Top five bands?

liars REALLY need more fucking love. i have been listening to they were wrong so we died a bit too much lately.

also laz post more/chat more : (

1. Operation Ivy
2. Streetlight Manifesto
3. Catch 22
4. The Bouncing Souls
5. The Hippos

Yea, Ska pretty much.

Since it's pretty much impossible for me to list my favorites, except that position #1 is queen, I'll just go with my opinions on the top five best bands of all time;

The Beatles
Queen
Pink Floyd
REM
Bob Marley and his respective groups.

IMO okay bye.

I expect no less of you...

I know my number one artist no questions asked, but it's a bit tougher to decide on the other ones. I'll just go by my last.fm which is actually kind of accurate.

1. Animal Collective
2. Neutral Milk Hotel
3. Radiohead
4. These Arms Are Snakes
5. Explosions in the Sky

But really, I love too many bands to be limited to 5, especially since it changes so frequently. The only bands that would stay up there for good are the top three, the other two are subject to change a lot. If not TAAS and EITS, Genghis Tron and The Appleseed Cast come in close seconds. Modest Mouse, Minus the Bear, At the Drive-In, 65daysofstatic, Hum, and Interpol all deserve mention. I also need to listen to more Slint :(
haha, genghis tron seems sort of out of place with all of the other bands you listed.

Lol I know, it's the only grind I enjoy. Tried listening to stuff like Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza, Cutting Pink With Knives, etc but they got boring after a while.

In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Grasshopper Pie
O.A.R.

OK you guys probably don't care, but I'm gonna talk about each band just because I can and like talking about music.

Pink Floyd will always be my all-time best, favorite, whatever you want to call it, band because I have never heard of music that has spoke to me as much as theirs does. There will never be another band that captures their sound; they are one of a kind. They have about 5 albums that I would say are literal masterpieces, which is way more than pretty much any band can say. Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals. All of those are an experience in themselves, and my personal favorite, Meddle, contains the absolute pinnacle of a Pink Floyd experience, Echoes.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are probably my favorite band that is still around. I've seen them live, and I can testify that they put on a hell of a show. All of their music is so diverse, that I just find myself liking all of the different kinds of music they have out there. They managed to produce an absolutely flawless album, BSSM, and have managed to put out a ton of other worthy listens with some true gems inside such as Mother's Milk, Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium. They have so much music out there and I pretty much like it all save the really early days(mid 1980s) which I haven't taken enough time to get into. I honestly strive to produce music as beautiful as Frusciante does as a guitarist.

Most people here probably have never heard of Grasshopper Pie. I first heard of GP a year ago, where they put on an absolutely badass show at Tabfest, a music festival put on around here every year. I can't even explain what they sound like, so I'll just c/p what their website describes them as:

"The band’s music revolves around tightly arranged, well-written songs, with room for live improvisation. Grasshopper Pie draws inspiration from classic rock and American roots music including blues, bluegrass, country and funk. The band’s sound is its own."

I have yet to hear a band that sounds anything like them, and still manages to jam and improvise as well as they do live. To shamelessly whore out this band a little more, I recommend downloading the Tabfest 2003 Grasshopper Pie performance and hearing some of it yourself(they are much, much better live than in their studio efforts). I recommend checking out Colorado, Grasshopper Blues, Scooby Doo, and Harley for starters, but after you realize how catchy this band is you will probably listen to it all. I sometimes want to kill people when I think about how I will never to get to hear this band again, but it works out, I just stuff those nasty nasty thoughts inside.

I didn't really think 311 was that great of a band until I started smoking weed, and then I pretty much realized that this is the perfect stoner music. A lot of pretentious music (BAN ME PLEASE)s will try and tell you that 311 sucks as well as the culture that goes along with it, but I like to think that I choose my music on a basis of how good it sounds, and I can't understand how you can't find this band catchy. P-Nut is the fucking man on bass and delivers consistently funky bass lines, and the vocals are always superb. I just saw these guys play on Friday in Cleveland, and god damn was that a great time. 311 is another one of those bands that has so much music out there. I wouldn't even say they have a really "superb" album, but when you release so many of them there is bound to be some great stuff out there. One song I just discovered from these guys is "Beyond the Gray Sky", listen to that and tell me that doesn't almost sound Pink Floyd-like.

I've loved O.A.R. since I first heard them. A lot of people associate this band with drunken college (BAN ME PLEASE)s, and while that may be true to some point, I still love this band. I can't even think of better drinking/party music then O.A.R.. Some people will tell you how much they fucking hate their lyrics, but once you get past the fact that not every band has to write inspiring thought-provoking lyrics to be good, I think you can get into this band. It's all about having a good time; I love it. Hopefully at Columbus next year they will put on a free show for us OSU students. :)

fuck this is hard :/

I'll probably end up editing this a million times as I remember stuff that I like and kick myself for forgetting it but my first draft, tentative list in no particular order is:

-Radiohead
-Bob Marley
-Sublime
-Modest Mouse
-System of a Down

It pains me that I can't include all my other favorites, and some of them even seem more deserving, like Pink Floyd, Rage Against the Machine, and The Beach Boys, all of whom are runners up, but these bands all are special to me, and I can't help but smile when I think of them, so they are the winners...

until I come back in ten minutes, look at this list again, think the fuck was I thinking, and completely change it heh heh....

