SM OU Unlegendary Bulky Offense

It's been a very long time since I posted a RMT here. I think the last time was when I was preparing for the Kanto Classic!

Thanks to problems I had with Generation VII as well as a lack of people to battle, I just got out of Pokemon. Last month, an old high school friend contacted me and we played some Pokemon and it reinvigorated me.

I have decided to do a team building challenge for this team. Here's the basic rule:

No Legendaries, Mythicals, or Ultra Beasts

Sometimes it seems like every team has Landorus and many have other Legendaries or Ultra Beasts. I just think it is interesting to use a team with none of that and it is a fun challenge, both in team building and in actual battles.
Otherwise, it is standard OU.

This is being built on cart, so it needs to be fairly easy to make a reality. This also includes stuff related to event moves. I do have games from Gen III on, but still, it's just easier to minimize the extra work by keeping it in Generation VI or VII.

Anyway, on to the team:

This is a bulky offense team. The basic concept has always appealed to me, especially as bulky Pokemon tend to do better for me than glass cannons. This is based on my final Generation VI team, though I did take out Sylveon and Rotom-W over time.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is here as a bulky wallbreaker/Rapid Spinner. With a 1/4 Stealth Rock resistance and an immunity to Toxic Spikes, there aren’t many better Rapid Spinners in the game. An additional bonus is being immune to the common status moves Toxic and Thunder Wave. STAB Mold Breaker Earthquake takes out many foes, including Rotom-Wash. Rock Slide hits what Earthquake can not and Iron Head is there as an extra cover move. Rapid Spin is there to get rid of Entry Hazards. Assault Vest helps Excadrill to easily switch in on many special attackers.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock

Once again, Gliscor is on my team since he is a fantastic physical wall. Poison Heal Gliscor heals really well, better than Leftovers and it keeps it immune to Frozen, Burn, Sleep, or the rare Paralyze (well, rare for a Ground-type). Earthquake is an excellent STAB and Ice Fang covers nicely. Protect is there to let Toxic Orb do its thing as well as give The Batman a free turn to heal (I love doing that before I switch him out so he has higher HP before leaving the fray and wasting a PP of an opponent’s move as well as scouting). Rounding off the moveset is Stealth Rock.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt

I swear, this is my favorite psuedo-legend of all time. Cute and wonderfully bulky (combined with solid Special Attack), Goodra keeps enemy Pokémon on their toes. Just like Excadrill, Goodra has an Assault Vest, boosting his already excellent Special Defense even higher. Sap Sipper is useful for when I face the occasional Breloom (I’ve killed a few Breloom after it tried to put Goodra to sleep). Dragon Pulse is a good STAB move with Sludge Bomb and Flamethrower to help out against Fairies and Steel-type Pokémon. Thunderbolt is on him to handle bulky Water-types that may give me trouble.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I love Mega Scizor. With great bulk and Atk, Scizor can easily switch in, set up with Swords Dance, and sweep. Bullet Punch is the STAB move of choice with Knock Off giving it decent coverage and utility. Roost is to heal him up to keep him going. This has been my Mega of choice since the pre-Pokemon Bank days of X and Y. Just a fantastic Pokemon.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Replacing the Sylveon I have used for a long time, Clefable is a fantastic cleric. With a good HP stat, solid bulk, good pure Fairy typing, and the amazing Unaware ability, Clefable can just come in an easily survive. Wish and Heal Bell are both there to keep my Pokemon healthy. Protect is for scouting, stalling, and for self-healing (with Leftovers or Wish). Moonblast rounds off the set by being a good STAB move so it isn't Taunt bait.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Replacing Rotom-W as my bulky Water-type, Toxapex is a fantastic utility 'mon. His fantastic typing, bulk, access to Recover, and the always great Regenerator ability, he is a tough Pokemon to take out. Toxic Spikes helps to take out many 'mons and to punish switch ins, Scald is the best STAB for any bulky Water, and Haze is a useful utility move to counter set-up sweepers.

So that's my team. I have a lot of experience and I do know it's flaws fairly well:

One) Stall
I find that I just don't have enough power to overwhelm stall teams.

Two) Physical walls
Physical walls can be a bit difficult for me to handle since my best attackers are physical with only Goodra as a special attacker.

Three) Move variety
I sometimes feel like I don't have good offensive coverage at times between all my 'mons. It is especially hard with Water-types. I would like to figure out ways of adding in Fighting-type attacks as well as another Ice-type attack, in addition to Grass/Electric.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)