Unorthodox Team

So I recently ended up joining the world of competitive pokemon, and I made a team which initially served me quite well. However, I've found that it tends to get screwed over hard by sandstorm and hail teams which are firmly part of the meta, as well as phazers, and I'd like some suggestions to help improve it.

The team is based off the following core:

In order to provide some additional type coverage and additional sweep options, I decided to add Arcanine and Cloyster, making my team look like this:

I then decided that I could use a strong revenge killer, as well as round out my type defenses, so I added the king of revenge, Gengar. Thus, my team became:

(I am aware this is a ridiculously un-orthodox team)

To go more indepth:

Ninjask @ Focus Sash
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 216 HP/ 42 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Naive (+Spe -SpeDef)
Moveset:
-Swords Dance
-Baton Pass
-Protect
-X-Scissor

This is one of the core members of the team, and my lead. In general, my goal is to swords dance as much as possible, use focus sash and protect to stay alive, and baton pass the hell out of there whenever I get the chance. If my opponent hasn't placed entry hazards, I can do this halfway through a fight as well. Also, X-Scissor lets Ninjask pack quite a punch on any leads that might be weak to it, although I've noticed this has become fairly rare. However, Ninjask gets completely screwed over by entry hazards, priority moves, and damaging weather effects.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 42 HP/ 252 Atk/ 216 Spe
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpeAtk)
Moveset:
-Night Slash
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage

Haxorus is THE core sweeper in the team, and my primary choice for Baton Pass from Ninjask. With speed and attack boosts from Ninjask, plus wide type coverage, it can completely annihilate a team if allowed to set up. Again, one of the main issues is being able to set up in the first place, as switching into the wrong move can, and will, kill my primary sweeper. If I suspect a dragon-type move or an ice-type move, I will instead Baton Pass to Cloyster.

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 216 HP/ 174 Def/ 80 SpeAtk/ 40 SpeDef
Nature: Modest (+SpeAtk -Atk)
Moveset:
-Calm Mind
-Moonlight
-Sunny Day
-Psychic

In my opinion, as a general wall there is nothing better than Cresselia. With 305+ on both Special Defense and Defense, as well as 435 health, there is almost nothing that can knock out Cresselia in less than three turns. In this time, there is plenty of time to Sunny day to remove weather effects that I hate, Moonlight to restore health, calm mind to become even more unkillable, and psweep with psychic. Obvious problems are permanent weather effects, Dark/Ghost types, and physical attackers. Tyranitar is Cresselia's worst nightmare, as it combines all three in an amalgamation of FUCK YOU!

Arcanine @ Lum Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpeAtk)
Moveset:
-Close Combat
-Flare Blitz
-Roar
-Wild Charge

My phazer and tertiary sweeper, Arcanine is my strongest counter to any fire-types, and functions as an incredible wall-breaker. He is extremely likely to obliterate himself on his enemy, but when they're dead, it doesn't matter too much. If I am anticipating a fire-type move, I will swap in Arcanine and proceed to sweep.

Cloyster @ Shell Bell
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 168 HP/ 112 Def/ 228 SpeDef
Nature: Careful (+SpeDef -SpeAtk)
Moveset:
-Icicle Spear
-Rapid Spin
-Shell Smash
-Razor Shell

Holy mother of pearl goddess can Cloyster sweep. With a +1 Speed and +2 Attack, Cloyster will obliterate an entire team. With 283 Hitpoints and 424 defense, it is HIGHLY unlikely to die to physical attackers. I prefer to reveal Cloyster later, when several of its counters are gone. However, if properly set up, Cloyster will single-handedly win the game.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpeAtk/ 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
Moveset:
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Shadow Ball
-Thunder Bolt

One of the original and best revenge killers, Gengar rounds out my team by providing almost perfect type coverage (I believe that only Fire and Electric are not covered), insane speed, and high special attack.

So, what do you think I could do to improve my (admittedly unorthodox and weird) team so that it works in this current meta dominated by heavy weather?

Hi, nice team. I love how you're giving uncommon pokemon a chance to shine, and I'll do my best to keep it in mind when rating.

The problem with this team with that weather absolutely destroys you. Excadrill outspeeds and OHKOs every single person on your team, and sand ruins Ninjask's Focus Sash so he won't be doing much passing. In sun, Venusaur can grab a Growth against multiple members, then proceed to lay waste to everything. Arcanine helps somewhat, but is still beaten by many Chlorophyll sweepers. Rain is probably the easiest for you, but even then Thundurus can use many team members as setup fodder. It can also only be stopped at +2 by a Ninjask Baton Pass, which will be impossible if he carries Taunt or has broken your sash. Cresslia can wall somewhat, but won't be doing too much damage back, and is again shut down totally by Tyranitar/Taunt/Sleep Powder, common on Sand/Rain/Sun teams respectively.

To fix these problems, I recommend you use Kingdra over Cloyster. Kingdra is tough for all weather teams, thanks to its 4X resistance to Fire and Water, access to Rain Dance to stop Fire-types, and his ability, Swift Swim. Here's a good set:

Kingdra@Leftovers
Mild Nature, 92 Att/252SpA/164 Spe
Rain Dance
Hydro Pump
Waterfall
Draco Meteor

Even though it's UU, Kingdra is one of the best weather counters in the game. This Kingdra functions much like it did in Gen IV Rain teams; come in, set up Rain Dance, and proceed to sweep everything. It's a great boost for your teams since it can set up its own Weather (ending your opponent's), and can beat every weather starter one-on-one. The problem is especially apparent for Tyranitar, who has no interest in eating a Super-effective Waterfall. Hydro Pump is for extra power, while Draco Meteor is your weapon of choice when you need to take out a Water resist. Since this Kingdra is you best answer to weather team, i changed the item to Leftovers from the usual Life Orb to increase longevity. In fact, it would be perfectly acceptable to move some more EVs into bulk in order to help him combat threats like a Venusaur that has already set up. While Kingdra is able to counter Sand somewhat, it is nowhere near as good at that as it is at stopping Sun/Rain.

Even with your own weather changer, Excadrill can still be a problem if it gets in and sand is up. For this reason, I recommend you use Bronzong over Cresslia:

Brozong@Leftovers
Sassy Nature, 252HP 84Att/ 80Def/ 96 SpD ll 2 Spe IVs
Earthquake
HP Ice
Stealth Rock
Gyro Ball

Bronzong is a utility counter, and is able to stop many pokemon on Sand teams cold. Gliscor, Landorus, and even the omni-present Excadrill are all hard countered by him. Earthquake is almost soley for the Sand-Rushing menace, but is necessary to stop his sweep. HP Ice nails Gliscor and Landorus, while Gyro Ball is STAB and can round out coverage nicely. Stealth Rock gives you hazards, which are always helpful for any team.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)