Multi Gen Ubers Teambuilding Competition v2

~~ Bronzong & Hoopa-U Trick Room Team ~~ Peaked 1600 and top 6 with 3 unranked and 1 C- rank mons *-*

Lord Zong (Bronzong) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

Hoopa Uberz style (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sleep Talk

Dilwar <3 (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Focus Punch

Underrated (Groudon-Primal) @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 1 Spe
- Eruption
- Precipice Blades
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Time's up (Dialga) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon

SOLROCKS (Solrock) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic
- Morning Sun

Bronzong has a great niche in Trick Room based Teams. I will show you in this post a very original team where Zong has a specific role, which is a suicide Trick Room setter.

First before to criticize this pokemon and read my post, watch him make a Ragequit himself, Lord Zong.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264723140

Basically, you have two ways of using Bronzong :
-against Taunt Leads (Deoxys, Mewtwo,...) thanks to Mental Herb, which permits you to place Trick Room then Stealth Rocks after an opposing Taunt. It's great bulk lets it survive easily Knock Off + Espeed from 4 Att Deoxys-A, and take "only" 75% on Pdon's Lava Plume.
-checking key threats who eventually successed to setup after a last turn of TR, especially GeoXerneas who is a big threat to TR teams in general.
Gyro Ball is a really good STAB that hits hard fast frail things it checks like Shaymin-Sky, Scarf Kyurem-W, Deoxys, and also Fairy types such as Xern and Diancie who threaten Hoopa-U and the rest of the team.
Explosion is the must have move after using Trick Room to let place quickly to another Sweeper.
You could try Heatproof instead of Levitate, to surprise Pdon thinking to OHKO Zong with Fire Punch or Eruption. But I would not advise this ability.

The sweepers are the following ones:
- Hoopa-U, which is a great physical sweeper under TR that has basically 0 switch-ins. STAB Hyperspace Fury for Dark power and to punish Pokemon behind Substitute, or using Protect or King's Shield. It's a really good point since those moves waste TR turns.
Hoopa is so good it destroyed a Perish Gar behind a Sub >:]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264702355
Drain Punch and Gunk Shot provide very nice coverage, Sleep Talk to reduce the Darkrai weakness thanks to its very decent special Bulk. He can check Mega Mewtwo Y too which is awesome.
- Mixed Pdon with max Attack / Special Attack. Eruption and Precipice Blades for STABs, Hidden Power Ice because it's just perfect for opposing Ray and Mega Salamence, and Stone Edge for Ho-Oh.
- Mega-Mawile which has the epic Dilwar set. Swords Dance to boost its attack, Play Rough for STAB, Sucker Punch for priority and Focus Punch for Ekiller using SD, Ferro using Leech Seed and Primal Groudon switch-in who is 2HKO by this move at +0.
- Dialga, which is a specially Attacker who can use Trick Room Himself. Draco Meteor for Nuke, Flash Cannon for second reliable STAB and Thunder for Ogre and Waterceus.
The last poke, Solrock, is a great Groudon Primal, Ho-Oh, Mence, Ray, non Shadow Claw E-Killer and non Crunch Mega-Kangaskhan Check who supports the team pretty nicely.

Threatlist: Specially Offensive Pdon, Will-O-Wisp Arceus Forms, Ghostceus / Physical Sweepers with ghost moves in general

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264728227 (1592 score but I didn't put the 1600 one which is against a bad gimmicky OU team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264720454 (Nice Hoopa-U ending)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264687354 (A great example of Bronzong's work, which permits a Hoopa-U sweep)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264712683
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264681958
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-264679164
(Bronzong haxxed to death SD Groundceus)

Last edited:

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Props to antacool for building TR and using Hoopa-U but my vote goes to steelphoenix because I played that team in seasonals and it's a pretty good team overall, was quite tricky to work around.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Shell Smash

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 184 HP / 72 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Dazzling Gleam
- Toxic
- Spikes

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Destiny Bond

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Def / 156 SpA / 12 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hex
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Destiny Bond

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Team Building Process
In my opinion, throughout DPP to BW2 to ORAS, Wobbuffet in Ubers has been thought of by the masses as a Pokémon that "opens up an opportunity for a setup sweeper to set up safely" (Smogon XY Uber Wobbuffet Analysis). Yet, I never liked this train of thought since it meant devoting one slot to relying on another slot to sweep; I was, and still am, very skeptical about whether it's good idea to use up two slots out of six to aim for a sweep, conceptually. Instead, I took a different approach, better taking advantage of Wobbuffet's ability to eliminate threats rather than lock them into something useless against a sweeper of mine. In my team-building philosophy, I believe that the two most threatening Pokémon in this tier to be Extreme Killer Arceus-Normal and Geomancy Xerneas. While the former can hit Wobbuffet tremendously hard with a +2 Shadow Claw with Extreme Speed to bypass a last resort attempt with Custap Berry Destiny Bond, it seemed to me like Wobbuffet does an exceptionally good job at exterminating the over-powered deer which run rampant in this metagame.

