UU Umbreon

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########

There is a high dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only Wish + Baton Pass support, but cleric support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, an thus it can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul Play is effective against offensive teams, which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########
name: Cleric / Wish Pass
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect / Moonlight
move 3: Heal Bell / Baton Pass
move 4: Foul Play
ability: Synchronize
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates. Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing Umbreon to scout for common Choice item users such as Hydreigon and Mienshao and gain more Leftovers recovery. Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish, and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows Umbreon to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides cleric support, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent on the nature of your team; teams that already have Pokemon able to provide cleric support will appreciate Umbreon running Baton Pass in order to regain or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature alongside the listed EV spread maximizes Umbreon's special bulk. Synchronize is a useful ability alongside Heal Bell, providing Umbreon with opportunities to cause some chaos against the opponent's team while supporting your own. Leftovers provides passive recovery and increased longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Use Umbreon with the knowledge that almost all non-super effective hits are irrelevant thanks to its reliable recovery. Umbreon is best used to sponge a variety of high-powered hits in order to provide excellent team support. Umbreon is better against Choice-locked Pokemon as opposed to setup Pokemon; for example, Choice Specs Raikou is a better matchup for Umbreon then Substitute + Calm Mind. Wish + Baton Pass Umbreon functions similarly to Wish + Baton Pass Vaporeon, sacrificing the extra HP in the Wish for more immediate bulk. Foul Play alongside Wish + Protect allows Umbreon to be self-reliant in certain situations.

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon such as Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its Fighting-type counters and provide utility and pivot support with Defog and U-turn, respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin and Defog support, as this makes its job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow pass into powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Band Machamp, Choice Band Krookodile, or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player can choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive; however, always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential. Lastly, Inner Focus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, letting Umbreon counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish or Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types** Umbreon struggles immensely against Mienshao, Machamp, and Pokemon with Fighting-type moves such as Superpower Absol. Choice Band wallbreakers also prevent Umbreon from successfully setting up Wish + Baton Pass.

**Taunt Users** Taunt shuts Umbreon down, which gives the opponent opportunities to retain momentum.

**Trick Users** An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon by preventing it from using its utility-based moves.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, Calm Mind Florges, and Curselax are amongst the few reliable setup sweepers that can set up on Umbreon.

Last edited:

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
before you do any more, there should be one set with heal bell and baton pass slashed

Ernesto edit: And probably Moonlight slashed with Tect :o

Inner Focus can be mentioned in Other Options (or maybe even slashed) to make sure that Jirachi can't flinch you to death. Curse + Baton Pass is another OO.

I think in the first set, Baton Pass should be slashed over Heal Bell and not Protect, because Wish without Protect or Moonlight is a pretty bad idea. So yeah imo it should be:

Wish
Protect / Moonlight
Foul Play
Heal Bell / Baton Pass

Furthermore, with this set of slashes, the two sets can be combined into one since they play very similarly, especially since you've mentioned in OO that a more physically defensive EV spread can be used (you can specifically write out the second spread in OO). It'd probably be best to specifically say that Crobat and Gligar are solid Fighting resists when you mention them in Team Options. Finally, you should include some examples of "Bulky Setup Sweepers": SubCM/CroCune, Coil Zygarde, CM Florges, or whatever you think of.

Edit: It's been implemented, QC 1/3

Last edited:
In all honesty, and I haven't used Smogon rules in a battle yet, but this is how I use My Umbreon in No Restrictions Battles. Take Account that he was Level 85 at the time going against level 100s.

