Ubers is now a tier; a new Metagame called Anything Goes is added; M-Ray is banned from Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah remembering that we're not the target audience for most of this and that when they do balance it's not for the cover legends and it's for VGC.
Right, isn't this the reason Selfdestruct and Explosion were badly nerfed in Gen V? (It's extremely powerful in Doubles, even more so in 4v4.)

I don't know about Anything Goes, but when Rayquaza was in Ubers most people would agree the best set was Swords Dance:

The Ascendant
########
name: The Ascendant
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Dragon Ascent
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Extremespeed
item: Life Orb
ability: Air Lock --> Delta Stream
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

The speed boost from Dragon Dance was hardly necessary when you have a +2 priority 80 base power move coming off of Life Orb boosted base 180 Attack, so it was often better to just run Swords Dance to make Rayquaza basically OHKO everything with Dragon Ascent.
OK thanks. Are the sets in this page (http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/rayquaza) still reliable?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
When the games themselves provide a full in-universe explanation for why Rayquaza can Mega Evolve without a stone (tl;dr Ray has unique superior biology), I'd have to imagine Game Freak was at least somewhat aware of what they were doing when they carried this out. I mean they didn't give him the "Literally God" treatment and officially call him Lord Rayquaza for nothing. If he's not going to be allowed in their official format regardless I don't see what reason they had to not make Mega Ray as broken as they did.

That aside he is supposed to be better than the Primals, I guess being better than Primal Groudon just happens to overlap with being too good for Smogon Ubers.
Keep in mind this is the same company that gave Aegislash base 150 SpA and then were genuinely surprised when people used it as a special attacker.

EDIT: Source (question #6)

Last edited:

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
Keep in mind this is the same company that gave Aegislash base 150 SpA and then were genuinely surprised when people used it as a special attacker.
Oh definitely, that's a very fair point. I mean this is also the same company that was initially surprised to see Mega Kangaskhan turn out to be so popular. That being said this same company also made good Megas out of things like Beedrill and Lopunny. With some of these ORAS Megas and their stat distributions no doubt they've got some idea of what they're doing with these newer Megas (at worst they're still more aware than XY's Crunch-less Gyarados). I mean they still gave Audino Healer over Regenerator so obviously they're not perfect but knowing Game Freak there will always be one of those.

The Primals and Mega Ray are a somewhat different case regardless though, mascot legends just aren't meant to be balanced in the first place so naturally the Primals/Mega would follow suit. As far as balance is concerned they probably only cared that Mega Ray was the best of the trio, otherwise they evidently went all out because fulfilling that ever important plot agenda in a Pokemon game.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Oh definitely, that's a very fair point. I mean this is also the same company that was initially surprised to see Mega Kangaskhan turn out to be so popular. That being said this same company also made good Megas out of things like Beedrill and Lopunny. With some of these ORAS Megas and their stat distributions no doubt they've got some idea of what they're doing with these newer Megas (at worst they're still more aware than XY's Crunch-less Gyarados). I mean they still gave Audino Healer over Regenerator so obviously they're not perfect but knowing Game Freak there will always be one of those.

The Primals and Mega Ray are a somewhat different case regardless though, mascot legends just aren't meant to be balanced in the first place so naturally the Primals/Mega would follow suit. As far as balance is concerned they probably only cared that Mega Ray was the best of the trio, otherwise they evidently went all out because fulfilling that ever important plot agenda in a Pokemon game.
I don't recall Gamefreak being suprised at Mega Kangaskahns popularity

EDIT: Source (question #6)
The reason they were surprised was because Aegislash's special movepool consists of a whooping 3 moves (Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and Hidden Power). Of these, Shadow Ball is the only one that sees significant use. Now compare that with its physical movepool and boosting moves and you'll see why they were surprised.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
The reason they were surprised was because Aegislash's special movepool consists of a whooping 3 moves (Shadow Ball, Flash Cannon and Hidden Power). Of these, Shadow Ball is the only one that sees significant use. Now compare that with its physical movepool and boosting moves and you'll see why they were surprised.
Still though it has a grand total of 150 SpA, its silly for them to expect that it wouldn't be used as a special attacker

