Trick Room Discussion

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Finally a tier where the huge offenders live in, RU is much nicer to Trick Room than OU (or even UU) is. My play style is pretty simple. Get Trick Room up. Let the setters die if needed. Spam high powered moves. Clean with Marowak. Now, I don't have that much experience with RU yet, but let's look at some setters.

Cresselia (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef etc.
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Psychic / Moonlight / etc.

She's pretty good, having tons of bulk and great support moves. This variant here sets up screens for everything to switch in after Room is up. Weakness to Bug is a problem, as is the lack of any offensive capability. Luckily weather isn't too big, so Moonlight can provide recovery. Hates Taunt, like always.

Klinklang @ Leftovers
Trait: Plus
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Volt Switch
- Metal Sound
- Flash Cannon / filler

Klinklang is very interesting, as it is pretty much the only Trick Room user that resists Bug-, Dark-, and Ghost-type moves. Since this metagame isn't riddled with Excadrill EQ spam, it actually has great use. Volt Switch is great for getting stuff in and scouting, especially if the opponent switches. Metal Sound is really filler, but may force a switch or something. The last moveslot is rather barren, so go with whatever you need, I'd say. Flash Cannon is STAB but off of that Special Attack it's meh. But at least is can do something to Taunt then!

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait:
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Ice Punch / etc.
- Will-O-Wisp

Dusknoir provides a nice Bug-type resist to the team, and is really bulky!! Since it has decent attack, Shadow Sneak is there for priority, which is pretty huge in Trick Room. Ice Punch is mainly a filler attack to hit Rhyperior a bit maybe? Will-O-Wisp, of course, should be used first to turn physical attackers into fodder.

Claydol!! Others. I'm blanking.

Now, I'm really truly interested in the abusers.

Marowak @ Thick Club
accessories
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Low Kick / Double Edge

Bam. 568 attack. And it could take Garchomp's +2 DClaw back in the day. A Trick Room favorite. After all the obstacles are sufficiently weakened, Earthquake tears through everything. For those unfortunate flyers and Bugs, Stone Edge!! (I saw a Mandibuzz and Eviolite Golbat today, they were quickly taken care of). Since there's not Skarmory or Bronzong, Fire Punch is less useful. It still takes care of frail Ice-types (Jynx, or something) when you don't want Stone Edge to miss. Low Kick provides the best super effective coverage (Regigigas!!), but Rock Head Double Edge is pretty cool too. Although there's not Gliscor to hit, so I supposed it isn't as good. Drawbacks include poorer Special Defense.

Rampardos @ Wide Lens
accessories
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Hammer Arm

My favorite ever. Head Smash. Everything. It 2HKOes everything. Earthquake is for Rhyperior and Steelix (I guess), who unfortunately are not everything. Fire Punch provides coverage similar to Marowak's. Hammer Arm is powerful for Normals and stuff, but really, just Head Smash. Wide Lens is sort of a gimmicky item, but it's nice having an accurate Head Smash. Really. CB is so powerful that it can OHKO Impish Skarm after Rocks (OU reffs again!!), but when you miss you're dead. Unfortunately, Rampardos won't be taking many hits. Sharpedo with Aqua Jet is annoying.

Zwelious
Eviolite Hustle Outrage is crazy good.

I'll write some more, but in the mean time, ready....:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you should mention beheeyem, it can both set and abuse trick room very well, basically a mini-reuniclus.

no. you should mention DUOSION. it IS a mini reuniclus.

i personally dont see trick room working as well as it does in Ou because RU pokemon arent blazingly fast (except those odd rain teams and speed boost pokes)

Rhyperior and Aggron deserve mentions, as they play similar roles to Marowak and Rampardos, respectively. Druddigon is also another dragon that works well on Trick Room teams (Trick Room double Dragon can be pretty fun).

Slowking can set Trick Room and try to sweep with Nasty Plot.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

i personally dont see trick room working as well as it does in Ou because RU pokemon arent blazingly fast (except those odd rain teams and speed boost pokes)

Duosion needs eviolite to take a hit, while beheeyem can abuse life orb

Zweilous is great. strongest Outrage in the game so its only real problem is lack of speed and bulk which TR solves to an extent. TR is harder to set up in the tier with all the bugs and stalling so may seem outclassed by rain and sun as speed boosting weather effects. The fact that things are slower in RU shouldnt mattter considering nothing is much slower than a speed decreasing nature, 0 IV, 0 Speed Pokemon with low base speed besides something like Ferroseed that shouldnt threaten tr teams too much anyway.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Zweilous is great. strongest Outrage in the game so its only real problem is lack of speed and bulk which TR solves to an extent. TR is harder to set up in the tier with all the bugs and stalling so may seem outclassed by rain and sun as speed boosting weather effects. The fact that things are slower in RU shouldnt mattter considering nothing is much slower than a speed decreasing nature, 0 IV, 0 Speed Pokemon with low base speed besides something like Ferroseed that shouldnt threaten tr teams too much anyway.

