Trapinch (LC Analysis)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/trapinch

QC Approval: 2/2

Heysup & Dracoyoshi

GP Approval: 2/2

Fatecrashers & Snorlaxe

[Overview]

<p>On one hand, Trapinch possesses impressive Attack and an excellent ability in Arena Trap; on the other hand, its Speed is abysmal and it's unable to take hits at all. Given all this, there's really only one way for Trapinch to shine: inside of Trick Room. Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and easily KOing with its powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Trapper
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Quick Attack
move 3: Crunch
move 4: Bug Bite / Rock Slide
item: Life Orb
ability: Arena Trap
nature: Brave
evs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only way to use Trapinch effectively is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack, giving it a strong STAB, a way to deal with Levitating Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority, respectively. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over its rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum Speed stat, allowing it to outspeed everything but Munchlax and tie with minimum-Speed Slowpoke, and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill when Trick Room has expired.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it deprives the likes of Wynaut, Paras, Bronzor, and Munchlax of their Oran Berry while giving Trapinch a somewhat-reliable means of recovery. A combination of Bug Bite and Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Oran Berry Snover one-on-one, something it cannot accomplish otherwise. On the other hand, Rock Slide complements Trapinch’s Ground-type STAB very well, and allows Trapinch to beat common Flying-types, most notably Mantyke.</p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack stat and give two extra points in each defense stat, while the IV spread minimizes Life Orb recoil and maximizes Trapinch's Speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other than Life Orb, an alternative EV spread of 156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch. Bronzor resists Grass- and Ice-type attacks thrown at Trapinch, while Slowpoke resists Ice- and Water-type attacks meant for it. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens so that Trapinch can switch in more easily. Slowpoke can abuse Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch-in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support in the form of Will-O-Wisp (and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable). Gastly can set up Trick Room and utilize Explosion in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in and start its rampage.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch outside of Trick Room users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrific Speed needs all the help it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally though, Cubone is superior to Trapinch at receiving Baton Pass boosts, and Trapinch functions better in Trick Room than Cubone does. Needless to say, using Trapinch in this fashion requires a different nature and EV spread with maxed Speed and, preferably, a Jolly nature.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful as an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of Trick Room, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be Trapinch's opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponents can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if they have it available). Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but it is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always want instead.</p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned on this set, but it shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the need to predict switches. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent; it also makes Trapinch much more vulnerable to Gastly and Mantyke switch-ins, however, who will use the opening to set up a sweep and start pummeling Trapinch.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is strong, super effective priority. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the most powerful Aqua Jets in Little Cup, capable of OHKOing Trapinch. Totodile will also OHKO Trapinch, even with an unboosted Aqua Jet. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Snover's Ice Shard will fall just short of the OHKO, but Life Orb recoil from Quick Attack + Bug Bite or Rock Slide will ensure Trapinch's demise. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room if it wants to come out on top.</p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky Pokemon that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any of Trapinch's moves, except for Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to variants packing Oran Berry. In return, Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit more easily with Crunch and Bug Bite, but it never goes down easily and can usually deal some crippling damage if it packs offensive moves.</p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any variants that run a Speed-hindering nature will Speed tie with Trapinch, and said Munchlax with 0 Speed IVs will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room and can land a solid 2HKO with Return against a fully healthy Trapinch. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also Speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surf or Aqua Tail. The only other Pokemon slow enough to Speed tie is minimum Speed Bonsly; though rarely seen, it still poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion.</p>

No. :0 This IS the analysis. Trapinch only has one set really worth mentioning in it... he's pretty bad at anything that's not this.

The old one (which I also did) got locked due to inactivity, and never went on-site (or had any activity for that matter) for months even when I was still active. :\

Anyway, here it is in the new format.

Oh! Of course. Sorry, I misunderstood the question. Yes, this is the analysis for just Little Cup... I reassert that this is Trapinch's only real option IN Little Cup.