Ubers Isn't Just A Banlist, So More Pokemon Are Being Moved Up. These Pokemon Dominate In OU But Compared To Mega Mewtwo And Rayquazza And Such, They're Hopeless. Maybe A New Tier, Named AU(Always Used) Could Be Made Which Is Between OU And Ubers. You Could Bring Down Underused Ubers Pokemon Like Mega Alakazam, Blaziken, Aegislash, Etc. You Could Also Bring Up The Incredibly Often Used OU Pokemon Such As Rotom - Wash And Non-Mega Salamence. This Would Add Interesting New Gameplay And Movesets, And Would Add A Little Spice To WiFi Battles As A Whole. I Said This On Another Thread But It Was Locked, And I'm Not Sure Why(I'm New To The Smogon Forums)

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Ubers Isn't Just A Banlist, So More Pokemon Are Being Moved Up. These Pokemon Dominate In OU But Compared To Mega Mewtwo And Rayquazza And Such, They're Hopeless. Maybe A New Tier, Named AU(Always Used) Could Be Made Which Is Between OU And Ubers. You Could Bring Down Underused Ubers Pokemon Like Mega Alakazam, Blaziken, Aegislash, Etc. You Could Also Bring Up The Incredibly Often Used OU Pokemon Such As Rotom - Wash And Non-Mega Salamence. This Would Add Interesting New Gameplay And Movesets, And Would Add A Little Spice To WiFi Battles As A Whole. I Said This On Another Thread But It Was Locked, And I'm Not Sure Why(I'm New To The Smogon Forums)
First of all, Stop Making The First Letter Of Every Word Capital, It's Annoying As Hell. Secondly, this is not at necessary, there are only a couple ubers who are really not viable in the metagame (Not counting shitty Arceus forms), these are ,Deoxys, Deoxys-D, Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, and Reshiram, 5 pokemon isn't nearly enough to make a new tier. Finally Mega Alakazam is not uber and nobody uses Salamence in OU. Also if the thread was locked why post it here, speaking of which nice double post

And Yet Smogon Still Suggest It As A Mixed Attacker, When Life Orb Swords Dance Shadow Sneak Sacred Sword Night Slash/Iron Head(DOES AEGISLASH EVEN HAVE A HEAD??)/Kings Sheild Is The Reason Its In Ubers.....

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
And Yet Smogon Still Suggest It As A Mixed Attacker, When Life Orb Swords Dance Shadow Sneak Sacred Sword Night Slash/Iron Head(DOES AEGISLASH EVEN HAVE A HEAD??)/Kings Sheild Is The Reason Its In Ubers.....
Aegislash was not banned for that set (Infact that set sucks balls), it was banned for its incredible versility, it could be using the mixed set, subtoxic, or even an automize sweeping set, also I fail to see how that is relevant to what I'm saying

Copy-pasted from SQSA:

I've seen this proposed before, and I believe that the problem with that idea is that there just aren't enough mons to really justify this. Assuming that the tier consisted of any Uber that was banned from OU, you'd pretty much end up with an overcentralized version of OU. Now, the tier would either have to use the Ubers mindset of "Battle of the Best of the Best" or the OU mindset of trying to have a non-centralized metagame. If you use the OU mindset, then you're just going to end up with another OU.

If you use the Ubers mindset, then you're dealing with a tier whose boss mons are pretty limited compared to Ubers: MegaMence, MegaBlaze, MegaGar, MegaKhan, MegaLuke, MegaMaw, Genesect, Aegislash, Greninja, and Deos S, D and N. This seems like a lot, but in terms of power not all of the megas are really equal, so you would most likely only see Mega Mence, MegaGar, and MegaKhan for the most part, thus leaving you with a small pool of new toys that aren't already usable in OU. If you try and take out the quick-banned ones to diversify the number of Megas used, then you're dealing with a very small pool of boss monsters. You'd basically end up with a tier whose player base consists of players who don't like Ubers, don't care about overcentralization, and want to use the mons we banned in OU in conjunction with OU mons, which is not a large enough player base to really justify this.
Also, your sense of usage is way off. No one uses Mega Alakazam in Ubers, normal Salamence is not even OU, and Rotom-Wash is pretty bad against Ubers level mons.

