UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab (Check Post #479)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Alright boys, could you show me a Semi-Stall OR BO team featured around CM + Taunt/3Atks Viriz?
Rules:

- Have a one paragraph description with the set / core you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be. Also, actually have the set(s) you want us to use in your post. This makes the process of building teams faster for all of us here.

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Seriously, guys. Can't you read the OP of a thread before posting on it? It only takes like 2 minutes and saves you the time of posting twice and NV's time of having to quote the rules thing, which clutters the thread. That rule most of you are evading is actually extremely important, as we can identify what the purpose of the core/mon is and how has it been thought, which makes it way easier for us to build around it and deliver a team you will be happy of. Just read the OP before posting ANYWHERE. Sigh.

I tried once and had mixed results, but I'd like to build a team around Linda and Meme Cannon Future Sight Reuni. I'm not married to the EVs or move sets (although I have had success baiting dark types into signal beam/prefer it over focus miss). Final product should be balanced, since regen future sight Reuni needs to be moving in and out to be effective (and thus needs other mons who can take hits to switch in), and Linda should be the sweeper/cleaner (duh).

Linda (Fletchinder)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp

Reuniclus @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Flash Cannon

Some things I'm wondering:
*Should I switch the EVs on Linda to a balance between HP and Def to absorb knock off (helping Reuni)/have an easier time switching in against physical attackers, or do I need the max HP to deal with weak special attacks?
*Is defog the way to go with teams like this where an important part is SUPER SR weak? Or can you still rely on rapid spin despite spin blockers?
*How important is wish support for a core that has good regen built in?

Curious to see what pairings you guys suggest.

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Mrbassman

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Dark]

chunk (Salamence) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Refresh
- Roost

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch

So CM Cobalion is a really cool lure for things like Doublade and Chandelure, who wall the SD variants. I also went with HP Dark > Ghost because it has a better IV distribution. I went with DD FatMence as the next mon as it complemented Cobalion's ability to beat bulky physical mons that it lures in while being able to tank hits from Fire-, Ground- and Fighting-types that try to overpower Cobalion. Nidoqueen was added next as an initial Fairy resist, another Fairy killer, and an obligatory SR setter. RoarCune was added to avoid setup sweepers beating this team while also spreading ez burns with Scald. It also allows the opponent's team to rack up hazard damage. Mega Houndoom was added as a fast win condition that can handily beat Grass-types such as Shaymin that this team struggles with. Lastly, was standard Forretress for a solid Mamo check as well as providing Spikes support to rack up entry hazard damage with RoarCune while also being able to spin hazards away. Hope you like the team and let me know what you think!

iWanka please can i ask that you change the EV spread and moveset of King to include Superpower and change the rest of the team as necessary. thank you

NV the team looks awesome, thanks!! I'm really digging that crispy Salamence set! I'll play around with it when I have the chance and post some replays here when I have a chance.

Reactions: nv

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
iWanka please can i ask that you change the EV spread and moveset of King to include Superpower and change the rest of the team as necessary. thank you
You can just add superpower if you want, you don't need to ask me. And if you do change it to superpower all you'd need to do is just change the nature from Timid to Naive, the evs would still be fine as is.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Escavalier @ Assault Vest / Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Megahorn
- Knock Off / Swords Dance / Rest / Whatever works

Requesting a balance team with Escavalier!

escav is a rly cool mon that I used a lot in early ORAS RU but has kind-of fallen down the drain without mons like cress that it can set up on.
however with the hydra + florges spam on the uu ladder i would like to see how this thing works in combination with like Kyurem, on a nice fat balance team.
i asked for a resttalk SD set in the chat but everyone said it was shit so use whatever Escavalier set that works :]
i rly like the fact that Escav can easily pursuit things like Bat, and iron head the fuck out of fairies and occasional M-aero's that stay in. it also pursuits mega beedrill so that's a big plus, cuz i dont think a lot of ppl will expect it.

