Other Triples: A Song of Ice and Fire

Hello Smogon Triples!

I anted to share this team on RMT even though I don't really expect any suggestions, as the format is like really young. But who knows? This might be interesting for a couple of people...

So the whole point of the team was to be able to use Mega Abomasnow to sweep the entire opposing team. But Abomasnow is terribly weak on a defensive stand, so that was a teambuilding challenge that felt fun to accept!

So first, we have the main man/mon: Abomasnow. Little buddy here is able to deal huge amounts of damage to anything that moves with Blizzard under Hail (I feel like he 2HKO anything not resisting it, apart from Cresselia...). He can also work like really well under Trick Room (with 0 speed IVs, just in case). There isn't much to say about him, the set is pretty standard, Blizzard is the move I use like 99% of the time, Ice shard if in the end there's a poor and lonely Grass-typed mon standing in front of you and you want priority, Wood Hammer is just there for coverage and Protect is Protect, saves you a turn while the teammates cripple things that threatens our yeti.

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Wood Hammer
- Protect
- Ice Shard​

Togetic
Heatran, Rotom-Wash, Garchomp
Klefki, Garchomp
Garchomp, Heatran, Rotom-Wash
Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Klefki
Kleki, Heatran, Togetic
Klefki, Heatran, Garchomp

So now we need to protect this awful beast from it's seven (!) weaknesses. Clearly, dealing with each weakness one by one is gonna be really tough and we might end up a team with one sweeper and five support. So let's go for general protection. Klefki can set up screens for the entire team, so it's not a bad idea to hold Abomasnow up. And he has one of the best defensive typings in the game, so he'll wake a great bulky support. Thunder Wave provides a little speed control, although with Abomasnow that slow, it's usually not enough. But it does help for our other sweepers, so it isn't a lost cause. Foul play is mostly there to shoot down funny guys that like to use Taunt and/or Talonflame.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play​

Garchomp, Heatran, Rotom-Wash
Togetic, Rotom-Wash, Abomasnow

We now have team support, let's get some Follow Me/Rage Powder support. I chose Togetic. Togetic has more bulk that Togekiss, but can't go for the Serene Slash play. But that's not a problem, our main sweeper will take care of the opposing team as a whole, so let's not gamble on flinching our opponent, and take an extra Follow Me turn. I needed something to really stick Fighting-type moves, hence Fairy+Flying instead of Amoongus (although I kind of like Amoogus better, generally speaking). Dazzling Dream deals surprising damage to Fighting-type mons, Tailwind is there to complete our speed control over the game, and Roost gives us room for a few extra Follow Me. The EV spread is just there to equalize vulnerability to physical and special attackers.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Follow Me
- Tailwind
- Roost

Abomasnow, Garchomp
Heatran, Garchomp, Rotom-Wash
Garchomp, Klefki
Rotom-Wash, Heatran, Klefki

All that isn't enough, however, to protect Abomasnow from a Heat Wave, we're gonna need more than a Light Screen and Follow Me. And yet, apart from Wide Guard, we can't do much more, and I'm really not keen on adding yet another support mon. So, the only thing we can do is to switch Abomasnow for another mon, and whom better than Heatran to take that blow? He'll also provide us with great coverage to complete Abomasnow's sweeping process. The set is pretty standard, but I like to have Taunt somewhere in the team, you know, just in case. Shuca Berry is mostly there to survive an opposing Heatran's Earth Power while OHKOing it if it doesn't have a Shuca Berry or a Balloon. Oh and btw, awesome response to Mega-Gardevoir in the center.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Heat Wave
- Protect
- Taunt​

Togetic
Abomasnow, Rotom-Wash
Togetic, Rotom-Wash, Abomasnow

That's two special sweepers, and no true response to Char-Y. Garchomp will take care of these two issues. Now I usually like to run Draco Meteor on Mega-Garchomp, but an 80 SpA stat doesn't strike me as a great thing for a powerful STAB. So I chose to go for Dragon Rush, less accurate but significantly more powerful than Dragon Claw. Other than that, Earthquake is one of the best moves in Doubles and Triples. Rock Slide, with a great flinching chance, is also a good move, although I've also been testing Rock Tomb, just to give a hand to the speed control strategy we also run... The EV spread is there to outspeed Char-Y, have max attack and then the rest into bulk.

Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Rush
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect​

Klefki, Heatran, Rotom-Wash
Klefki, Heatran
Heatran, Klefki, Togetic

One more slot left to fill. We already have a little weakness to Fighting-typed moves, and Togetic can't do it all by himself. But a third support Pokemon might be one to much. So, let's go for Rotom-Wash, utility guy! Will-o-Wisp will cripple almost every Fighting-type move using Pokémon (apart from Keldeo), and Hydro Pump+Thunderbolt provides a great coverage. Then again, Electroweb was tested but I preffered to deal damage, as speed control strategy isn't that great considering Abomasnow's abysmal speed. But then again, I guess it's a good option, somehow. The Ev spread is the one from Kyle Cole, it works so well...

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 92 SpA / 124 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Protect​

So that's the team.
Usual leads:
(Like 90% of the time this will do the trick)
(Trick Room and Shadow Tag, mostly)
(Char-Y or Heatran up ahead, although in that cas, replacing Garchomp by Abomasnow and switching it to Heatran on Turn 1 is pretty sweet)

And now a couple of replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-165501738
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-165622757

So that's all folks! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have anything to say that'll improve the team, be my guest!

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey there Moudou! Your team looks pretty solid and has some great synergy. However, it looks like you dont really have any pokemon to straight out get rid of fast fire types. Charizard-y in particular looks like a big threat since it gets rid of your hail and you dont have anything to surely take hits from it outside of Heatran. Additionally, your only pokemon to take care of it is garchomp.
I recommend the use of the following:​

zap brannigan (Thundurus) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect/Taunt​

Thundurus functions well as a special attacker and prankster utility at the same time. While sporting a totally radical hairdo, thundurus also manages to both outspeed and eliminate mega charizard-y. With HP ice, thundurus also eliminates the pesky intimidate-spamming landorus-t and others. Thunder wave also allows thundurus to assist the other attackers of the team by slowing down opponents to help ensure an easier win. Typing also helps provide defensive synergy against flying types for abomasnow.

Code:
Minor Changes:
Dragon Claw > Dragon Rush
Air Ballon > Shuca Berry

Thanks Xzern!

About Thundurus, I do believe that he could take Rotom's place in the team, but there are a few problems that he brings along: a weakness to Rock and Ice type moves, and the loss of Will-o-wisp. That's a shame, with Abomasnow's weakness to Fighting-type moves. But your points are good, so I'll try that switch.

Dragon Claw has a really weak power output, Rush deals significantly more. I've tested Both Air Ballon and Shuca Berry both, and I really like the berry better.

So thanks!

Edit:
This a way to deal with TR:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-165894639
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-166763429
Here's a Rain Team:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-166830350
And this is a way to deal with Char-Y (a bad one though...)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogontriples-165806255

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)