Maybe Also Make A Super Ubers Teir Where Mewtwo, Both Its Megas, Arceus, Rayquazza, And Mega Rayquazza Can All Be Matched In Strength By One Another
Unless you're going to screw with their Base Stats (which is more of a pet mod) or do a complex ban on what Mega Rayquaza can hold, you can't possibly match these to Mega Rayquaza.

First of all, Stop Making The First Letter Of Every Word Capital, It's Annoying As Hell. Secondly, this is not at necessary, there are only a couple ubers who are really not viable in the metagame (Not counting shitty Arceus forms), these are ,Deoxys, Deoxys-D, Mega Lucario, Mega Mawile, and Reshiram, 5 pokemon isn't nearly enough to make a new tier. Finally Mega Alakazam is not uber and nobody uses Salamence in OU. Also if the thread was locked why post it here, speaking of which nice double post
A Few? All the ones i've said were because i've battled in ubers 50+ times and have seen them 0-1 times, and many more i cant remember. Secondly, Making The First Letter Of Every Word Capital Shows I Put Time Into What Im Saying, And Didnt Type It In The Time It Took For My Page To Load Once I Sent My Message. Third of all I said im new to the forums, so i didnt know you shouldn't double post. 4th of all salamence is used all the time in OU with a d-dance dragon rush set. 5TH OF ALL I said some pokemon could also be moved up from ou - such as the rotom wash suggestion. 6th of all Mega Alakazam Is In BL Which Is Basiclly Ubers, And What Im Trying To Say Is Fill Up BL And Make It Seem Like More Of An Actual Tier. I'm fine with you having your own opinion, just don't diss mine. This is why the internet is what it is today. Edit - people seem to agree with me, as my alerts say i got 20+ likes in the whole 2-3 minutes this has been up

p2

Banned deucer.
A Few? All the ones i've said were because i've battled in ubers 50+ times and have seen them 0-1 times, and many more i cant remember. Secondly, Making The First Letter Of Every Word Capital Shows I Put Time Into What Im Saying, And Didnt Type It In The Time It Took For My Page To Load Once I Sent My Message. Third of all I said im new to the forums, so i didnt know you shouldn't double post. 4th of all salamence is used all the time in OU with a d-dance dragon rush set. 5TH OF ALL I said some pokemon could also be moved up from ou - such as the rotom wash suggestion. 6th of all Mega Alakazam Is In BL Which Is Basiclly Ubers, And What Im Trying To Say Is Fill Up BL And Make It Seem Like More Of An Actual Tier. I'm fine with you having your own opinion, just don't diss mine. This is why the internet is what it is today. Edit - people seem to agree with me, as my alerts say i got 20+ likes in the whole 2-3 minutes this has been up
please stop

Copy-pasted from SQSA:

Also, your sense of usage is way off. No one uses Mega Alakazam in Ubers, normal Salamence is not even OU, and Rotom-Wash is pretty bad against Ubers level mons.

Unless you're going to screw with their Base Stats (which is more of a pet mod) or do a complex ban on what Mega Rayquaza can hold, you can't possibly match these to Mega Rayquaza.
I See What You're Trying To Say, But Im Just Trying To Give Some Attention To The Rarely Used Ubers Pokemon, And The Same For OU By Bringing Up The Heavily Used Pokemon, Leaving Empty Slots To Be Filled By Slightly Underused Pokemon. I Either Go Into OU And See The Same 30ish Pokemon, Or Go Into Ubers And See The Same 15ish Pokemon. I Just Want To See Some Underused Pokemon Be In The Spotlight A Little More

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
A Few? All the ones i've said were because i've battled in ubers 50+ times and have seen them 0-1 times, and many more i cant remember. Secondly, Making The First Letter Of Every Word Capital Shows I Put Time Into What Im Saying, And Didnt Type It In The Time It Took For My Page To Load Once I Sent My Message. Third of all I said im new to the forums, so i didnt know you shouldn't double post. 4th of all salamence is used all the time in OU with a d-dance dragon rush set. 5TH OF ALL I said some pokemon could also be moved up from ou - such as the rotom wash suggestion. I'm fine with you having your own opinion, just don't diss mine. This is why the internet is what it is today. Edit - people seem to agree with me, as my alerts say i got 20+ likes in the whole 2-3 minutes this has been up
61 | Salamence | 2.59399% (0 Stats)
110 | Salamence | 0.66910% | (1695 Stats)

