U mad, T-Spikes? OU Stall

Hey everyone!
This is a team I've been using for awhile now. It's been successful, but I feel it hasn't quite reached its full potential. It's a stall based team with a little bit of offense thrown in to take down walls/other stall. As the title of the thread indicates, a neat perk of this team is that it's entirely immune to Toxic Spikes, which while unintentional is kind of awesome. Any constructive criticism is welcome.

THE PROCESS

I knew I wanted Spike Toxic Spikes seeing as this was a stall team. Skarmory has a bunch of great resistances and immunities, instant recovery, and Whirlwind for shuffling, so he was my choice. For Toxic Spikes, I picked Tentacruel for his good Special bulk and Speed.

Next, I needed Stealth Rocks. I went with Blissey for her great synergy with Skarmory and access to Aromatherapy.

With all the entry hazards on my team, I knew I needed a Spinblocker. Rotom-A was the obvious choice, with his great bulk, decent power, and ability to levitate.

Next, I felt I had to remove Steels who who are immune to Toxic Spikes. Magnezone is perfect for that, and so he got the fifth spot on my team.

Last, I wanted an offensive threat to both pick off weakened opponents and finish off the enemy's last pokemon. Flygon got the nod, with his good coverage and ability to scout with U-Turn, causing switches into entry hazards.

After testing, I found Magnezone was usually dead weight unless the opponent had a Skarmory, and that Blissey usually just became setup fodder.
I replaced Magnezone with SubRoost Zapdos and Blissey with Heatran, giving me more speed and offensive versatility.

Without further ado, my team!

THE TEAM

Tentacruel@Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
Calm Nature, 252 HP, 24Spe, 232 Sp.D
Surf
Toxic Spikes
Rapid Spin
Protect

I have Tentacruel leading off, mostly because I don't know who to lead off with. However, it's nice to have Toxic Spikes down early, and Tentacruel can do that with some reliability. However, many common leads (such as Azelf and Hippowdon) force him to switch out, which can get annoying Protect is to block fakeout, and can stall for poison damage and B-Sludge recovery late-game. Rapid Spin removes annoying entry hazards such as Stealth Rocks, and Surf is for STAB. If he survives the early game (he usually can), he makes a useable Special Wall, taking little even from Gengar's t-bolt (37-44%), not even a 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage.

Synergy:
Electric: Flygon, Rotom-C
Psychic: Skamory, Heatran
Ground: Skarm, Zapdos, Rotom-C, Flygon

Skarmory@Lum Berry
Keen Eye
Impish Nature, 252 HP, 248 Def, 8 Spe
Spikes
Whirlwind
Roost
Brave Bird

Skarmory is my Physical Wall, and he does a great job. As he is my only purely Physically defensive pokemon, I've invested fully in his Defense and HP (Except for 8 EVs). Spikes are for entry hazards, key to any stall team. Whirlwind is for shuffling, and the reason I use the extra 4 Speed EVs. They guarentee I outspeed most other Skarmory, so I can Whirlwind before they can. Roost is for reliable healing. Brave Bird is useful when Taunted, and in conjunction with Lum Berry can take out opposing Machamp and Breloom with ease.

Synergy:
Fire: Heatran, Flygon, Tentacruel
Electric: Flygon, Rotom-C

Heatran@Leftovers
Flash Fire
Timid Nature, 252HP, 252Spe, 4 Sp.A
Fire Blast
Earth Power
Stealth Rock
Will-O-Wisp

Heatran is probably my LVP, but he still does a decent job setting up rocks. He can also cause a ton of switches with his good resistances and powerful Fire Blast. I ran max Speed mostly to at least Speed tie with non-scarfed Heatran, and then just pumped the rest into HP for maximum bulk. Earth Power checks other Heatran, and Fire Blast is for STAB. I mostly ran Will-O-Wisp to cripple flying threats/ pokes immune to Poison.

Synergy:
Ground: Flygon, Skarm, Rotom-C, Zapdos
Fighting: Tentacruel, Zapdos, Rotom-C

Rotom-C@Leftovers
Levitate
Calm Nature, 252HP, 252 Sp.D, 4Sp.A
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Thunder Wave
Pain Split

In contrast to Heatran, Rotom is probably my co-MVP. Not only does he save my precious entry hazards, but he also takes care of fliers immune to T.Spikes. The given EVs give Rotom surprising Special bulk, able to survive a LO Gengar's Shadow Ball and OHKO back with a Shadow Ball of his own. He is my go-to pokemon when Tentacruel faces a bad lead matchup, being immune to Ground, resistant to Electric, and is able to hit Psychics super effectively with STAB Shadow Ball. T-Bolt and Shadow Ball are the obvious STAB, while Pain Split is for recovery an Thunder Wave can help cripple opponents if I fail to get up T.Spikes. Thunder Wave and Pain Split have great synergy, allowing Rotom to heal himself while damaging the enemy.

