Unpopular Opinions: Scarlet & Violet Edition

or the lag in the various cities or in mesagoza, or the very public memory leak glitches at launch or seeing all the pokemon enter their T Pose or simply running around and just seeing the game stutter trying to handle Koraidon's speed + loading in the next area + spawning the Pokemon. Or anything going on in Raids, the jankiest battle stye.

The really bad glitches are relatively rare, but the game is absolutely full of them and really easy to notice just by casually playing the game. Like I like the game! I like running around Paldea! It is impossible not to notice the jank and framerate.
My favorite is the information (admittedly hearsay) that apparently one of the contributors to Scarlet being preferred for Speed Runs is because Miraidon's particle and light effects make the game more prone to slowdown.

My favorite is the information (admittedly hearsay) that apparently one of the contributors to Scarlet being preferred for Speed Runs is because Miraidon's particle and light effects make the game more prone to slowdown.
Violet does lag compared to Scarlet, but it's not because of Miraidon since runners lose time even before they get the mount. Nobody actually knows why it lags.

Violet also has an out-of-place loading zone in Area Zero, which would save time if not for the constant lag.

My issue isn't framerate or glitches, it's the draw distance. I mean, I get minor movement glitches on a regular basis on the Ride Mon, but they're not a big deal, and I can handle lag. But mons appear next to me if I'm sprinting fast enough, which does not make moving around smooth or easy.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Look sir idk what kind of emulator you are using, but there is no way you havent noticed the absolutely massive fps drops in the lake area
Sorry to disappoint, but no I haven’t. If there is one, it hasn’t affected my gameplay experience at all.

or the lag in the various cities or in mesagoza, or the very public memory leak glitches at launch or seeing all the pokemon enter their T Pose or simply running around and just seeing the game stutter trying to handle Koraidon's speed + loading in the next area + spawning the Pokemon. Or anything going on in Raids, the jankiest battle stye.
I have had certain lag issues in Online Raids, but I’ve yet to come across a game with online features where this is not an issue… so no complaints here.

Sorry to disappoint, but no I haven’t. If there is one, it hasn’t affected my gameplay experience at all.

I have had certain lag issues in Online Raids, but I’ve yet to come across a game with online features where this is not an issue… so no complaints here.
I don't even mean lag in raids, I mean things like desynching the turns, the text boxes not working properly, wasting time by showing the actions of another turn when it shouldn't be, the ability of the game to just not acknowledge that the enemy is actually dead for like 2full turns even when doing a CPU raid.

and people wont by 5 different versions of the same pokemon. new pokemon boost merch sales drastically. the point im trying to make is that from an economic standpoint, waiting even a year longer in between games is not an option. as a second party developer, they are under a lot of stress to make as much money as possible, and that means cutting corners to get the games out on time. if you have a solution for them that dosent involve shouting at them to do better or telling them to take their time and dont worry about their income, (like for example: maybe dont do it in hd, take pokemon concepts from fans, debug using known glitch hunters, cut out move animations, ect.) they would probobly love to hear it. but complaining about the final product will only get the games and the game makers undeserved hate, and ruin everyones day. this isnt a leadership problem, this isnt a technical issue, this is an unavoidable side effect of trying to keep up with the demand of the highest grossing media franchise of all time. even now, the devs are still working tirelessly to fix the issues with the game, even though its already out. no one here is in a position to critisize gamefreak for this, and it makes my blood boil every time i see someone do this.
I don't understand why they can't just get help from another Japanese developer. More manpower can't hurt can it?

