Uber Balance

Hi guys, I'm Liimujx and I've been playing Ubers on pokemonshowdown for about 4 months now. I've made many teams during this time, some successful and others not very. The playstyles that I enjoy are Hyper Offense and Balance. The team I am sharing is a Balanced one utilizing two weather starters, but doesn't rely heavily on either weather.

Teambuilding Process:
The first thing that I wanted to incorporate into my team was Arceus-Fighting. I liked the idea of a bulky arceus that could spread paralysis to support bulky offensive pokemon. I initially tried Arceus-Grass but I didn't like the fact that Genesect and Kyurem-White absolutely wrecked it and the fact that it was spikes bait for Ferrothorn. Arceus-Grass had some important resistances, but I found them overshadowed by its many weaknesses.

Arceus-Fighting could handle the above mentioned pokemon by either paralyzing them or firing off a judgement. The only weaknesses that it has are flying and psychic, not very common attacking types. After deciding on my specially based tank, I decided to get Skarmory to wall most common physical attackers and to stack spikes. These two pokemon form my defensive core.

I chose Tyranitar as my Stealth Rock setter since it can usually reliably get rocks up. Since I relied heavily on hazards, I needed to get a spinblocker and I chose Giratina-O since my Arceus form was already taken. Giratina-O also serves as one of my bulky, slow attackers that relies on the paralysis support Arceus-Fighting can provide.

As for my wallbreaker, I chose bulky specs Kyogre since very little can avoid a 2hko from Specs Waterspout. The rain it summons allows Skarmory to be able to handle Ho-Oh better as Sacred Fire from the SubRoost set does around 30% in rain. The rain also supports my final pokemon Palkia. The Palkia set I chose was the choice scarf set as I needed both a kyogre check and a scarfer.

Analysis For Each Team Member:

Arceus-Fighting @ Fist Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Arceus-Fighting is a very underrated defensive threat in the Ubers Metagame. My Arceus-Fighting is EV'd to be able to outspeed Neutral 95s and to be as specially bulky as possible. Having reliable recovery and few weaknesses make it very tough to take down. Its fighting stab is amazing, hitting Dialga, Kyurem-White, Ferrothorn, Arceus-Normal, Terrakion, Tyranitar and Excadrill for Super Effective damage. Ice beam provides a coverage move that goes well with Judgement allowing it to hit Giratina-O, Lugia and Rayquaza. Recover is obligatory for support arceus and Thunder Wave is my support move allowing Arceus-Fighting to fish for full paralysis while recovering after which Arceus-Fighting can respond with an attack and repeat the cycle again.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Skarmory is another underrated threat in Ubers. It is able to completely wall SD variants of Arceus and set up spikes on them/toxic/whirlwind. It also walls RP groudon and support groudon lacking Fire punch, Excadrill, Giratina-O lacking Thunder or HP Fire in Sun. I chose rocky helmet over leftovers to to quickly wear down physical attackers and to prevent spinning when the spinner is below 17% hp. The moves are pretty standard: Roost for recovery, Spikes for extra entry hazards, Whirlwind to prevent setup, Toxic to ruin SD arceus and certain support arceus like Arceus-Grass.

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Superpower

Tyranitar is my Stealth Rock setter and a way to check swift swimmers and Manaphy. As a lead, Tyranitar can beat Deoxys-S lacking Superpower, Sash Darkrai(Superpower brings Darkrai down to <6%) and Smeargle due to Lum Berry, and the sand it summons can break Deoxys-A's sash after a quick switch to Giratina-O to absorb a Fighting Move. Tyranitar is able to take non-SE special moves very well such as Ice Beams and Thunders from Kyogre which gives it many opportunities to set up SR if the lead matchup is not favorable. Tyranitar is also able to take on CM ghostceus after Arceus-Fighting gets a paralyze off.
The moves on Tyranitar are pretty standard, Fire blast for Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory. Crunch for Mewtwo, Deoxys, Lugia and the Lati Twins. Stealth Rock is a hazard every team needs. Superpower mainly just for Darkrai and possibly to wear down E-killer.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

Since my Team relies on hazards, I chose as Giratina-O as my spinblocker and as a bulky physical attacker. I have max attack to hit as hard as possible, Outrage does a lot of damage to non-physically bulky pokemon. For example offensive Kyogre takes around 80% from Outrage and E-Killer is 2hkoed by it after SR. Dragon Tail is to rack up residual damage and to phase out E-killer if Skarmory is down for some reason. Shadow Sneak is my only priority and very useful for picking off weakened pokemon. Earthquake is so I can hit Excadrill and Tentacruel hard. Giratina-O has good synergy with Tyranitar, being immune to the fighting and ground moves that Tyranitar tends to draw.

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Specs Kyogre is pretty standard. My Kyogre is somewhat different from others though, I have enough speed to outspeed most support base 90s and enough bulk to help me survive moves like Mewtwo's Psystrike after some SR switchins. Kyogre really enjoys the paralysis support from Arceus-Fighting as it has the power to 2HKO many faster threats after they are paralyzed. Not much else to say about Kyogre as I'm sure everyone reading this will have seen Specs Ogre.

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

My last Pokemon is my Palkia equipped with a Choice Scarf. Many players have ridiculed scarf Palkia due to its "lack" of power. With rain support it is able to OHKO scarf Genesect, Darkrai and Mewtwo after Stealth Rocks with surf. It is also able to OHKO dragons not named Latios, Latias, Giratina and Dialga. All pokemon that can be dealt with by Arceus-Fighting, Giratina-O or Tyranitar. The moves and EVs on Palkia are standard, Surf is its strongest move with rain, Spacial Rend is a good dragon STAB, Thunder is for Kyogre, Fire Blast is for predicted Ferrothorns.

