Tyranitar (Full Revamp) +

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
You know, Superpower lowers Defense anyway so I don't see what the big deal about running Quiet over Mild is.

RaikouLover's set works really, really, well, and it beats up most of its regular counters and really almost anything in the game with the right move (except Hariyama / Hitmontop / the like).
Well, how often do you actually need to use your Fighting move anyway? Only when your opponent actually figures out the set that your running, which will be one or two times after you need the switch it. Focus Punch (and Superpower if I add it, which I probably will) is listed as the 4th move for a reason. Once your opponent has caught onto the suprise, then sure, use Focus Punch / Superpower, but the main idea of the set is to take out Tyranitar's counters. Once they figure out your set, its time to use Focus Punch. Quiet is alot better than a Mild nature if Tyranitar can 2HKO Blissey (which I'm checking right now), because it helps keep your defenses up when you don't use Superpower, which should, considering the nature of the set, be infrequent.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
First hit (with Quiet nature): (67.59% - 79.57%)
Second hit: (45.16% - 53.15%)

So yeah, Superpower is a 2HKO on Blissey

On Snorlax:
First hit: 60.31% - 70.99%
Second hit: 40.08% - 47.33%

I'll go ahead and add Superpower as a slash for the 4th move, and mention Focus Punch in set comments.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First hit (with Quiet nature): (67.59% - 79.57%)
Second hit: (45.16% - 53.15%)

So yeah, Superpower is a 2HKO on Blissey

On Snorlax:
First hit: 60.31% - 70.99%
Second hit: 40.08% - 47.33%

I'll go ahead and add Superpower as a slash for the 4th move, and mention Focus Punch in set comments.
The last slot should give the option of a special move as an option in my opinion. Using SpecsTar before I've rarely needed a fighting move. HP Grass / Ice Beam should be slashed in alongside it in my opinion.

Darkers will agree with me b/c he likes HP Grass a lot. ^__^

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
I currently have Earth Power as the main option on the forth slot, but it wouldn't be an issue to add Hidden Power Grass as well. I mention Ice Beam on the set already, so I don't think it needs a slash on the forth slot, since it already has one on the third.

So the forth slot would look like this

move 4: Earth Power / Hidden Power Grass / Superpower

I guess I can delete that paragraph I just wrote in other options now for the choice specs set.

Why? Just why? I fail to see why you would need Earth Power.... or HP Grass.

Dark Pulse 2HKOs Swampert anyway, so why would you even consider HP Grass??? It has terrible type coverage and is only for one pokemon! Earth Power I assume is meant for Heatran and other Tar, but both are OHKOed by Focus Punch. Superpower is an option alongside Focus Punch, but is inferior because who would leave their Blissey in to take the second hit when you can switch out to something, be at -2 and -2 and let your opponent set up?? Instead you can just Focus Punch Blissey, Tyranitar, Heatran, and Empoleon.. all of whom don't give a shit about your other attacks... are all OHKOed by Focus Punch if they get any bright ideas about switching in. So why wouldn't you just use it and OHKO all of them? As for Physical defense, the only physical attacks a Choice Specs Tyranitar will switch in are what he resists... and all he really resists are... uh.... beats me I kind of can't remember since hes weak to X-Scissor, Bullet Punch, Close Combat, Earthquake, Dynamic Punch, Waterfall... yikes

I agree with RL. On choiced sets, you have to predict the switch the their Blissey / Heatran already, regardless if you use Focus Punch or Superpower. One of them guarantees the OHKO, while the other is a 2HKO... this isn't that hard to decide. Tyranitar has the "fear" factor to force switches, so the likelihood of your opponent flinching your focus punch is very low.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
But, as I've been saying, you won't need to use the Fighting move often, or even at all. That "fear factor" your describing is why using a special attack such as Dark Pulse is so deadly, not the reason why Focus Punch is. Plus, I would rather not use a -Defense nature on something that can take hits like Tar. You say he's so weak to these physical attacks, but he usually survives an LO Waterfall from Gyara, and LO Bullet Punch from Scizor (no matter what I do I can't make Tyranitar take a fighting attack sorry). Tyranitar has great physical bulk and despite his many "physical" weaknesses, he can usually survive those attacks you mentioned.

HP Grass is a good thing to pop that Swampert out, but its usefullness extents to Rhyperior, which is gaining popularity. Additionally, HP Grass is your strongest attack against most grounds if you forgo Ice Beam like I suggest, and if you decide against Thunderbolt it becomes your strongest move on the likes of Vaporeon. Earth Power allows me to keep my Modest Nature, and murders Heatran, and other steels just as well as Flamethrower. I've always disliked using special natures just to accomplish one feat, and it is extra important because Tyranitar needs his jump on Skarmory alot of the time, and can take physical hits quite well, despite what you say. The set is a suprise value anyway, so this splitting my nature has less of a value than it does on say, Choice Band Salamence (i disagree with that too, but thats for a different thread) And despite my feelings towards the 4th move, I have given a great mention towards Focus Punch in the comments, and went as far as to copy and paste what you told me. I'm not really sure what the issue is.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
At its current stage, this edit is almost ready to go up on the site. I'll give people a few more days to respond and fix errors, and then I'll throw this over to Caelum to take care of the rest.

Fire Blast already most Steels, and both Fire-types them have problems taking a Stone Edge, but Earthquake hits with Tyranitar's higher stat, and insures the KOs.
The first line should be "Fire Blast already damages/KOs/etc most Steels..." as you are missing a verb there.