if one more person complains about how buggy sv is, i will commit a crime of an unspecified but non-insignificant scale. game freak has to pump out a new pokemon game every three years, otherwise no new pokemon come out. that means the anime stops, the merch stops, to some extent the card game stops, and all sources of income for gamefreak are halted until new pokemon come out. and these pokemon have to be good. when people bring up gen 5 pokemon, do they bring up bisharp, volcarona, zoruark, hydreigon, haxorus, krookadile, or any of the other cool pokemon it has to offer. no. they only bring up the lines of kling, vanilite, the monkeys, and garbodor. those are just 14 of the 156 new pokemon introduced in gen 5, and yet they are the ones that get all the attention. and thats just the concepts they have to come up with. they also have to implimant the data for all of the previous pokemon they made, all in the best graphics feasable for the time. this may have been fine when there were only 300 pokemon, but in case you havent noticed, theres a bit more than that now. they have to code over 1000 pokemon in 3 years, while also coming up with new concepts for pokemon, people, places, and stories. they tried to mitigate this by including only some of the pokemon, but despite there being statistically 0 people who like heatmor, fans were outraged that game freak were hesitant to not include over 1000 pokemon in the new games. thats not the only shortcuts they tried to take to keep their buisness afloat. sword and shield is a very unpopular game, and yet few people try to ask why it was so bad. if they want to impliment 1000 different pokemon, a bunch of flashy mechanics, a giant world to explore, a compelling story, ballenced gameplay, and new creative designs, thats gonna cost the weekends of the aproxamately 400 employees who worked tirelessly to make sure the game was even released on time. people like to complain about the situation the games come out in, but under these circumstances, they were gonna complain no matter how the game came out, unless it were to be delayed, which is not an option if game freak wants to keep their buisness running. do you have any idea how cruel the japanese coding industry already is on the workers? they worked tirelessly to feed their families, and you have the audacity to insult their results?
So how's the taste of boot?

But seriously, there is so much wrong with this. Even if Game Freak stopped making Pokémon games, they would still make an insane amount of money from merchandise as long as we're alive, as that's where the vast majority of the money comes from. Charizard, Pikachu, and Eevee sell well enough, there's no need for new Pokémon every three years. All the games clearly reuse a lot of code, so no they don't have to code "1000+ Pokémon" every single time. Also, "best graphics feasable for the time"? Don't make me laugh. Also, that's a big strawman of people who don't like Dexit, it's easy to make it sound silly by focusing on one Pokémon, but when hundreds are missing it's easy to see why people are upset, especially when features such as graphics, online play, etc. are not improved nearly enough to compensate. You can appeal to the poor Japanese workers all you want, but by shutting down all criticism, you are defending this system. Scarlet and Violet is a mess that is so buggy that Sonic Boom laughs at it, has online play that would have been seen as lackluster in the 2000s, has less content than the Gen V games, and graphically looks like it could have been on the PS2. And the thing is, Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time, higher than Marvel, higher than Star Wars, so there is absolutely no excuse for this crap! Game Freak doesn't care about what they're doing because they know they'll make money either way (hell, Scarlet and Violet sold as much as Elden Ring!), and things would be much better for both the fans and the workers if they stopped, but apparently it's not enough that they're already the highest-grossing media franchise, they just need to squeeze out every last penny.

But seriously, there is so much wrong with this. Even if Game Freak stopped making Pokémon games, they would still make an insane amount of money from merchandise as long as we're alive, as that's where the vast majority of the money comes from
GameFreaks doesn't make the merchandise.
That one goes to Pokemon Company.

I think you may be not aware that the games are the only thing GameFreaks makes and gets money from, everything else is TPCI and Nintendo.

GameFreaks doesn't make the merchandise.
That one goes to Pokemon Company.

I think you may be not aware that the games are the only thing GameFreaks makes and gets money from, everything else is TPCI and Nintendo.
Is that really the case though? Wouldn’t the directors like Masuda, Ohmori, and Takao Unno also get some of the money, especially since the former works at TPC now,

So how's the taste of boot?

