Tyranitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
--->

♪ Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream ♪
Overview
########

-Well rounded
-Brings sand
-Got very strong mega evo
-Weak to some common moves including Mach / Bullet Punch
-Weak to some common types

Specially-Based Mixed Attacker
########
name: Specially-Based Mix
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Fire Blast / Ice Beam
move 4: Protect
ability: Sand Stream / Unnerve
item: Life Orb / Chople Berry
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD
nature: Quiet

Moves
========

-Dark Pulse is the Dark-type STAB of choice, hitting Ghost- and Psychic-types hard
-Rock Slide is a powerful spread move, notable for hitting Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y hard
-Fire Blast is there to deal with Ferrothorn and Amoongus
-Ice Beam can take care of pokemon like Garchomp and Salamence
-Protect is the standard turn waster, scouting the opponent and protecting the user.
-Snarl can be used as an alternative to Dark Pulse, hitting both opposing Pokemon and always lowering their special attack. However, it is remarkably weak and, as such, isn't recommended.

Set Details
========

-The EVs give Tyranitar enough bulk to survive both modest mega charizard Y's Solar Beam and Azumarill's Play Rough. 244 EVs are put into special attack as that is the highest highest number left that are not divisible by 8, and the remaining four are put into attack to get that extra stat point.
-A bulkier spread with 252 HP / 76 Def / 88 SpA / 92 SpD can be used to survive Mega Garchomp's Sand Force-boosted Earthquake and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump when sandstorm has worn off (or be 3HKOd inside sandstorm) can be used if you feel that you don't need the extra power of the given spread. Please note that you need to run Chople Berry with this spread.
-Needs to maximize Special Attack without lowering its attack stat and therefore runs Quiet
-Life Orb is the preferred item for the power
-Chople Berry to help weaken Fighting-type moves, surviving all but Mienshao's High Jump Kick, Mega Lucario's Close Combat and the rare Sawk's Close Combat
-Sand Stream chips away at the opponent with a Sandstorm while Unnerve is only viable on specially-based and mega sets, stopping your opponent from eating berries.

Usage Tips
========

-Generally speaking, bring it in early and keep it alive for most of the match
-Could also bring in a few turns in to win the weather war, if applicable
-Is not as worried about Intimidate+Burn as the physically-based sets, so don't be afraid of possible Will-O-Wisps and that Manectric sitting in the back of the opponents party

Team Options
========

-Talonflame can take care of Fighting-type pokemon like Conkeldurr
-Garchomp, both mega and normal are good team mates under sand
-Amoonguss is always nice with that Rage Powder and Spore support

Physically-Based Mega
########
name: Mega
move 1: Crunch
move 3: Earthquake
ability: Unnerve / Sand Stream
item: Tyranitarite
evs: 252 Atk / 108 Def / 20 SpD / 128 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

-Crunch provides a solid STAB
-Rock Slide provides another solid STAB, hitting both opponents
-Earthquake is a hard-hitting attack that provides SlideQuake coverage
-Protect for scouting and getting sandstorm chip damage
-Dragon Dance can be used to boost up to monsterous levels

Set Details
========

-Adamant boosts Attack to monsterous levels
-EVs max out attack while letting you survive max spec. attack modest Megazard Y's Solar Beam in the sun and max attack, adamant Scrafty's Drain Punch, both as mega. The rest are dumped into speed, happening to give you the perk of outpacing neutral, uninvested Rotom-A (assuming this calculator's stats are correct) or the rare neutral, uninvested Vivillon (assuming Pokemon Showdown!'s teambuilder's stats are correct) [could someone please tell me which is correct?].
-Tyranitarite 'cause mega
-Unnerve because mega has Sand Stream anyway and blocking opponents' berry-use is helpful, but Sand Stream gives you more momentum-gaining oppertunities and lets you set up more easily, making switch-ins against special attackers easier.