Set 1-What is this damage you speak of?
Item- Iron Ball
Moves-
Payback
With the iron ball lowering his speed and a STAB, Payback gets a power of 150. This nearly makes up for. Umbreon's low attack.
Psychic-Counters Fighting types fairly well, as it is a special attack and is a psychic typed attack.
Moonlight-Trolls people who have been trying to lower HP for awhile by increasing it by 50%
Toxic-Becuase when you have an insanely good tank, this kills things.
EVs-252 in defenses, 6 anywhere else, I went with attack
Ability-Sychronize allows for countering status conditions that can be crippling, but also lowers the efficiency of Toxic if said situation were to come. Espeon's Magic bounce would be a better option here, but his sis isn't tanky.
But if you want to run an inner focus Umbreon, this won't world, as it relies on low speed, so inner focus is pretty useless, as all it does is stop flinching, which is pointless with such a great Pokemon.

Set 2 Fighting counter
Item- Chople berry heavily reduces damage dealt from fighting type attacks
Moves-
Dark Pulse-provides a basic offensive attack
Psychic-As he can resist fighting types, he should be able to strike back
Moonlight-Trololololol
Toxic can be very useful here, but another option would be double team. Umbreon's high defensive stats give it the opperunity to use this, Nd with a couple of uses, nothing can hit it.
Same EVs as above, and please, no inner focus.
This wt can also deal well with fighting types, as psychic can dish out heavy damage so long as the target doesn't have a Special Defense EV bonus.

These sets also use Umbreon as a tanky, but offensive, fighter, so taunt won't destroy him.
A problem is fairies of course, but they're fairies. The only way to deal with a airy is for my Haxorus to use poison jab.

I'm just speaking from experience here, where my low leveled Umbreon has been able to tank every high-powered attack that's been thrown at him, slowly dealing damage and using moonlight to negate damage. His high defense makes his weakness to fighting types mean a 3-5 hit KO in most cases, and I was honestly expecting to see him higher in the tiers.
So, there's got to be some reason that nobody uses him like this, I'd just like to know why.

Last edited:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
In all honesty, and I haven't used Smogon rules in a battle yet, but this is how I use My Umbreon in No Restrictions Battles. Take Account that he was Level 85 at the time going against level 100s.

Item- Iron Ball
Moves-
Payback
With the iron ball lowering his speed and a STAB, Payback gets a power of 150. This nearly makes up for. Umbreon's low attack.
Psychic-Counters Fighting types fairly well, as it is a special attack and is a psychic typed attack.
Moonlight-Trolls people who have been trying to lower HP for awhile by increasing it by 50%
Ability-Sychronize allows for countering status conditions that can be crippling, but also lowers the efficiency of Toxic if said situation were to come. Espeon's Magic bounce would be a better option here, but his sis isn't tanky.
But if you want to run an inner focus Umbreon, this won't world, as it relies on low speed, so inner focus is pretty useless, as all it does is stop flinching, which is pointless with such a great Pokemon.

Set 2 Fighting counter
Moves-
Moonlight-Trololololol
Toxic can be very useful here, but another option would be double team. Umbreon's high defensive stats give it the opperunity to use this, Nd with a couple of uses, nothing can hit it.
This wt can also deal well with fighting types, as psychic can dish out heavy damage so long as the target doesn't have a Special Defense EV bonus.

These sets also use Umbreon as a tanky, but offensive, fighter, so taunt won't destroy him.
A problem is fairies of course, but they're fairies. The only way to deal with a airy is for my Haxorus to use poison jab.

I'm just speaking from experience here, where my low leveled Umbreon has been able to tank every high-powered attack that's been thrown at him, slowly dealing damage and using moonlight to negate damage. His high defense makes his weakness to fighting types mean a 3-5 hit KO in most cases, and I was honestly expecting to see him higher in the tiers.
So, there's got to be some reason that nobody uses him like this, I'd just like to know why.
To put it short and sweet, nobody uses him like that because those movesets are competitively unviable.

To put it short and sweet, nobody uses him like that because those movesets are competitively unviable.
How so? They've always worked for me, and my little group of freinds is decent when it comes to battling, we can get pretty far at the maison, and even on online battles this works great for me.

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
How so? They've always worked for me, and my little group of freinds is decent when it comes to battling, we can get pretty far at the maison, and even on online battles this works great for me.
Well, they may work for you, but I'd like to see someone ladder to at least the 1500s using those sets.

