Turning in Circles (VolTurn Balanced)

Hello again Smogon, it's me with another RMT. I used this team back in BW1, and after continuously tweaking the team on and off every now and then between attempts to make a successful stall team, I realized that I had unwittingly come back to the same exact team I started with.
Peaked #2, currently #7 OU Suspect (genesect)

Hyper (Jolteon) @ Expert Belt
Timid Nature (+Spe -Atk)
Ability: Volt Absorb
252 Spa 252 Spe 4 Spd
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power[Ice]

Jolteon is not only a great fast volt switcher from BW1, but an excellent answer to new BW2 threats such as Keldeo or the Therian formes, all of which need to carry a scarf to beat it, and let's be honest, who's scarfing tornadus-t. Jolteon works well in conjunction with Jellicent's Water Absorb, forming a two-poke combination to take the Water/Ice/Electric Coverage many rain teams like to throw around so much. Using an expert belt set allows Jolteon to punish ground types coming in to block his volt switch with a surprise HP ice. His base 130 speed allows him to volt out of any danger more quickly than any non-scarfed opponent will hit him, and maintain offensive pressure.

Furious (Darmanitan) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature (+Spe -Spa)
Ability: Sheer Force
252 Atk 252 Spe 4 HP
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-Superpower
-U-turn

Darmanitan is the most niche poke on this team, but his presence is really quite key. Darmanitan's best friend here is forretress, as each opponent's switch into hazard damage brings him one step closer to brutally smashing through even his resists with flare blitz, and his fire typing needs those rocks gone as often as possible. Scarfed U-turn is great for forcing switches and regaining momentum on opponents such as celebi, LO/Specs latios or hydreigon, threatening a KO if they stay in to take the turn. Superpower is run over EQ to guarantee the OHKO on ttar, and as a backup answer to opposing blobs should they hang around till the end.

Focused (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (+Atk -Spa)
Ability:Technician
252 Atk 252 HP 4 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Superpower
-Pursuit
-U-Turn

The heartbreaker that seems to have been all but forgotten in the wake of genesect, Scizor is not only another needed physical attacker, but an important user of priority and my ever-reliable answer to terrakion. Switchins to resisted U-turns and Volt Switches add up damage, and a technician boosted banded bullet punch is the perfect way to take advantage of that. Scizor works especially well with Rotom-W, as they form a volturn subcore that cover each others weaknesses well. Superpower takes out blobs and is used as a primary attack on any unknown switch meant to deal with a bullet punch. Pursuit traps the many psychic types and ghost types in the tier, though I've found that often it's better to simply bullet punch or flee myself, as many of them carry HP fire and will outspeed a pursuiting scizor.

Mischevious (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Modest Nature (+Spa -Atk)
Ability:Levitate
252 Spa 144 Spe 112 HP
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
-Pain Split
-Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-W and Scizor are really meant to be, absorbing each others hp grass and fire with ease. This Rotom is meant to hit hard until it sees something it doesn't want to deal with, and get out. Rotom is a HUGE asset against rain teams, as its hydro pump becomes ridiculous and volt switch can provide momentum against their omnipresent water types and torn-t. WoW is great against the likes of Garchomp, and any choice Terrakion playing it safe using Sedge instead of CC. Pain Split provides extra livability, and as always can go on the offensive against blobs, forcing them to recover as I volt out to a physical attacker.

Collected (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def -Atk)
252 HP 252 Def 4 Spd
Ability:Sturdy
-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Rapid Spin
-Volt Switch

What's a VolTurn team without a spinner? A dead VolTurn team. Forretress is a much needed check against physical dragons, as it sets up on even banded outrages. Rapid spin allows me to go 1v1 against ferrothorn and come out on top, though ferro breaks sturdy with leech seed in the process and this isn't a good idea if the other team has a spinner intact. As the only hazard setter on the team, I tend not to sac him unless it is absolutely imperative that rocks go up as quickly as possible and my opponents team does not carry a spinner. Forretress is also an excellent pivot with volt switch, maintaining momentum and allowing a free switchin with its low speed, allowing something frail like Jolteon or Darmanitan to come in without fear of being KOed.

Patient (Jellicent) @ Leftovers
Calm Nature (+Spd -Atk)
Ability:Water Absorb
252 HP 252 Spd 4 Spe
-Scald
-Will-O-Wisp
-Recover
-Taunt

The spinblocker and additional Special Wall, the only two spinners jellicent loses to in the entire meta (to my knowledge) are the uncommon toxic tentacruel and the more uncommon specially defensive donphan, which risks WoW if it stays in. Scald is a mandatory offensive move, and allows me to wear down taunted Volcaronas. the combination of WoW and Taunt allows me to beat Ferro 1 on 1 and switch to either forretress to set up more, or volt switch on the likely switch. Recover is mainly used when preparing to take a DMeteor, which the given set survives even specs from full health - SR, but can't take another without recovering first.

