VGC Trick Room Porteño

Hello there. So, this week Nintendo finally aknowleged Argentina as a country and we have Premier tournaments with which we can earn an invitation to the world cup.
So without further ado, here's the team. I didn't actually try to use unusual Pokémon, but I find it to be an asset rather than a drawback (you don't know how many people forget Slowking is immune to Taunt)

The things I'm most doubtful about are Chandelure's existance, and Slowking's last move. Scald, Ice Beam, Trick Room, and then between Psychic, Fire Blast or Disable. I picked Disable because if I can't OHKO a Pokémon in that turn, I want to be able to incapacitate it so my other Pokémon can kill it in the next turn. It also helps prevent random Burns headed to Mawile and Malamar that can't be blocked on the second turn.

Malamar @ Lum Berry

Ability: Contrary

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Brave Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

• Psycho Cut

• Night Slash

• Superpower

• Trick Room
Malamar is one of the TR setters. It is surprisingly bulky, absorbs status and benefits from Intimidate and King's Shield. It can get very strong with a few Superpowers and has excellent coverage.

Mawile @ Mawilite Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD

Brave Nature

• Play Rough

• Iron Head

• Rock Slide

• Protect
The physical mega. It helps set TR thanks to Intimidate, and has two strong STABS that nail common picks like Gardevoir, Garchomp, Salamence, etc. Rock Slide for spread and for Talonflame and Charizard. Can be switched out for Chandelure if I predict a fire move.

Ursaring @ Flame Orb

Ability: Guts

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Brave Nature

• Facade

• Hammer Arm

• Rock Slide

• Protect
Ursaring hits like a truck, OHKOing Rotom and Amoonguss (and anything squishier than that) with Facade. Hammer Arm covers steel and rock types, and Rock Slide, again, for spread and OHKOing Charizard, Talonflame, among others. Also Ursaring is immune to status thanks to its ability, and can be a great check to common sleepers like Amoonguss, Smeargle, Venusaur, etc.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite

Ability: Static

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Quiet Nature

• Thunderbolt

• Dragon Pulse

• Focus Blast

• Protect
Mega Ampharos, while not a teamplayer, hits very hard from the special side, and has nearly unresisted coverage. Thunderbolt nails common picks like Talonflame, Charizard, Gyarados and Azumarill, while Dragon Pulse takes care of Garchomp and Salamence. Focus Blast is there for overall coverage, hitting 5 types super effectively.

Slowking @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Oblivious

Shiny: Yes

Quiet Nature

• Scald

• Disable

• Ice Beam

• Trick Room
Good ol' Slowking. Scald for STAB, Ice Beam for Grass and Dragons, and Disable to prevent enemies from repeating attacks after setting up Trick Room. In the second turn, enemies usually Protect or repeat their last attack because my other Pokémon protected last turn, so this is can make an enemy miss a crucial attack twice in a row. Oblivious makes Slowking immune to Taunt, and Sitrus Berry makes him be able to take a beating before setting up TR.

Chandelure @ Focus Sash

Ability: Flash Fire

Quiet Nature

• Heat Wave

• Shadow Ball

• Protect

• Trick Room
Mixed feelings here. Chandelure hits like a truck, no doubt about it. Ghost and Fire are great offensive types, and Heat Wave hits both enemies and can burn. Chandelure is also immune to Fake Out from anyone not named Kangaskhan, and he can just protect if it comes to that. Still, he's very squishy and can't take any super effective hits, which are very common (Surf, EQ, Rock Slide, Shadow Ball, Sucker Punch, etc.)

The biggest flaws I find in my team is that I have 3 ground weaknesses, and 2 of my TR setters are weak to Dark and Ghost. Also my team lacks any form of priority attack. I've lost matches against 1HP Pokémon because my TR got stalled out and ran out in the last turn. My Pokémon rely on bulkyness to be able to do anything outside of TR, which is not always desireable.

Please tell me what you think!

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
Ok so here's what I think. This is a solid TR team however Chandelure does not need to be here. You do need priority which is why I would switch Chandelure for Talonflame. Talonflame is good in TR since it gets priority Brave Bird and it works well out of TR for the same reason. It also gives you a ground immunity. I'd give it the Life Orb and go for a 252+Attack/252Speed EV Spread unless there is a better one. Since you are taking away a fire type; I'd then suggest taking away Disable on Slowking and replacing it with Fire Blast. It is very helpful against Ferrothorn, a main threat to a lot of TR teams.

Ok so here's what I think. This is a solid TR team however Chandelure does not need to be here. You do need priority which is why I would switch Chandelure for Talonflame. Talonflame is good in TR since it gets priority Brave Bird and it works well out of TR for the same reason. It also gives you a ground immunity. I'd give it the Life Orb and go for a 252+Attack/252Speed EV Spread unless there is a better one. Since you are taking away a fire type; I'd then suggest taking away Disable on Slowking and replacing it with Fire Blast. It is very helpful against Ferrothorn, a main threat to a lot of TR teams.
Thanks for the reply!
The thing is, if I replace Chandelure with Talonflame, I'd be forced to use Malamar and Slowking in all matches, because I'd only have 2 TR setters. That might be undesireable in certain situations, wouldn't it?
Also, I was wondering whether I should take away some Attack EVs from Malamar and put them in Special Defense to survive longer turn 1.

GiraGoomy

when you see a good meme
In my opinion, three Trick Room setters are too many. If you bring only one TR setter than you can beat for example 3 Pokemon in those 4 turns and then beat the last one with whatever you have left. Also since I've never had any experience with Malamar, I wouldn't be able to give you a better spread. I feel you'd be fearing damage on the physical side compared to the special side, but that's just me.

You should definitely not be running every thing on your team with min speed. While it may seem good since you can get the most out of Trick Room, if someone manages to prevent your Trick Room or stall it out after killing your setter, it will be hard for you to win since everything will be outspeeding you. I really don't know what to replace right now but I wanted to say that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)