Sorry for the confusion.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Easy approval. I've used this Trapinch with success on my own Trick Room team and all the comments look good. Approved.

Hooray. TwT

Er, so now what happens...? ...hm... okay it looks like I have to put in the full-length analysis now; easy, I can just copypasta that from the old thread, it was reasonably well-written. :0

So does someone else change the tag to Copyedting? I think it's kind of outside of my authority. In any case, I'll edit the OP with the full analysis, along with the approvals.

EDIT: Full set write-up added. Ready for Copyediting phase.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just saying you should change the prefix from quality control to copy editing.

Also there is no space between a word and a </p> or <p>. This is what it should look like.

<p>The only way to use Trapinch is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack-- giving strong STAB, a way to deal with Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over his rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum speed (outspeeding everyone but Munchlax tying with min-speed Slowpoke), and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill, even when Trick Room has expired.</p>

All right, I figured out how to do that. Fixed.

Fixed the paragraph tags' spacing issues too.
Ready for grammar check, but... just as an FYI I already got a grammar approval from Snorlaxe on the last incarnation of this thread, from which the current analysis is just copy-pasted. :0 ...although I doubt that counts as one of the approvals I need... better wait for two more just to be safe.

All right, I figured out how to do that. Fixed.

Fixed the paragraph tags' spacing issues too.
Ready for grammar check, but... just as an FYI I already got a grammar approval from Snorlaxe on the last incarnation of this thread, from which the current analysis is just copy-pasted. :0 ...although I doubt that counts as one of the approvals I need... better wait for two more just to be safe.
Sorry for the double-post, I just want to bump this up and make sure it gets seen... :0 So, at this point, should I just wait for people to grammar check it, or should I maybe proactively look for people to check it...?

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Additions in Blue
Removals in Red
Comments in green

[Overview]

<p>Given Trapinch’s combination of impressive Attack, inability to take hits, abysmal speed, and excellent ability in Arena Trap, there’s really only one way to effectively use him: inside of Trick Room. Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and easily KO'(here! here!)ing with its powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and it makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team.</p>

(Wow, awesome overview)

[SET]

evs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only way to use Trapinch is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack-- giving it strong STAB, a way to deal with Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over his rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum speed, allowing it to (outspeeding everythingone but Munchlax while tying with minimum-speed Slowpoke), and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill, even when Trick Room has expired.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it gives Trapinch a somewhat reliable means of recovery given Oran Berry's popularity in the Little Cup, while depriving the likes of Wynaut, Paras, Bronzor, and Munchlax of theirs much-needed Oran Berries. Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover that hold Oran Berry one-on-one, whereo it would otherwise lose to with . On the other hand, Rock Slide complements Trapinch’s STAB Earthquake well, and allows Trapinch to beat Flying-types, most notably Mantyke.</p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack stat and give two extra points in each defense, while the IV spread minimizes recoil from Life Orb recoil and maximizes its speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other than Life Orb, an alternate EV spread of 156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch, resisting its Ice-/Grass-type and Ice-/Water-type weaknesses respectively. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens so that make it easier to get Trapinch may more easily get on the field. Slowpoke can abuse Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used as bait to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch-in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support in the form of Will-O-Wisp and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable. Gastly can Trick Room and explode in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in and start his rampage.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch outside of barring Trick Room-users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrific speed needs all the help it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally though, Cubone is superior to Trapinch at taking Baton Pass Bboosts, and Trapinch functions better in Trick Room than Cubone does. Needless to say, using Trapinch in this fashion requires a different nature and EV spread with max-ed speed and, preferably, a Jolly nature.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful to set up an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of TR, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be your opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponent can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if he / she has it available).</p>