But seriously, there is so much wrong with this. Even if Game Freak stopped making Pokémon games, they would still make an insane amount of money from merchandise as long as we're alive, as that's where the vast majority of the money comes from. Charizard, Pikachu, and Eevee sell well enough, there's no need for new Pokémon every three years. All the games clearly reuse a lot of code, so no they don't have to code "1000+ Pokémon" every single time. Also, "best graphics feasable for the time"? Don't make me laugh. Also, that's a big strawman of people who don't like Dexit, it's easy to make it sound silly by focusing on one Pokémon, but when hundreds are missing it's easy to see why people are upset, especially when features such as graphics, online play, etc. are not improved nearly enough to compensate. You can appeal to the poor Japanese workers all you want, but by shutting down all criticism, you are defending this system. Scarlet and Violet is a mess that is so buggy that Sonic Boom laughs at it, has online play that would have been seen as lackluster in the 2000s, has less content than the Gen V games, and graphically looks like it could have been on the PS2. And the thing is, Pokémon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time, higher than Marvel, higher than Star Wars, so there is absolutely no excuse for this crap! Game Freak doesn't care about what they're doing because they know they'll make money either way (hell, Scarlet and Violet sold as much as Elden Ring!), and things would be much better for both the fans and the workers if they stopped, but apparently it's not enough that they're already the highest-grossing media franchise, they just need to squeeze out every last penny.
just, wow. i have no words.

Is that really the case though? Wouldn’t the directors like Masuda, Ohmori, and Takao Unno also get some of the money, especially since the former works at TPC now,
So a quick perusal of the Wikipedia page lists TPC as a joint investment between the Companies of GF, Nintendo, and Creatures (as opposed to just individuals within those companies), so my guess is that Gamefreak does majority work on the games and there are some terms in place about how revenue from the various branches of the franchise are distributed in turn.

Of note is that apparently Nintendo specifically handles international publishing of the Console Pokemon titles (and the Console version of multi-plat releases like Pokemon Unite) compared to TPC in Japan in particular (not sure if this remains true for SV but was true as recently as Unite in 2021). With little basis beyond that, my interpretation would be that GF gets a larger "cut" of sales of the game among the Japanese audience due to having a (larger) stake in the publishing entity there compared to abroad, which by extension would mean they're more concerned with Japanese feedback about the products in particular unless prodded on it by shareholders/the other companies.

I really don't think that Scarlet and Violet were released in as bad of shape as everyone says they were. It might just be me, but I've had multiple playthroughs of both games and there have been little to no noticeable bugs, glitches, or anything of the like. Some of the famous examples just seem a bit... exaggerated?

Also an honorary mention to an opinion that isn't so uncommon. THERE ARE SO MANY STORY CUTSCENES! Seriously, if you watched the WR Pokemon Scarlet Any% runs, you see that the runner has a 40 MINUTE gap between the game starting and when the runner is finally set free to go catch Flamigo. Sure, a bit of story is nice, but why is there so much??? It's honestly just too much. I don't want to mash "A" for any longer than like a minute.

I really don't think that Scarlet and Violet were released in as bad of shape as everyone says they were. It might just be me, but I've had multiple playthroughs of both games and there have been little to no noticeable bugs, glitches, or anything of the like. Some of the famous examples just seem a bit... exaggerated?

Also an honorary mention to an opinion that isn't so uncommon. THERE ARE SO MANY STORY CUTSCENES! Seriously, if you watched the WR Pokemon Scarlet Any% runs, you see that the runner has a 40 MINUTE gap between the game starting and when the runner is finally set free to go catch Flamigo. Sure, a bit of story is nice, but why is there so much??? It's honestly just too much. I don't want to mash "A" for any longer than like a minute.
Someone has never played a final fantasy or persona game before :wo:
As someone who has played several Final Fantasy games (and thinks Persona is prone to overdoing this at times), I think the issue is less the amount of story cutscenes for me than their density at the beginning.

