Tyranitar RMT

This RMT is based on the DD Tyranitar. Its been working really well currently, DD Tyranitar RIPS through teams without a really prominent physical wall.

Team at a Glance:

Team Building Process:
Okay so first of all I obviously needed a DD-Tyranitar.

The biggest problem to LO DD Tyranitar are Pokemon like Scizor, Skarmory and Scarf Jirachi. Magnezone handles all of these very easily.

Next, I wanted to decide on my lead first. Stealth Rock was the first thought that came to my mind, but after some thought, I thought Toxic Spikes was the better choice. Who better to do this then Roserade?

To rack up the poison spreading, I need something that could force switches and take advantage of that. Gengar was phenomenal.

After Gengar, I needed a good revenge killer, but was whom is also quite bulky in a sense. I chooes Rotom-W (sorry for the wrong spirte, can't find Rotom-W sprite).

Last of all, I needed a bulky sweeper. Inspired by a friend, I choose a physically bulky Salamence. I'm still debating on what to put in this slot.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that Roserade just wasn't fast enough. I thought up a new set for Smeargle, which also lay down Toxic Spikes.

Now because I didn't have a solid counter to Swampert, I changed Rotom-W to Rotom-C.

Under the Microscope:

Smeargle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Spore
- Toxic Spikes
- Trick
- U-turn
---

Role: This is my lead. I'm proud to call it my invention, because it is. This probably seems quite gimmicky, but it is extremely effective against common leads. It out speeds everything this side of Electrode (409 Speed). This lead rarely puts me at a disadvantage, and can be used as death fodder late game, or to put something to sleep later on.

Moveset: Spore is quite useful, putting something to sleep. Its also pretty standard on a Smeargle lead. Toxic Spikes is my main entry hazard, and I choose it over Stealth Rock because I figured while my Tyranitar is setting up, Sandstorm and the poison will begin to takes its toll, and because Life Orb is such a common item, that will also factor damage in. Trick is the center of this set. It allows me to cripple so many leads. U-turn may seem ridiculous, but it allows me to scout very effectively.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Jolly and 252 Speed EVs are essential, the 252 HP EVs are to give some "bulk". At first it seems useful to give more EVs to Attack, but the HP EVs give me some important bulk to Pokemon that outspeed me. Choice Scarf is self-explanatory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rotom-C @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
---

Role: This is one of the most underrated revenge killers in the metagame. I mainly use this to kill off things like Hippowdon and Swampert who completely wall my Tyranitar, even after a Dragon Dance. I'm still not sure about the dilemma of Choice Scarf or Choice Specs.

Moveset: Leaf Storms is so the crux of this set. Shadow Ball and Thunderbolt are my main STAB moves. Trick completely cripples walls like Blissey, Bronzong or Dusknoir, and turn them into set-up fodder for the rest of my team.

EVs, Nature, and Item: EVs are for maximized special sweepiness. I'm not sure whether it should be Timid (447 Speed) or Modest (406 Speed). Choice Scarf makes me an effective revenge killer, though I'm not sure about it or Choice Specs.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gengar @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
---

Role: Awesome at forcing switches and racking up poison damage. Substitute basically gives Gengar a "second chance", e.g. if Focus Blast doesn't hit or if he fails to OHKO. I use this to tear holes through my opponents team so that Tyranitar has a free sweep.

Moveset: The three attacks are pretty standard. Focus Blast and Shadow Ball complete unresisted coverage. Thunderbolt is for more super effective coverage. Substitute simply works wonders on Gengar.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Again, Timid max Speed is required on almost every Gengar (I think its required on all Gengars), and the rest is dumped to Special Attack. Leftovers over Life Orb because so I won't lose ridiculous amounts of health due to the omnipresent sandstorm and Substitute damage.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 Spe
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Roost
---

Role: Physically bulky Salamence is so underrated. It checks many threats, and its walling capabilities are further boosted by Intimidate. Choice Scarf Flygon's Outrage does puny damage (factoring in Intimidate). It acts as my bulky sweeper, and has great type coverage with my Magnezone. This thing as saved me countless of times, checking some of the metagame's to physically offensive threats.

Moveset: Dragon Claw over Outrage because this is a sort of "tank" and I don't want to be locking myself into Outrage, and it is much easier to grab Dragon Dances now. Earthquake is for those pesky Steels which resist my Dragon STAB. Dragon Dance is self-explanatory. Roost gives me very welcomed longevity, and also gets rid of my Ice and Rock weakness, as well as making Electric not very effective.

EVs, Nature, and Item: The EVs give me very adequate physical bulk, but also providing me with a good touch of Speed. Leftovers only further increases my longevity.

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
- Explosion
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Fire
- Thunderbolt
---

Role: Magnezone is essential to this team. It destroys the omnipresent Choice Band Scizor, and also conveniently checks Pokemon like Skarmory, Choice Scarf Jirachi, Forretress, and almost all other Steels. All of these bar the way to Tyranitar sweeping, which is the reason Magnzone earns a place on this team. With Choice Scarf, this can act like a mini-sweeper when needed.