I agree that zwelious is amazing, trick room is a cool niche for it. especially with that meaty attack of his.

Hmm, first off wouldn't Gear Grind be a generally better option on Klinklang? It has the capacity to break subs, 20 more BP than Flash Cannon overall (50*2>80), and is coming from a higher base stat anywho. Moving on, I've played around with TR for a little bit, and it's quite an interesting option. As far as set-up pokes, I've found that Mesprit and Audino are both quite effective pokes. Mesprit is generally bulky, is slightly slower than Uxie, and can abuse SR, U-Turn, Knock Off, Magic Coat, etc. Audino also is quite bulky, especially with Regenerator, and can also learn a variety of clerical moves (Wish, Heal Bell, and such). On an offensive front, both Cofragrigus and Beheeyem can both set TR and sweep with either NP or CM. Also, on a more obscure note, Druddigon is quite the b0$$ in TR, with his abysmal speed, nice attack and awesome Dragon stab. I've tried both CB and Hone Claws, and both put holes in most teams. Just my two cents, though I believe I likely missed a couple points I might've wanted to mention.

I think Solrock is a long-forgotten setter of Trick Room that has one advantage over all the others, which is a decently powerful Explosion (even with the explosion nerf) that gives your sweepers a safe switch in. It can lead with stealth rock as well which can give your team some useful hazard support.

Solrock @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
Brave / Levitate

Stealth Rock
Trick Room
Explosion
Stone Edge/filler

Decent offensive lead, and will give you the edge vs. defensive teams that aim to spin your rocks away (since you're likely exploding on their spinner, they can't actually spin rocks away, and your sweeper can go in and threaten the team more directly).

I must mention Gallade!

Gallade @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/192 Att/64 Def
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut/Night Slash/X-Scissor
- Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Leaf Blade

Trick Room solves all of Gallade's speed problems, with a Brave Nature, and 0 Speed IVs, Gallade reaches 148 Speed, which is low enough to outspeed fast foes, and a few walls. Gallade has a unique niche with Trick Room, because it's the only fighting type to learn it. Not only that, but Gallade can both support its team, and even sweep with Trick Room, given his high attack. Gallade is both a Trick Room set up, and an attacker in one. It also has lots of surprise value.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I'm really excited since there are tons of viable setters and sweepers. Definitely Druddigon, since Steel-type are lacking.
Another user is Banette, which works well as a suicide (against attacking leads) and has a decent 115 base Attack to hit stuff with.

Banette @ Focus Sash
accessories (probably 252 Atk and 252 SpA Brave)
-TR
-Magic Coat
-Destiny Bond
-filler attack such as STAB Shadow Sneak, Sucker Punch, etc.

The optimal situation is you set up TR while you are hit to your sash. Then, you DBond for the KO and bring in a frail sweeper such as Rampardos in. Magic Coat reflects those Taunts and Stealth Rocks, but it almost too prediction heavy that I usually don't use it. A filler attack, SS especially, is useful for picking off weak foes if you don't suicide Banette. Unfortunately, this fails when the opponent doesn't focus around attacking.

Sharpedo is another interesting mon.
Sharpedo @ Life Orb
accessories (mixed or not, standard spread with Speed)
-Protect
-Waterfall / Hydro Pump
-Crunch / Dark Pulse
-Aqua Jet / Earthquake / more coverage

It may seem odd to be using a Speed Boost Pokemon, but Sharpedo is a nice insurance in case you can't get Trick Room up safely or need to revenge kill. Furthermore, with Protect, it can stall out your own Trick Room turns to make sure it isn't outsped. From there, it can clean up weakened teams as Speed Boost makes Sharpedo faster and faster, with the variety of moves it have access to. Waterfall/HPump are STAB, as are Crunch/Dark Pulse. The last moveslot is coverage.

I guess it's time to bump this thread. As many people know I've been using a tr team on the last few days and got to top 10 many times (I know it isn't an amazing thing but it proves the team is at least viable).

