Traping Uturns

-----------------------TEAM OVERVIEW---------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team Objective: Cause and prevent switching.

Persian (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Hypnosis
- Bite
- Fake Out

My starter usually lead with Hypnosis, then U-turn to a Pokemon depending on what they switch or leave out. I'm really pleased with Persian so far.

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash

My first trapper. Pretty standard really. Nigh Slash for ghost, Aerial Ace for Breloom/Heracross, Stone Edge for flyers, Earthquake for anything else.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP/84 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Steel trapper, mainly Skarmory/Bronzong. I'm really not sure about Hidden Power, thinking I should switch to Grass.

Tentacruel (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 204 HP/36 Spd/96 SAtk/172 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Gets rid of Toxic Spikes and sets them up. Provides rapid spin support and attack options.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP/252 Def/108 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Ice Beam

Helps provide team healing. Also helps stall with protect. I wasn't sure if anymore Sdef EVs were needed.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- U-turn
- Yawn
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

A 2nd Sleeper/U-turner. Also helps take hits on the defense end. Replaced Thunderbolt with Stealth Rock.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, I think I faced you if I'm not mistaken.

I'd use Magnezone over Probopass for sure, because Probopass was basically dead-weight against me.

Persian >>>>>>>> Purugly. Persian gets Technician, something that is beneficial for a Persian moveset. U-Turn / Hypnosis strategy still works and you can even gain a bit from using Bite and Return. AND Persian is faster than Purugly.

Wish support is needed on this team, so I recommend it. Vaporeon might not do so bad in this team.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Purugly wants Shadow Claw over Shadow Ball, as it works off his higher Attack stat. I'd probably just lump the HP EVs over to Atk as Purugly's Atk needs all the help it can get. It's his main advantage over Persian so you may as well utilise it. Change the ability to Thick Fat too; it'll be much more useful.

Probopass will struggle to remove Skarmory...Thunderbolt fails to KO and Skarm can repeatedly Roost it off and Whirlwind when he's ready. One way to fix this would be to use Thunder...it OHKO's and will paralyse if he tries to stall. The other option is Taunt, which is a generally useful move and could probably go over that weak Explosion. Unfortunately, he also has no way to take Bronzong down and will succumb to Earthquake due to his lack of Magnet Rise. Magnezone on the other hand can take them both on with no problem. Far be it from me to quash creativity, but if Probopass' role is solely to trap Skarm/Bronzong then you're using an inferior product.

I'm a bit worried about what Scarfchomp does to this team...he can OHKO every single member other than Uxie who can't even harm him. I'd go ahead and upgrade Uxie to Cresselia.

Drop Duggys speed down to 363 and put the remaining EV's in Def as this all but guarantees survival against Life Orb Adamant Lucario's unboosted Extremespeed (in fact, it does 85.31% - 100.47%...you'll need to take 4 EV's out of Attack to actually make sure). The speed drop is only really noticable against Jolly DDTar (364). The only other 120's are 'Zam and Sceptile...'Zam is taken by Sucker Punch and you have no business in there with Sceptile anyway.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
As Lee said, I second the usage of Shadow Claw over Shadow Ball for Purugly as you have a higher final stat for it. Just max out Atk stat. Don't worry about its HP as it isn't going to take any hits soon.

You want Sucker Punch on Dugtrio to take down anything faster than it, tied in speed or any pokemon with a priority attack.

Magnezone does the same job as what your Propobass is supposed to do, except a lot more effectively. The only thing it probably can't do is set Stealth Rocks but can easily set up a Substitute and take down two Pokemons in the process.

Actually, just expanding on your threats, Gyarados is also one of them, so in this case, Mesprit would be better as it can OHKO both Gyarados and Garchomp. For your team, I would go with something along this set;

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SAtk
~ Ice Beam
~ Thunderbolt
~ Sleep Talk
~ Rest

This set can OHKO Garchomp and Gyarados' no worries, unless it has Yache Berry/Electric-resist berry. It can also serve as your tank and status absorber, which you lack.

As others have posted, I would strongly recommend going with Persian over Purugly. You can still basically run the same set in:
-Hypnosis
-Return
-Night Slash
-U-Turn
Except with more speed and slightly less attack.

And yes, Magnezone fulfills the same role of Probopass just better. It'd be one thing if you were playing UU but you might as well just go with the best poke that fills the slot. Magnezone can easily setup on Bronzong due to its faster magnet rise and can then proceed to eliminated and possibly take something else out along the way.

Uxie really isn't cutting it when it comes to Chomp. You're basically out of options if you run into a Jolly Scarfchomp seeing as it will outspeed your Mence. A bold max defense Cress with Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Rest/Sleep Talk would do nicely in protecting you from Gyara and other dragons. Again, if you want something less used, I've found that a bulky Porygon2 does work although you are going to have to watch out for Draco Meteors.

Purugly wants Shadow Claw over Shadow Ball, as it works off his higher Attack stat.
I so thought I had Claw instead of Ball lol. Anyway I'm going to be switching it out for a Persian. Also chancing Probopass for Meganezone.

travisurfer said:
U-Turn gets boosted by Technician so thats a major plus.
since when?

Thanks for your help everyone.

honestly i'd rather crobat over persian, since your team's best switch on heracross is currently tentacruel's who's toxic spikes are boosting him to scary levels of happiness. scarf outspeeds duggy of course and will kill with everything except se.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)