Using the Battle Maison is a poor way of trying to back your points up, and any competent player can easily deal with those shitty sets as they have very little damage output, pointless EVs and do not use Umbreon's traits well

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Item- Iron Ball
Moves-
Payback

Set 2 Fighting counter
Moves-
Moonlight-Trololololol

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet. Your knowledge is severely lacking - in-game perspectives are not a credible method of offering any form of clarity in regards to a competitive set. Please lurk the forums and feel free to ask a question in the NP thread for more information. Should you require my services as a tutour, contact the Battling 101 thread and make a request from the leaders to have me tutour you. I can take up to 3 per round, so this is the most effective way for us to improve your knowledge of the Underused tier.

Ookay then...thanks, just trying to help, not trying to annoy anyone. (-: Oh, there's a smile button there...
Weird smiles...
Whatevs, if it isn't a great set then it isn't.
And. I understand the Battle Maison isn't a great way of backing it up, but other battles I thought would be, thoigh thinking back over it would make sense as I'm entering a completely new level here...

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You have moonlight as a slash in the set, so that should be removed from other options.
Hate to sounds like a broken record, but I really think you should beef up C&C - Its important to explain what each group of poekmon do and how they threaten the pokemon, not just listing off the names. For example, " An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon." How does this cripple umbreon? It prevents it from using status moves and recovery, which is incredibly detrimental.
Also remove sub coil zygarde as its banned rip.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
You have moonlight as a slash in the set, so that should be removed from other options.
Hate to sounds like a broken record, but I really think you should beef up C&C - Its important to explain what each group of poekmon do and how they threaten the pokemon, not just listing off the names. For example, " An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon." How does this cripple umbreon? It prevents it from using status moves and recovery, which is incredibly detrimental.
Also remove sub coil zygarde as its banned rip.
Thank you for your watchful eye, as always.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just another things I needa mention:

For the Usage details, I wouldn't necessarily say that all non-SE moves are irrelevant, since there's stuff like Darmanitan's FB/CB krook eq that can easily smash through Umbreon for >50%, and if Umbreon already has a bunch of its health chipped away, it can't really switch into those moderately powerful attacks, whether it'd be on the physical or special end.

It should be good for the 3/3 qc after that is changed

tehy

Banned deucer.
Amcheck

King UU

Comments:

In usage tips, you say that it plays like wishpass vaporeon. Cool, what's that like? Not everyone knows so, maybe just explain

To be honest it seems like all CM Suicune can set up on Umbreon. Not sure if offensive CM cune is still a thing but i bet it could too.

"Moderate high powered" was wrong, feel free to monkey around with words to find whatever fits, i hope what i wrote's fine though

Overview
########

The shift into ORAS saw an increased dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only this task, but (decapitalize)Cclerical Wish support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types.,(period to comma)Due and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, and can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul (capitalize)pPlay works effectively against offensive teams, which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates.; (period to semicolon) Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing you to scout common Choice users such as Hydreigon /and Mienshao. Protect also provides passive and gain more Leftovers recovery, (rc) while. (period) Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish,(rc) as well as providing and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows you to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides (decapitalize)Cclerical support for teams, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent dependant on the nature of your team; teams that have access to (decapitalize)Cclerical support may be better off using Baton Pass in order to regain/ or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the (decapitalize)Pphysical (decapitalize)Aattackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature alongside the listed EV spread maximizes Umbreon's special bulk. Synchronize is a useful ability alongside Heal Bell, providing you with opportunities to cause some chaos against your opponent's team while supporting your own. Leftovers provides passive recovery and increased longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Use Umbreon with the knowledge that almost all non super- effective hits are irrelevant thanks to its reliable recovery. Umbreon is best used to sponge a variety of moderate-ly higher -powered hits in order to provide excellent team support. Umbreon is better against Choice-locked situations Pokemon as opposed to setup situations Pokemon: for example, Specs Raikou is a better matchup for Umbreon than as opposed Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou. Wish + Baton Pass Umbreon functions similarly to Wish + Baton Pass Vaporeon, sacrificing the extra HP in the Wish for more immediate bulk. Foul Play alongside Wish + Protect allows Umbreon to be self-reliant in certain situations.

