Umbreon-Centered Team

Yeah yeah Great Sage hates me now. Whatever. xD

Now, as indicated by the title, this is an attempt to use Umbreon with his trapping abilities. This may seem preposterous in today's OU enviroment, with Scizor and U-turn being spammed everywhere. That's where good play and team-building come in.

Enough about that, what I'm going to do is run you through exactly what went through my(and occasionally Justinawe's) head when designing this team.

The first thing that I obviously decided on was that Umbreon would be the focus. After maxing it's HP to enable it to take hits better. Then I focused on the speed: 209 seemed good, as it beats the majority of pokemon on stall teams(not Celebi) and Taunts them, stopping them from phazing me away after Mean Looking them. Yawn I decided was to be the last move, as the ability to trap and sleep a pokemon is well appreciated, plus it can force switches away from unfavorable match ups. I gave it a bold nature and then evened out the defenses at 300, a good number.

So finally I have:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Synchronize: Bold
252 HP, 209 Speed Stat, 300 Defenses
Mean Look
Yawn
Baton Pass
Taunt

Thinking about common switch-ins, Scizor poses the biggest threat. What do you do when you REALLY want Scizor dead? You either slap Hidden Power [Fire] on something, or...

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Magnet Pull: Hasty
4 Attack, 252 Speed, 252 Sp. Attack
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
Hidden Power [Fire]
Explosion

With this, no Scizor is running through this team. This requires smart play on my part, however, since I have to use a dry Baton Pass to be able to trap it from Umbreon...
... or so it would have been the case, had it not been for an intresting suggestion made by Justin. This involved using a Gengar: most offensive teams have trouble beating it and often rely on Scizor and his Bullet Punch to overcome it. By using one with Hidden Power [Fire], I force it to Bullet Punch me: by doing so, it becomes bait for Magnezone. This I have:

Gengar @ Life Orb
Levitate: Hasty
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hidden Power [Fire]
Explosion

At this point I needed something that could rape if the Mean Look pass succeeded. Me an Justin came to the same conclusion that Salamence was perfect to fill the slot, especially with him combining together with Magnezone to resist every attack in the game. Originally I began with using a bulky one with outrage, sub, DD, and Roost. As time went on I realized that I lacked a good early-mid game pokemon after I lost my starter. So Salamence became that pokemon.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Intimidate: Naive
Draco Meteor
Fire Blast
Earthquake
Roost

I needed this guy as a buffer to quite a few pokemon, so Roost had priority over Outrage or Blissey. Besides, with good prediction my next pokemon can beat her one-on-one, Umbreon can Trap and Taunt it, and the other two can Explode. Plus, who brings Blissey in on Salamence nowadays?

I decided to utilize the double dragon combination and use Latias, especially as both arespecial based and can wear down on each other's counters.

Latias @ Leftovers
Levitate: Timid
128 HP, 252 Speed, 128 Sp. Attack
Dragon Pulse
Substitute
Roost
Calm Mind

Mono-attacking is fine in this case, as I will often have a sub and a couple of calm minds under my belt. By the time this girl comes out Scizor is gone, Blissey is(likely) gone, and steels will be worn down or eliminated.

Ironically, the final member will be my starter. And no one does a better jon starting than my own Metagross:

Metagross @ Occa Berry
Clear Body: Jolly
4 HP, 252 Attack, 252 Speed
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Bullet Punch
Explosion

This is, IMO, the best starter in today's metagame. Often it deals a lot of damage to one pokemon and kills another one. Jolly outspeeds Adamant Gyarados and other Metagross.

TLDR version:

Metagross
Salamence
Magnezone
Gengar
Umbreon
Latias

I really want this team to succeed, since I love my Umbreon. =3
Any and all help is appreciated.

Alright. First things first- I'd recommend Passing from Umbreon to Latias. Latias has the potential to CM and Sub up, so it potentially has much more to gain than Salamence does. Double Dragon/Double Steel is quite fine.
Gengar. Personally, on that set, I would use Substitute over HP Fire. This allows you to come in and scare something, setting up a Sub in the process. Then you can wallop the Scizor/Ttar switchin without fear of retaliation. Explosion isn't really necessary imo; Umbreon can trap Blissey relatively fearlessly.
Excellent trap team- cleaning up walls left and right while setting up for a powerful sweep.

P.S. Recover > Roost

Thanks for giving me some credit first of all! :D Team of course looks very good resistance wise on paper, as the team has great synergy to play off. Its very hard to find something that will wreck this team. The worse I think the team has to worry about is Mixmence, as it can potentially OHKO everyone on the team with the right move, while leaving a big hole in the star Umbreon. With the synergy the team has though you can obviously play around it,1/2 the team outspeeds and can deal with it.For Gengar, I would like to mention how great of a lure it is, not just taking out Scizor, but all kinds of other potential problems for the team. Glad I could help make this marvelous team, best of luck!

Pirika

O boxeador revolucionário
is an Artist Alumnus
Metagross as a lead should run Stealth Rock. If you don't think Stealth Rock is necessary for your team it would be better to run a anti-lead or something that could set-up some support to your team in the beggining of the match. A ligth screen and reflect user could be a nice support to your team, it helps Umbreon to take heavy hits before passing mean look and help Latias to stat-up. Azelf could be a nice replacement to Metagross since it can prevent your opponent from putting Stealth Rocks in play and can set screens for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)