You have the near hour long intro with meeting Nemona, the Ride Dragon, enrolling in the school, and finally starting the treasure hunt, and then after that you get maybe a 2 minute cutscene every 25-30 minutes on the objectives, many of which are fairly "templated" in several parts (Penny showing up after a Star Base, Arven's sit down to make a sandwich, etc). The end game in Area Zero goes back to a more frequent but still fairly tame pace for cutscenes now that you're back to a controlled/linear progression, and I think the intro would have done well to streamline things a bit more to that kind of rate, like maybe starting off the individual routes with their respective tutorial battles (Nemona's first use of Terastalization with the Pawmi outside Mesagoza), Arven giving you Koraidon/Miraidon's Pokeball, and Penny being "recruited" by Team Star) instead of placing them all before they open the world up to you.

Pokemon fans when the JRPG is a JRPG

As someone who has played several Final Fantasy games (and thinks Persona is prone to overdoing this at times), I think the issue is less the amount of story cutscenes for me than their density at the beginning.

You have the near hour long intro with meeting Nemona, the Ride Dragon, enrolling in the school, and finally starting the treasure hunt, and then after that you get maybe a 2 minute cutscene every 25-30 minutes on the objectives, many of which are fairly "templated" in several parts (Penny showing up after a Star Base, Arven's sit down to make a sandwich, etc). The end game in Area Zero goes back to a more frequent but still fairly tame pace for cutscenes now that you're back to a controlled/linear progression, and I think the intro would have done well to streamline things a bit more to that kind of rate, like maybe starting off the individual routes with their respective tutorial battles (Nemona's first use of Terastalization with the Pawmi outside Mesagoza), Arven giving you Koraidon/Miraidon's Pokeball, and Penny being "recruited" by Team Star) instead of placing them all before they open the world up to you.
To be honest, I was kinda memeing on that, but as far as speedruns go, we've been memeing in long time how in some of the older rpgs like P3, the run beats the tutorial boss after over a hour and half.

I don't think that "1 hour until the starter" is a huge deal, what I still don't like is that they *still* don't let you skip cutscenes or similar things. Which hurts even more due to lack of voice acting (hurted much more in L.A imo). Most games by now either have cutscene skips, fast forward, or "press here to skip the tutorial".
Pokemon games could really use starting to do these...

Then again, they still don't want you to have multiple saves, I guess they don't even consider the fact someone may want to "reset and replay the game" as a thing.

someone hasnt played the alola games

Please bear in mind that this is not only the first time I've been on here for at least a year, but that Violet version is my new first (Pokemon) game since Ultra Moon.

Don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but while Mints are nice and all, I wish that they kept the out-of-battle Synchronize ability as a secondary method to obtain the preferred nature. Ever since at least as early as Sun/Moon, I'd start farming for Synchronizers right away. It was kind of part of my way of settling into a new region.

And now that practice has been rendered moot, and I have to wait until I start finding these Mints instead.

And now that practice has been rendered moot, and I have to wait until I start finding these Mints instead.
You can buy them wholesale in the game. No need to hope for finding the one you need on the overworld or grinding for BP like in Sword and Shield.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I love that too, its really a good step forward to making Pokemon more accessible as an Esport, (and facility type battles if they return in the DLC)

I just found another thing that I liked that S/V has gotten rid of: breeding egg moves onto hatchlings.

I just found this out after transferring some hatchlings from Ultra Moon.

I'm sure that most of these moves can be replaced with TMs and leveling up in due time. But one of the most fun parts of breeding was choosing four moves, and breeding them on, and made Pokemon that would give otherwise useful a purpose. It also made receiving Wonder Trades all the more fun, and I imagine that many new players enjoyed the breeding spitbacks I randomly unleashed on the Wonder Trade network.
Sure, it made the hatchlings even more ridiculously powerful, but that too was part of the fun of raising them! I wish that they kept the egg moves, even if only for older Pokemon, as a legacy to Gen II. I loved how Gen 5 made stacking egg moves easier, and I used the hell out of that starting in Gen 6!

I will mourn those days, perhaps even more than the days of being able to transfer whatever Pokemon you like to every new game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)