Tornadus-Therian Revamp [QC: 2/3] - Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
QC: Steve Angello / TDK
GP:

[OVERVIEW]

Tornadus-T is a top threat in the OU metagame for several reasons. Chief among them is access to a strong Flying STAB in Hurricane and complimentary coverage to break down Rock resists. Torn-T also sports a base 121 speed stat, which allows it to outspeed much of the unboosted and unScarfed OU metagame. It also has access to many utility options such as U-Turn and Knock Off, which enable Tornadus to weaken checks and generate momentum. Regenerator is also a great ability that allows Tornadus-T to be one of the few Pokemon to effectively use an Assault Vest. Not all is great for Tornadus-T, as a Stealth Rock weakness can lessen the recovery from Regenerator. In addition, Torn-T's movepool forces it to go mixed to fully use its movepool. While mono-Flying typing helps check some key threats, overall it is rather lackluster in terms of defensive typing.

Assault Vest Pivot
name: Assault Vest Pivot
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Superpower / Focus Blast / Heat Wave
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: U-turn
item: Assault Vest
ability: Regenerator
nature: Hasty / Timid
evs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Hurricane provides strong Flying STAB
- Fighting coverage hits most Steel and Rock types that resist Flying such as Tyranitar. Superpower deals more damage to specially bulky pivots and walls such as Chansey and Tyranitar. Focus Blast offers complimentary coverage to 2HKO Heatran and Ferrothorn
- Heat Wave hits Skarm, as well as provides a way to more accurately hit other non-Heatran Steel types
- Knock Off provides general utility of removing items
- U-turn provides momentum as well as working well with Regenerator

Set Details
========

- 160 Special Attack EVs guarantee to OHKO on Keldeo, who AV Torn-T is an effective check to
- Max Speed ties other Torn-T as well as outspeeds some newly relevant threats such as LO Zam
- Extra EVs leftover from Special Attack get dumped into HP to give Torn-T more general bulk
- Speed boosting nature is a must to reach the highest possible speed tier
- Hasty gives maximum firepower, Timid gives Torn-T max bulk. Torn-T's attacks that use the Attack stat are generally more of the utility variety lessening the need to use Hasty in every case.

Usage Tips
========

- Early game use U-turn to scout answers to Torn-T and gain momentum
- Using Knock Off to remove Leftovers, Eviolite and other similar items is valuable early game
- Torn-T is excellent at weakening its own checks through utility options
- Late game, it can clean with its strong Flying STAB and complimentary coverage

Team Options
========

- Checks to Electric types are helpful as those are some of Torn-T's most common checks. Other Electrics types or bulky Grounds / Dragons such as Raikou, Hippowdon, and Latios are examples of common Elec resists.
- Other Volt Switch / U-turn users are helpful to form momentum generating cores with Torn-T. Raikou and Landorus-T are examples of ideal partners as theyalso provide helpful resists / immunities.
- Hazard removal in the form of Rapid Spin and Defog is due to a SR weakness. Lati@s work well in this regard as they also check Manectric and Rotom. Rapid Spin is more helpful on Spike stacking teams.
- Steel types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn work well with Torn-T, as they cover some weaknesses and also help create a Spike stacking core. Spike stacking helps wear down Torn-T's checks and counters as most are grounded.
- Clefable is a great partner for its ability to handle Torn-T's checks (Rotom, as well as providing a potential win condition through use of Calm Mind.

Life Orb Attacker
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Hurricane
move 2: Superpower / Focus Blast
move 3: Knock Off / Taunt
move 4: U-turn
item: Life Orb
ability: Regenerator
nature: Hasty
evs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

- Hurricane provides a strong but inconsistent STAB
- Fighting coverage hits most Flying resists (Rock and Steel types) Super Effectively. Superpower offers consistency, while Focus Blast uses Torn-T's higher Special Attack stat. Focus Blast is more useful to damage Rotom, while Superpower+Knock Off beats Chansey.
- Superpower is more reliable while Focus Blast is more powerful
- Knock Off provides general utility and can consistently hit Ghost and Psychic types
- Taunt can be used over Knock Off to stallbreak and can limit what checks who force out Torn-T can do.
- U-Turn provides momentum and can help wear down checks who lack reliable recovery. Works well with Regenerator

