Trap Trap (peaked 1938) (Two teams !)

Hello hello. So first of all, be indulgent with me, as i'm french, so it's very hard for me to write in english. French community isn't very good for the NeverUsed Tier, and with the shuckleking advices, i did an account on smogon. I really like your NU teams ! :)

(in reality, i reached this rank with another team, less original that this one, but it's to attract)
I just reached a 25-0 streak with this team, and i'm actually 26-1.

In showdown, I played with this account. But you can see me in Camarade Papadov :)

So let's start !!!

Introduction

I wanted to make a team around the idea of trapping ! So :
Gothorita - Skuntank - Probopass

The idea was to have a ProboJynx Core, to beat the steeals that annoy Jynx, and sweep, and the other idea was to have a big bander, with gothorita to trap the stallers like tangela, alomomola... So I chose Floatzel, for the speed, the water type, and the originality.
Yeah yeah, i see you, Sawk seems to be better, but aqua jet floatzel is very important, for the simisear, the charizard, etc.

Initially, i had Gurdur to form a GurTank Core
-

But it lacked speed, and i didn't have the rocks, so i ran for Piloswine

So the Team :

Now the team at a glance :

Char Oni T-34 (Probopass) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Sooooo. Probopass. Everyone expects the stealth rock setter, and it does a huge surprise factor. His main role is to trap the annoying metang. Don't say me "OHHH METANG HAS EQ". Common metangs are : SR - meteor mash - toxic - Bullet Punch/psych up. Anyway, the repart is made to outspeed him, all the 50 base speed, torkoal shell smash set, etc.
Earth Power for steels, Power Gem is stab, Volt switch to give momentum, flash cannon stab.
The specs does a huge surprise factor, like ohko armaldo with flash cannon.
0 attack, obvious, for foul play user and confusion.

Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Ok so Jynx, the mad girl. Form the core with probopass, and does huge holes in opponent's teams. Focus Blast 2hko Lickilicky and Audino, Psychic and ice beam are stab. I really really hate lovely kiss, because of the misses (i missed my last 7 lovely kiss), but it's a quite powerful move. She's my main answer against gorebyss and ludicolo, that could otherway sweep my team.

Big E Langston (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock

Now the pig ! Piloswine is my favourite stealth rock setter, because of his amazing bulk ! Stealth rock for obvious reason, ice shard for priority, and that's very useful against swellow (it does 76%, OHKO with rocks). Icicle spear against these pesky subs (hiiii ninjask). Good to know is focus blast from common users (ampharos, electabuzz, raichu) only does around 50%. Thick fat is great against users that think piloswine if weak to fire. Also, good eletric immunity, to beat these volt switch users. It's also my main check to skuntank, who could otherwise rap my gothorita. It's also a good lure to attract sawk, and then ko back it with goth.

Titan (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 204 SDef / 52 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

My favorite NU mon, for this capacity to be different from the others. RK capacity, trapping capacity, useful TAUNT ! It's my main musharna check (if you see a musharna come, quickly go for skuntank, taunt it, and then pursuit). I really don't like the BlackGlasses set, this is better, poison jab destroys serperior for instance, and 30% poison are really good !
Honestly, don't let skuntank to take several attacks, he needs to be at more than 50% to be efficient. Beware of the burns also, there's no bealler ! Also, Sucker punch + Aftermath is really good to revenge kill.
Oh also, EV's to max attack, speed to outspeed standart missy set and taunt it !

Poseidon (Floatzel) @ Choice Band
Trait: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Floatzel... I see you say he's bad, but it's the mon with gothorita that made me build this team. It's a choice band classic set, Aqua Jet OHKO Charizard and Simisear, that could otherwise give me troubles. Waterfall for stab, aqua tail isn't reliable.. Ice Punch and Crunch for coverage (crunch is very useful, it ohko jynx outspeeding her).
I run for adamant because of 115 Floaztel base speed, that allows him to have 329 speed without jolly.

Playable like this : 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd with a jolly Nature, to have 352 speed and outspeed Jumpluff and be bulkier, but you will loose power, for sure...