Moveset: Explosion takes care of Blissey, which is VERY convenient for Magnezone. Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt are Magnezone's main STAB attacks. Hidden Power Fire conveniently takes care of Forretress and Scizor.

EVs, Nature, and Item: EVs give this max Speed and Special Attack. 4 Attack EVs just slightly boost Explosion. Choice Scarf gives me very welcome speed.

Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
---
Role: Tyranitar is a nightmare to wall. It serves as my primary sweeper, and a very prominent one at that. Nothing bar Hippowdon, Swampert, Bronzong, Forretress and Skarmory can wall it. And all of those are easily removed by the rest of my team (providing Bronzong doesn't have Earthquake). A physical beast of a sweeper.

Moveset: Dragon Dance is the crux of this set, boosting Tyranitar's Speed to much better levels (361) and its already beastly Attack to ridiculous levels. Crunch and Stone Edge are my main STAB attacks. You may ask why Earthquake over Fire Punch or Aqua Tail? Firstly, Earthquake completes the legendary QuakeEdge combination. Secondly, Fire Punch is only used with Babiri Berry, and other Steels are destroyed by Magnezone. Aqua Tail is primarily used to hit Pokemon like Hippowdon. The rest of my team destroys it.

EVs, Nature, and Item: EVs give Tyranitar maximized physical sweepiness. Without Jolly, Tyranitar becomes way too slow. Life Orb gives Tyranitar's attacks an extra kick, unlike Babiri Berry.

Final Glance:

End Notes:
Any constructive criticism will be welcomed. I have tested this team.
Threat list is on next post. Instead of writing all the Pokemon and how I deal with them, I’ll just note down the Pokemon that are significant threats to this team.

3 Choice Scarfs and no Rapid Spinner? Granted you're depending on your Smeargle to prevent Stealth Rock from coming up in the first place, but that's not always possible. And you have 2 Trickers, so maybe it works.

I'd at least consider Pain Split over Thunderbolt on Gengar. Between Substitute and Sandstorm it can give you some kind of recovery, making Life Orb a possibility in the meantime.

Wonderful concept on the Smeargle lead. That should be an unpleasant surprise.

Hi. There's a number of problems here, not least that you're (ironically) weak to DD Mence and DDTar.

First things first - you need a new lead. You have no Stealth Rock user, which means Salamence in particular is free to come in on several of your team members and spam Draco Meteor. Not only that, but your team doesn't really benefit from Toxic Spikes - the only pokemon capable of using them well is Salamence, and the pokemon that set struggles with are immune to poison.
Looking at your team, you don't have a single pokemon that can switch into Thunder Waves without being horribly crippled, and, as I mentioned, you're DDTar weak. The obvious choice of replacement for Smeargle is a standard lead Swampert, which will give you a reliable SR user, ground type, and Tyranitar check all in one, as well as a much better switch into Heatran, which is currently another pokemon you'll struggle with.

Leaf Storm simply isn't worth it on Rotom, you should go -H and use Overheat, I'll suggest another way of dealing with Swampert later on in the rate. Overheat is preferable so that you can revenge kill Lucario easily (I'm going to suggest a moveset change on Mence).

While Gengar is effective at weakening teams, you're really lacking a way to check DDMence here, for which I think you should use a CB Scizor, which not only lets you check many of the pokemon you're going to struggle with (DDMence, Gengar, Starmie), but lures in many of the physical walls that Tyranitar needs weakening, and hits them with a U-turn.

Seeing as you have a Scarf Rotom, Magnezone really doesn't need to have a Scarf too. Instead, I'd give it Leftovers and Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Substitute and either Flash Cannon or Charge Beam. You could go with Explosion over Sub too if you want to keep it. This set will give you a much better Swampert lure than your current Scarf Rotom, as well as being more dangerous offensively than the Magnezone you have now.

I'm going to suggest that you use a MixMence with max Speed and Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Brick Break/Roost instead of your current set, which is really quite out of place on this team, and is going to struggle to do much for you. MixMence on the other hand, will give you a great way of weakening teams to prepare for a Tyranitar sweep, while still being bulky enough to check physical attacks when necesarry.

Finally, there's not really much point using Earthquake on Tyranitar. All of the notable pokemon it hits, such as Heatran, are OHKOed by a +1 LO Stone Edge. You'd be better off going with Fire Punch or Aqua Tail to hit steels and Hippowdon/Gliscor respectively here.

Good luck!

I do like the lead. Trick the Scarf, Spore the switch if they set up SR or something that they have to switch out of (or if they Taunted you U-Turn on their switch), put up hazards. I can see it working nicely if you Trick to a Taunter, U-Turn as they hop to Scizor to BP you, and then bring in Magnezone. Has a lot of potential.

I do agree that Toxic Spikes may not be the best hazard for you, as they don't affect steels. However, Toxic Spikes do put a dent in Pert and Hippowdon, so they aren't too bad in case Rotom fails.

3 Scarfs does seem like a lot, but Smeargle will often Trick his Scarf away, Rotom sometimes. I'm not sure if there's a good alternative to Explosion on Zone, but it's awfully predictable when he switches into Blissey that he's gonna explode, which leaves him very vulnerable to Ghost switch-ins and Protect. I do like the idea of Substitute.