<p>Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but Flail it is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always be wanting instead.</p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned in this analysis, but a Choice Band set it shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the necessity to predict switches. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent-- but it also makes Trapinch much more vulnerable to switch-ins from sweepers like Gastly or Mantyke, who will use the opening to set up a sweep and start screwing you.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is super effective priority anyone who runs Aqua Jet or Ice Shard. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the best Aqua Jets in Little Cup with the capability of OHKOing Trapinch. Totodile will also OHKO Trapinch even with an unboosted Aqua Jet. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Snover with Ice Shard will fall just short of the OHKO, but Life Orb recoil from Quick Attack + Bug Bite or Rock Slide will assure that Snover takes down Trapinch with it. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room, if he wants to come out on top unscathed.</p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky things that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any move Trapinch has other than Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to defensive variants packing an Oran Berry, and Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit more easily with Crunch and Bug Bite, but never goes down easily and can usually deal some threatening damage if it packs multiple offensive moves.</p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any that run a hindering Brave or Sassy as their nature will speed-tie with Trapinch under the effects of Trick Room, and said Munchlax with 0 Speed IVs will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room, and can land a solid 2HKO on even the more defensive spread, with Return. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surfs or Aqua Tails. The only other Pokemon slow enough to speed tie with them is minimum Speed Bonsly, who, while rarely seen, still poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion.</p>

Great write-up, man. And I don't say that to everybody =P. Just some extra information here and there..

Hehe, thanks. :P I normally read and re-read my stuff repeatedly to iron out or re-word stuff I don't like about it, so I take great pride in it. It's nice to be appreciated~
And Trapinch is the single Pokemon that I've done the most work on. :0 It should darn well be well-written, considering that this is probably the only representation of my work that will ever be uploaded to Smogon... for this generation, anyway. (We'll see about 5th Gen.)

Narcissism aside... fixed stuff as suggested.
(EDIT: thanks, Snorlaxe... go for it.)

A few small things I did differently from your suggestion:
- made 'somewhat reliable' into 'somewhat-reliable'. Is that incorrect or anything, or is it fine like that? :0
- 'Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover that hold Oran Berry one-on-one, where it would otherwise lose to with.' doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I changed it to 'Bug Bite + Quick Attack allows Trapinch to beat Snover variants holding an Oran Berry one-on-one, something it can't otherwise accomplish.' Is that maybe a little clearer?
- regarding Munchlax in the Counters section, I changed 'hindering' to 'speed-hindering' on the part about natures, as it's very important to specify that.
- also Munchlax: 'can land a solid 2HKO on even the more defensive spread with Return'-- I don't think it's necessary to stress this even if it is true, since being offensive is Trapinch's number one priority; it's not an exceptionally bulky Pokemon, the remaining EVs are really only defensive because there's literally nothing else to put them into. :0 If this is really important enough to say, I can change it, but I don't think it's necessary.

Anyway, thanks for the grammar check. :3

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
A few small things I did differently from your suggestion:
- made 'somewhat reliable' into 'somewhat-reliable'. Is that incorrect or anything, or is it fine like that? :0
Medon't think so, but Snorlaxe will have to have to show us, now won't he? =]
- 'Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover that hold Oran Berry one-on-one, where it would otherwise lose to with.' doesn't make a great deal of sense to me. I changed it to 'Bug Bite + Quick Attack allows Trapinch to beat Snover variants holding an Oran Berry one-on-one, something it can't otherwise accomplish.' Is that maybe a little clearer?
Woops, meant to write where it wouldn't with Rock Slide, but then I realized Rock Slide has more base power than Bug Bite and wanted to red the whole sentence; as Rock Slide is really the only other option you show. Must have slipped my mind, sorry.
- regarding Munchlax in the Counters section, I changed 'hindering' to 'speed-hindering' on the part about natures, as it's very important to specify that.
Okie-dokie, sounds better =]
- also Munchlax: 'can land a solid 2HKO on even the more defensive spread with Return'-- I don't think it's necessary to stress this even if it is true, since being offensive is Trapinch's number one priority; it's not an exceptionally bulky Pokemon, the remaining EVs are really only defensive because there's literally nothing else to put them into. :0 If this is really important enough to say, I can change it, but I don't think it's necessary.
Munchlax can ohko the offensive spread of Trapinch, guaranteed after 3 turns of Life orb recoil (3hp). So I thought you meant the defensive spread, otherwise, the sentence sounds a bit.. underemphasized on Munchlax's threatiness.. btw, i was referring to the "156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used" spread, not the 2 points in defense on the "offensive" one =P