Just bringing this set up again to fix the Counter/DD set. The old EV spread was based around beating Garchomp one on one, which is now uber and so is unnecessary. I think this spread should work better;

104 HP / 140 Atk / 76 Def / 188 Spe

With 76 Defense, you will always take enough from a Gliscors Earthquake (assuming 0 Atk investment) to OHKO max HP Gliscor with Counter, which is important as Sand Veil and Stone Edge's 80% accuracy makes hitting it to finish it off difficult, as well as the fact that if you haven't had a chance to DD it will be faster than Tyranitar anyway so it can Roost. From there, 104 HP allows you to always survive a Scizor's Choice Banded Technician Bullet Punch after coming into Stealth Rock twice (factoring in Leftovers on both switches) or after coming in on SR once if you use an item other than Leftovers. 188 Speed allows you to beat Jolly Lucario after a Dragon Dance, and the rest is in Attack.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
the lead tar's analysis repeatedly refers to 401HP even though 252 HP EVs of course grant it 404 HP...not going to dig through the thread to find why the two don't reconcile but either the spread or the explanation need to be fixed.

the 38 Def EVs actually grant it 265 Def and not the 268 mentioned in the analysis, which of course would account for the HP discrepancy, but if you're going tog use Substitute i would think 404 HP is better since the 268 Defense is only there to survive 383 Atk Gyara CB Waterfall "on average", so i'm not sure if it's as easy as just changing the given EV spread

I took care of both of those issues. For Evil Hamster, I changed the official spread, as well as some of the set comments to accommodate the changes. As per Jumpman's post, I edited the official spread to the 401 HP / 368 Def spread, and added a mention of the 404 HP spread at the end of the EV section of that set, if the user opts for Substitute.

Kind of something I've always wondered and I see it in RMTs.... what is with Tyraniboah's EV spread????

Why did we change it from Jumpman's ADV spread... ?

252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe is still the best. Outspeeding Blissey is irrelevant when the real target you should be aiming for is Swampert. Dark Pulse flinches and the extra hit come in handy. Not only that, but why are there attack EVs? Are there any notable KOs I'm missing? IIRC, Tyranitar's 304 Attack is all thats really needed to blast Blissey into the next dimension, and the extra special attack is more useful.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Attack EVs were when Crunch was there.

I don't know if TyraniBoah is really a good "stallkiller" anymore with every stall team in the game having Tspikes, so shouldn't we just make it into an anti-metagame (not just anti-stall) set or something? Like, Flamethrower for Scizor coming in, Focus Punch for Blissey, and Dark move for Psychics (Crunch should come back when Latias is OU honestly)

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Kind of something I've always wondered and I see it in RMTs.... what is with Tyraniboah's EV spread????

Why did we change it from Jumpman's ADV spread... ?

252 HP / 188 SpA / 68 Spe is still the best. Outspeeding Blissey is irrelevant when the real target you should be aiming for is Swampert. Dark Pulse flinches and the extra hit come in handy. Not only that, but why are there attack EVs? Are there any notable KOs I'm missing? IIRC, Tyranitar's 304 Attack is all thats really needed to blast Blissey into the next dimension, and the extra special attack is more useful.
There's not too much of a point in outspeeding Swampert when the flinch rate is really so low and putting up a Substitute against Swampert is pointless anyways. Swampert isn't anybody's first switch into Tar most of the time because of how powerful a CB Crunch is. If they see Lefties, then they might do to Swampert, but even then, the extra speed is not really worth it. I can add something in the EV section on site though, as it is worth being mentioned.

Actually, on the attack EVs, now that I checked it might be worth it to use MORE attack EVs. Right now, a 317 Attack Focus Punch does 87.86% - 103.53% to a Calm 0/ 252 Blissey. That is a KO with SR, but it might be more helpful to have a KO with just Sandstream assumed. So yes, the attack EVs do something, cause you sometimes won't beat Blissey without any Attack EVs.

Chris said:
I don't know if TyraniBoah is really a good "stallkiller" anymore with every stall team in the game having Tspikes, so shouldn't we just make it into an anti-metagame (not just anti-stall) set or something? Like, Flamethrower for Scizor coming in, Focus Punch for Blissey, and Dark move for Psychics (Crunch should come back when Latias is OU honestly)
That is a good point. I'll have to think about that.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
if you can tell me why ohkoing blissey matters at all when you will still be behind a substitute after connecting with FP and will be able to kill a 10% or less Blissey every time with dark pulse i'd love to hear it, especially considering the fact that stall blissey is actually now likely to not have seismic toss in the first place

and if for whatever reason blissey is actually able to break your sub as you OHKO with Focus Punch, you should not use focus punch but rather dark pulse or sub again instead

this dynamic has not changed one bit from advance, guys

You need to outspeed Swampert... Swampert doesn't have recovery... Swampert could be at 50%. If it is, you kill it. If you don't have Speed EVs, you don't! Its that simple.

I guess I'm asking why are we changing a set that still works and is so good at what it does (Yes, Chris, it still does break stall believe it or not). Also, Dark Pulse / Crunch isn't even a necessity on the set if it is a stallbreaker. I've actually run Ice Beam / Flamethrower / Sub / Focus Punch just for the sake of demolishing stall (for some laughable reason it worked).

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
I actually have used the Choice Scarf set to great success on both my Standard and Suspect teams, and I am kind of surprised that you left out Superpower as an option.

Its main purpose is to allow you to OHKO other Tyranitar, especially CBTar who OHKO's you with Earthquake (While your own Earthquake fails to OHKO). It also allows you to 2HKO Blissey, Snorlax, and Heatran with one set. It should be added to the last slot, IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)