ORAS OU Tyranitar's Mega Sand Team

Hi Welcome to my raste my team, tyranitar's mega sand team. With the introduction fo megaevolution, many old pokemon such as charizard found a new lease of life in a terrifying and powerful metagame defining mega form. Unfortunately for some mega evolutions, metagames change, some just plain arn't an improvement over the origonal to make much difference, or some unlucky mega evolutions don't quite reach the heights of their prvolution for a varity of reasons, tyranitar-mega is the latter. With Vastly improved attack and bulk as well as a speed tier that puts it ahead of quite a few key threats after a dd, at a glance it seems odd tyranitar finds it's self rarely holding a mega stone. Unfortunately ASOR added to the game a great deal of fast mega's like m-lopbunny to stop tyranitars sweep. Not only that using it's mega stone, denies it's team the uise of another mega. The final nail in the coffin is the inability to hold an item, which denies it acess to a wide varity of sets, such as support, choice band, choice scarf ect. which tyranitar can do /or better. Still mega tyranitar is a very dangerous threat, that with the right support can clean teams with ease thanks to it's great stats, movepol, ability and stab combination. Underestimate this rocky godzilla pokemon at your pearl.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs

Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump

Keldeo has always beena a great partner for tyranitar, it's really an almost perfect mutal match between the two. Keldeo can take on the bulky ground types, some steel, normal (chansey) and pokemon ingeneral weak to Water/Ice/Fighting, while tyranitar shuts down cold pokemon such as lat@s and talonflame that otherwise kill or force keldeo out. the set is a simple choice specs wallbreaker, with maximium speed and special attack in eves and a speed boosting nature to tie and outspeed base 10-8 pokemon and bellow. The moves are simple, scald is a rleible form of water stab, that may get lucky with a burn, hydropump is powerful water stab to break walls appart, secret sword allows keldeo to hit on the physical side effectively making him a mini mixed sweeper and icey wind hurts dragons and slows down would be switchins, that otherwise kill keldeo like latios and either finnishes them off or renders them set up bait for tyranitar. Choice specs allows Keldeo to wall break with impunity from it's base 129 SpA stab.

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite

Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tyranitar has been an almost god like pokemon since it's release in gold and silver, even in the high prevelence of fighting types in gen 5, surving as atop metagame contender while fellow psedo legends and other buisers fall into obsurity such as salamence and terrakion. Unfortunately it's key selling point and the main reason a pokemon so slow and so many weaknesses still ranks among thew best -infinate weather- is now gone and tyranitar has suffered as such, as a consequence so has it's new mega form, that can't even blositer it's turns of sand due to it's lack of a held item. Still m-tars stats are anything but bad and it ticks many of the right boxes to pose a huge threat with the right support. Maxium attack and speed eves are nessary to not only hit the post 125 speed tier, but also deal significant damage with it's beefy attack stat, this is backed by a jolly nature to reach said speed tier. The moveset is simple, stone edge and dragon dance are compulsary, rock has fantastic coverage and dd is required for a sweep, after this crunch provied great duel stab and coverage against megaslowbro as well as stab that does not miss, this is then rounded off by fire punch as keldeo handles the ice/fighting coverage and helps ease the pressure on talonflame as recoil damage can be high.

Celebi @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 92 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

The oinion pokemon joins the team as a great answer to bulky water types in particular. such pokemon are of great detriment to the team, with the likes of azumaril, slowbro and keldeo all possing great threats. Keldeo offers the team the ability to cope with these threats better in addition to proiding the team with solid support in the form of stealth rock and thunder wave. The eves allopw keldeo to have a good mixed bulk, with 8 eves moved from the standard spread into Spd to often avoid a 2ko from hp ice thunderous. The nature is bold to give greater physical bulk. The move set is pretty standard with recover and gigia drain for stab and healing purposes, stealth rock as Skarmory is focusing on additional harzards to further weak switch ins and thunder wave to cripple threats so other team mates can better handle them. Lefties for additonal healing :P

Talonflame @ Leftovers

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 / 112 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Bulk Up

talonflame is another pokemon with a good synergy with tyranitar. Tyranitar hates fighting and talonflame eats them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Meantime talonflame aprecdhiates having it's counters worn down by tyranitar and vice versa, such as azumaril, which talonflame can puck off a weakened one. On the suggestion of Mur talonflamne was changed to it's current set to handle threats such as foul play msablye better. Not only this but the physically defensive build allows talon to deal with dark types better and cripple the threatining ground types to tyranitar with W-il-O-wisp. The eves, nature, set and item are as reasoned and suggested by Mur.

Skarmory @ Leftovers

Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Iron Head
- Roost

Skarmory joins the team as a mixed wall, counter to farries, stacker of hazards and stop to a few potention set up sweepers. to this end the eves are invensted in hp in special defence to allow maximium mixed bulk, by proping up skarmporys more lack luster special defence, to this end a careful nature is chosen to prop this weakness up more. The moveset is simple, spikes for additional hazards, roost for recovery, whrilwind to get rid of set up sweepers and iron head to hurt faries. leftovers allow aditional recovery.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon

Ability: Sand Rush
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Tyranitars partner in crim excadrill, the only viable pokemon that can abuse sand rush in ou. Excadrill can easily abuse the time under the sand with it's whopping over 500 base speed when it's up, combined with it's great ground stab, comming from 135 base attack and you really have a moster in the sand. The eves are simple, maximium attack and speed with an adamant nature to deal futher damage as excadrill lacks swords dance or a life orb. the moveset allows excadrill to support it's team rather than flat out sweep as talonflame requires hazard remove to function, which excadrill can provide, earthquake is powerul stab, rockslide allows exca to hit flying types that avoid it, while iron head rounds thing's off by an extra stab and the ability to hiut faries, which tyranitar dispises. Air baloon rounds thing'sd off as a way of mitigating it's ground weakness and allowing for potential free switch ins.