If it's a chance of a OHKO on the Life Orb spread at full health, then I should just say that. Otherwise, I should just specify that 'Munchlax can land a solid 2HKO on Trapinch at full health'. :0 Life Orb is really the preferred item for the extra power, so it's more advisable to use that spread (because it's more advisable to use Life Orb) anyway.

....wait so does that count as one? :0 Just making sure. You're a GP team member, so... I guess it does...?

EDIT: Ack, apparently not. D: Sorry, but.... how was I to know that...?! =___= *sigh* Fixed...

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is what a proper gp check looks like
lol

GP CHECK 1/2

delete
add

[Overview]

<p>Given Trapinch’s combination of impressive Attack, inability to take hits, abysmal speed, and excellent ability in Arena Trap, there’s really only one way to effectively use him: inside of Trick Room. On the one hand, Trapinch possesses impressive Attack and an excellent ability in Arena Trap; on the other hand, its Speed is abysmal and it's unable to take hits at all. Given all this, there's really only one way for Trapinch to shine: inside of a Trick Room; Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and easily KOing with its powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and it makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only way to use Trapinch effectively is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack- giving it a strong STAB, a way to deal with Levitating Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority respectively. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over his its rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum Speed, allowing it to outspeed everything but Munchlax and tie with minimum-Speed Slowpoke, and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill, even when Trick Room has expired.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it gives Trapinch a somewhat-reliable means of recovery given Oran Berry's popularity in Little Cup, while depriving deprives the likes of Wynaut, Paras, Bronzor, and Munchlax of their Oran Berry, while giving Trapinch a somewhat-reliable means of recovery theirs. Bug Bite + Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Snover variants holding Oran Berry one-on-one, something it cannot accomplish otherwise. On the other hand, Rock Slide complements Trapinch’s Ground-type STAB very well, and allows Trapinch to beat common Flying-types, most notably Mantyke.</p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack stat and give two extra points in each defense stat, while the IV spread minimizes Life Orb recoil and maximizes its Speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other than Life Orb, an alternate alternative EV spread of 156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch, resisting its Ice-/Grass-type and Ice-/Water-type weaknesses respectively. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens so that to help Trapinch can get on the field more easily. Slowpoke can abuse is also adept at abusing Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support with useful moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Taunt, and Disable in the form of Will-O-Wisp and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable. Gastly can Trick Room and Explode in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in and start his its rampage.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch outside of Trick Room users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrific Speed needs all the help boosts it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally though, Cubone is the superior to Trapinch at taking Baton Pass recipient Boosts, and while Trapinch functions better in under Trick Room than Cubone does. Needless to say, using Trapinch in this fashion requires a different nature and EV spread with maxed Speed and, preferably, a Jolly nature.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful to set up as an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of Trick Room TR, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be your opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponent can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if he / she has they have it available).</p>