Gothorita @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spd
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

And finally, the beast.. THE trapper. I made this team around Gothorita. His main role is to trap the common stallers, such as alomomola, tangela, roselia, vileplume, weezing, lickilicky without dragon tail, cradily, etc. to make my sweepers' role easyier. It also cripple banded sawk (close combat does around 35%, EQ 40%, and then ohko it back with psychic, scarf version is easyier to handle). Beware of opponent's skuntank before sending your gothorita, as you can be trapped by stabed pursuit.
EV's to outspeed alomomola and have a decent physical bulk with eviolite.

Conclusion

So, it's a trapping team, but it haves his weaknesses. First of all, you must be careful of set up sweeper, that could rape you, like for instance agility Kingler (yes yes !). It's very frail team, because of hyper offense.
But i reached a cool 26-1 with this team, and i lost against a very good player, i don't remember his name.

Importable

Char Oni T-34 (Probopass) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
Nisa (Jynx) (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
Athena (Gothorita) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Poseidon (Floatzel) @ Choice Band
Trait: Water Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
Big E Langston (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Stealth Rock
Titan (Skuntank) @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

And as I promised, here's the 2.0 version of this teamn bulkier :
I removed Piloswine and Floatzel, I replaced them by Alomomola to pass wishes to all the members and to toxic something, and by Sawk, for added power.
I also replaced Flash Cannon by Stealth Rock on Probopass, even on a specs Set

Alomomola -> Piloswine

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 Def / 252 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Waterfall
- Wish

Huge Wall, all of you know this set, 8 speed to beat others alomomola, Golurk 84 speed,
Gothorita 84 speed (ahaha).

Sawk -> Floatzel

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Jolly to keep having decent speed. Does huge holes. Nothing to had. After skuntank had trapped the opponent's ghost, you can spam close combat :). (if the opponent ghost is haunter, go for EQ, with mold breaker you ohko him). Beware of one thing. Don't do the mistake to go for EQ on bastiodon opponent lead. It can do 98%, and he will ohko you with metal burst. Spam Close Combat.

Probopass Set :

Probopass @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock

Importable

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
Probopass @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Power Gem
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
Jynx (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
Gothorita @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 Def / 252 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Waterfall
- Wish

Thank you for reading, it took me some times to do that, especially in english, don't forget i'm french !
I will appreciate any rate and comments, if there's arguments ! :)

Others teams are coming in a few days, and i hope i will be useful in the NeverUsed Forum ahah !

Bisous à tous mes amis francophones :)

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am assuming your second team is the team I will be rating, it was a little confusing to tell however. Very good results with the team, I really like the idea of a trapping team to get you free or at least easier opportunities for jynx or sawk to come in and sweep. Hopefully I will give a little bit of help.

First, I really do not like the Probopass, because there really are no steel types in NU. The only three in NU and not PU are bastiodon, metang and probopass. Bastiodon will live a hit thanks to sturdy and metal burst. Metang can live a specs hit and retaliate with an eq (which is on more than 40% of metangs), and probopass can live a hit thanks to sturdy and earthpower back or volt switch. You also cannot touch bronzor ironically ( though it's really rare). So really, this set is reliably beating wormadam-s, mawile klang and lairon as its main focus, which really isn't worth it in my opinion.

I don't see alomomola providing much either besides toxic stalling, which can be very useful. However, it is not going to be passing wishes to that great of an effect. Gothorita already has rest, so it doesn't need it. Jynx really cannot switch into many attacks so the wish might be wasted. Skuntank would appreciate it, but it has black sludge, so wish isn't as important as say, the dread plate version. So Sawk and whoever take place of probopass will be the only beneficiaries. Not that this is a bad; I think more pokes can be more productive though

Wanted to mention those first before suggesting changes. A big problem for your team is that it is fairly slow, especially because all teams will usualy have 2 pokes that can outspeed jynx (whether scarfed or natural speed). I can see charizard being a big problem for the team barring sucker punch ( and obviously stealth rocks), and taunt serperior with hp rock (or my preference, hp fire to hit jynx harder) can absolutely demolish (barring skuntank again). SD scolipede also can kill everything on your team ( though, once again, sucker punch + aftermath will help with skuntank). I would say it is a must to have at least 1 faster poke on this team.