Importable:
Code:
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Toxic

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 44 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Superpower

Arceus-Fighting @ Fist Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SDef / 56 Spd
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Judgment
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SAtk / 104 Spd
Modest Nature
- Water Spout
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

liimujx nice team! :P There is really nothing to fix, you seem to have most of the metagame under your thumb. MixQuaza can be a real problem, as only ScarfKia on your team can really check it. There is really nothing to do about this, as balanced teams usually wrecked by MixQuaza. Furthermore, SpecsOgre can give you trouble. Palkia isnt really the greatest switch in, and its not like HO where you can just sack a mon and move on. For that reason, i would change Tyrantitar to Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn provides a secondary switch into Ogre and provides a pokemon that can take on threats such as Palkia and Latios.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
252 hp/252 spdef/4 def
Sassy
Iron Barbs

Gyro Ball/Power Whip
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
Protect/Thunder Wave

Use Power Whip+T-wave or Gyro Ball+Protect, never mix and match the two :P.

Now, I have some shaky suggestions. Put taunt somewhere on Skarms moveset, your team really hates hazards and you have no way of hazard prevention. You can put spikes on Ferro (if you use him) or something.

Well, right off the bat, this seems like a pretty solid Ubers team.

Many players have ridiculed scarf Palkia due to its "lack" of power. With rain support it is able to OHKO scarf Genesect, Darkrai and Mewtwo after Stealth Rocks with surf.
Why not run Hydro Pump? Sure, the accuracy is less, but you'll net some KOs without the need for SR if you're in the rain.

More to be added.

Well, right off the bat, this seems like a pretty solid Ubers team.

Why not run Hydro Pump? Sure, the accuracy is less, but you'll net some KOs without the need for SR if you're in the rain.

More to be added.
I don't run hydro pump because all the relevant things that surf is targetting will be KOed even without SR except mewtwo which requires SR or 1 round of LO recoil. The main purpose of Palkia is simply to clean and not wallbreak, if i were to miss a hydro pump on something like genesect the game could easily shift to the opponent's favor. For me the potential risks are not worth the reward. And thanks for persuading me to make a RMT, was fun writing it.

liimujx nice team! :P There is really nothing to fix, you seem to have most of the metagame under your thumb. MixQuaza can be a real problem, as only ScarfKia on your team can really check it. There is really nothing to do about this, as balanced teams usually wrecked by MixQuaza. Furthermore, SpecsOgre can give you trouble. Palkia isnt really the greatest switch in, and its not like HO where you can just sack a mon and move on. For that reason, i would change Tyrantitar to Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn provides a secondary switch into Ogre and provides a pokemon that can take on threats such as Palkia and Latios.

Ferrothorn@Leftovers
252 hp/252 spdef/4 def
Sassy
Iron Barbs

Gyro Ball/Power Whip
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
Protect/Thunder Wave

Use Power Whip+T-wave or Gyro Ball+Protect, never mix and match the two :P.

Now, I have some shaky suggestions. Put taunt somewhere on Skarms moveset, your team really hates hazards and you have no way of hazard prevention. You can put spikes on Ferro (if you use him) or something.
I agree with the weaknesses to rayquaza and specs ogre, if the set is SD, I try to handle it with Fightceus who doesn't get koed by Espeed and can ohko with ice beam. DD and mixedquaza can be checked by kia and healthy arceus and possibly picked off by shadow sneak. As for the Ferro suggestion, I prefer to have a somewhat offensive rock setter and I can usually handle Kyogre pretty well by wearing it down with palkia and tyranitar if they go for thunder/ice beam and with hazard damage. I have used taunt on skarmory before and it is good, but sadly I suffer from 4 move slot syndrome, If i don't have toxic, SD arceus as last pokemon standing can beat me (This happens surprisingly often). With taunt I can shut down sleeptalk Giratina, Lugia, Ferro which I love to do, but through the games I've played I've typically found toxic to be more helpful as SD arceus on Hyper Offense is more common than full stall teams which I can struggle with.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you are absolutely decimated by latios. tyranitar, while a strong counter indeed, cannot eliminate due to no recovery nor pursuit. i dont really think you can patch this up honestly, unless you want to sacrifice fire blast for it, but then you become even more weak to spikes as you lack a spinner. i think that if you go this path you should go hp fire > eq on tina-o; you now hit all skarmer, forry, ferro, exca and outrage hits tentacruel harder anyway. you miss out heatran but you have fight arc and ttar so i guess you can be alright, while not the best solution due to toxic / plume burns. you should use hydro pump > surf on specs ogre imo, it helps out with dishing out serious damage even when weakened which can be extremely helpful vs cm arceus. zekrom leaves a gigantic mark on you. the mixed set can nuke a lot of things whereas scarf has the potential to sweep you. you need to play very well by keeping hazards off and playing the zekrom with skarmory/tina-o/fight arc. arceus ghost can be a pain, but you have plenty ways to stop it [toxic skarm, twave + ttar, ogre (shrang :D)], so dont mess up, because otherwise he will weaken you to a point you can no longer take attacks. physical attackers can destroy you as well, skarmory won't be able to take on all the pressure on its own. the team is pretty much locked honestly, you can't really change a lot of things... arceus is really the most expandable one for another forme but you really appreciate the fighting stab. good luck!! :toast:

Palkia comes in
>game ends

Latios comes in
>game ends

also furai i think u say this on every rmt: "the team is pretty much locked honestly, you can't really change a lot of things."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)