<p>Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but it is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always want instead.</p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned on this set in this analysis, but it shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the need necessity to predict switches. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent;-- but it also makes Trapinch much more vulnerable to switch ins from sweepers like Gastly or Mantyke, however, who will use the opening to set up a sweep and start pummeling screwing you.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is strong, super effective priority. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the best Aqua Jets in Little Cup, with the capability of OHKOing Trapinch. Totodile will also OHKO Trapinch, even with an unboosted Aqua Jet. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Snover's with Ice Shard will fall just short of the OHKO, but Life Orb recoil from Quick Attack + Bug Bite or Rock Slide will assure ensure Trapinch's demise that Snover takes down Trapinch with it. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room if he it wants to come out on top.</p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky things Pokemon that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any of Trapinch's moves, except for move Trapinch has other than Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to defensive variants packing an Oran Berry. and In return, Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit more easily with Crunch and Bug Bite, but it never goes down easily and can usually deal some threatening crippling damage if it packs offensive moves.</p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some Speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any variants that run a Speed-hindering as their nature will Speed tie with Trapinch under the effects of Trick Room, and said Munchlax with 0 Speed IVs will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room, and can land a solid 2HKO with Return. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also Speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surf or Aqua Tail. The only other Pokemon slow enough to Speed tie with them is minimum Speed Bonsly, who while though rarely seen, it still poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion.</p>

you kept switching between 'he' and 'it' so i changed it all to 'it'
remember in most instances 'Speed' is capitalized
otherwise a nice write-up

your opponent can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if he / she has they have it available).</p>
I know for a fact that it's incorrect grammar to say 'they' when you're referring to a single person. However, I realize that the 'he/she' thing is kind of awkward to read, so I instead changed it to:
your opponents can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if they have it available).</p>
Fixed everything else. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the check.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
GP CHECK 2/2

pink is grammar edits
blue is prose edits

[Overview]

<p>On one hand, Trapinch possesses impressive Attack and an excellent ability in Arena Trap; on the other hand, its Speed is abysmal and it's unable to take hits at all. Given all this, there's really only one way for Trapinch to shine: inside of Trick Room. Under its effects, Trapinch essentially becomes Diglett on steroids, trapping foes and easily KOing with its powerful attacks. Despite a fundamentally shallow movepool, this humble little termite can be a real force to be reckoned with under the right conditions, and makes an excellent offensive addition to any Trick Room team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The only way to use Trapinch effectively is with the effects of Trick Room in play. The vital tools in Trapinch’s arsenal are Earthquake, Crunch, and Quick Attack, giving it a strong STAB, a way to deal with Levitating Ghosts, and an answer to opposing priority, respectively. With the given moves and stat spread, Trapinch has a few key advantages over its rival Ground-type Trick Room sweeper, Cubone: the ability to keep opponents from switching with Arena Trap, a lower minimum Speed stat, allowing it to outspeed everything but Munchlax and tie with minimum-Speed Slowpoke, and access to a priority attack, making it harder to revenge-kill when Trick Room has expired.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Trapinch’s last moveslot comes down to a number of filler options. Bug Bite is probably the best of these, as it deprives the likes of Wynaut, Paras, Bronzor, and Munchlax of their Oran Berry while giving Trapinch a somewhat-reliable means of recovery. A combination of Bug Bite and Quick Attack also allows Trapinch to beat Oran Berry Snover one-on-one, something it cannot accomplish otherwise. On the other hand, Rock Slide complements Trapinch’s Ground-type STAB very well, and allows Trapinch to beat common Flying-types, most notably Mantyke.</p>

<p>The EVs listed max out Trapinch’s Attack stat and give two extra points in each defense stat, while the IV spread minimizes Life Orb recoil and maximizes Trapinch's Speed under Trick Room. If you opt for an item other than Life Orb, an alternative EV spread of 156 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD with full HP IVs can be used.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Bronzor and Slowpoke make excellent teammates for Trapinch, resisting its Ice-/Grass-type and Ice-/Water-type weaknesses, respectively. In addition to setting up Trick Room for Trapinch’s sweep, Bronzor can also run dual screens so that Trapinch can switch in more easily. Slowpoke can abuse Trick Room’s effects as well as Trapinch can, and after setting up can be used to lure Electric-type attacks that will give Trapinch a free switch-in. Duskull can set up Trick Room while providing support in the form of Will-O-Wisp (and possibly moves like Taunt and Disable). Gastly can set up Trick Room and utilize Explosion in order to give Trapinch a free turn to switch in and start its rampage.</p>