Colbrushie

Summer Nights (Meloetta) @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Pennyroyal (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Survival Tactics (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpA
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

World Domination (Salamence) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Defog
- Fire Blast

Funky Ho'$ (Florges) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

FromDaTomb$ (Sharpedo-Mega) @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

i decided to use colbur melo here since i never found lefties recovery neccesary on offensive cm sets, although it certainly works here. the main premise of this team is that melo and cobal can wear down each others checks n all that shtick, hence melo bein able to check blades, jelli, and chand, while cobal checks hydrei, krook, mandi, etc. pert and mence are the general hazard setters / removers, check fire-types, and provide other smaller things like vswitch immunity and ground immunity. florges rounds off the balance core since it heals up pert and gets rid of status if necessary, while also taking care of most offensive threats like non iron tail variants of hydrei and mence, hera, mien, etc. shark seems like kind of an odd choice here, but i added it as a late-game cleaner since it appreciates the breaking melo does, as well as providin' a check to fat psychics.

after a bit of testing this was the squad i was the most satisfied with, hope you like it dude.

Thanks a lot Bouffalant! I tried building a bit on my own with the Melo set but didn't really think to use Colbur over Lefties, as I figured the passive recovery would help it switch into Scalds and other moves more freely. I typically don't build with a cleric too often, opting to build more towards bulky offense, but the cleric support from Florges should really help the team out.

Looks great, can't wait for myself and others to try it out :]

Also Chikorita is a cutie

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, rovietsussia! Here's your request!

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn

Salamence @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Defog
- Roost

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Scald

Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hyper Voice
- Grass Knot

Empoleon @ Petaya Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Agility
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam

Here's my thought process on building this team. First of all, I chose your SubPetaya Empoleon request because I got so obsessed to boosting Berries, and I wanted to give this Empoleon a try. Next, I put Heliolisk because I was looking for a Pokemon that can eliminate all bulky waters at all costs. Then, I got torn choosing Crobat and Salamence because they provided a good Ground immunity and Fighting resist, until I ultimately chose Salamence for its added Fire resistance.

Now that this team is full of Special Attackers, I needed to balance out with more Physical attackers, starting with Choice Band Infernape. Infernape's Water-type weakness coupled with its ability to U-turn, can aid Heliolisk in taking care of Water attacks with ease. Next, I used Swampert because the team needs a hazard setter that will ease KO's on these offensive Pokemon. Finally, I went for Mega Beedrill so as to take care of other bulky Psychic-types that will threaten the team badly since I only have Empoleon as my Psychic resist.

Some concerns I have found include the following:
--> A moderately serious Belly Drum Slurpuff weakness once executed, and it requires Swampert to be in full health to take a hit from Play Rough and Roar it away. If that's the case, you need to keep Swampert alive and not take hits recklessly.
--> Massive Ground weakness which only Salamence can absorb; but it can be played around through Swampert tanking some Earthquakes.

I am feeling satisfied with the output, and I hope you should give this a try. If you have any questions or violent reactions with this team, feel free to fire it away (here, or PM, or wherever), and of course, you're free to change the team to your liking.

Last edited:

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
Wanted: Hazard Stack Stall

I've been playing with stall a bit lately and have noticed that a lot of people complain the stall is too passive. While stall is by nature passive, stall can still exert defensive pressure through residual damage and hazards. Stall is meant to be played more carefully, but it doesn't mean that stall plays without aggression. The best stall teams, or at least the ones that separate themselves from mediocrity, are the stall teams that are able to be played aggressively and push their own agenda while at the same time being able to turtle up and deal with threats if need be. They can start spike stacking if the opponent is playing too passively and can take advantage of free turns that are caused on switches. If the opponent dials up a hot blitz package the team can simply deprioritize their stacking plans and focus on the task at hand. Great stalls are able to play with that liberty. Simply put, stall is better if the opponent is more focused on removing hazards or licking their scald burns than on formulating a plan to break through your impenetrable castle. At the same time, the team should be able to live up to the impenetrable tag.

Now to the actual team I want:
  • Edit:
Can I have the team around Jellicent and Chesnaught, Ill let you decide on evs and movests and stuff

Pretty please with cherries on top don't change this to anything but a pure stall team. I really want to show off a good example of how stall does not need to play passively in order to win and how defensive pressure is exerted. Thanks in advance :))

Last edited:

nv

The Lost Age
Wanted: Hazard Stack Stall

I've been playing with stall a bit lately and have noticed that a lot of people complain the stall is too passive. While stall is by nature passive, stall can still exert defensive pressure through residual damage and hazards. Stall is meant to be played more carefully, but it doesn't mean that stall plays without aggression. The best stall teams, or at least the ones that separate themselves from mediocrity, are the stall teams that are able to be played aggressively and push their own agenda while at the same time being able to turtle up and deal with threats if need be. They can start spike stacking if the opponent is playing too passively and can take advantage of free turns that are caused on switches. If the opponent dials up a hot blitz package the team can simply deprioritize their stacking plans and focus on the task at hand. Great stalls are able to play with that liberty. Simply put, stall is better if the opponent is more focused on removing hazards or licking their scald burns than on formulating a plan to break through your impenetrable castle. At the same time, the team should be able to live up to the impenetrable tag.