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon like Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its (capitalize)fFighting-type counters and provide utility + pivot support with in the forms of Defog/ and U-turn, (ac) respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, (ac)such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, (ac)are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin /and Defog support, as this makes its Cleric job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow- pass into a powerful wallbreaker such as Choice Banded Machamp / Krookodile or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player may choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive, but should however,(rc) always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential. Lastly, Inner (decapitalize)fFocus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, (ac) while attempting toletting you counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish / Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-Types** Umbreon struggles immensely against Mienshao and Machamp, as well as Pokemon with Fighting-type moves such as Superpower Absol. Choice Banded wallbreakers also prevent Umbreon from successfully setting up Wish + Baton Pass.

**Taunt Users** Taunt shuts Umbreon down, which gives the opponent opportunities to retain momentum.

**Trick Users** An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon by preventing it to use from using its utility-based moves.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune / Crocune, Calm Mind Florges, and Curselax are amongst the Pokemon that can set- up on Umbreon.

Last edited:

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My comments (I'm stealing frenzyplant's idea :p)
Overview
########

The shift into ORAS saw an increased dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only this task, but cleric Clerical Wish support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types, (period to comma) Due and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, and it can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul Play works effectively against offensive teams, (AC) which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates; (period to semicolon) Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing you to scout for common Choice users such as Hydreigon / and Mienshao. Protect also provides passive and gain more Leftovers recovery, (RC) while. (period) Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish,(rc) as well as providing and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows you to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides cleric Clerical support for teams, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent dependant on the nature of your team; teams that already have Pokemon able have access to provide cleric Clerical support may appreciate Umbreon running be better off using Baton Pass in order to regain/ or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature alongside the listed EV spread maximizes Umbreon's special bulk. Synchronize is a useful ability alongside Heal Bell, providing you with opportunities to cause some chaos against your opponent's team while supporting your own. Leftovers provides passive recovery and increased longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Use Umbreon with the knowledge that almost all non super- (remove hyphen) effective hits are irrelevant thanks to its reliable recovery. Umbreon is best used to sponge a variety of moderately - (remove hyphen) higher-powered (just say "high-powered") hits in order to provide excellent team support. Umbreon is better against Choice-locked situations Pokemon as opposed to setup situations Pokemon; (colon -> semicolon) for example, Choice Specs Raikou is a better matchup for Umbreon than as opposed Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou. Wish + Baton Pass Umbreon functions similarly to Wish + Baton Pass Vaporeon, sacrificing the extra HP in the Wish for more immediate bulk. Foul Play alongside Wish + Protect allows Umbreon to be self-reliant in certain situations.

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon like such as Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its Fighting-type counters and provide utility + (remove +) and pivot support with in the forms of Defog/ and U-turn, (ac) respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, (AC) such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, (AC) are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin /and Defog support, as this makes its Cleric job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow- (remove hyphen) pass Wishes to into a powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Banded Machamp, (AC) Choice Band / (remove /) Krookodile, (AC) or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player may choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive, but should however,(rc) (unnecessary change, it was fine with "however") always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential (unnecessary removal). Lastly, Inner Focus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, (AC) while attempting to letting you counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish or / (remove /) Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-Types** Umbreon struggles immensely against Mienshao, (AC) and Machamp, and as well as Pokemon with Fighting-type moves such as Superpower Absol. Choice Banded wallbreakers also prevent Umbreon from successfully setting up Wish + Baton Pass.

**Trick Users** An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon by preventing it to use from using its utility-based moves.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Substitute + (you can keep Substitute +)Calm Mind Suicune / Crocune, Calm Mind Florges, and Curselax are amongst the Pokemon that can set- (remove hyphen) up on Umbreon.

