[Ubers] SubSalac Chomp Team

A Sand Team:

All right: I need a bit of help. In Ubers, I'm only really good at designing orthodox offensive teams and stall teams, and unfortunately, my latest team is not quite any of those. It is a little wonky right now, although it works. The idea here is to overcome Groudon and/or Lugia and sweep with either Bulk Up Dialga or SubSalac Garchomp (supported by sand), covering other threats as well as possible. This team has some holes (see threat list), and mainly I would like to patch them up while maintaining the aforementioned strategy of the team.

At a glance...

In Depth

Tyrance (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Crunch
- Counter
---
Tyranitar was chosen as my lead because it gets up the Sandstorm for residual damage, and because of the usefulness of Taunt and Stealth Rock against stall teams. The combination of Taunt and Counter lets me kill enemy Groudon leads. If they attack first turn, I'll get up Stealth Rock while they fail to do so. Crunch is my move of choice against Deoxys-A and Deoxys-S. Against Darkrai leads, I just attack until they put me to sleep, then I go to Scizor. When faced with Kyogre and Dialga leads, I run into a bit of trouble. Finally, if he's alive, Tyranitar can check Ho-oh in an emergency (maybe I can bluff Stone Edge...)

Quazance @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 40 Atk/216 Spd/252 SAtk
Naive nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Extremespeed
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
---
Rayquaza serves as my primary wallbreaker, able to blast Groudon and Lugia switch-ins with its powerful Draco Meteor. MixRay is rarely seen for whatever reason, but that is truly a pity, as he hits like a truck, and nothing is truly safe against him. Any Dragon attacks aimed at Rayquaza are redirected to Scizor. ExtremeSpeed is the move of choice against offensive threats, while Outrage is useful against the occasional Blissey or Defensive Kyogre, though I've been thinking of using Brick Break. Finally, Rayquaza is an emergency check on things like SpecsOgre, whom .I fire a Draco Meteor at (thankfully Kyogre is slow, and I outspeed it).

Scizance (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 234 HP/100 Atk/176 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
---
Ubers is unfortunately full of lots of really fast, hard-hitting dudes, such as Skymin, Darkrai, Mewtwo, Latios, and Latias. Scizor is a great check on these guys, and U-turn is one of the best moves in the game. Unfortunately, he's walled by and setup fodder for Forretress, but c'est la vie. Whenever I see one, I U-turn to Mewtwo or Rayquaza, or Chomp if I've killed the enemy walls. The Bug-type move also helps wear down things like enemy Groudon. Pursuit is there to kill switching Psychics or just to hit them harder than Bullet Punch, and Bullet Punch is irreplacable.

Mewtance @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/92 Spd/164 SDef
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Light Screen
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Recover
---
You better hope you have Toxic Spikes up, because otherwise stall has almost no chance at beating this. This Mewtwo uses a Light Screen to support the team, while stalling out the enemy with Toxic, Taunt, and Recover. I find that I can effectively bluff a Calm Mind set with the Leftovers and Taunt, which makes this all the more effective. This is my switch-in to things like Lugia, who suffers against Toxic. Also, an emergency check on things like Latios, Latias, a rival Mewtwo and the remaining litany of powerful special attackers in Ubers.

Algance @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/6 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Outrage
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
---
Bulk Up Dialga is my check on things like most Kyogre, (barring Specs users) Giratina, and Scizor. He also poses the potential to sweep once Groudon and Lugia are removed, which is one of the goals of this team. If he's the last Pokemon against a stall team which has lost Groudon, then I have won, barring a serious misfortune. I hate that I can't say much about this dude, but there really isn't too much to say besides that he's a solid check on many threats and a win condition for my team if SubSalac Chomp kicks the bucket.

Chompance (M) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
---
SubSalac Chomp is a fun and useful sweeper to play with in the current metagame. I bring him out when Groudon and Lugia are rotting in their graves before attempting to sweep. Chomp is also an emergency check on SDQuaza (ExSpeed puts him into Salac range, while he KOes) and in general, members of the base 90-100 group. Substitute lets him try to abuse Sand Veil and protects him against fast sweepers like Latios, Latias, Skymin, and Mewtwo. The rest of the moves are explanatory. When using this Garchomp, I pretend like he's Scarfed, because almost all Chomps in Ubers are Scarfed. Then, I set up a Sub first turn and Swords Dance if possible, attacking if necessary. Scizor is annoying, but I can't quite fit in space for Magnezone on this team, so I just try to kill him with my other dudes, although in general my team is a bit Scizor-weak.

Major Threats:

Kyogre: Almost all variants are dealt with either by Dialga or by attacking. SpecsOgre is a problem, but the idea is to weaken its Water Spout, which isn't too hard to do with stuff like Garchomp and Rayquaza.

Groudon: Errrr, RPDon murders this team if allowed to setup, which he can do on Scizor if I haven't used U-turn. Leads are dealt with by Tyranitar to some extent. Otherwise, Rayquaza maims them on the switch-in.

Palkia: Prediction is the only counter to a Palkia. Scizor can handle the Dragon moves from the Scarfer. Garchomp revenge kills non-Scarfed variants.

Dialga: Liberal use of Taunts and powerful attacks stops the BU variant, while prediction beats the Scarfer.

Mewtwo: Scizor is my primary check, I guess my own Mewtwo is there in emergencies (and if there isn't Shadow Ball). Coverage Mewtwo is a problem, which is why I've been contemplating Metagross.

Wobbuffet: Only Garchomp and Scizor are really annoyed by him. Taunt, mixed attackers, and whatnot handle him quite well.

Giratina-O: base 90 Speed is a huge setback that leaves him open for revenge killing from Rayquaza and Garchomp. Tyranitar is there for emergencies.

Rayquaza: Mainly focus on stopping him from setting up. In emergencies, Garchomp can check the Swords Dancer.

Scizor: Don't taze me, bro, don't taze me! Scizor's U-turn is a huge problem for this team. Dialga's my only safe switch-in.

Deoxys-S: Tyranitar kills it with Crunch.

Final thoughts:
IMO, the team isn't bad, but there's room to improve. Help me patch up the holes, especially RPDon and CBZor.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not bad, but I have a few suggestions.

-Your team is really Ho-Oh weak. It easily comes in on Scizor and Mewtwo and WILL kill or cripple something on your team. You also lack hard counters to LO Darkrai, Groudon, DD Rayquaza, Mewtwos with Flamethrower and Scizor, all of which give this team pain. The best solution I see is to change Dialga to CroOgre:

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 SpA
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This thing beats stall pretty easily (you do have Scizor to Pursuit latias) and it gives you a nice answer to Groudon, Scizor, Ho-Oh, and Darkrai. If you are scared of Rayquaza setting up on you, you can try Ice Beam/Chesto Berry over Sleep Talk/Lefties.

I do not think Mewtwo has a place on this team. Everything it beats you have covered well by other things, and it seems kind of out of place on this otherwise offensive team. Why don't you try Scarf Palkia instead?

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder

My main reason for this suggestion is because this gives you a nice answer to Mewtwo w/ Flamethrower. It also covers DD Ray, since Scizor isn't enough to stop it IMO and it can set up on TTar. It also gives you a nice SpecsOgre switch-in.

Hopefully this will help. ^_^

your team will lose to every stall team with one of those annoying as fuck physically defensive mewtwos with taunt light screen WoW and recover. The only thing I can think of is to give your mewtwo more speed to outspeed the other mewtwos that run taunt as well. I cant remember exactly what speed it is but I personally think you should up the speed to 384 to outrun darkrai which isnt nice for this team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)