Turn Trickster - Winning with Style

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new at this competitive pokemon thing, I've been at it for around four weeks or so, but I wanted to share a fun team I've had semi-success with in UU ladder. It revolves more or less utilizing a combination of u-turn coupled with some tricky support moves. One thing to note is this team is meant to be used for Wi-Fi battle, not DW setup because of it's intent to use team preview to Zoroark's illusion ability to an advantage with the ability to swap around the order of the team.

Sableye @ Lagging Tail
Trait: Prankster
EV's: 252 HP, 120 Def, 136 SpD
Careful Nature
- Trick
- Recover
- Taunt
- Foul Play

I love this guy. The best typing combination in the game giving him 0 weaknesses and 3 immunities coupled with his new ability: prankster makes him a very fun to use, and annoying trick/taunt supporter. The idea here is abusing prankster to its fullest, allowing him to set up trick and taunt really easily. He's also one of the few pokemon that has access to a high priority recovery move with prankster-recover. Foul play is there so he can do some damage, albeit situation damage. I prefer it over night shade because his stats are really pitiful anyway, and foul play allows me to do an occasional high damage if I end up using it against a strong physical sweeper.

Xatu @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EV's: 252 HP, 106 Def, 152 SpD
Calm Nature
- U Turn
- Roost
- Psychic
- Toxic

Magic Bounce is great, and the perfect counter to the team's biggest weakness, which is entry hazards. Luckily, while U-Turn is crippled by stealth rock and such, it also works great to easily switch to Xatu when an entry hazard user is switched in. Often you'll have to outsmart your opponent to use it effectively, but that's really what the team is all about. Decided to run a more standard moveset rather than dual screens because he actually hits harder than I expect with psychic and I can use him to take out problems like Nidoking.

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Naughty Nature
- U Turn
- Sucker Punch
- Sword Dance
- Low Sweep

My absolute favorite 5th gen pokemon, and the real core of the team. Zoroark's illusion ability is so much fun to use. I decided to run a physically offensive sweep set over a special one. The reason is mostly because no one ever expects it, works better with the u-turn synergy my team has, and sucker punch is an amazing move.More often than not, I'll use him as a lead. It surprises most people and I have lots of different disguises to work with, depending on what I placed last in the party. Mienshao, Xatu and Sableye are all great disguises that often allow me to get a free Sword Dance in so I can begin sweeping with sucker punch.

Ditto@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EV's: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Transform
-
-
-

I'm surprised I don't see Ditto more often. He's an amazing revenge killer and for some reason opponents never see it coming. I especially love letting an opponent set up for his sweeper, then send out my choice ditto to defeat it in one attack while keeping the stat bonuses.

Rotom-H@ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EV's: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 6 SpD
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power (Grass)
- Shadow Ball

Though I think it's a silly looking thing, there's no denying Rotom-H synergizes well with my team. Boasting a very high Special Attack and amazing coverage with his moves, him and mienshao pair up to become to primary volt/turn threat. I decided to run shadowball instead of trick mostly because I rarely ever used trick on him, and my sableye runs trick.

Mienshao @ Wide Lens
Trait: Regenerator
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- U Turn
- Stone Edge

In my opinion, the best user of U-Turn abuser in the bracket. Mienshao's Regenerator ability makes him a great scout in addition to a decent physical sweeper. The combo is very common, Fake Out for some reliable open damage then u-turn out if need be. Hi Jump Kick is veeeeery strong and even if you miss you can just u-turn out and regenerate it back. The only thing that separates my Mienshao from the standard is my replacement of life orb with wide lens. I feel the damage from life orb, even with its synergy with regenerator, didn't make up for the horrible hair-pulling innacuracy of both Hi-Jump Kick and Stone Edge. I usually sport him last on the team since he's the best zoroark disguise on my team, and can learn sword dance which my zoroark runs.

Mienshao - I would first advise that you do run life orb, despite how frustrating stone edge and hjk misses can be, the power difference IS noticeable. However if you insist on running wide lens, i would advise running hidden power ice over fake out with a naive nature, Fistly because Fake Out is horribly weak without life orb, secondly because Hidden Power gives you a way to beat Gligar, and thirdly because it allows you to bluff a choice item, something Fake out negated.

If wide lens is staying HP Ice > Fake Out and a naive nature. If it isn't staying, i'd still advise HP ice over fake out, tho fake out is much more viable with life orb.

Mienshao (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Fake Out/Hidden Power [Ice]

Mienshao (F) @ Wide Lens
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- U-turn
- Hi Jump Kick
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-H - Shadow ball is useless, it offers no additional coverage. You should replace this with either trick, for crippling common switch ins like snorlax, or to thunderbolt which is stronger and more reliable.

Rotom (Rotom-H) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick/Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Zoroark - Physical Zoroark is severly outclassed by the likes of Bisharp and Honchkrow. If you insist on keeping Zoroark i suggest you make it a special attacker with nasty plot 3 + attacks.

However i would advise replacing Zoroark altogether with Darmanitan. Darmanitan can operate either as a wall breaker with a life orb, or a great revenge killer when equipped with a choice scarf, being able to easily revenge kill pokemon like heracross, something ditto may have trouble with against certain pokemon that resist their own STAB's.

Zoroark (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

Darmanitan (F) @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Trait: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Superpower

I might give life orb on mienshao another chance, though you were right about gligar issues. I love fake out so much though, if I were to replace anything it would probably be stone edge...

I've replaced shadowball with thunder bolt and will test it out more later.

I won't replace zoroark though. He's just so much fun to use, I can almost always get a sword dance in while the opponent switches into a ghost type in hopes of negating an attack from mienshao and then attempt a physical sweep. And I like having u-turn on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)