ORAS OU Umbral Ultimatum

Have this beautiful song.

Umbral Ultimatum - An OU Balance Team

First, I knew I wanted to build off of Mega Houndoom and Hippowdon. They form a neat core, Doom killing Grass types for Hippo and Hippo soaking up hits. Hippowdon is also one of my favorite walls of all time, so that works.

Next, I needed something that could take down Waters, especially Azumarill. I also wanted a Fairy check. Ferrothorn was the obvious choice.

Houndoom is weak to SR, and I was still rather weak to Fighting. LO Latios was my next pick.

I wanted something that could help clean up Bisharp, TTar, and other Pursuit trappers who liked killing Latios. Specs Keldeo also had excellent synergy with Hippo, and Houndoom could kill off his checks, so the pony was an obvious pick.

My last slot was rather difficult to choose, mainly because I honestly didn’t know what I needed. I decided an emergency button was necessary to stop rampaging attackers, and the mon in mind, Klefki, also doubled as a defensive pivot.

Welcome to my second RMT, Umbral Ultimatum. It should be said that I am a bad ladder player (one of my teams was actually pretty good but I could never get past 1400 with it, even though my friend got pretty high with it), so I don’t really know how good this team is yet, despite testing it profusely. It’s certainly better than my last team, at least. Please tell me what to fix, and feel free to replace any Pokémon except Mega Houndoom (and please give them Homestuck themed nicknames). First person to insult Homestuck ITT will die a slow and painful death.

Bec Noir (Houndoom) (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Bec is so good in this meta right now, despite being super under appreciated. Dark + Fire is great coverage and destroys a ton of the meta. The set is pretty standard but really good. Nasty Plot is important because it lets us set up on Mega Sableye and demolish bulkier Waters through sheer boosting if they let us. Will-O I don’t actually find myself using a ton, but if I know I’m going down to, say, Azu’s Waterfall that turn, it lets me cripple Azu for the rest of the match. Dark Pulse and Fire Blast are obligatory STABs, Fire Blast over Flamethrower for power. Flash Fire lets me come in on Char-X and Y if I need to (although I really want to use Hippo for that) and other Fire types as well, especially ones who are weak to Dark Pulse like Victini and the rarely seen Chandy. Unfortunately, being SR and Toxic weak is a problem, but Latios is good at keeping SR off the field and I can pivot into Ferro on an obvious Toxic (unless I’m facing, like, Heatran). Forms part 1 of the FWG core.

JANE IS THIS YOU. (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off

Man, do I love Hippowdon. Such a good mixed wall with great coverage and amazing survivability. Once again, set is pretty standard, as are all of them, really. Earthquake is STAB and kills Steels and non-Flying Fires. Stealth Rock is an important move to keep Char-Y and Talonflame on their toes, as well as other Fire-types, because my team doesn’t carry a great answer to them apart from Hippo’s Stone Miss, which is notoriously unreliable. Stone Edge forms EdgeQuake with Earthquake and is important to down mons who resist or are immune to Earthquake, when it actually hits. Slack Off is good, reliable recovery that lets me stay in the game against harder hitters. Sand Force over Sand Stream because Hippo doesn’t get a Special Defense boost like TTar does, and no one on this team really benefits from Sand too much. Plus, it lets me do decent damage to TTar / Exca. Hippo has amazing synergy with Bec, taking Rock and other powerful moves for him and benefiting from Bec taking out Mega Sableye and Grass types.

Caliborn (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

Ferrothorn is part 2 of the FWG core, and also forms a bit of a SFD core with Latios and Klefki. He is also one of my only Fairy Spikes is a great move and helps stack on the hazards, often forcing the opponent to bring out their defogger, and Bec Noir can capitalize on a ton of the common defoggers, such as Lati@s and Skarm. Power Whip is important for taking out Azumarill, Mega Swampert, and other Water-types which annoy the first two members of my team a great deal. Gyro Ball is the Fairy killer move and is extremely important because otherwise my team straight-up loses to some Mega Gardevoir. Fun fact: Ferro can take a Focus Blast from Mega Sceptile and has a 50% chance to OHKO using Gyro Ball with SR and one layer of Spikes up (83% with 2 layers). Leech Seed is the final move and is obviously very important for recovery, which Ferro lacks.