Usage Tips
========

-If facing a Charizard, use Protect on the turn it mega evolves and then mega evolve yourself to lock them into a weakened, 2-turn Solar Beam and proceed to KO them while taking no damage from them.
-Play conservatively before mega evolving, then don't be afraid to take a hit or two after mega evolving.
-Dont forget that it isn't always the best idea to mega evolve immediately
-Beware Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp as they may cut your sweep short

Team Options
========

-Talonflame hits Fighting-types and Amoonguss
-Rotom-Wash hits opposing Rock and Ground types
-Mat Block, Quick Guard and Wide Guard users, such as Greninja and Mienshao, are all helpful for protecting Tyranitar
-Anything that can absorb burns or intimidate, such as Conkeldurr, Bisharp and (while often overlooked) Wigglytuff are helpful

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 220 SpA / 28 SpD / 236 Spe
nature: Mild / Lonely

Moves
========

-Rock Slide hits Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame hard
-Dark Pulse hits Ghost- and Psychic-types like Chandelure and Aegislash hard
-Fire Blast hits Ferrothorn and other Steel-types hard not called Aegislash harder than any other moves
-Ice Beam hits Ground-types such as Garchomp hard, as well as getting the hardest hit on Salamence.
-Protect can be used to bluff an un-choiced set.

Set Details
========

-EVs OHKO 4 HP Garchomp with Ice Beam 100% of the time, underspeed max speed Choice Scarf Abomasnow by a point so sandstorm is set up instead of hail and maximizes the chances of surviving a Timid Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam (81.2% chance to survive)
-Nature depends on the Dark-type STAB chosen: Mild for Dark Pulse, Lonely for Crunch
-Choice Scarf because choice scarf set. Boosts Tyranitar's speed

Usage Tips
========

-Due to the nature of this set, you need to play it a little more conservatively than other sets
-Think ahead before locking yourself into Fire Blast in order to KO that Ferrothorn. It will often come back to bite you
-Due to the frail nature of the set, it will often be best to come in later to clean up weakened foes once you have deemed what will be able to outpace you
-Tyranitar is usually used as a good weather disruptor. Be careful about when you bring it in when you are against a weather-based team

Team Options
========

-Talonflame deals with Scrafty
-Amoonguss deals with Rotom-Wash and opposing Tyranitar
-Rotom-Wash deals with Azumarill and other Water-types

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Crunch
move 3: Earthquake
ability: Sand Stream
item: Chople Berry
evs: 252 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

-Crunch is the Dark-type STAB of choice, dealing with Ghost- and Psychic-types such as Chandelure effectively, as well as being this particular set's best way of dealing with Ferrothorn
-Rock Slide is a powerful spread STAB move that is notable for dealing with Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y well
-Earthquake provides SlideQuake coverage
-Protect is one of those moves that can help stall a turn for residual damage, as well as scouting what the opponent will do

Set Details
========

-The given EVs maximize Tyranitar's power while being able to take max attack, Adamant Azumarill's Play Rough and modest Mega Charizard Y's Solar Beam in the sun. The four EVs in speed enable it to creep opposing Tyranitar that are running no investment.
-Adamant raises Attack without hindering other important stats
-Chople Berry to help weaken Fighting-type moves, enabling Tyranitar to survive them all excluding Mienshao's High Jump Kick, Mega Lucario's Close Combat and the rare Sawk's Close Combat.

Usage Tips
========

-This set has a particular advantage over the other common weather setter: Mega Charizard Y
-Could also bring in a few turns in to win the weather war, if applicable
-Can also be a late game cleaner with Dragon Dance

Team Options
========

-Mega Garchomp will have some moves increase in power in the sand
-Amoonguus can offer Rage Powder support and is not afraid of Fighting-type moves aimed at T-Tar

Other Options
########

-Roseli Berry
-Tyranitarite with EV spread of 128 Atk / 108 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD or 252 Atk / 108 Def / 252 SpA / 20 SpD or 252 Atk / 108 Def / 20 SpD / 128 Spe (depending on moveset)
-Dragon Dance
-Rock Polish Specialtar
-Stone Edge
-Brick Break or Focus Blast