A nifty thing I noticed about using Wobbuffet as one's team's Xerneas counter is that, unlike many of the Xerneas counters (rather, checks) in this tier, Wobbuffet is not passive about beating Xerneas; it straight-up kills it, unlike Primal Groudon, Klefki, Blissey, or Lugia who try to Thunder Wave it/Toxic stall it/phaze it. If Xerneas uses Geomancy again as I Mirror Coat the predicted Moonblast, it will require another turn to complete the move, yet by then I would have Encored it to 2HKO it with Groudon's Precipice Blades. This means that I can use some of these Pokémon without running traditionally obligatory Thunder Waves and such to put a stop to the ever-so threatening Xerneas. Since Wobbuffet deals with Xerneas single-handedly, I decided to use some of these Pokémons with sets that forgo their Xerneas-stopping abilities to, instead, focus on shining in other areas of team support. I first went to Primal Groudon as its ability allows me to beat Primal Kyogre and set up Stealth Rocks, two extremely valuable assets to any team. Stone Edge was chosen to beat Ho-Oh and Dragon Tail to both prevent things like Mega Salamence and Ekiller from setting up, as well as to catch Giratina-O and Latias that may try to switch in.

This is the point in team-building that I noticed something that I thought was really interesting: I may be able to use a unique Klefki set; one that wields both Flash Cannon and Dazzling Gleam to pressure the two major Magic Bouncers in the tier, Mega Diancie and Mega Sableye. By having Wobbuffet free up the need to use Thunder Wave, I was able to fit both Toxic and hazards to allow this team to lay down Spikes more easily. Since setting down Spikes (at least setting them down in the first place; not keeping them down once they got there) seemed to become guaranteed at this point thanks to dual STAB Klefki, I decided to capitalize on this further by using a Toxic Spiker that can pressure Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie reasonably; enter Cloyster. Cloyster fits great on this team since with Klefki being able to lay hazards down even in Mega Sableye's presence (as it would have been switched-out; if not, it would face a Dazzling Gleam that takes 50% of its health; 72 SpA EVs ensure a 2HKO of 252/0 neutral Mega Sableye 61.2% of the time), which allows Cloyster to further pressure Mega Sableye with a +2 Icicle Spear to lay down Toxic Spikes (it has a 93.8% chance to KO 252/252+ Mega Sableye at +2 after 3 layers of Spikes). The last two members of this team keep in check threats that the previous four fail to handle whilst exploiting the plethora of hazards laid down on the opponent's field. Giratina-O, with Hex and Thunder Wave, is able to beat Mega Salamence, while also keeping Mega Mewtwo X, physical Primal Groudon, and Ekiller at bay. Its defense investment allows it to live a +1 252+ Double Edge from Mega Salamence after Stealth Rocks with a 75% chance (without Stealth Rocks and lower investment/base power attacks with a 100% chance). Finally, since I have no Arceus-forme, what better Pokémon to put a dent in opposing teams or even sweep late game single-handedly? None other than Ekiller himself! Admittedly, this Pokémon also works well with the team support that Wobbuffet provides with Encore, despite me not building this team around Wobbuffet to play that role.

Tweaks to this team that I have found that may increase its effectiveness against certain teams without affecting its overall strength include increasing Giratina-O's speed creep, using a Recover Ekiller set, and replacing Ekiller with standard Ghostceus; this last change causes you to miss out on strong priority but allows you to abuse Toxic Spikes even further with Shadow Force, which often forces the opponent to take one more turn of Poison damage before receiving the subsequent damage output. Toxic on Giratina-O is filler, too, and can be replaced with things like Will-O-Wisp, Shadow Force, or Stone Edge. If I had to name a weakness of this team it would definitely be Heat Wave Life Orb Yveltal, as it is immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and breaks through my defensive backbone with ease, so I usually try to make it a one-on-one with Ekiller against it; having it be Toxiced by Klefki prior to this helps immensely.

In conclusion, while this team does not utilize Wobbuffet in the traditional fashion with its ability to Encore Pokémon, allowing a teammate to safely set up, it instead acts as a hard counter to Xerneas, letting me use Pokémon that are commonly seen as Xerneas counters to forgo their ability to counter Xerneas to instead expand in other roles, resulting in me being able to get innovative with how the rest of the team became structured.