Pyralspite (Latios) (M) Life orb shedinja
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover

As we all know, one of Bec Noir Mega Houndoom’s greatest flaws is that it is weak to SR, which makes it unable to switch in very often. I needed a Defogger or Spinner to rectify this problem, and LO Defog Latios was the perfect fit. Latios forms part 2 of the SFD-ish core with Ferro and Klefki, resists Fighting and has Psyshock (Fighting was a type I was very weak to beforehand if you somehow didn’t notice), and can easily take down other Dragons who resist most of my moves. Defog is obviously there to remove Hazards, not really anything to say about that. I prefer to use it before I’ve set up too many layers of Spikes so that I don’t have to find a way to get Ferro in again. Draco Meteor is ridiculously powerful STAB that kills a lot of hazard setters and fellow Dragons. Psyshock kills Fightings and is useful when I don’t want to have to switch out immediately afterward. Recover is to help mitigate LO wearing me down. Recover over Roost because I’m a hipster. It’s best to get this thing in via a doubly pivot thing, first switching from Ferro to Bec to take an obvious Fire-type move, and then as they switch, double to Latios.

Maplehoof (Keldeo) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Ah, Maplehoof. You form such a perfect FWG core with Ferro and Bec, where would I be without you. SpecsDeo (not to be confused with Specs Deoxys-S/D, which is terrible and banned) is the next member of my team and forms part 3 of the FWG core. I thought about using SubCM but thought that it didn’t provide enough immediate offensive pressure. Scald is a great spammable STAB that burns people, not really anything to say here. Secret Sword has great coverage with Scald and kills TTar and Bisharp really easily if I’m having trouble with them for whatever reason. Hydro Pump is just to provide a harder hitting STAB than Scald if I need to break through something (though there was that one time when Hydro Pump missed twice in a row and cost me the game, CURSE YOU HYDRO PUMP) and Icy Wind hits Lando-T, Garchomp, et cetera.

Tommy Gun (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Foul Play
- Play Rough

Klefki was a really hard decision to put on the team, mainly because I wanted a Fairy but also wanted an emergency button and didn’t know how to combine the roles, until I found this beautiful key ring / oversized gun. Klefki completes then SFD core I discussed above, also having Steel type as well which is pretty cool IMO. Prankster Thunder Wave is a great panic button to stop rampaging fast sweepers like Mega Alakazam so I can send in Bec Noir to outspend and kill them. I mean outspeed, damn you autocorrect. Actually, that misspelling is funny enough that I’m just going to leave it there. Magnet Rise beats those Ground types who think they can kill me with Earthquake, unless this starts being Gen V BH or something. I have Foul Play AND Play Rough here for a distinct reason, mainly that I need Fairy STAB to kill Dragons and Darks, but I also want Foul Play to kill Psychics who can beat Bec, like Slowbro/king and Starmie. Also, I already have a Spikes stacker so Spikes is unnecessary. Leftovers over Sitrus Berry because constant recovery = best recovery.

Threatlist

Mega Charizard Y: Bec and Hippo are both decent switch-ins to this thing, but Bec can get killed by coverage and Hippo usually has other threats it has to counter, meaning if Hippo goes down, the team is pretty much screwed.

Fire Blast Mega Altaria: I usually rely on Ferro to kill this thing, but Fire Blast just completely invalidates any hope I have of beating it. It usually can’t switch in to Hippo and win, but if it gets in, I’m dead.

Some other stuff that I’m too lazy to list

Please rate. And once again, the first person to insult Homestuck will die a slow and painful death.