I'm using Uxie as a pure supporter and it can usually get tr up twice, usually early and mid game (because I end up saccing it late game to give free switches for the cleaners).

Then I'm using two Pokemon that set up and abuse tr: Gallade and Slowking. They are bulky enough to take a hit (slowking can usually take multiple hits) and then destroy. Offensive Trick Room did surprise me because even with Leftovers it sweeps many teams with just Surf / Psyshock / Fire Blast. Gallade is a little more disappointing because there are better physicall walls out there and it can't break them.

The two pure abusers are: the obvious Marowak that often gets two kills thanks to Earthquake and Double Edge alone; the amazing Choice Band Aggron, which often breaks the opponent's walls with its Head Smash. Marowak has a chance of sweeping but it needs some Pokemon such as Uxie, Claydol, Gligar, and Rotom weakened first, which is something Aggron loves to do.

Finally I'm using one of the best Scarfers in RU now aka Scarf Braviary. It's used mid-game to pivot with U-turn and late-game to sweep once tr is over. It's good at its job even though I'd rather have a recoil-free STAB attack as its main move.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone tried using Shell Smash Torkoal in Trick Room? It's stupidly slow even after a Shell Smash (it hits like 88 Spe at +2) and has Eruption, which would hit rather hard at +2, and odds are you'd be 'faster' than most other pokes.

Zweilous @ Eviolite
Hustle
252 HP / 252 Att / 4 SpDef
Brave Nature (+Att -Spe)
0 Speed IVs
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Fire Fang
-Thunder Wave/Dragon Tail

Zweilous has the strongest Outrage in the game, has its poor defenses somewhat remedied by Eviolite, and Resists Ghost and Dark for the TR users.

Drudggion can run a simmilar set

Does anyone else see CB Trapinch as a viable revenge killer under TR? A set of EQ/Rock Slide/Crunch/Return sounds like it would be effective, since Trapinch has a respectable base 100 Attack and is one of the "fastest" mons in the tier under TR.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Quick Attack would probably be more useful on it, and iirc, the old gen 4 analysis had soft sand listed instead of Choice Band, since CB EQ is just asking for a flying poke to come in, and set up, or whatever.

I've used TR in NU with fairly good success. My set up pokes are: Mesprit, Exegcutor (Sleep Powder helps a lot) and Banette. Sweepers are Ursaring and Rampardos. Seriously, Guts Ursaring is the most effective sweeper. STAB Facade (effectively a 210 BP move while poisoned) coming off a 591 Attack rapes anything that doesn't resist it. Close Combat, Crunch and Earthquake/Swords Dance give him perfect coverage.

Rampardos Mold Breaker helps a lot too against Rotom-A and Sturdy pokes. I use LO and Stone Edge just because I can usually get him a second chance. BTW, you should be using 252 Atk 252 Def because his HP is good already and LO is just taking away HP anyways.

uhh, what are the max defense EVs based on? Wouldn't a spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 148 SDef be the most beneficial?

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
Well for Head Smash Rampardos, I run max HP to take the greatest amount of recoil damage possible. But if you aren't using HS, then yes, there are more efficient spreads.

Yes very nice, I have been using Trapinch under trickroom. Used it alot in 4th gen NU.vs.OU and Normal NU. And have recently tried it out in gen 5 and has worked out really effective, With 100 base atk it can Come in on Big threats like Ttar ect AreaTrap them and boom dead.

Trapinch @ ChoiceBand
AreaTrap
252 Att / 252 Att / 4 Def
Adamant (+Att -Spatk)

-EarthQuake
-Crunch
-Rockslide
-Frustration

Trapinch @ Life Orb
AreaTrap
252 Att / 252 Att / 4 Def
Adamant (+Att -Spatk)

-EarthQuake
-Crunch
-Rockslide
-Frustration

THIS. While Duosion is only really good with Eviolite, it has THE SAME SPECIAL ATTACK AS REUNICLUS. Just without the bulk. That part is remedied by Eviolite.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
i dunno why people are forgetting this little fellow

[SET]
name: Smeartroll is strongth
move1: Trick Room
move2: Spore
move3: Endeavor
move4: Dragon rage
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
evs: none
level: one

basic strategy is to set up trick room first turn and spore a Pokemon, now is where the fun starts.......

even if smeargle hasnt been knocked down to its sash, endeavor will cripple ANY pokemon to the point where dragon rage can finish it off.

if the opponent doesnt have a ghost or snover, smeargle can devastate a team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)