ORAS UU UU Hyper Offence Team!! (Peaked No.2 @ 1656 Elo)

*Hey guys and girls!! Just before you read I'm probably going to switch Entei > Honchkrow but I don't have the time right now to write my changes!!!*

Hello, my name is Levinn, but you probably know me by my alt, Bryn the Faglord. About a month or 2 ago I posted my HO team which I specifically built for reaching the COIL requisite for the Serperior suspect. I was going to retire the team but I realised that the team held some solid potential (and fun :p), so I played around with it and after about 100-150 battles, the team I am about to present to the community came to be. I'm looking for suggestions on how to basically perfect the team as I feel that despite the rank, it's definitely not there yet. Feel free to suggest any change, whether it be a move, set or even a mon!! So without further ado, here's the team building process and most importantly, the team!!

The Team

During the time I was building the team, Heracross and Salamence had dropped from OU and EVERYONE had them on their team and I wanted to utilise that to my advantage. This was when the idea of building around Slurpuff hit me as I theorized that there would be a plethora of set-up opportunities for this monster.

Upon deciding to use Slurpuff, Mega Absol immediately came to mind as an excellent partner. Slurpuff and Absol complement each other very well as Slurpuff can set up on mons such as Florges and Chesnaught which Absol cannot break.

I soon noticed that the two has some major trouble with steel types such as Forretress and Mega Agron. Lucario was PERFECT for the next slot as it can beat Aggron and set up on Forretress, while having the likes of Chesnaught removed benefits it.

Now this next slot went through a LOT of auditions before the job going to Honchkrow. Originally this position had a Porygon-Z as I wanted an uncommon special attacker, then SD Infernape because I wanted to try a all physical approach, then Heliolisk because Suicune was a pain. Honchkrow is mainly a niche mon on this team as I run Heat Wave to catch steels off guard and pursuit to weaken Doublade.

Azelf was a natural fit onto this team as I needed a Stealth Rocker and this team greatly appreciates screens, especially Slurpuff.

Now this team was looking really weak to set-up sweepers and Mega Aerodactly. Scarfed Salamence was something that NEVER appealed to me but oh was I surprised by how much work this monster put in. This thing can easily snowball its way to victory late game thanks to Moxie and is generally a powerhouse, especially with an adamant nature.

The Sets

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion​

The unsung hero of this team. Azelf has an amazing speed tier and coupled with its EV investment, can usually set up the appropriate screen (depending on the opposing lead and team), set up rocks and then depending on the situation, either set up the last screen or BOOM!!! The rest of the EVs’ are put into HP as Azelfs main role is to set up as much as possible and then explode to gain momentum. 4 Sp. Def EVs’ to make sure Porygons don’t get a Sp. Atk raise. I found that keeping Azelf, even at the brink of death is extremely useful as you may find the opportunity late game to set up that last ditch screens, which has saved some games.

Slurpuff (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Frustration
- Drain Punch​

The MVP of this team most of the time and is a MONSTER against unprepared teams. With a Jolly nature, Unburden, and the given speed EVs', Slurpuff out speeds the fastest scarfers in UU namely Mienshao and other base 108s’. Although its viable movepool is rather shallow, these 3 moves complement each other well and are often sufficient in sweeping teams. Play Rough is a given, a strong STAB move with a somewhat reliable accuracy. Frustration is used over Return for Dittos’ and hits Pokemon such as Tentacruel that would otherwise resist my STAB (for those who aren't familiar, the default happiness is set to 255, so a Ditto that copies my Slurpuff will have a max happiness Frustration). Frustration is also nice for its 100% accuracy, which alleviates any accuracy risks. Drain Punch is a very useful move, especially when screens are up as it significantly increases the longevity and allows Slurpuff to not lose against priority spam. Banded Entei is probably the strongest priority user in the metagame at this current time, however, even after extremespeed-ing Slurpuff can KO and recover its lost health with drain punch (needs SR).

Absol (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough​

As stated previously, Mega-Absol is an excellent partner to Slurpuff and the duo is capable of dismantling the current metagame quite effectively. The first 3 moves (and the EV spread) are self explanatory, and is often the staple on most, if not all Absol sets in UU. I've tried a few moves for the last slot including Super Power, Pursuit and Fire Blast, but I settled for Play Rough as I felt that it was an all rounded option. More often than not, I use Absol to break walls early game to assist in Slurpuff sweeping late game. Again, 4 Sp. Def EVs' for Porygons.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave​

Nasty Plot Lucario is a MONSTER!!!! Although it's catching less people off guard now, it still breaks balance and bulky play styles very effectively. I use modest for the sheer power, dual stab for sheer power (and the surprisingly decent coverage) and Vacuum Wave for priority. Although this doesn't sweep quite like the SD set, special Luke is excellent as this team does somewhat struggle against well constructed balance and other bulkier play styles. Like Mega Absol I find Luke going in early/mid game to smash walls and pave the way for Slurpuff and Salamence.

