Other Metagames Try to catch me- Mono Water team

Hey, guys, this is a mono water team that I created. I have reached 1550's with it only to tilt later.
So anyways here is my team :]

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 214 Def / 46 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

The first thing that comes to mind when using mono water is rain. pelipper is arguably the best rain setter with access to u-turn for momentum. the 46 speed investment is to always outspeed uninvested base 70's while the rest are put in bulk to take hits so that it can set up rain in the future again if needed.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon

Which is the best rain sweeper in the metagame and kingdra will be the most common answer. I ran a modest set for extra damage and ran specs instead of life orb coz I did not like the recoil. Initially, the last move was Draco meteor but I switched it to flash cannon to make matchups against ice easier. I am also using surf instead of the hydro pump as I did not want the miss chance.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

For my next mon, I chose azumarill the wall breaker. I'm running 248 hp instead of 252 to get hp to an odd number and since I'm not using sitrus but normalium z instead there was no point of running an even hp. I put the 4 speed here for outspeeding uninvested neutral base 50's and other adamant azu to prevent speed ties.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

After this I was thinking of adding a good stealth rocker with access to hazard removal and empoleon is the go-to guy/girl for me. I decided to run a defensive set to take hits from the likes of eq and close combat and then set up or remove hazards if needed. I initially had flash cannon instead of roar on him but since I rarely used it I put roar to counter set up mons.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

After looking at my team it seemed that my team is a very weak against electric. Initially, i had gastro to take hits on the special side and counter electric teams but my team became too weak to alolan-Raichu in electric terrain as the ones with grass knot plow through my team. So I added lanturn and this mon takes attacks from alolan Raichu for days.
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu-Alola Psychic vs. 0 HP / 252+ SpD Lanturn: 133-157 (34 - 40.1%) -- 37.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall

For my mega I initially had Gyarados but i seemed to have problems defeating m-venusaur and scarf niilego so I added sharpedo. I'm still debating whether I should keep jolly or replace it for adamant for the extra damage but the fear of scarf base 95 + speed nature doesn't let m change it.
Pelipper @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall

I hope you guys liked the team. Feel free to give suggestions for my team as I'm still learning to play with it.

Last edited:
Hey honestly your team looks very solid already. I like the idea of using Lanturn on rain, even though usually you'd not expect to see such a slow Pokemon on an offense team. The pivoting potential it gives and the ability to check Alolan Raichu is great. I've just got a few very small optimizations and one major change.

First, this is completely minor, but your Pelipper EVs aren't optimal! 248+214+46 adds up to 508, but you've split 2 EVs into two separate places, so you're really only using 504. I think you wanted to run 44, which is the amount needed to outspeed those base 70 Speed Pokemon as you wanted. So, you should make the spread 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe.

Second, Azumarill should use max Speed EVs. You want to be able to outspeed defensive Mega Scizor and Skarmory. Going up to max Speed also hits things like defensive Togekiss along the way, and you always at least Speed tie with other Azumarill, as Jolly isn't a set. Having this Speed very much helps Azumarill sweep more successfully. Unlike a Choice Band set, outspeeding threats matters a lot more here! So, you should use this spread: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe.

Third, Kingdra's moveset is not really that good. I understand you want to make Ice easier, but Draco Meteor actually helps more than Flash Cannon, and Surf outdamages Flash Cannon too! I'd recommend once again using Draco Meteor over Flash Cannon. Draco Meteor lets Kingdra 2HKO Mega Venusaur on the switch, as you can really never have too many Mega Venusaur soft checks on a type that cannot beat it reliably. In general, though, without Hydro Pump, you really do need Draco Meteor for some sort of nuke. Flash Cannon's coverage is just not good enough.

Now to the major change, I'd recommend dropping Empoleon. Rain is an offensive style and it's just a bit too slow. You should consider Seismitoad instead. Seismitoad is an Electric-immune Pokemon like Lanturn and also sets Stealth Rock like Empoleon. Seismitoad doesn't offer Defog support, but it's a Swift Swim user and has decent offensive presence with access to Sludge Wave to target Tapu Bulu, which otherwise crushes most Water teams (including your current one). Seismitoad gives you another Electric immunity, but it actually has Ground-type attacks, so it can offensively check Electric-types while Lanturn pivots into them. Seismitoad will help your Electric matchup a lot along with your Fairy matchup.

You can opt to run Defog on Pelipper because you no longer have Defog Empoleon, but I'd honestly just run this team without hazard removal. It's fine as it is.

You've done a great job with this, and I hope this has helped. Good luck with your team!

Pelipper @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Pulse
- Ice Beam

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)