Replays
ZoroarkForever: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-270742864
Lord Outrage: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-270732847
Pohjis (a similar Mega Gengar set over Giratina-O): http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ubers-270629639

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Psycho Boost
- Extreme Speed

Wobbuffet @ Custap Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Destiny Bond

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Destiny Bond
- Protect

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- V-create
- Extreme Speed

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy

This is a team I've been using for a while now. I actually started teambuilding with Wobbuffet so I was excited to learn about this competition. Wobbuffet can do two things, but luckily it can do both at the same time. You can use Wobbuffet to trap a powerful threat to your team and eliminate it, or you can abuse the predictability of this and encore your opponent to give one of your other pokemon a safe opportunity to set up. Wobbuffet's iv spread allows it to survive a +2 moonblast from Xerneas and gives it as much physical bulk as possible after that. It might sound counterintuitive to increase Wobbuffet's defense since its damage output is tied to how much damage it takes, but it can OHKO most things so its good to eliminate as much excess damage taken as possible.

I wanted this to be a very offensive team, so i chose Deoxys-Attack as my lead. Deoxys taunts most other leads, sets up rocks, and then does as much damage as possible. Deoxys starts the game out fast and helps me build momentum.

I pretty much chose Mega-Gengar to be kind of like a second Wobbuffet. Its got shadow tag and really fast destiny bond. Being immune to extreme speed is also a great help when running destiny bond. Gengar can hit pretty hard on its own and sometimes pick up a KO before destiny bonding, or it can be traded for my opponents extreme killer Arceus which wobbuffet has trouble dealing with. Its worth noting that Mega-Gengar's sludge wave will KO a Darkrai if it has been hit with an extreme speed from Deoxys.

Wobbuffet pairs really nicely with setup sweepers. Extreme killer Arceus can sweep many teams with the free chance to set up that Wobbuffet provides.

At this point I just need to round out the team and fill up the remaining holes. The team as it is does not appreciate status. In addition to that I have no good counter for Primal-Kyogre or Ho-Oh and absolutely nothing against Mega-Sableye. Enter Xerneas, a fairy type set-up sweeper with access to aromatherapy and thunder.
Xerneas is another pokemon that can set up if Wobbuffet gives it a chance, it cures status for the entire team, and checks many things i previously had a problem with.

Choice Band Rayquaza was chosen because I needed a wall breaker with access to a good fire move. Ferrothorn was a problem for my team and I wanted something that could just hit very hard. It also serves as another check to Primal-Groudon, and has access to extreme speed.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-271344540
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-271799896

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, here are the entries for this round:

hyw:
Jetpack Batman:

orch
Thugly Duckling
steelphoenix
ZoroarkForever
ApplepieFTW
Nayrz
Iris
Level 56
dice
Hack
Mr.378
Antacool

Good luck!

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The winner of this round is hyw ! Congratulations!
The next round is going to be ORAS Mega Mewtwo X.

Have fun!

EDIT: Round = dead

Last edited:

Cynara

Banned deucer.
Im not the greatest teambuilder, but I'm giving this ago, so here's my attempt at a Jirachi ORAS squad

Team building process

I started off with a specially defensive Jirachi with Wish that I used on a previous jirachi team build. I like Specially defensive Jirachi, It can check alot of relevant threats in the current meta, mainly the Latis, Mewtwo, Deoxys attack (lacking knock off) and most importantly Xerneas, it can cripple all of these with thunder wave it does however struggle with support arceus, however it can cripple them with thunder wave so I ended up pairing it with Mega Gengar, I added Banded Ho-oh with sleep talk to check darkrai as both mons in the build are weak to darkrai and uses ho-oh as a sleep fodder to darkrai.

A somewhat support t-wave Primal groudon with stone edge was added with for hazards, soft check to Diancie and Ho-oh, thunder wave was to cripple common switch ins such as the Latis.

My team was also weak to groudon so I added a support arceus of my own to help check this, I also needed hazard support for ho-oh, so defog arceus dragon was added, Arceus-Dragon hits Pdon for a reasonable amount with judgment along with rayquaza and mega salamence, Evs are standard creeping max speed adamant rayquaza.

The Final mon I added was a defensive yveltal with a dread plate as my team doesnt really like SD arceus formes, mainly E killer and groundceus, Dread plate is personal preference to ensure foul play KOs a +2 Arceus, however charti berry is something I have considered strongly in this build. Yveltal also provides a check to ghosts and not relying on Gengar speed ties with mewtwo/opposing gengar as Yveltal has proirity sucker punch

After deciding the Sets of the other pokemon, I finished my mega gengar set; I was kinda torn with what Gengar set to run. and settled with a offensive Hex Gengar set to allow the team to easily remove support arceus, due to the amount of status I have of this team, Gengar can use hex with reliability.

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute / Protect / Will-o-wisp

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Wish

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Precipice Blades

Arceus-Dragon @ Draco Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Judgment
- Toxic
- Recover
- Defog

Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Sucker Punch
- Roost
- Toxic

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)