Compared with most people, I have only gotten into music recently (within the last four years), so I don't really know too many bands. In no particular order…

DragonForce
Rilo Kiley
The Fratellis
Coheed & Cambria
Billy Talent

In no order:

- A Perfect Circle
- Modest Mouse
- Kamelot
- Queen
- Sonata Arctica (going to see them live on the 12th Nov =])

1. against me! (old stuff, obviously)
2. latterman
3. billy bragg
4. XBXRX
5. the books

while 3-5 change frequently, am! will always be my favourite band and latterman my second
in response to your other comment, animal collective had better be one of those interchangeable 3 or 5 bands :(

which reminds me, i'm pretty sure you have listened to it already, but what did you think of the new animal collective album?

well, I only really got into music within the last two years, and never heard too much of the classic stuff like Hendrix, Rolling Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd, ect. So...yeah, a lot of you may think that my favorite bands are crap, because I wouldn't know if they weren't. Well, here goes (In no particular order):

Breaking Benjamin
Sum 41
Linkin Park
Bullet For My Valentine
Nirvana

Honorable mentions: Thousand Foot Krutch, Three Days Grace, Papa Roach, Crossfade...Fall out boy, My Chemical Romance. Wow, those last two were humiliating.
It seems that the only band I really have in common with everyone is Nirvana...I haven't heard of half the bands you're naming off. >_<

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot crossfade! >_>

My favorites in general:
-The Beatles
-Red Hot Chili Peppers
-System Of A Down
-Crossfade
-Earth Wind and Fire

I'm not sure why people like Pink Floyd, I can't see what the big deal with it is.

in response to your other comment, animal collective had better be one of those interchangeable 3 or 5 bands :(

which reminds me, i'm pretty sure you have listened to it already, but what did you think of the new animal collective album?
YES they definitely are. the ones most often battling for contention are animal collective/the unicorns/why?/cLOUDDEAD/defiance, ohio.

and no!!!! i actually havent listened to strawberry jam, ive been meaning to download it for awhile but kept forgetting. albumbase, here i come!

oh also check out my thread on xbxrx, man. i think youll enjoy them!

edit: dan dan i am glad you like alkaline trio, i went to see them cause they were headlining a show with the lawrence arms, and i was pleasantly surprised. ive grown to like them quite a bit, though i havent experienced them all that much!

I'm not sure why people like Pink Floyd, I can't see what the big deal with it is.
I'd say because a lot of Smogon users really enjoy progressive stuff, not to mention that Pink Floyd is (although i don't listen to them as much as i used to) a pioneer for their genre.

edit: XBXRX sounds pretty cool, it's kind of like bear vs. shark where it has screaming and hardcore influence but still has that noise-ish influence. singing also sounds like blood brothers, which is cool.

i would really hav to write a book to name all......

i love metal...more gothic and death metal.....classic music is cool....
i hate rap and hip hop(so f***ing what!!!)
not in any order since they are all relly badass!!!

slayer(fucking slayer yeah!!!!!!)
dragonforce(power metal yeah!!!)
tristania(gothic metal yeah!!)
Cradle of filth(i would raise my children in i this)
BEHEMOTH!!!(MWAHAHAHA!!!!)

this really made me realise how many bands i love.....this is just what i was listening to at the time lol!!!!!

it is but it was just what i was listening to at the time....i listen to all types of music espicially 80's stuff and metal and classical music......naming my favourite bands is impossible.....

who are your favorite composers (classical)? i am partial towards chopin, schubert, liszt, mahler and rachmaninov.

truly the hardest metal known to man! :cloud:
DIAMONDS

i'd also like to note that i forgot circle takes the square. i don't know how i missed them when i love every song they have ever put out, but yeah, they would probably take my number 4 or 5 spot sometimes.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Let's compromise: I'll write a larger list of the 'bands' I could not live without but bold the five that I love the most.

Alkaline Trio
Billy Talent
The Cure
Death Cab For Cutie
Death From Above 1979
Fort Minor
Frank Turner
Hundred Reasons
Incubus
Justice
Motion City Soundtrack
Nine Black Alps
Pitchshifter
Protest the Hero
Reuben
Thrice
Thursday

OK, seven.
edit: goddammit eleven i cant help it

also here is my unnecessary opinion highlighting good bands that other people have named which proves that i have taken a healthy interest in this topic before posting:

alexisonfire
thursday
motion city soundtrack
city and colour aka dallas green
alkaline trio
1.- Radiohead
2.- The Cure
3.- Kings Of Leon
4.- Interpol
5.- Blur
Death From Above 1979
Neutral Milk Hotel

1) Led Zeppelin
2) The Beatles (and Paul McCartney when he went solo)
3) AC/DC
4) Queen
5) Lynyrd Skynyrd

Honorable Mentions: The Who, Aerosmith, Tenacious D, Pink Floyd, Neutral Milk Hotel, Jethro Tull, Smash Mouth, Cream, Jimi Hendrix, and Elton John.

My library totals to 3.5 gigs, so this obviously isn't everything I listen to. But it's what I enjoy the most. There's actually someone else here who listens to Neutral Milk Hotel. LMAO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)