ORAS NU True Survivor

This is the best song in the world.
Anyways, heaya guys, this is ya boy Deeerpz with another RMT. It's been a while since I've done these and to be honest I wasn't gonna do one because I have mostly been creating teams every time I log on showdown nowadays, but this one really grew on me as I took it on a 17-3 streak, which isn't anything special for most people but quite the accomplishment for me.

Teambuilding process:

Always wanted to build around this guy. I mostly see Defog Shiftry on the ladder, and that seems to be the case for most people - at least they don't play around this very well.

Pyroar seemed like a natural fit, adding speed, nice coverage, the ability to break down Bugs and Steel types. He also lures in a lot of the stuff Shiftry sets up on.

He's here for no reason other than me wanting to use him really badly. Haven't built with this bad boy in quite some time and I really enjoy him, so here we go.

This used to be Weezing, and considering I have no spin blocker maybe it still should be, but I enjoy being able to absorb toxic spikes. Also helps wearing down physical samurott. Either way, with 3/3 weak to fighting so far, I needed something to take care of fighting types, and Garbo is that something.

I saw Kiyo use this set and stole it. Gave me a Malamar answer, a Lilligant/Vivillon answer, something to offensively check fighting types, a ground resist in case Shiftry bites the dust. Seemed pretty cool to me.

OK honestly I have what I was thinking here. This should honestly be bulky mismagius or Lanturn, but fuck Lanturn, and Discharge is nice, and not being weak to knockoff is nice too. Also sort of handles Floatzel and shit. I don't know really, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask.

The Team:

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch

Pretty standard swords dance set. You can run Lum Berry here, but I prefer the extra power.

Shiftry is pretty awesome right now imo. He sets up on a lot of slower stuff that is pretty common, and

he hits like a truck. Really my go-to guy for most rock and water types, and he mostly comes in on

predicted psychic moves, rapid spins or defogs. Not much else to say. Dude's a beast.

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Taunt

Again, a pretty standard set bar maybe taunt, which I like in case I play Pyroar as an anti lead or to stop

Audino from constantly wishing. It lures stuff in that Shiftry wants to set up on and dents holes in the

opposing walls, paving the way for an eventual sweep. Good pokemon, and arguably the best fire mon in

the tier right now.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
The rock setter of my choice. I like it because it's a fair mixture of offense and defense and can fulfill

multiple roles depending on the enemy team composition. Priority is always nice, so is STAB earthquake.

Really solid mon in my opinion, as he's just suuuuper versatile. Also sort of my only decent option against

Swellow if Shiftry is dead. Beats Xatu too, which comes in really handy, considering he wants to set up rocks. Sometimes he just sweeps for no reason too. Piloswine is da man.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Toxic Spikes

Super defensive Garbo. People like running speed on this guy, but really, most of the time he's just there

to tank hits and more Def and HP lets me get more Rocky Helmet procs. Other than that, it's a Garbodor,

it checks fighting types and Mega Dino to an extent, it provides spike support and drain punches Steelix,

Rhydon etc on the switchin. A staple in NU, and for a good reason.

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Sleep Talk
A set I stole from Kiyo. No one expects Specs Mesprit, so you can play around predicted switchins and

punch holes in teams. Sleep talk is so my team has an answer to sleep powder, at least I presume that's

what Kiyo put it in for originally. That's what I use it for at least. Solidly checks fighting types offensively,

which the first three guys greatly appreciate. I thought about scarfing this for a while, but the extra

power is really astonishing, so I keep the specs.

Rotom-Fan @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Air Slash
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Super weird set, but for some reason, it works really well in this team. No one predicts you to be SpDef,

so everyone clicks stuff they shouldn't be clicking, and you just start spreading Status and Flinches, while

healing up with Pain Split and Leftovers. It wears down Vileplume handily and helps taking care of water

types if Shiftry is busy doing something else. I know Lanturn would be amazing here, but sometimes that

Earth Quake switchin is good, and another soft fighting check is always handy if half your team takes 2x

damage from fighting types. A spin blocker would be amazing too with my hazard stacking core, but I

found just taunting defogs or coming in with Shiftry to set up Swords Dance to be quite effective

anyways, so I personally don't mind them spending a turn. Either way, I'm assuming this is going to be

the target of many people's changes, but I urge you to try the team a couple of matches before forming

an opinion.