Note: Yes, this team runs 5 VolTurners. I like having my options open the majority of the time, and this is a massive ease on prediction.

Threats:
Conkeldurr: Outside of rain, Rotom's Hydro Pump is a 2HKO, and the HP he recovers off of drain punch puts him outside of bullet punch range, especially after a bulk up. Burning him only makes him stronger, and his priority mach punch maims darmanitan, who would otherwise maul him with a flare blitz.

Rainy SubCM Jirachi:
Once the CM goes up, his subs can't be reliably broken by my volt switches, and Thunder will start picking off Scizor and Darmanitan really quick. Darmanitan's Flare Blitz is weakened in the rain as well, taking away the KO even if it does manage to land one on rachi and not a sub.

SD Lucario
Once the SD goes up, Jolteon and Darmanitan die to a +2 LO Espeed, Scizor can't quite KO with bullet punch and dies to CC, Jellicent is outsped and dies to crunch before burning, as is rotom by CC. Forretress will live the attacks but can't do anything back.

(there are more most likely but these are what I have run into while testing)

So, rate, comment, criticize, tell me I'm an idiot, etc. Thanks for reading!

SubDisable Gengar checks all three of your threats and can be used in place of Jellicent as your spinblocker.
The only downside to using Gengar as a spinblocker is Starmie, but Starmie gets hit super-effectively by your entire team...
You might have to work out some other changes to make up for losing Jellicent's special walling capability though.

@ Faint: True, sprites probably would liven this up a bit, I shall get right on that

@ youngjake93: SubDisable Gar... hmm, that just might work. I'll try that out, I can live without a slow taunt. Makes me a little more weak to volc and lati@s, so I could try a switch to spdef Rotom-W to compensate.

hai eclits.

There's a few threats to this team and it seems quite hard to get passed hyper offense teams and such since Scarf Darm gets outsped by most things at +1. There's also the trouble of Band terrakion as nothing can switch into it. It's kinda hard to make a change in pokemon since if you change one you have to change another, so i'llpropose some minor changes. I think you could be wasting some speed EVs on Jolteon, you only really need enough to outspeed tornadus-T, if you want to do that you can use 184 speed EVs with timid and throw the rest into defense or HP. If you take the Gengar suggestion (which also helps against SDBreloom), I would recommend swapping Rotom-W up to Spdef set so that it can take on things like gyarados, Tornadus-T and other stuff. The EVs for it are 252Hp/216SpDef/40SpAtk Calm, you can keep the same moves and item. By switching to gengar however you appear to become more weak to Lucario but only if it carries Bullet Punch. You seem to outright lose to offensive sun as well, this is a little harder to remedy however, one thing you could try is using Landorus-i over Scizor or Darmanitan, if you lose Scizor then you lose your priority and pursuit trapping where as if you lose Darmanitan you lose that power, Darmanitan seems easier to replace however doing this might open up a hole to Genesect if Rotom-W gets worn down too quickly. Whichever you choose to replace, here's the set for it. So er...Gl c:

Landorus-i @ Life Orb
Sheer Force
Modest
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Ice
-U-turn/Rock Polish
-Focus Blast
If you replace Darmanitan but if you replace Scizor i think physical Scarf might work better to help revenge Terrakion and provide a stronger U-turn as Scizor was doing.

Pics Added finally

Hey Awk. Scarf Darm is one of the things I'm really not sure what to do about on this team. When I'm not facing rain, I can say without hesitation it's the majority of the reason I win 9/10 games, just because imo its about as difficult to switch into as terrakion, barring heatran. When I am facing rain, it's a mediocre scout at best, dead slot of my team at worst. In response to the lucario point, a lucario carrying bullet punch is pretty uncommon, and likely means they aren't carrying Espeed, letting jolteon come in and revenge. I do, however, think that scizor might be able to go in favor of a faster scarfer, however I'd want it to be able to outspeed lati, since bullet punches are almost always what end up taking out opposing lati and terrakion. I'll give scarf lando-i a try though with gar and the spdef rotom.

AWAY TO TESTING

Jolteon at max speed outspeeds +1 adamant Dragonite and Gyarados, that changes an easy win to an easy loss if you drop speed down to Tornadus-T levels. You do have rock slide on Darmanitan though, so you might not even have to outspeed Tornadus-T if you want to go Modest.

Jolteon at max speed outspeeds +1 adamant Dragonite and Gyarados, that changes an easy win to an easy loss if you drop speed down to Tornadus-T levels. You do have rock slide on Darmanitan though, so you might not even have to outspeed Tornadus-T if you want to go Modest.
+1 Dragonite doesn't really matter since Extreme Speed had about 60% to OHKO jolteon after Rocks and with gyarados it depends, he has Rotom-W which can take any of its attacks and (if he has it) Scarf LAndorus-i can revenge it at +1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)