Unofficial UUs (Read Post #13) (don't post bugs here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just going to point out that this was true in the last generational shift as well: most of the fixtures of DPP OU were legal in BW/2 UU.
To this extent, though, where the meta game was literally defined by these? I mean, the rain nerf was absolutely fantastic and catastrophic for rain teams but Keldeo went from S class OU down to UU (Though it still could EASILY rank in some B class viability OU) immediately.

I guess it really proves that UU doesn't mean not viable :/ Just feels like 59 might not be a big enough OU this gen.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Wait, I think I have missed something here. How are Deo-D and Deo-S UU? Didn't they get more usage than Terrakion, according to the usage stats thread in the main forum?

This
I guess it really proves that UU doesn't mean not viable :/
is something I've been trying to drum into people's heads since I took over the usage stats.

To quote myself:

What does OU mean?
One of the grandest and most controversial questions we have in this community is what our tier list represents. Is an OU Pokemon more powerful than one in a lower tier? Is Gastrodon a "better" Pokemon than Victini or Zapdos?

My personal answer to this question is no: our tiers do not do a good job of ranking a Pokemon's "power." So if a UU Pokemon isn't inherently better than one in RU, what's the point of tiers?

Again, this is a controversial subject, but my answer is that OU means what it stands for, that these Pokemon are simply "overused," and that the primary function of tiers is as threat lists. To elaborate, I'm going to point you folks to the original defining of our current OU-UU cutoff: in short, a Pokemon is OU if, in playing 20 battles, there's at least a 50% chance of you encountering that Pokemon at least once. This is an acknowledgement of the fact that there are 649 Pokemon out there--if you're designing a team of six Pokemon, it's unlikely that you're going to be able to make sure that your team has a way of dealing with each and every Pokemon out there. But if you're making an OU team, you probably will never have to worry if your team gets completely wrecked by Leavanny, since it doesn't even appear on one team in a thousand. What the OU/UU cutoff literally says is: "if said Pokemon is UU or below, you still have a good shot of going 20-0 even if your team is super weak to that Pokemon."
which addresses the last part of your post as well:
Just feels like 59 might not be a big enough OU this gen.
Tiers should have a relatively fixed size, no matter how many Pokemon are released / viable, because what we want from a tier list is a (manageable) list of Pokemon for a player to need to prepare for. Honestly, 59 might be a bit too big, and I would seriously consider RAISING the cutoff to have FEWER Pokemon in each tier before I'd consider lowering the threshold.

Wait, I think I have missed something here. How are Deo-D and Deo-S UU? Didn't they get more usage than Terrakion, according to the usage stats thread in the main forum?
Cutoffs are determined by a weighting of the last three months of stats. The most recent month is the most relevant, making up ~83% of the stats, but there's still that other 17% to factor in from previous months.

Shame that my favorite speed booster didn't make OU, at least I can use it in UU where I can suspect it to dominate as it's main checks, and counters are mostly OU. It still needs to watch out for phazing, plus it lost it partner Espeon. Since it's still the beginning, where suspect tests have yet to happen, I can see a lot of changes to OU.

I'm wondering who will be the premiere Sticky Web user in UU.

shadowyoshi64 Well, your choices are:

Ariados
Shuckle
Masquerain
Leavanny
Joltik / Surskit

Masquerain has Intimidate and some nice resistances but is 4x weak to SR. Leavanny is the fastest. Shuckle has the best bulk. I included Surskit / Joltik because their speeds are decent (at 65) while having unique typing.

Chansey, Jellicent, Quagsire, Gourgeist, Chesnaught and Slowbro are legal in UU at this point. This means I've been playing very effective stall teams in OU where 2/3rds of the team were UU. Heatran will be missed but it seems like stall will be VERY viable this generation.

Well we might all be shocked at what we are seeing atm but we should keep in mind the following changes which have changed the game:

1) Fairy Type
2) Defog
3) Weather Nerf
4) Move BP Nerfs/Buffs
5) Mega evolutions
6) Ability/move mechanic changes and new additions

And to lesser extend new hazard, priorities and new type combinations. Add to that the new aspect of the game/pokemons and there are bound to be a lot of pokemon that are seeing "lesser" usage then they should.

Pokemon will always increase in numbers by each gen and title, but talks about making a new tier/dropping cutoff is a bit premature. We should let things run it's course, go through the usual method of dealing with seemingly overpowered threats in X tier and then see if the methods being applied are ineffective anymore.

============

One of the first things I want to try in this Beta UU is a Politoed + Rain Dance Kingdra team. Of course a Hippodon + Stoutland is equally viable as well. While the current list may seem a bit HO-ish at first, there are a lot of bulky pokemon to make use of, Latias, Florges and Jellicent among many.

Edit: "following changes which have changed the game"

Last edited:
Mario With Lasers That's weird--there must be something wrong with my script that those Pokemon didn't show up in my Mega stats.

Edit: Yes, some serious typos. Also found some issues regarding Charizard/Mewtwo.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Maybe items like Gardevoirite were used more than 3.41% of the time by their holders and that's what threw you off? :P I'm looking at the unofficial UU Banlist right now and none of the pokémon I mention are listed, so their Megas should be allowed in UU unless kokoloko decides to put any of them in BL.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Kyurem-Black (no way will this thing stay, awful coverage or not)
Awful coverage? Did you forget this thing gets mixed BoltBeam, Earth Power, Focus Blast, Iron Head and that little insignificant thing called STAB Outrage coming from 170 base attack?

As for the OU cutoff being 3.4%, I'll add my two cents: it's still an arbitrary number and there is no written rule that says it couldn't be changed if there was need to do so. Ideally the BL tiers should be as small as possible, so if we end up with something like 20+ BL mons this generation it means it's time to change it. As long as this doesn't happen, it means that UU is relatively balanced and the cutoff is fine.

Last edited:
I believe Chandelure will become a dangerous force to be reckoned with this gen in UU primarily because of the presence of Drought Ninetales.

Arcanine and Darmanitan will also be dangerous.

Well,there is a lot of pokémons that are going up to OU and some that are going back to UU.
The Deoxys and Black Kyurem are going to return to OU,Politoed and Ninetales maybe because of the weather,probably Keldeo,Celebi and Metagross too

On OU Kangaskhan and Sableye are problaby going to UU

Also,is the going to be any UU room on Showdown coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)