Set Details
========

- 76 Attack EVs allow Torn-T to OHKO Tyranitar and Excadrill
- Max Speed makes the most out of Torn-T's 121 base speed
- Rest of EVs go into Special Attack for the strongest Hurricane possible
- A Speed boosting nature in Hasty in necessary to outspeed the maximum amount of threats
- Hasty allows Torn-T to deal the most damage possible at the expense of Defense
- If using Focus Blast > Superpower, 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe is an option as the Attack investment is mostly for Superpower

Usage Tips
========

- LO Torn-T is more of a breaker than the AV set
- Regenerator mitigates LO recoil
- Regen also allows Torn-T the ability to outlast its checks more reliably due to more staying power
- Early game better off using U-Turn to flesh out checks and gauge opponents reaction to Torn-T
Late game use Hurricane and Focus Blast / Superpower to clean

Team Options
========

- Checks to common Electric types such as Manectric and Rotom are helpful as they are common Torn-T checks. Ground, Dragon and Electric types such as Hippowdon, Latios and Manectric are examples of helpful teammates in this regard.
- Hazard support is helpful due to a SR weakness. Lati@s and bulky Starmie are common options in this respect. Lati@s also checks most Electrics such as Mane and Rotom. Starmie is more helpful of hazard stacking squads.
- Other U-Turn / Volt Switch users form VoltTurn cores with Torn to generate momentum. Raikou and Landorus-T are examples of teammates that support Torn-T due to resists / immunities to Torn-T's weaknesses.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Tornadus-T has several options in its expansive movepool that deserve mentions. Iron Tail is an option to hit Diancie, who can often hard check Torn-T due to its Rock typing and lack of Fighting weakness. Grass Knot is an option to reliably KO Hippowdon. While Hurricane can beat most Hippowdon, the accuracy can makes Hurricane an inconsistent option. Icy Wind and Hidden Power Ice both guarantee a 2HKO on Gliscor. Icy Wind also helps Torn-T beat checks who attempt to outspeed in and check it that way, such as Mega Aerodactyl.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric types**: Manectric, Zapdos, and Rotom are among the best Torn-T due to resisting Hurricane
**Steel types**: Steel types such not weak to Fighting, such as Jirachi and Skarmory, can either cripple or counter Torn-T outside of Heat Wave. Heatran can check some sets depending on coverage.
**Mega Aerodactyl**: Can switch in on any move then outspeed and OHKO if Stone Edge lands
**Hippowdon**: Specially Defensive set hard counters outside of the extremely rare Grass Knot

Last edited:
Hello there,
you might want to add Ferrothorn and Heatran as solid teammates, because they cover each others weaknesses pretty well. Rapid Spin is much better, when using Tornadus-T, because Spikes stacking works really well with it. Otherwise its well done.

QC 1/3

Don't know if this is allowed but.
**Electric types**: Manectric, Zapdos, and Rotom are among the best Torn-T due to resisting Hurricane
I feel like Raikou should be added here, don't think it needs any justification as to why.

**Steel types**: Steel types such not weak to Fighting, such as Jirachi and Skarmory
Ferrothorn and Heatran are decent checks to Tornadus-T too, might want to add that in.

I also feel like Taunt deserves a slash in OO, Tornadus-T is more than a decent user of it.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
This seems quite good.

• In OO, I would probably put Icy Wind above Iron Tail (essentially make it first listed), and Taunt after it.
  • In Team Options for AV Torn-T, Clefable is a solid partner too. Clefable handles the likes of MegaMan, Kyube, Weavile, and ,Mega Lopunny, has Calm Mind to break past fatter mons that AV Torn-T has a harder time breaking through as it lacks Life Orb's firepower, and appreciates Torn-T's ability to beat Mega Venusaur, Gengar, Specs Keldeo etc. Having Heat Wave on Torn-T makes it an even more potent partner for obvious reasons.
  • In LO Torn-T Team Options, I would elaborate on Manectric + Torn-T as a pair, for example VoltTurn, Manectric beats Talonflame + Weavile, Torn-T beats MVenusaur and Latios.
  • Just a small tip, but it's U-turn, not U-Turn.
good luck :)

Hello there,
you might want to add Ferrothorn and Heatran as solid teammates, because they cover each others weaknesses pretty well. Rapid Spin is much better, when using Tornadus-T, because Spikes stacking works really well with it. Otherwise its well done.

QC 1/3
Implemented. I will leave mentions of the Lati@s as they help by adding a Manectric check instead of compounding a Manectric weakness. May lean more towards Starmie on the AV set and Lati@s on the LO set. Also added in mention of Spike stacking which I will elaborate more on when writing.

This seems quite good.