<p>The best teammates for Trapinch outside of Trick Room users are Baton Passers who can relay an Agility or Rock Polish boost, like Gligar, or to a lesser extent, Spinarak. If possible, it's best to get in an extra Rock Polish / Agility or two, since Trapinch's horrific Speed needs all the help it can get if you decide to go that route. Generally though, Cubone is superior to Trapinch at receiving Baton Pass boosts, and Trapinch functions better in Trick Room than Cubone does. Needless to say, using Trapinch in this fashion requires a different nature and EV spread with maxed Speed and, preferably, a Jolly nature.</p>

[Optional Changes]

<p>Substitute is useful as an added buffer to extend Trapinch’s sweep beyond the duration of Trick Room, but it can be difficult to set up since Arena Trap prevents the switches that would normally be Trapinch's opening to do so. Your only hope of getting a Substitute up is dependent upon your opponent using a non-attacking move (such as Protect, which your opponents can and will use to stall out your Trick Room turns if they have it available). Flail is an option that can be run on sets that don't use Life Orb, but it is illegal with Quick Attack, which you'll almost always want instead.</p>

<p>Choice Band was not mentioned
on this set, but it shows some promise, since Arena Trap negates the need to predict switches. A Banded Trapinch can switch in on Choice-locked Electric-type attacks with impunity, and the Attack boost also makes Quick Attack that much more potent; it also makes Trapinch much more vulnerable to Gastly and Mantyke switch-ins, however, who will use the opening to set up a sweep and start pummeling Trapinch.</p>

[Counters]

<p>The most significant threat to Trapinch’s sweep is strong, super effective priority. Carvahna is particularly scary, packing one of the most powerful Aqua Jets in Little Cup, capable of OHKOing Trapinch. Totodile will also OHKO Trapinch, even with an unboosted Aqua Jet. Squirtle can tank Trapinch’s hits and 2HKO with Aqua Jet easily. Snover's Ice Shard will fall just short of the OHKO, but Life Orb recoil from Quick Attack + Bug Bite or Rock Slide will ensure Trapinch's demise. Croagunk, Stunky, and Houndour, while weak to Earthquake, can easily pick off a weakened Trapinch with Sucker Punch outside of Trick Room. If Trapinch is ever going up against any of these Pokemon, it needs to have them in KO range of its Quick Attack while in Trick Room if it wants to come out on top.</p>

<p>Other threats that Trapinch will have problems with are bulky Pokemon that it can't hit super effectively, namely Gligar and Bronzor. Even non-defensive Gligar aren't bothered by any of Trapinch's moves, except for Bug Bite, which only provides an annoyance to variants packing Oran Berry. In return, Gligar can easily wipe out Trapinch with Aqua Tail. Bronzor can be handled a bit more easily with Crunch and Bug Bite, but it never goes down easily and can usually deal some crippling damage if it packs offensive moves.</p>

<p>Inside of Trick Room, Trapinch has some Speed issues with a few key foes. Munchlax is a pretty serious threat; any variants that run a Speed-hindering nature will Speed tie with Trapinch, and said Munchlax with 0 Speed IVs will always outspeed Trapinch in Trick Room and can land a solid 2HKO with Return. Minimum Speed Slowpoke will also Speed tie with Trapinch, and can threaten it with STAB Surf or Aqua Tail. The only other Pokemon slow enough to Speed tie is minimum Speed Bonsly; though rarely seen, it still poses a threat with Sucker Punch and Explosion.</p>
some issues, but nothing too major; you were a little comma-crazy in places imo so i tried to remove any uneccessary commas to make the analysis less choppy overall. solid analysis otherwise

I do tend to get a little comma-happy, hahaha~

Alright, changes made, I believe it's ready to go. Changing status to done, unless anyone tells me otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)