Now to the actual team I want:
  • I don't have any pokemon requests to be exact, but I want the basic idea to be present; The team should be centered around stacking hazards and making sure they stay there with pokemon like Jellicent who spinblocks and taunts. I would also like good phazers to be present to help spread damage, roartalk cune instantly comes to mind for example
  • Hazard war. It is imperative to have solid hazard removers as well if you want to win the hazard removers. Ideally a spin+defog combo would work as you can spin when you want your own hazard game going, but defog if their spinblockers are troubling you. But yea nothing is more annoying than to be taking 15 damage everytime you switchin. A real luxury would be to have all 3 types of hazards on the team, but that may not be possible so that is not a major requirement, just something to add the cherry on top
So to give you at least something to work with here are some core ideas I was thinking about for this team

Jellinaught perhaps? Chesnaught starts spiking, Jellicent keeps it up and they both have defensive synergy as well.

Swampert and forry can get all the hazards up and removes them as well. Both have defensive synergy.

Once again defensive synergy,Spdef Roserade can set spikes on a lot of things that get drawn into Suicune. This is a good example imo of forcing the opponent to play to your whims even with stall. Suicune funnels in the opponents Suicune counter and your opponent is worried about stopping cune rather than making a gameplan. Roartalk cune to take advantage of Roserade hazards.
There are probably a lot more hazard stack cores for stall but these are the ones that came up off the top of my head.

Pretty please with cherries on top don't change this to anything but a pure stall team. I really want to show off a good example of how stall does not need to play passively in order to win and how defensive pressure is exerted. Thanks in advance :))
I understand you want hazard stack stall, however the goal of this Lab is to build around a specific core / mon with the playstyle in mind rather than building around a specific playstyle. So basically us as builders need a core (one of those three should suffice) and we can go from there. Hopefully this helps you and future posters know that the core / mon comes first with the playstyle as an addition to said core / mon.

All right, I've played a lot of (~30) games with NV's CM Coba team, but I don't have that many replays because the majority of them were against people who didn't know what they were doing. The things I noticed were 1) the team really wanted a switch-in to powerful special attackers like Hydreigon and 2) I really wanted knock off because otherwise special walls like AV Goodra, AV Machamp, and SpDef P2 could put in work vs. me. To address these I made the following changes:

SpDef Pert > Roarcune: Swampert is nice for a few reasons. It's a bulky hazard setter with really nice defensive typing, which lets me get rocks a lot of times Queen can't. It still has that nice Ground typing, so it's a great volt switch-in (except v. Rotom-C, but I haven't yet seen anybody using that). It also tanks a Draco from LO Hydra, which then gives me the opportunity to either predict a switch, or go safely into Coba. Swampert still has Roar, so it's still my general answer to setup sweepers. (Sets below).

Since Swampert more or less replaced the function of Queen, I then substituted Mega Beedrill > Nidoqueen. MBee maintains Queen's ability to kill Fairies, but also gives me knock off and greater overall physical presence. MBee can either break walls, letting Cobalion or Chandelure (below) sweep, or it can let those two break down the physical walls and wear away the enemy with U-turn.

Finally, since Bee was now my mega, I substituted SubCM Chandelure > NP Megadoom. Chandelure is still a pretty good set-up sweeper, though admittedly not as fast as Megadoom. The increased ability to set up on Fairies is appreciated, as is the recovery. While Chandy can't beat Shaymin 1v1 the way Doom can, with Beedrill around that's not as much of a problem.

Let me know what you think about these changes.