1/2 :)

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
My comments (I'm stealing frenzyplant's idea :p)
Overview
########

The shift into ORAS saw an increased dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only this task, but cleric Clerical Wish support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types, (period to comma) Due and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, and it can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul Play works effectively against offensive teams, (AC) which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates; (period to semicolon) Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing you to scout for common Choice users such as Hydreigon / and Mienshao. Protect also provides passive and gain more Leftovers recovery, (RC) while. (period) Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish,(rc) as well as providing and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows you to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides cleric Clerical support for teams, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent dependant on the nature of your team; teams that already have Pokemon able have access to provide cleric Clerical support may appreciate Umbreon running be better off using Baton Pass in order to regain/ or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Use Umbreon with the knowledge that almost all non super- (remove hyphen) effective hits are irrelevant thanks to its reliable recovery. Umbreon is best used to sponge a variety of moderately - (remove hyphen) higher-powered (just say "high-powered") hits in order to provide excellent team support. Umbreon is better against Choice-locked situations Pokemon as opposed to setup situations Pokemon; (colon -> semicolon) for example, Choice Specs Raikou is a better matchup for Umbreon than as opposed Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou. Wish + Baton Pass Umbreon functions similarly to Wish + Baton Pass Vaporeon, sacrificing the extra HP in the Wish for more immediate bulk. Foul Play alongside Wish + Protect allows Umbreon to be self-reliant in certain situations.

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon like such as Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its Fighting-type counters and provide utility + (remove +) and pivot support with in the forms of Defog/ and U-turn, (ac) respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, (AC) such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, (AC) are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin /and Defog support, as this makes its Cleric job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow- (remove hyphen) pass Wishes to into a powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Banded Machamp, (AC) Choice Band / (remove /) Krookodile, (AC) or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player may choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive, but should however,(rc) (unnecessary change, it was fine with "however") always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential (unnecessary removal). Lastly, Inner Focus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, (AC) while attempting to letting you counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish or / (remove /) Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-Types** Umbreon struggles immensely against Mienshao, (AC) and Machamp, and as well as Pokemon with Fighting-type moves such as Superpower Absol. Choice Banded wallbreakers also prevent Umbreon from successfully setting up Wish + Baton Pass.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Substitute + (you can keep Substitute +)Calm Mind Suicune / Crocune, Calm Mind Florges, and Curselax are amongst the Pokemon that can set- (remove hyphen) up on Umbreon.

1/2 :)
this is done. thank you!

ready for second check.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
King UU

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

The shift into ORAS saw an increased dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only Wish + Baton Pass support this task, It's generally frowned upon to focus on generation shift / 'new tool' fluff/introduction but cleric support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, and thus it can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul Play is effective against offensive teams, which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates. Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing Umbreon to scout for common Choice item users such as Hydreigon and Mienshao and gain more Leftovers recovery. Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish, and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows you Umbreon to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides cleric support for teams, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent on the nature of your team; teams that already have Pokemon able to provide cleric support may will appreciate Umbreon running Baton Pass in order to regain or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature alongside the listed EV spread maximizes Umbreon's special bulk. Synchronize is a useful ability alongside Heal Bell, providing you Umbreon with opportunities to cause some chaos against your the opponent's team while supporting your own. Leftovers provides passive recovery and increased longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Use Umbreon with the knowledge that almost all non-super effective hits are irrelevant thanks to its reliable recovery. Umbreon is best used to sponge a variety of high-powered hits in order to provide excellent team support. Umbreon is better against Choice-locked Pokemon as opposed to setup Pokemon; for example, Choice Specs Raikou is a better matchup for Umbreon then Substitute + Calm Mind. Wish + Baton Pass Umbreon functions similarly to Wish + Baton Pass Vaporeon, sacrificing the extra HP in the Wish for more immediate bulk. Foul Play alongside Wish + Protect allows Umbreon to be self-reliant in certain situations.