Synergy
Dark: Skarm, Heatran
Ghost: Skarm, Heatran(Ghosts can give me some trouble)

Flygon@Choice Scarf
Levitate
Adamant Nature, 252Att, 252Spe, 4 Sp.D
Earthquake
Outrage
U-Turn
Thunderpunch

Flygon is my revenge killer and scout, capable of causing multiple switches and taking out weakened opponents. Earthquake and Outrage are for STAB, and U-turn is for scouting. Thunderpunch is mostly for Gyarados, as Flygon can still outspeed after a Dragon Dance and OHKO. I ran Adamant for the added power, as I don't like relying on Speed ties so I usually switch when facing opposing Scarfgon anyways.

Synergy:
Dragon: Skarm, Heatran
Ice: Tentacruel, Heatran

Zapdos@Leftovers
Pressure
Timid Nature, 192 HP, 64 Def, 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Substitute
Roost
HP Ice

The other Co-MVP. Pressure allows me to PP stall out many pokemon such as Heatran's Fire Blast and T-Tar's Stone Edge, assuming I can get a substitute up. Zapdos's main job is to stall for poison damage, but it also packs quite a punch. Substitute blocks status and allows for PP stalling, and Roost is for recovery. T-bolt and HP ice form the infamous BoltBeam combo, unresisted by basically everything. Max Speed allows me to get up a fast Substitute, and the other EVs are for bulkiness. Even without Entry hazards up, many teams aren't ready for Zapdos, and he can decimate unprepared opposition.

Synergy:
Rock: Flygon...? (Skarm can take most Stone Edges though)
Ice: Tentacruel, Heatran

Threat List:
Abomnasnow: Really only seen as a lead. Tentacruel can set up TSpikes, and Heatran can OHKO later.
Aerodactyl: Again, only a lead. It gets up SR, but dies to Rotom. If the rare LO, Flygon can outspeed and KO with T-Punch
Azelf: Tentacruel must switch, But Rotom handles most variants.
Blissey: Setup bait for Tentacruel/Skarm/Heatran, and Toxic Spikes will eventuall take their toll. Flygon can KO Cleric versions.
Breloom: It usually Spores something, but Zapdos can take any of its moves and KO with HP Ice.
Bronzong: Kind of annoying if Heatran’s dead, but eventually falls to Zpados or Rotom.
Celebii: U-Turn maims it, and TSpikes essentially removes its Natural Cure.
Cresslia: Ooh boy. CM versions cause problems. Zapdos can PP stall if it avoids Ice Beam long enough to substitute, and Rotom can take down non-CM versions
Dragonite: Zapdos can KO with HP ice, and Flygon can KO with Outrage.
Dugtrio: Gets Heatran and Tentacruel I guess, but gets maimed by everything else. Anyways, who uses Durgtrio?
Dusknoir: Toxic Spikes really take their toll.
Flygon: Zapdos can tank a hit and OHKO with HP Ice. Skarm if it lacks Fire Blast. Prediction, but really annoying.
Forretress: Rotom Spinblocks, Tentacruel spins, Heatran destroys.
Gengar: Tentacruel can set up on it if at full health. Rotom can take a hit and KO with Shadow Ball. Flygon outspeeds and OHKOs with Outrage.
Gliscor: Zapdos comes in on EQ, Kos with HP Ice.
Gyarados: Rotom, Flygon, Zapdos all OHKO. Flygon outspeeds after a DD and still KOs
Heatran: Tentacruel takes little even from Earth Power, Heatran speed ties and OHKOs with Earth Power. Flygon.
Heracross: Skarm can wall it, Flygon can pick it off, Rotom gets in for free on CC.
Hippowdon: Skarm sets up on it, dies to T. Spikes eventually.
Infernape, Tentacruel walls and sets up on it, Flygon can revenge it. TSpikes.
Jirachi: Hax sucks, but Flygon at least speed ties and can KO with EQ. Heatran can KO as well. Only orange because of stupid @%$&@ paraflinch.
Jolteon:Flygon outspeeds and OHKOs. A full-health Heatran can take a hit and OHKO with Earth Power.
Kingdra: Once I know the set, I’m fine. Skarm walls Physical ones, and Flygon can outspeed and OHKO even after a DD. TSpikes.
Lucario: Zapdos can survive anything except Stone Edge, and KO if it’s weakened. But easily the biggest problem I have.
Machamp: Skarm can take a D-Punch, Lum it off, and Brave Bird ‘Champ to oblivion. Anything on my team picks off a weakened one.
Magnezone: Gets Skarm, but Flygon, and Heatran OHKO while Rotom blocks Explosion.
Mamoswine: Super rare, but Skarm can stop it and set up. TSpikes.
Metagross: Skarm sets up on it. Rotom/Zapdos can kill it eventually
Porygon-Z: Flygon revenges it easily, but it normally doesn’t get the chance to set up; I just attack right away. TSpikes.
Raikou: Flygon OHKOs, Rotom T-Waves, TSpikes.
Rosearde: Usually sleeps something, but I'm immune to her Toxic Spikes and destroy her with Heatran, Skarmory, or Zapdos.
Rotom-A: My own Rotom-A can fight it until both are practically dead. Flygon picks it off. Heatran dents with Fire Blast, but dislikes paralysis.
Scizor: Heatran kills and Skarm walls.
Skarmory: My one Skarmory outspeeds and pseudohazes out. Zapdos and Rotom.
Starmie: Really annoying. It outspeeds and can 2HKO Rotom, and can rapid spin my hazards. But Zapdos can take an Ice beam, and Rotom/ Flygon can revenge it.
Suicune: Rotom/Zapdos/TSpikes
Swampert: Lol
Togekiss: Again, Hax Sucks. But Zapdos can get a Sub up and KO with Thunderbolt.
T-Tar: Really depends on the set, but TSpikes regardless.
Zapdos: SR wears it down, and Rotom can eventually KO with Thunderbolt. Flygon can revenge weakened ones. Defensive ones can be problematic.