Ok, lets take a moment to appreciate homestucks for a moment. (genious nicknames)
*moment over*

I will probably replace Klefki with something else but I am going to try this team out right now.
I do agree with CakeOfTruth and i think Destiny Bond should replace Will-o.

There's only a single suggestion I can make on you're team. Changes in Blue

Bec Noir (Houndoom) (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Destiny Bond
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
  • Mega Houndoom isn't very bulky and running Will-O-Wisp isn't very productive on a Sweeper. So I suggest Destiny Bond as in your Scenario you made, Destiny Bond will take out the Azumarill instead of leaving it live another day.
Hope this little adjustment helps ^_^
Will change to Destiny Bond and see if it helps. Thanks.

Great to still see Homestuck fans around, love the theme team!

But Klefki is a supporter first and an attacker only as a last resort with foul play, the balance of the entire battle could really hang on klefki with the right moveset.

Tommy Gun (Klefki) @ Light ClayAbility: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Reflect
- Light Screen

your team will greatly appreciate the screen support, seeing as Klefki is the only one to get prankster dual screens besides Meowstic, there's no reason not to abuse it and take your team to that next level in defense.

Light Clay further extends the duration of the screen from 5 turns to 8. In singles, this can protect you long enough to turn the tide in your favor easily.

in doubles, 8 turns is the entire battle, you won't have to worry about resetting screens if you're not up against a super stall team.

hope that's a little help! but you do whatever you think is right for the team!

To be honest I think will-o-wisp is fine. It helps screw over common switchins such as tyranitar and azumarill, leaving them neutered. Stuff like keldeo also gets worn down a lot faster between hazards and burns, limiting the amount of times it can switch in on mega houndoom.

Hi there, I have a few suggestions.

Right now, your team is weak to the likes of SpA/Mixed M-Altaria, M-Charizard Y, Kyurem-B, M-Gardevoir, Specs Keldeo and Choice Band/Belly Drum Azumarill, all of which balanced teams usually struggle to switch into.

My first suggestion would be trying out Jirachi instead of Klefki. Jirachi checks the fairy types that you currently struggle against and has reliable recovery in Wish+Protect which helps its longevity. M-Gardevoir and the specially offensive variants of M-Altaria are checked rather well by Jirachi as the combo of TWave+Iron Head handles them really comfortably while Kyurem-B is also handled rather well with TWave+Iron Head combo.

Calcs:
232 SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 114-135 (28.2 - 33.4%) -- 94.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

232+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 125-148 (31 - 36.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 158-186 (39.2 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Altaria Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 172-204 (42.6 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Jirachi: 195-231 (48.3 - 57.3%) -- 44.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Set:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Protect

The given speed EVs speedcreep Adamant Bisharp and Adamant Breloom with full speed investment as well as Max Speed Tyranitar while the rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and SpD for bulk maximisation.

My second suggestion would be trying out Amoonguss instead of Ferrothorn. Your team lacks an Azumarill switch in and is particularly weak to Specs Keldeo and Amoonguss takes them on rather well. It also checks DD M-Altaria which is a threat to your team because of the removal of Ferrothorn and Regenerator is a very useful ability which restores 1/3 of HP everytime you switch out, this increases its longevity. This doesn't really solve your problem of BD Azumarill, however, the combination of Jirachi+Latios+Keldeo- all of whom survive an Aqua Jet- should be able to handle it well.

You could also try HP Electric on Keldeo instead of Icy Wind to hit the likes of Slowbro, Azumarill and other bulky water-types. Icy Wind was for the likes of the Lati twins and M-Altaria but you have Jirachi and Amoonguss to handle them.

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 252 HP / 120 SpD Amoonguss: 188-222 (43.5 - 51.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 197-232 (45.6 - 53.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ Atk Mega Swampert Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 204-241 (47.2 - 55.7%) -- 20.7% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Set:
Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire / Synthesis
- Clear Smog

That's all, hope I helped

Last edited:
Reactions: TPP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)