Updated OU Monotype Flying! RMT!

Hey guys, i just made this team yesterday, it is a Mono Flying team. I basically made it really quick to have so i could play in a small monotype tourney on showdown. So far I am 5-0 in monotype battles, but of course most of that is match ups. There isn't a lot of reasoning behind the team choices other than i like the individual pokemon, and are some of the best Flying types i could think of. That said, i would love any and all feedback about what you think could fit better, or just be tinkered with. I am not the strongest team builder, but i love to battle, so i am always looking for help. Thanks!

Platinum_Gyaradosu_Sprite.png
Gyarados @ Leftovers
Trait: intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
I am not sure if I will lead with gyarados, even though he’s first position, it may vary; though, I like the ability to set up a sub first turn and be immediately dangerous .This is one of my physical sweeper, a sub DD Gyarados. Intimidate is chosen instead of moxie to force some switches where I can set up subtitutes and then get a DD. Moves selected are STABs, although bounce is not a really good option, what is better there? Not much IMO. Adamant nature is preferred since attack boost > speed, especially when few opponents already get paralyzed. It’s also usable as one of my team member that not weak against ice.

Honchkrow.png

Honchkrow (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Superpower
- Pursuit
Never used one of these before, but i've seen it in action and think it is crazy powerful for a UU mon. Chose scarf because it’s not fast, but hits so hard and when it outspeeds it can run through teams late game for a sweep win. Sucker punch for the surprise kills, brave bird is incredibly powerful stab. Superpower for good coverage, and pursuit just in case, though I think u-turn might be good on that slot, if he can learn u-turn. The EV spread is just the suggested smogon set up.

468.png

Togekiss (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Nasty Plot
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
Love this togekiss set, it's EV spread makes it so bulky and can set up on about anything. Just a single nasty plot and it's ready to wreak havok, and can be super useful for getting that T-wave off. which will also help other guys set up too. Air slash is the obvious stab. And roost to keep him healthy for a long time. It helps even more with the bulk because this thing is an absolute tank that no one thinks about.

645-therian.png

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 20 HP / 234 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
It's always good to have a couple intimidators right? having two makes it really fun to spam switch and get their attack really low. Also Landorus replaces Gliscor as Ground/Flying type in my team, as well as RP sweeper I know theres a lot of set up guys on my team, i've just never really run this before. Not really sure about ths item. i mean he's super powerful, but if he takes a hit, his sweep potential is lowered significantly because of the Life Orb. would Leftovers be better? I Chose RP and SD because if I can get the chance, it’ll be game over. EQ is the clear stab, and stone edge is great and powerful. Hate the accuracy, but no other real option for that slot. I know the EVs are a bit weird, just felt like experimenting to give it a bit extra health because it’s going to boost anyhow. Not sure if I should switch more to defenses or health? Help needed there.

skarm gif.jpeg

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 160 HP / 192 Def / 96 SDef / 60 Spd
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
Skarmory is my hazard setter (no spikes though ) as well as my physical wall. Whirlwind is chosen over spikes because I need to force switches of subtitutes/setting up pokemon which often hard to deal by my other pokemon. Brave bird is used to hit some opponents, especially relatively frail fighting types such as heracross/breloom that 4x weak.
The EV spread seems need improvement, but I'm not sure what EV spread to be used (max HP/max sp def? or full HP/def?).

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
This guy is my special attacker with a lot of speed from that scarf. Usually I'll try to come in electric attacks then start spam any attack which will not be resisted by my opponents. Chose hp ice because it’s the best HP option for his coverage. Volt switch to get a quick attack off and let something else take the hit, T-bolt is the best stab without risking my accuracy. And focus blast for coverage. Not sure if I want to keep this guy or switch it for Tornadus. Your thoughts welcome on that.

Sorry no pic for Thundurus T. my computer wouldn't upload it. You guys know what he looks like though c:

Attachments

Hi,stephenroh!

That is a pretty cool mono flying team. But I have a few suggestions.

1)I would suggest you replace Honchkrow with Scarf MoxieMence,since being locked into Sucker Punch kinda makes Honch a bit of setup fodder and MoxieMence does Honchkrow's job a lot better since its faster.

2)Two Scarfers isn't really a very good idea,if you plan on taking the first suggestion in changing Honchkrow to MoxieMence I recommend you make Thundurus an Agility set with Life Orb so you can sweep complete teams unprepared.

3)I would suggest you change Togekiss to a ParaShuffle Dragonite to do Togekiss' job just a lot better and you have Multiscale to take advantage of it.

That's pretty much all,hope I helped :D

Sets ;)

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait:Moxie
EVs:252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spd
Naive Nature
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Aqua Tail

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait:Multiscale
Evs 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
Careful Nature
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Dragon Tail

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
Trait:Volt Absorb
EVs 252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 SDef
IVs:0 Atk
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot/Focus Blast

Hope you find this suggestions thought-provoking. :D

Hi,stephenroh!

That is a pretty cool mono flying team. But I have a few suggestions.

1)I would suggest you replace Honchkrow with Scarf MoxieMence,since being locked into Sucker Punch kinda makes Honch a bit of setup fodder and MoxieMence does Honchkrow's job a lot better since its faster.

2)Two Scarfers isn't really a very good idea,if you plan on taking the first suggestion in changing Honchkrow to MoxieMence I recommend you make Thundurus an Agility set with Life Orb so you can sweep complete teams unprepared.

3)I would suggest you change Togekiss to a ParaShuffle Dragonite to do Togekiss' job just a lot better and you have Multiscale to take advantage of it.

That's pretty much all,hope I helped :D

Sets ;)

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Trait:Moxie
EVs:252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spd
Naive Nature
-Dragon Claw/Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Aqua Tail

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Trait:Multiscale
Evs 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def
Careful Nature
-Substitute
-Thunder Wave
-Roost
-Dragon Tail

Thundurus-T @ Life Orb
Trait:Volt Absorb
EVs 252 SAtk/252 Spd/4 SDef
IVs:0 Atk
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot/Focus Blast

Hope you find this suggestions thought-provoking. :D
Well, i have thought a lot about switching to moxie mence. That will probably happen, but sucker punch can be good for late game. I have a hard time deciding. I am going to keep the togekiss because it is one of my favorite pokemon, and it's special bulk is good enough, it has never been a problem on my team, really only a saving (serene) grace. see what i did there? and as far as thundurus, i love the agility set, but being able to surprise other fast pokemon on the switch without having to set up is nice. i'm worried i wouldn't be able to get that first turn agility without losing too much. will still test it out though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)