Closing thoughts
This is a pretty fun team because it offers a bit of everything: a set-up sweeper, a fast life orb user, a super strong wallbreaker in Mesprit, two defensive pokemon who function VASTLY differently and then Piloswine who's something in between. It sort of works around the whole idea of luring stuff in with Rotom and Pyroar for Shiftry who's definitely the star of the team, but it has enough offensive backbone to clutch out games even if Shiftry goes down early. It does have some weaknesses; I basically have to predict/sac something most of the time a strong fire type comes in, water types can be iffy too, and normal spam seems like it could be an issue too if I lose Garb too early. Nevertheless I've been VERY successful with this team on the lower ladder (up to ~1400) and even clutched out some wins against players I respect and that are clearly better than me.
Anyways, looking forward to your rates!

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Deeerpz this is definitely a good take on Bulky Offense and while I do think the Rotom Fan is a bit out of place on a team like this, I'll be sure to give good reasoning on how replacing it could make the team more efficient
  • >
    - My first and only real worthwhile suggestion would to try bulky Rotom with a set of Substitute / Hex / Will o Wisp / Discharge over Rotom-Fan. While Rotom-Fan is pretty unique in its typing and movepool, it just hasn't been that effective in the past few months and the recent popularity of Lanturn isn't doing it any favors either. Everything you would want to use Sp def Rotom-f for such as grasses like Lilligant and Vileplume are already handled rather easily by the other members of your team like Pyroar and Piloswine. Substitute Rotom makes a suitable replacement mainly for the utility that the set offers for spike stacking teams like this one. It not only acts as a decent spinblocker but Substitute can help in wearing down the opponents team. Hex also becomes a much powerful tool in breaking down teams if you manage to get down toxic spikes. Finally Discharge helps to spread paralysis around if tspikes haven't been laid down and can also punish switches to fire types like Magmortar and Pyroar who think they can absorb a will-o-wisp.
Rotom @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Discharge

Also take the 4 hp out of Shiftry, no hp helps with better life orb rolls. Other than that there's my take on the team and hope it helps out.

PrinceLucian

Banned deucer.
Hi man, pretty cool team you got there, I personally think SD shiftry+Spike stack offense is really good as ive been using it myself and its pretty effective vs all archetypes,Shiftry is pokemon that forces a lot of switches and Sd variant doesnt have a lot of counters, while spikes even makes it harder for opposing team to take on shiftry if you pressure well.
Thing that came on my mind when I saw the team was similar to Raptures who gave you a Really good option in Rotom so you can definitely try that and play with team a bit since its new, altough my rate will be a bit different since I like to focus on team weaknesses first so lets go into it.
  • My first look into team was Water/Fire weakness being pretty big and you basically have to sack a pokemon whenever opposing(example:Samurott,Zard) sweeper comes in, even tho Mesprit has levitate its still a shaky EdgeQuake check since sweepers like Rhydon can set up a RP and Choice item helps it even more since you can lock yourself into wrong move, next thing is your team is hazard stack BO, but it doesnt appreciate hazards on your field as pyroar/rotom/shiftry dont like being weakened too soon,especially vs defensive archetypes,mesprit can lock itself into psychic vs steelix and rocks are gonna pressure your team whole game,while cores of Malamar+Steelix can find Signal beam on mesprit pretty predictable and take it as their advantage forcing your team to take hazard damage every turn.
>
Sp.defensive Rotom was ok/gimmicky set that worked in Sceptile meta as people were trying everything to stop that monster, but with Sceptile gone there is no reason to run this set anymore. Lanturn gives you a great special wall, water check,fire check, voltblock that deals better with electric types than piloswine,it fills your FWG core in team and AV set is really great rn since its coverage can hit a lot of things for super effective damage.
Set:
Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Signal Beam

>
Claydol is spinner I dont really use that often, but it really fits well here, its another offensive Psychic type that can lure Skuntank for shiftry sweep, it gives you spinner that your team appreciates,it fixes EdgeQuake weakness since it basically counters DD Rhydon,and even with its average sp.atk it hits pretty decently since it can hit lot of things for super effective damage,Specs mesprit isnt that neccesary here as you also already have wallbreaker in Pyroar and hazards can weaken your opponents team pretty easily if you play well.
Set:
Claydol @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Signal Beam/Shadow Ball

-Slashed signal beam on your lanturn and claydol both as you can decide what to run on each,change Seed Bomb to Leaf Blade on shiftry because its available on SD set now, you can also experiment with rhydon/golurk on your team but i wont go in details now.

I hope you like my suggestions and good luck in future ^^

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)