The first thing I would do would be replacing your Sawk with choice scarf primeape. I know this does not give as much immediate power, especially against S.R. leads, but going with your theme, the u-turn can get you a switch into your gothorita or jynx if they are threaten by primeape, which can set up up very well.

Without a little theme you have, I would suggest Golem as your standard S.R. lead, as it is a great flying normal and electric check while dishing out damage. However, Probopass can also get you momentum with volt switch while being a flying and normal check (electric are not as common anyways), so I would suggest using your spread with sturdy and either air balloon or leftovers, as they are just more reliable.

For the last slot, you have a couple options, but I would just put a flat out very good pokemon, as the 5 pokes you already have work with eacn other extremely well, so the 6th poke is a little bit of a commodity. Sawk could actually work in this spot, as it gives you a very reliable option to just fire off very powerful physical hits. However, you still only have one poke faster than jynx. A couple pokes that could work are Charizard, Scolipede and Kangaskan. Your team is not too stealth rock weak, so I can see charizard easily being able to dish out very powerful fire and flying moves without much of a problem. Scolipede is another option that can set up with swords dance and it's sucha good poke. Finally, while kangaskan does not outspeed, it has arguebly the best priority in the tier (minus linoone i guess), so jynx should not be that big of a problem, and can obviously finish off weakened pokes.

I would also remove sleep talk on gothorita in favor of reflect or thunderbolt. Reflect will let you take physical attacks better, while thunderbolt roasts mandibuzz that will try to revenge kill gothorita and give some damage to other darks. Plus you speed up the process, which isn't really that necessary because the other poke cannot switch out.

Code:
Sawk-->Primeape
Vital Spirit
Choice Scarf
252A/ 4SpD/ 252+ Speed
Close Combat
U-turn
Stone edge
Ice Punch

Specs Probopass-->Offensive Probopass
sturdy
air balloon
same spread
stealth rocks
volt switch
power gem
earth power/ thunder wave for fast threats

Scolipede
Swarm
Life Orb
252A/4 SpD/252+speed
Swords Dance
Megahorn
Aqua Tail
Earthquake

Gothorita
Sleep Talk-->thunderbolt or reflect (no preference)
Great team though, and good luck!!

Hi shuckleking, thanks for the rate ! :)

First of all, i don't really like scarf primeape, but i think you agree, it allows me to have a volt turn which is good for momentum, i'm curently testing it ! :)

Concerning Probopass, you agree saying that there's not many steels in NU, but you forgot Klang, a really really underated mon, that can beat my probopass on 1 on 1 if i remove choice specs.
Don't forget it does really good damages with the spec, with a very good surprise factor. Remove the specs, it's remove key damages. Air Ballon forces me no to go often with probopass, letting SubBulkUp Braviary to set up, and being a huge threat. It's also annoying yo lose the ballon for the switchs on CB dodrio, CB braviary, swellow, as I don't really have answer for them, unless i run for Kangashkan. I really prefer my spec version, personnal choice :p

Alomomola now. It's more a escape button than a wish passer, with it's ability to check most of physical attackers. After you toxic someone, common Alomomola switch in is ludicolo, powerful electric attackers, and you can pass a wish on the switch to jynx, that resist these attacks, and prepare a sweep with a full health jynx. Also, as you said, gothorita has rest, but it's still very frail, and the wish pass allows it to do his job better !

Good idea thunderbolt for gothorita, it can help to beat HazeWartotle, i will test !

Kangashkan, scolipede... Hard choice. I will prefer kangashkan, with the silk scarf version, to hit hard with a 100% accurate double edge (i have bad memories with megahorn, with key misses), and kangashkan can better deal with scarf charizard, an horrible mon.

Thank you for everything ! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)