You might want babari on ttar with fire punch over earth quake jut to take scizor and friends out, because It help's counter scizor and jirachi, if you think magmezone can do that job well enough, then lefty's is in odrer, because they still disturb your sweep you may have to switch in again when ttar has has taken a few hits you want to lessen that damage which may keep you from sweeping again.

You are rellying to heavily on smeargles spore to keep off stealth rock, you also really on switching a lot to use immunities which half your team is weak to. My suggestion is to use a trick frosslass (your team doesn't stall that well) lead and an UU spiner of your choice(donphan has sandstorm immunity and can stealth rock) over preferably gengar for resistances.

Oh and yeah on magmezone hp fire is almost useless(even with x2 damage it deals less than thunderbolt hp grass is better and lose the scarf and add sub + lefty's

On a team dedicated to a Tyranitar sweep, I don't think you need Fire Punch/Babiri. Babiri is for bating, more if Scizor troubles the rest of your team greatly, and even after SR + Scizor's BP, +1 BabiriTar is revengable.

This team doesn't mind SR too much, honestly. The only weakness is Mence who is bulky with Roost (although breaking walls with MixMence might help Tar more, and you can still use Roost). Smeargle with TrickScarf and Spore may not prevent Rocks but I don't think that's the point. But yes, this team isn't stall and Toxic Spikes are unreliable as flying types/steel types/poison types/levitators are all immune to them, and spinners like Starmie can spin them away and heal with Natural Cure. SR is usually the best entry hazard if that's all you're setting up (and it only takes 1 turn).

HP Fire is for hitting stuff 4x, like Scizor and Forretress, that Thunderbolt won't OHKO. That's what he's trying to take out, but yes, Thunderbolt is much better for things like Jirachi and Skarm.

I do see the DDTar weak. If it gets a DD, it can outspeed Gengar and Mence, tie Zone, and outspeed your own Tyranitar, of course. Smeargle too will probably have tricked his Scarf away. Rotom can hit it with Leaf Storm but isn't guaranteed a KO. So hitting it with Leaf Storm and then hoping to win the Speed tie and finish it with Flash Cannon is all you can really do against DDTar.

Hi. There's a number of problems here, not least that you're (ironically) weak to DD Mence and DDTar.

First things first - you need a new lead. You have no Stealth Rock user, which means Salamence in particular is free to come in on several of your team members and spam Draco Meteor. Not only that, but your team doesn't really benefit from Toxic Spikes - the only pokemon capable of using them well is Salamence, and the pokemon that set struggles with are immune to poison.
Looking at your team, you don't have a single pokemon that can switch into Thunder Waves without being horribly crippled, and, as I mentioned, you're DDTar weak. The obvious choice of replacement for Smeargle is a standard lead Swampert, which will give you a reliable SR user, ground type, and Tyranitar check all in one, as well as a much better switch into Heatran, which is currently another pokemon you'll struggle with.

Leaf Storm simply isn't worth it on Rotom, you should go -H and use Overheat, I'll suggest another way of dealing with Swampert later on in the rate. Overheat is preferable so that you can revenge kill Lucario easily (I'm going to suggest a moveset change on Mence).

While Gengar is effective at weakening teams, you're really lacking a way to check DDMence here, for which I think you should use a CB Scizor, which not only lets you check many of the pokemon you're going to struggle with (DDMence, Gengar, Starmie), but lures in many of the physical walls that Tyranitar needs weakening, and hits them with a U-turn.

Seeing as you have a Scarf Rotom, Magnezone really doesn't need to have a Scarf too. Instead, I'd give it Leftovers and Thunderbolt/HP Grass/Substitute and either Flash Cannon or Charge Beam. You could go with Explosion over Sub too if you want to keep it. This set will give you a much better Swampert lure than your current Scarf Rotom, as well as being more dangerous offensively than the Magnezone you have now.

I'm going to suggest that you use a MixMence with max Speed and Draco Meteor/Fire Blast/Brick Break/Roost instead of your current set, which is really quite out of place on this team, and is going to struggle to do much for you. MixMence on the other hand, will give you a great way of weakening teams to prepare for a Tyranitar sweep, while still being bulky enough to check physical attacks when necesarry.

Finally, there's not really much point using Earthquake on Tyranitar. All of the notable pokemon it hits, such as Heatran, are OHKOed by a +1 LO Stone Edge. You'd be better off going with Fire Punch or Aqua Tail to hit steels and Hippowdon/Gliscor respectively here.

Good luck!
thank you so much!

i'll definitely try out the swampert lead, although I've never really liked using those slow, bulky leads :/, though i'll definitely try it :)

I'll definitely try out the changes, though I'm a bit reluctant on the Gengar one. Gengar has won me many, many battles, by destroying the defensive core of different teams. anyways, thanks for the rate, it was very helpful =D

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Firstly Salamence is now Uber I believe whcih limits the success of your team. I do believe though, that a Bulky Dragonite set does the same thing as your Salamence (within reason). Hopefully this should not screw up the team too much.

Have a Nice Day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)