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Heat Wave​

The second unsung hero of this team. Honchkrow has a niche role on my team. For one, I use Honchkrow to bait in steel types, mainly Aggron and weaken/kill them with Heat Wave. Second, I use it to Pursuit fleeing choice locked Chandelure (walls Lucario) and Doublade if my opponent has seen Heat Wave. The EV's and other moves are pretty standard and lonely nature as I run Heat Wave. Apart from the aforementioned roles I just mindlessly spam Brave Bird for its amazing coverage with Heat Wave and hope for kills/Moxie and watch Honchkrow kill itself from recoil..... TT-TT R.I.P TT-TT

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail​

The clean up sweeper for the team. I've played with several combination of moves but I found that the only moves I EVER clicked were the Dragon STABs' and Earthquake ONCE (quite literally). Basically the risk vs. reward is quite huge, as if I can Fire Blast an incoming Forretress or Iron Tail a Florges I'd have a great advantage. However, if I fail to predict correctly, I lose a ton of momentum and to be honest, it helps the opponent stall out my screens and wasn't really worth it. Adamant is AMAZING for this team and the extra damage output, coupled with the fact that I'm purposefully exposing my Salamence with the lack of speed makes wall breaking/sweeping much more efficient. I have been in many situations where the opposing scarfed Salamence or Hydreigon comes in to revenge my Mence, hoping to win the speed tie, but by me purposefully losing the tie I get a free (literally) Belly Drum with Slurpuff. Adamant also does 35.8 - 42.5% to Suicune, meaning that if it comes in as I Outrage, it either has to switch out or click Rest on the second hit or else it risks being KO'ed. A sleeping Suicune is AMAZING for my Slurpuff (and other members) as it becomes less of a check.

Notable Weaknesses
Double steel cores - A Forretress + Mega Aggron core in particular is extremely hard to break, especially because those cores tend to go with semi/hard stall.

Lack of speed - Salamence is the only mon on this team that has a base speed of above 100 (before Absol megas) so I have to rely on it to kill anything above 80 base speed and cannot be handled by priority. I try to mega evolve Absol ASAP just to try alleviate any pressure on Salamence, especially as it is choiced.

Well played balance teams - I found that a well constructed and well played balance team can give this team a bit of trouble (nowhere near as much as double steel) and I need to keep certain mons healthy to avoid getting walled (eg, Absol for Cresselia).

Priority spam - Priority spam gives HO trouble in general and this is no exception. Mons that use priority above +1 is a nuisance. The way I play around it is to set up screens and utilising Drain Punch on Slurpuff.

Threats
- Capable of stopping Slurpuff from sweeping if it's carrying Gyro Ball. Wear it down with Absol and Lucario or kill it with Honchkrow.

- This is probably the biggest threat to my team. Capable of walling 4/6 of my team and completely shutting down my win conditions. The only way of playing around this is to lure Aggron in and chip away at it, which is quite difficult as you get higher up on the ladder. I play my Lucario very carefully and try to preserve it just to get at least 1 nuke off on Aggron before dying.

(Scarfed) - Right off the bat, I'm forced to lead with either Salamence or Absol (depending on whichever's less useful) as this team relies on screens to set up, so I need to keep Azelf. If I lead with Absol, I have to click Sucker Punch to get around 66~78% damage and watch my Absol die turn 1 (TT_TT).

- This thing is becoming more common now and it does an absolute number to my team. No member can OHKO and Extremespeed ruins my sweeps. Get SR down as soon as possible to pressure the Entei and any chip damage is crucial as it puts it range for a KO. If Entei is around 50% health and locked into Sacred Fire (I know it sounds situational) you can Pursuit trap with Honchkrow.

- The infamous offence/HO killer. Honestly I have to keep my priority user and my Slurpuff alive or else this thing will decimate my entire team.

- This mon is capable of living any hit and retaliating back with a strong hit of its own. It can also stop Slurpuff and Salamence with relative ease. The way to beat Doublade is to Knock Off the Eviolite as early as possible and then Pursuit/Heat Wave with Honchkrow.

- This thing is more annoying than a threat, but potential burns are deadly and it can take a hit from Slurpuff (even after a BD) and my other mons. The only way to get around this is to pressure with SR and force it to Rest.

- Slowking is becoming more popular and it's understandable why. Slowking is naturally bulky and with Regenerator, it can wall a significant portion of my team. Again SR is crucial and keeping Absol is a necessity.

- Mega Aerodactyl is fast and can revenge any member of my team given the right move sets. Keep Salamence healthy and revenge with Outrage (you will need prior damage though).

- Cresselia is a MASSIVE pain if it's carrying T-Wave. The only mon that can reliably take it on is Absol and even then it doesn't like Moonblasts. Knock Off is crucial in wearing this down and Slurpuff may have to be sacrificed for the greater good, eg, Slurpuff BD, Cress comes in for the revenge T-Wave and you 2HKO.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-221156738 - A great example of how Cresselia can be a massive pain to deal with. Thankfully this one was sub CM and didn't carry T-Wave.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-221013568 - A game showcasing how this team is played. I messed up with Honchkrow but I came back with the pressure the screens had, forcing my opponent to sack multiple mons. This is also a prime example of how Azelf doesn't have to always be the lead and suicide turn 4.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-220992215 - Honchkrow doing its job (although I misplayed against Aero). With Suicune weakened, I was waiting for the opportunity to sack a mon against Florges as that would give me a free BD with Slurpuff and sweep/severely dent his team. I misplay with Slurpuff, as the switch out from Florges was obvious I should have clicked Drain Punch.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-220073622 - Scarf Mence is strong here. Also had his Flygon gone for a dragon move, I would've swept with Slurpuff (the Lonely nature coming through).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-220464337 - Shout outs to this guy.