You'll likely be better off leading with Skarmory. Brave Bird takes care of Machamp, but those are getting much less common as leads. Taunt can be a good option instead, since it helps against stall and works really well with Lum to shut down sleep leads like Roserade or Smeargle.

Heatran needs more Special Defense to handle opposing Zapdos. I think you'd be much better off with a Calm nature and an EV spread emphasizing HP and Special Defense. In that case, either Flamethrower or Lava Plume provides more reliability than Fire Blast. The former has higher power while the latter provides a useful 30% burn rate, which is helpful for hitting common switch-ins like Tyranitar and Gyarados. You can also try out Roar in the last moveslot; Heatran can force a lot of switches and having two phazers really helps you abuse your entry hazards.

Rotom's set is a bit of an anomaly. It's too easily trapped by Tyranitar and doesn't take good advantage of its bulk investment. Since you currently have some SD Lucario issues, you could simply Scarf it and go with the Wash forme to hit Tyranitar on the switch. Thunderbolt / Shadow Ball / Hydro Pump / Trick should do fine, although you may want to include a few more HP EVs than the standard Scarf set lists. Good luck!

I agree with Faladran that you should lead with Skarmory. I also agree you should use a spread on Heatran that is more specially defensive. 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe is probably a good spread.

Some threats to your team are Superachi with HP Ground who sweeps your team when Flygon is down, SD Lucario who sweeps your team anytime and Zapdos, but he is handled by Heatran if you choose the aforementioned spread.

Therefore I like to suggest using Celebi. Celebi resists all of Psychic / Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Ground and also resists Lucario's Close Combat and can attack back with Hidden Power Fire. I suggest using it over Zapdos. You also complete the o so famous FWG core. The set I'm talking about is SubSeed Celebi. He keeps the stalling capabilities SubRoost Zapdos has and also packs a reasonable punch. This is the set:

Celebi @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
Timid | 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Substitute / Leech Seed / Hidden Power Fire / Grass Knot

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I had Skarm leading before, but felt he died too much in the lead position. I'll give him another chance. The changes to Heatran are a great idea, I'll be sure to try them out.

@Tomahawk9: I like the idea of Celebii, but I hate to get rid of Zapdos. I'll test him out though, thanks!

@Faladran: I'll be sure to change Rotom to the Wash form, that solves his T-Tar problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)