker
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 3: Roost
move 4: Heal Bell / Aura Sphere / FLamethrower
item: Leftovers / Lum Berry
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

This is what the offensive set should look like imo. Roost + Heal Bell keeps you healthy against stall, especially with lefties. Then you can just boost past a lot of threats like Chansey or even Heatran as they really cant damage you enough thanks to natural bulk and healing. Even if at +6 you can't 2HKO flinches let you muscle past stuff. Aura SPhere lets you bypass Heatran more easily and forces less flinch fishing vs Chansey. FLamethrower hits Skarm, AEgis, Ferro, Scizor, etc the hardest of course however Aura SPhere is suitable for getting past Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Lefties are ideal as the flinches accrue a ton of passive healing and it just makes taking weak hits so much easier however if a coverage move is used Lum Berry can be very helpful as with some luck the opponent may just have a single turn of hitting through your flinches in which case Lum protects you.

Evs are simple, modest's power is appreciated against defense while it still has some speed to work with so max speed is also nice. Being able to act as a functional Bisharp check is very useful for teams. You can dial speed back to 241 to outpace +spe AEgis and neutral Sharp, though you forfeit a speed tie with Mamoswine and Dragonite, as well youre slower than Adamant MEga Hera and some other stuff you dont need to miss

I didnt include dazzling gleam because honestly it doesnt really help breaking stall at all which is what Togekiss having poor speed and the tools to do should focus on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)