Salamence isn't used much at in OU, infact it doesn't even enough usage to be tired OU. Also, usage doesn't matter at all when it comes to Viability, look at Ambipom in RU that thing sucks there yet it gets pretty good usage, or look at Arceus-Dark here, its pretty good in ubers but doesn't get much usage at all. Also, why take away pokemon from OU just to put these "unviable" pokemon in a place they can be viable, all that is really doing is a disservice to OU. Also, those likes aren't exactly saying that people agree with you, it's mostly people just liking content they think is hilarious

I See What You're Trying To Say, But Im Just Trying To Give Some Attention To The Rarely Used Ubers Pokemon, And The Same For OU By Bringing Up The Heavily Used Pokemon, Leaving Empty Slots To Be Filled By Slightly Underused Pokemon. I Either Go Into OU And See The Same 30ish Pokemon, Or Go Into Ubers And See The Same 15ish Pokemon. I Just Want To See Some Underused Pokemon Be In The Spotlight A Little More
There are atleast 50 pokemon who are OU, and if Ubers was usage tier, then it would have like 30 almost 40 pokemon ranked Uber, I don't see how their is a problem of low usage at all, also since you're unbanning so few ubers, then the whole thing will just become a cycle (1: Something is banned from OU 2: It is deemed to bad for ubers, so its dropped to the new tier 3: It is deemed to broken for the new tier, so it rises to ubers 4: Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for eternity)

A Few? All the ones i've said were because i've battled in ubers 50+ times and have seen them 0-1 times, and many more i cant remember.
Viability =/= usage. If you just started laddering, you're less likely to see things that are lower in viability because they aren't easy to use.

5TH OF ALL I said some pokemon could also be moved up from ou - such as the rotom wash suggestion. I'm fine with you having your own opinion, just don't diss mine. This is why the internet is what it is today.
"Moving up to Ubers" suggests a ban, and no one is going to ban Rotom-W. You can use it if you want, but no one needs to move it. All you'd be doing is robbing OU of a mon that would see no usage in Ubers.

Edit - people seem to agree with me, as my alerts say i got 20+ likes in the whole 2-3 minutes this has been up
Try about 4, and it's not because they all agree with you.

So first, you don't need to capitalize every letter to show that you are thinking about what you write. Having something with content should do the work for you. Second, you don't seem to understand how meta games work. Let's say you randomly banned things that saw high usage. Sure, for a while, new mons would show up, but eventually the meta would stabilize, and you'll go back to seeing the same mons on every team. What will you do then? Flood Ubers with more useless mons? You'll eventually run out of mons. Drop unbroken mons back in? Why bother banning them then? Seeing the same mons after a while is not something you can fix; it's the nature of the competitive system. Also, making Rotom-W uber would be meaningless; just because something is sent to Ubers doesn't mean that everyone playing Ubers will use it.

By the way, can someone explain why this thread hasn't been locked yet? It's been months since this change and I can't see anything positive coming out of this thread any more.

Well I think that GameFreak make the Pokémon's stats, movepool, etc not for battling, just as the Pokémon should be. It would be illogical to have Alakazam inherit a high Attack stat if its Pokédex entry states otherwise. If GameFreak were to build Pokémon to be competitive, we would've seen more Mega-Kangaskhan-like Pokémon skipping around the heads of other Pokémon.

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Try about 4, and it's not because they all agree with you.?
Hmmmmm Well Saying 20ish Messages Popped Up In My Alerts Saying " " Liked Your Post On The Thread "ubers is now a tier a new metagame called anything goes is added m ray is banned from ubers. Im Never Going On The Forums Again, Thank You Everyone
Have a wonderful time!

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Anytime a user suggests a tier between OU and Ubers strict action should be taken. This is an ongoing issue that happens literally every day in the Ubers room, and myself along with several other users are sick of it. We have strict rules about similar issues (Chansey as one example) that have hammered regular Ubers players so hard with stupidity that action had to be taken. Such action should be applied to this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)