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon such as Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its Fighting-type counters and provide utility and pivot support with Defog and U-turn, respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin and Defog support, as this makes its job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow pass into powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Band Machamp, Choice Band Krookodile, (AC) or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player may can choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive; (SC) however, always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential. Lastly, Inner Focus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, letting you Umbreon counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish or Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types** Umbreon struggles immensely against Mienshao, Machamp, and Pokemon with Fighting-type moves such as Superpower Absol. Choice Band wallbreakers also prevent Umbreon from successfully setting up Wish + Baton Pass.

**Trick Users** An optimally timed Trick by a Jirachi or Chandelure can cripple Umbreon by preventing it from using its utility-based moves.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers** Substitute + Calm Mind Suicune, Calm Mind Florges, and Curselax are amongst the few reliable setup sweepers that can set up on Umbreon.

2/2

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
King UU

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

The shift into ORAS saw an increased dependency on Wish + Baton Pass users in the UnderUsed tier, and Umbreon's incredible 95 / 110 / 130 bulk makes it ideal for not only Wish + Baton Pass support this task, It's generally frowned upon to focus on generation shift / 'new tool' fluff/introduction but cleric support as well. Umbreon's Dark typing is good for taking on many offensive and defensive types and due to its bulk and access to Wish + Baton Pass, Umbreon pairs well with offensive pivots for effective core building, and thus it can be used on almost any type of team. Although Umbreon can be setup fodder, Foul Play is effective against offensive teams, which adds to Umbreon's viability, as not everyone prepares for Umbreon when teambuilding.

Cleric / Wish Pass
########

Moves
========

Wish is a reliable recovery move for Umbreon and its teammates. Protect ensures that Wish succeeds while allowing Umbreon to scout for common Choice item users such as Hydreigon and Mienshao and gain more Leftovers recovery. Moonlight eases the prediction of Wish, and provides Umbreon with more reliable recovery. Baton Pass allows you Umbreon to easily pass a Wish to a teammate, while Heal Bell provides cleric support for teams, allowing for more aggressive plays. The choice between Baton Pass and Heal Bell is dependent on the nature of your team; teams that already have Pokemon able to provide cleric support may will appreciate Umbreon running Baton Pass in order to regain or generate momentum. Foul Play is a reliable move that causes a lot of damage to many of the physical attackers in the tier.

Set Details
========

A Calm nature alongside the listed EV spread maximizes Umbreon's special bulk. Synchronize is a useful ability alongside Heal Bell, providing you Umbreon with opportunities to cause some chaos against your the opponent's team while supporting your own. Leftovers provides passive recovery and increased longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Umbreon functions well alongside Pokemon such as Crobat or Gligar, as they can take on some of its Fighting-type counters and provide utility and pivot support with Defog and U-turn, respectively. Umbreon works well alongside Swampert, as most Taunt users, such as Aerodactyl, Krookodile, or Crobat, are frail or fear Swampert's typing. Umbreon appreciates Rapid Spin and Defog support, as this makes its job a little easier. Baton Pass also gives Umbreon the ability to slow pass into powerful wallbreakers such as Choice Band Machamp, Choice Band Krookodile, (AC) or Choice Specs Yanmega.

Other Options
########

Toxic is another option instead of Foul Play or Protect in order to apply defensive pressure against bulky teams. A player may can choose to play with the Baton Pass set's EV spread to make it more physically defensive; (SC) however, always maximize Umbreon's base stats by running a Calm nature. In the case where you opt for a defensive spread, running 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD is most beneficial to Umbreon's utility potential. Lastly, Inner Focus is an interesting ability that keeps Choice Scarf Jirachi and other flinch users at bay, letting you Umbreon counter with Foul Play or set up a Wish or Baton Pass.

Checks & Counters
########

2/2
Gato, I feel like the first sentence is important information. How can I word that?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
King UU perhaps say "A Wish + Baton Pass user is an important part of many UU teams, and Umbreon's great bulk yada yada yada....for this task".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)