Checks & Counters
########

-Fighting-type moves most notably Mienshao's High Jump Kick, completely destroy T-Tar
-Fairy-types, most notably Mega Mawile, can deal heavy damage to Tyranitar
-Scizor can wreak Tyranitar with STAB Bullet Punch and X-Scissor
-Steel-types, like the two I just mentioned and Ferrothorn deal heavy damage
-Grass-types like Chesnaught, Ludicolo and Ferrothorn can deal heavy damage to Tyranitar
-Water-types like Azumarill and Ludicolo can deal heavy damage to Tyranitar
-Intimidate severely weaken it barring the special set
-Burn also weakens it except the specially-based mix set to an extent

Last edited:
I disagree with the arrangement of these sets and their contents. Cybertron has a nice analysis of what I'd like to see in our analysis here.

I would like to see from this analysis:

• The Special Attacking set as the first set. It's really good in an environment stuffed with Intimidate and Will-o-Wisp. Change the Moveset to Dark Pulse, Rock Slide, Fire Blast / Ice Beam, and Protect. Make the EVs aim for max speed and special attack as well, and slash Timid.
  • Dragon Dance as the second set. Have Tyranitarite as the main slash and then have Life Orb as a second slash. Make it something like Rock Slide, Crunch, Dragon Dance, Protect. The EVs listed in that video are sufficient for this. List the Tyranitarite EVs first, then mention in set comments the EVs for the non mega set.
  • A regular boring slow physical attacker set as his final set. Ignore the EVs that Gamer Boy listed as they are pretty wildly inefficient; 252 HP and 4 Defense reach both of those survival goals. Make the set something like Crunch, Rock Slide, Earthquake / Taunt / Fire Blast, Protect. Weakness Policy and Chople Berry make decent items for this set.

For the special set I'd honestly say just to pick two of Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Dark Pulse. They're all so team specific that it'd be hard to really say any one of those is best.

I've also really liked Scarf Ttar. The same as the Special set but with Timid and no Protect obviously. Not that strong, but with excellent coverage it gets all the OHKOs and 2HKOs it needs to.

ugh its a pain to navigate this with so many sets. i know this is wip, but can you just get rid of the physically based mega, physically based mixed attacker, and physical mega sets right off the bat? it would make this a lot easier to look at.

anyway, i have an alternate EV spread for a bulky-er specialtar that i think should be at least mentioned in the AC of the future specialtar set (with the main spread being 252 spa / 252 spe of course): 252 HP / 12 Atk / 54 Def / 108 SpA / 84 SpD with a quiet nature and 31 speed IVs. this EV spread ensures you live megachomper EQ in sand (idr nature, probably jolly) and modest zard solarbeam, along with being 3hko'd by bulkier rotom's hydro pump among other things. in fact, i recall winning a game with it recently with it living both a garchomp rock slide AND a timid charizard's solarbeam. the attack evs ensures an ohko on 4 hp chomper with ice beam w/o any boosting item and the 12 physical evs give you a 50% chance to ohko 4hp zard after an intimidate and ideally ko it with sandstorm damage afterwards should it survive the coin toss. quiet and 31 speed ivs allows you to outspeed adamant mawile, allowing you to hit it with fire blast before you take a play rough to the face. item wise, you're obviously not gonna use life orb, so give it lefties/sitrus or rocky helmet/expert belt. also, there's an extra 2 EVs floating around in there since i just pulled it from my ingame tar so someone should probably take those out.

for OO, mention focus blast in the same breath as brick break. rock polish specialtar might be worth mentioning here as well. go ahead and take out roseli berry, surf and outrage from oo. roseli berry's probably the only one that needs explaining; without a boost/boosting item, it can't ohko/do a whole lot mawile or gardevoir (whose attacks you can actually live without a berry), and azumarill already shits all over ttar anyway. while i'm at it, scarf probably needs to be its own set and out of oo.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ugh its a pain to navigate this with so many sets. i know this is wip, but can you just get rid of the physically based mega, physically based mixed attacker, and physical mega sets right off the bat? it would make this a lot easier to look at.