• In OO, I would probably put Icy Wind above Iron Tail (essentially make it first listed), and Taunt after it.
  • In Team Options for AV Torn-T, Clefable is a solid partner too. Clefable handles the likes of MegaMan, Kyube, Weavile, and ,Mega Lopunny, has Calm Mind to break past fatter mons that AV Torn-T has a harder time breaking through as it lacks Life Orb's firepower, and appreciates Torn-T's ability to beat Mega Venusaur, Gengar, Specs Keldeo etc. Having Heat Wave on Torn-T makes it an even more potent partner for obvious reasons.
  • In LO Torn-T Team Options, I would elaborate on Manectric + Torn-T as a pair, for example VoltTurn, Manectric beats Talonflame + Weavile, Torn-T beats MVenusaur and Latios.
  • Just a small tip, but it's U-turn, not U-Turn.
good luck :)
Put in this stuff as well. Will probably expand on Mane+Torn core when writing. Also does OO have to be layered in a specific order, especially when these options are more or less equivalent in terms of usefulness?

Don't know if this is allowed but.

I feel like Raikou should be added here, don't think it needs any justification as to why.
Could you explain this actually? The way I see it, unless it's Scarfed Raikou, Raikou just takes a hit and gets U-turned out on. Mane can actually force it to hard switch (and also has Intimidate to reduce physical damage), and Rotom/Zapdos actually have the bulk to come in a greater number of times. Raikou also gets beaten by 1 round of Rocks+LO Knock Off+LO Superpower. I just feel it gets worn down too quickly to be an effective check.

Ferrothorn and Heatran are decent checks to Tornadus-T too, might want to add that in.

I also feel like Taunt deserves a slash in OO, Tornadus-T is more than a decent user of it.
Added a Heatran mention. Ferro really isn't a great answer imo. It doesn't show up anywhere under Torn-T checks in the Checks Compendium. Not like that resource is the end all be all but a good measuring stick.

Added Taunt although I don't think it's worth it most of the time. Coverage or utility through Knock Off and U-turn is more often worth it. Still does have niche use I suppose.

I think it's worth pointing out that Taunt is effective on Tornadus because many slower teams end up using sdef-invested Clefable or Hippowdon as switch-ins if they lack a non-fighting-weak flying resist, which are just barely bulky enough to survive 2 Hurricanes and rely on their recovery to check Tornadus multiple times.

kumiko

formerly TDK
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
slash taunt after knock off on the LO set, it's really good atm. mention how HP Ice can also be used over Icy Wind as it has a guaranteed shot of 2HKOing Gliscor and Icy Wind doesn't. AV runs Focus Blast to 2HKO Ferro and Heatran (Superpower can't).

OO should be in a general order of most viable to most niche. For Torn-T, I'd rank them Iron Tail > GK > HP Ice / Icy Wind.

2/3

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I think Heat Wave might deserve a slash (or at least a strong mention) with U-Turn on Life Orb set, as preventing set-up from the likes of Ferrothorn and specially defensive Skarmory seems increasingly valuable in this metagame. Not to mention, being able to OHKO Mega Scizor and deal heavy damage to Megagross is always a plus.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe Timid is an alternate spread for AV which still KOs Keldeo after SR damage but has more bulk than the spread listed. I think it deserves a mention even if you do not choose to list it as the main spread.

slash taunt after knock off on the LO set, it's really good atm. mention how HP Ice can also be used over Icy Wind as it has a guaranteed shot of 2HKOing Gliscor and Icy Wind doesn't. AV runs Focus Blast to 2HKO Ferro and Heatran (Superpower can't).

OO should be in a general order of most viable to most niche. For Torn-T, I'd rank them Iron Tail > GK > HP Ice / Icy Wind.

2/3
Added this.
156 HP / 100 SpA / 252 Spe Timid is an alternate spread for AV which still KOs Keldeo after SR damage but has more bulk than the spread listed. I think it deserves a mention even if you do not choose to list it as the main spread.
Might add this as the main spread, I'll wait for QC to comment. If it does still beat Keldeo I see no reason why not if it still does beat Keldeo.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Actually apparently 88 SpA is all you need to KO after SR, seems I was misinformed. Either way I think a bulkier spread lets you check stuff better than the 96 HP one, and the SpA investment still being enough for what it needs to hit is good enough.

That said, Torn-T is one of those versatile mons that while it may have a main spread and moveset, can still be effective with a lot of different deviations so I don't wanna call one EV spread better than another if you need the extra power for a certain team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)