Last edited:

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man cool team! The overall synergy of the team is pretty good, however there are a few changes that I think would improve the team a bit :o

The first thing I'd change is to make ttar jolly. Jolly is needed to outpace everything in the base 115- weavile speed tier range after a dragon dance which you currently cannot do with adamant. Not to mention, you can get revenged by scarf tar with adamant which you definitely do not want. Pre-dd you also hit 265 speed with jolly which outspeeds (or speedties depending on if they creep) the common tank chomp and positive nature base 70's. While the power is nice the speed is definitely needed, especially with those faster mons being pretty common at the moment so jolly just makes Mtar a bit harder to stop after it gets going.

I'd also change talonflame to the bulky physdef set w/ bulk up. I noticed that the team can struggle a bit with foul play Msab since talon cannot beat that. Also, keldeo is a bit pressured to handle all the darks in the tier, specifically weavile now that they are running cb, since Mtar usually cannot be risked against a possible low kick and losing keld's item to a knock off is undesirable in most matchups. With this talon set, not only do you cover those threats and gain the ability to break sab, but you also gain the ability to burn grounds, such as lando, which can aid in supporting a Mtar sweep since it lacks ice punch. Fat talon also adds some extra security against Mgarde so that skarm is less pressured against those builds. Lastly talon can be used as a knock off absorber in the matchups where keld's spex would be beneficial to have. I'll leave the whole set below for you, it can also be checked out in action in the SPL discussion thread in the ou forum where you can see it being used in high level play :]

Last "change" is more of a personal thing but I always run jolly on my exca's just to outpace others in the sand, neutral nature base 100's, and fat talon which is a slight issue for you since it can burn ttar D: However, if the extra power is for something in particular then by all means go for it :]

Pretty solid Mtar build, hope I helped improve it :] I'll leave the changes in the tab below. Good luck with the team n_n

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Lol this is like advanceship's team with excadrill over donphan. You may want to make Mega Tyranitar into a jolly nature so that it can outspeed tornadus-t and weavile at a +1 dragon dance. Jolly also lets you outspeed bisharp while you are unboosted. Specially Defensive Talon with bulk up would be nice as you could set up on AV tornadus. I would recommend the itemless acrobatic's set so you won't wear from recoil damage after setting up. (torn seems to be a problem for your team).

Last edited:
Thanks for the rates guys, tyranitars nature is actually jolly, the move set has it adamant while my blurb bellow mentions it jolly XD mistake on showdown i guess. The talon set looks useful i'll test it out when i get back on my pc. Get where your comming from with excadrill, just one of those personal preference/team needs it boils down to with sr exca nature of choice.

Yes Dead on arrival I saw m-tar getting promoted on the home page news. Was origonaly going to make a team around nidoking, which i was currently working out, but seeing tar get promoted made me want to include him. It only ended up in the dropping of nidoking and excadrill a few times untill the laters return and tyranitars old pal keldeo taking over as wallbreaker. Coild always include an a to b of how things started and ended.

Hey man cool team! The overall synergy of the team is pretty good, however there are a few changes that I think would improve the team a bit :o

The first thing I'd change is to make ttar jolly. Jolly is needed to outpace everything in the base 115- weavile speed tier range after a dragon dance which you currently cannot do with adamant. Not to mention, you can get revenged by scarf tar with adamant which you definitely do not want. Pre-dd you also hit 265 speed with jolly which outspeeds (or speedties depending on if they creep) the common tank chomp and positive nature base 70's. While the power is nice the speed is definitely needed, especially with those faster mons being pretty common at the moment so jolly just makes Mtar a bit harder to stop after it gets going.

I'd also change talonflame to the bulky physdef set w/ bulk up. I noticed that the team can struggle a bit with foul play Msab since talon cannot beat that. Also, keldeo is a bit pressured to handle all the darks in the tier, specifically weavile now that they are running cb, since Mtar usually cannot be risked against a possible low kick and losing keld's item to a knock off is undesirable in most matchups. With this talon set, not only do you cover those threats and gain the ability to break sab, but you also gain the ability to burn grounds, such as lando, which can aid in supporting a Mtar sweep since it lacks ice punch. Fat talon also adds some extra security against Mgarde so that skarm is less pressured against those builds. Lastly talon can be used as a knock off absorber in the matchups where keld's spex would be beneficial to have. I'll leave the whole set below for you, it can also be checked out in action in the SPL discussion thread in the ou forum where you can see it being used in high level play :]

Last "change" is more of a personal thing but I always run jolly on my exca's just to outpace others in the sand, neutral nature base 100's, and fat talon which is a slight issue for you since it can burn ttar D: However, if the extra power is for something in particular then by all means go for it :]

Pretty solid Mtar build, hope I helped improve it :] I'll leave the changes in the tab below. Good luck with the team n_n

Talonflame @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Bulk Up

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Fire Punch

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)