Other Underdogs [Mediocremons XY]

Underdogs
A Mediocremons XY RMT | Peaked at #4 in 2 days of play | Alt: LordOfSun

The Team

It's me again, DinaIsha, with another OM RMT! First of all, I always love a balanced Metagame (As in, a Metagame that doesn't have extremes in both Offense and Defense) and god knows I love OMs. Mediocremons is a bit of both and is wonderful to play. Of course the tier is small, but that is really the only drawback one can quote. I usually post my OM RMTs after I've peaked at #2 or #1, but I figured, what's the point of making an RMT after the 20th of a month, when the OM is about to be scrapped soon? So for this one, I made a team, I made a new alt and sniped the ladder as best as I can to get to #4 in just 2 days of play. There's no proof to this, of course, but frequent players in Mediocremons Ladder will know that I haven't played it for long.

The Strategy

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Magic Coat​

Smeargle is considered good in OU. So, why would it not be good in a tier where the Pokémon are 'mediocre'? Its main aim is to set up Sticky Web and if possible, Stealth Rock. Setting up Sticky Web is the utmost priority, as the team is based on that. Taunt is to stop the opponent's hazards and Magic Coat is solely for Sableye and perhaps an opposing Smeargle using Spore. You might be thinking how Smeargle deals with Xatu. Well, it doesn't. If you see a Xatu on your opponent, lead with something else. I've experienced that Rotom is the best lead in this situation.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Meet the bomb. Assuming that Sticky Web is up, Nidoqueen can sweep a poorly built MM Team and can put a giant hole even in a well-built team. It only requires that you have a neat sense of prediction. There are one or two Special Walls like Lickitung and Wartortle that can stay up against Nidoqueen, but they too can't take repeated knocks.

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Sableye is the control factor for when the game is getting out of hand. You can stall out almost all Physical Attackers and more than half of the Special Attackers in the tier with the combination of Will-O-Wisp and Recover. The 12 Speed EVs are to outspeed the common 8 Speed EVs Sableyes running around in the tier. Knock Off also plays an important roles in annoying the opponent and forcing switches.

Basculin (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

It is an unwritten law that any good team in any tier should contain a great Revenge Killer. Even Stall Teams have a Revenge Killer in handy. And who better to revenge kill than something that's the quickest in the tier and whose attacking prowess is so that it can 2HKO anything but a dedicated wall? Enter Basculin. Adaptability Choice Band Waterfall wrecks pretty much everything. Aqua Jet is a neat priority and can take care of Fletchinder, Mightyena and any other priority users. If your opponent doesn't have a Water resist, you have more or less won. Superpower is to deal with Steel Types like Ferroseed and most importantly, Abomasnow. Zen Headbutt is for the uncommon Qwilfish, which will win a 1v1 against Basculin otherwise.

Raticate (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Flame Wheel

Raticate is a cleaner like no other. If you get to set up Swords Dance and Flame Orb activates, your opponent is up for a carnage. Facade is the crux of this set, 3HKO-ing stuff like Eviolite Rhyhorn. With a bit of prior damage, it cleans up quicker than anything in the tier. Flame Wheel is essential to beat Ferroseed and Klefki, things you can't touch otherwise. Unfortunately, it struggles to beat Sableye unless you predict a Knock Off/Foul Play correctly and use Sucker Punch.

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Rotom helps out against Xatu and some other very specific situations like Rest + Sleep Talkers. If your predictions are good, Trick can help you out a lot by crippling the opponent's wall. Other than that, there's no particular strategy attached to Rotom, other than Volt Switching maybe. But in a tier whose matches end within 25 turns, there is not of lot of momentum to maintain anyway.
Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Nidoqueen (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Basculin (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Raticate (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Flame Wheel

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Once again, I'll be sure to update if and when I reach a better position in the ladder.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)