anyway, i have an alternate EV spread for a bulky-er specialtar that i think should be at least mentioned in the AC of the future specialtar set (with the main spread being 252 spa / 252 spe of course): 252 HP / 12 Atk / 54 Def / 108 SpA / 84 SpD with a quiet nature and 31 speed IVs. this EV spread ensures you live megachomper EQ in sand (idr nature, probably jolly) and modest zard solarbeam, along with being 3hko'd by bulkier rotom's hydro pump among other things. in fact, i recall winning a game with it recently with it living both a garchomp rock slide AND a timid charizard's solarbeam. the attack evs ensures an ohko on 4 hp chomper with ice beam w/o any boosting item and the 12 physical evs give you a 50% chance to ohko 4hp zard after an intimidate and ideally ko it with sandstorm damage afterwards should it survive the coin toss. quiet and 31 speed ivs allows you to outspeed adamant mawile, allowing you to hit it with fire blast before you take a play rough to the face. item wise, you're obviously not gonna use life orb, so give it lefties/sitrus or rocky helmet/expert belt. also, there's an extra 2 EVs floating around in there since i just pulled it from my ingame tar so someone should probably take those out.

for OO, mention focus blast in the same breath as brick break. rock polish specialtar might be worth mentioning here as well. go ahead and take out roseli berry, surf and outrage from oo. roseli berry's probably the only one that needs explaining; without a boost/boosting item, it can't ohko/do a whole lot mawile or gardevoir (whose attacks you can actually live without a berry), and azumarill already shits all over ttar anyway. while i'm at it, scarf probably needs to be its own set and out of oo.
OK. I have made some of the changes suggested. However, I have a few points:
  • I calced the EVs and Sand Force-boosted Jolly Mega Garchomp still has a 6.3% chance to OHKO. You would need 252 HP / 76 Def to secure the 2HKO, however they are generally running Adamant from my experience due to the low(er) speed stat and the fact that it hits like a truck in sandstorm with an Adamant nature.
  • You only need 4 SpD EVs to take a modest Megazard Y's Solar Beam in the sun and max spec. attack modest Rotom-Wash barely even 2HKOs in the sand, although I think you're right trying to get it to 3HKO for when the sand does run out
  • You outrun uninvested Adamant Mega Mawile with tyranitar having 0 EVs and a negative nature, so you don't need to EV it to outpace it
  • With max HP/Def impish you are still OHKOd 68.8% of the time by Mawile using the set on your Mawile analysis and it is guaranteed to OHKO when Tyranitar is Adamant or Quiet, hense the use for Roseli berry
  • Azu doesn't wreak on your life. Adamant, 252 Atk Azu's strongest attack is a guaranteed 2HKO with Tyranitar having 252HP/4Def investment, adamant/quiet
  • tbh, Tyranitar can't afford to give up Chople Berry if its not going to mega evolve or use Choice Scarf as otherwise Scrafty and Conkeldurr - in fact all fighting-types - s*** all over its life

Last edited:

Braverius

snowls
is a Past SPL Champion
I'd list mixtar's set as:
-Ice Beam
-Fire Blast
-Rock Slide
-Protect

I never have seen Dark Pulse run on a non-scarf mixtar.

Also, Snarl as a filler on ScarfTar is solid, probably worth mentioning.

Martin

OK I am thinking of adding a Mega set and I need a little help with the usage tips for the Scarf set. Any suggestions for either are appreciated

Martin

OK. This is QC Ready. However, I do have a slight issue as I can't change the title or the prefix. Could anyone help me with that?

OK. This is QC Ready. However, I do have a slight issue as I can't change the title or the prefix. Could anyone help me with that?
Actually I think I know the issue. The forums think that this belongs to Laurel even though you have the OP. Therefore, that is most likely the cause for you being unable to change the title.

Martin

Actually I think I know the issue. The forums think that this belongs to Laurel even though you have the OP. Therefore, that is most likely the cause for you being unable to change the title.
so should I just ask Laurel to change it when it needs changing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)