Replays:
Here's one with the original team in which CM Coba shines breaking down an arbitrary SpDef Milotic, and just generally putting in a ton of work. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-284006493
This is with my revisions. Cobalion unfortunately doesn't get to show off too much here because I have to sack it to get rid of an annoying Cloyster. I sort of choke at the end when I Shadow Ball his Goodra instead of CMing, but he misses Draco because I'm lucky and bad. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-284742220
In this battle Cobalion doesn't really get an opportunity to CM, but it does get off enough damage to ensure I only have to sack three Pokemon to a mix LO DD Mence with HP investment. (Though afterwards I learned that +1 SpDef Cobalion easily lives Fire Blast even from 252 SpA LO Mence, so I should have just CMed on the obvious DD and proceeded to crush with Coba.) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-287248762

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

EDIT: Sorry for a no-doubt stupid question, but how do you change the text on the hide box?
EDIT EDIT: Thank you for I'm actually Cash for showing me the light.

Last edited:
All right, I've played a lot of (~30) games with NV's CM Coba team, but I don't have that many replays because the majority of them were against people who didn't know what they were doing. The things I noticed were 1) the team really wanted a switch-in to powerful special attackers like Hydreigon and 2) I really wanted knock off because otherwise special walls like AV Goodra, AV Machamp, and SpDef P2 could put in work vs. me. To address these I made the following changes:

SpDef Pert > Roarcune: Swampert is nice for a few reasons. It's a bulky hazard setter with really nice defensive typing, which lets me get rocks a lot of times Queen can't. It still has that nice Ground typing, so it's a great volt switch-in (except v. Rotom-C, but I haven't yet seen anybody using that). It also tanks a Draco from LO Hydra, which then gives me the opportunity to either predict a switch, or go safely into Coba. Swampert still has Roar, so it's still my general answer to setup sweepers. (Sets below).

Since Swampert more or less replaced the function of Queen, I then substituted Mega Beedrill > Nidoqueen. MBee maintains Queen's ability to kill Fairies, but also gives me knock off and greater overall physical presence. MBee can either break walls, letting Cobalion or Chandelure (below) sweep, or it can let those two break down the physical walls and wear away the enemy with U-turn.

Finally, since Bee was now my mega, I substituted SubCM Chandelure > NP Megadoom. Chandelure is still a pretty good set-up sweeper, though admittedly not as fast as Megadoom. The increased ability to set up on Fairies is appreciated, as is the recovery. While Chandy can't beat Shaymin 1v1 the way Doom can, with Beedrill around that's not as much of a problem.

Let me know what you think about these changes.

Replays:
Here's one with the original team in which CM Coba shines breaking down an arbitrary SpDef Milotic, and just generally putting in a ton of work. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-284006493
This is with my revisions. Cobalion unfortunately doesn't get to show off too much here because I have to sack it to get rid of an annoying Cloyster. I sort of choke at the end when I Shadow Ball his Goodra instead of CMing, but he misses Draco because I'm lucky and bad. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-284742220

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Chandelure @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Protect

EDIT: Sorry for a no-doubt stupid question, but how do you change the text on the hide box?
You put hide=then the name

Cynde

toasty
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Parting Shot

Hi, I would like a team to be built around the above sets please. Ideally it should be a full trick room team. If that isnt possible its fine, but the reason i wanted something build around this is because you rarely see any good trick room teams around, and ive had absolutely no luck coming up with a decent one, so hopefully you guys will be able to make a good one.

The core is fairy simple. Pangoro covers the two weaknesses Hoopa has. They are both ridiculously powerful and one of their primary drawbacks is the lack of speed, so hopefully having a trick room team remedies that.

Edit: please and thanks.

Last edited:
Id like some stall team with Hitmontop as the lead, i usually play with stall but have problems with fast mons with Taunt such as Hydreigon, i dont think it carries Flash Cannon that often so Aromatisse would be a good idea agaisnt Hydreigon for stall?
I dont have a clear idea with Hitmontop set, but i suppose ill go with the typical Intimidate, Mach Punch, Rapid Spin and Fake Out lead as with Aromatisse i think i want Wish, Moonblast, Toxic and Protect

If Hitmontop cant be used in a stall team, a balanced team would be also be fine

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
EVs: I dont know here, i see HP, Def and SpDef as equally important stats
Nature: same with above
-Fake Out
-Mach Punch
-Rapid Spin
-Bullet punch?

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpDef, 4 SpAtk (If some EVs going to Def is better, feel free to do it)
Nature: Calm
-Wish
-Toxic
-Moonblast
-Protect/Aromatherapy

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)