And that's the team!! Feel free to take it, test it, see how it goes and comment on suggestions!!

Azelf @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Slurpuff (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Happiness: 0
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Frustration
- Drain Punch

Absol (F) @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Heat Wave

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Iron Tail​

Last edited:

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Sup man this seems like a really cool Hyper offense team and I looked at it and thought it was a little odd but you obviously make it work and you beat some really good players in those replays. The only real suggestion I can make is that maybe you could try iron tail over fire blast on mence as scarf mence is usually all physical and you can hit florges on the switch but just a suggestion none the less, everything else seems to be working for you soI don't see a point in changing much else. Really cool team

Hey OG_Wanka, thanks for the suggestion!!! You're right, Iron Tail is probably the superior option and even if it's not I might as well put it there because I never click Fire Blast anyways lol. Even if Florges is set up for my Slurpuff there have been times where I wished I could just get rid of Florges just for the sake of it.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Really solid team. I was also going to suggest Iron Tail over Fire blast on Mence, you need a way to deal with Florges/Aroma/Slurpuff. Other then that, I really like this team while it has many weaknesses, you at least acknowledge it and explain how you deal with them. Good work here.

Changed Iron Tail > Fire Blast on Mence, changed it to adamant nature and moved the 4 sp.atk EVs into sp.def!!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I'm on mobile and I'll edit his post later, just gonna point out some weaknesses to remind myself what to rate. Ik it's hyper offense so being weak to things isn't necessarily an issue, but these could be handled a little better

Scarf fire types reliant on Mence and screens, mega Sharpedo reliant on lucario, over reliance on priority because slow, nidoqueen

Changed Iron Tail > Fire Blast on Mence, changed it to adamant nature and moved the 4 sp.atk EVs into sp.def!!
Honestly i would keep it as jolly. Outspeeding scarf hydreigon as well as speed tying with other scarf mence, as well as ddmence is huge. a 50/50 is better than losing entirely. I guess you have slurpuff to capitalize on these pokemon but even still. I would also recommend adding a fairy resist. I understand this is hyper offense but having to basically sack a pokemon to a fairy type every time you have an unfavorable match up sucks. Also Fire Blast is still an option you might want to keep on mence. Hitting a forrey switchin will ohko it, as well as denting maggron which has no recovery, where as a florges can just pivot out and potentially wish up later on.
Also cool team n_n

uu iz da shizzle, I kinda like the raw power of adamant...... its VERY noticeable. As for the fairy resist, Ive been thinking about trying Entei > Honchkrow as it would help me break steels and I do sometimes wish that I had a fairy resist on this team. Also having more speed and reliable priority is quite appealing (and I have Absol as a dark type anyways).

EDIT: I played a few games with Entei > Honchkrow and its working out really well. As was suggested having a fairy resist is REAL nice. Having the extra bulk (i know its HO but having some bulk is nice) is also something Im beginning to like because previously my team just felt like Azelf + 5 glass cannons.

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
uu iz da shizzle, I kinda like the raw power of adamant...... its VERY noticeable. As for the fairy resist, Ive been thinking about trying Entei > Honchkrow as it would help me break steels and I do sometimes wish that I had a fairy resist on this team. Also having more speed and reliable priority is quite appealing (and I have Absol as a dark type anyways).

EDIT: I played a few games with Entei > Honchkrow and its working out really well. As was suggested having a fairy resist is REAL nice. Having the extra bulk (i know its HO but having some bulk is nice) is also something Im beginning to like because previously my team just felt like Azelf + 5 glass cannons.
Entei is somewhat of a staple in UU HO. While he's not always NEEDED for an HO team to do well, he's never really a bad addition to an HO team. What set are you using on Entei?

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
The Choice band sets are pretty popular, but I've seen some people run some more flexible sets. Some people throwing on Roar, or Iron head. Sometimes even Toxic. I'm not suggesting you add those moves/sets, since Banded is going to fit your team very nice, but It's always nice to be aware of your options and there's never harm in considering the variables. IE " How would Toxic/Roar Entei help my HO team? " In your case it probably wouldn't since you already have Magic Bounce to deal with Hazards/Status and I don't think you care to much about mons setting up on you since you're running slurpuff and Priority spam. I'm the type of person who looks at more unique sets before slapping on the Go to recommended sets, and like I said I'm not suggesting you run Toxic/Roar on your banded Entei, but there's no harm in bringing up the sets existence. Who knows, you might decide to run it on another team in the future? Anyways, Banded Entei is great.

: EDIT :

Which Banded set are you running exactly? Flare Blitz Espeed, or the Bulldoze one?

Lucipurrr yeah I always try to look at all the possible options and try to not let any biases/favoritism get in the way of my choices. I have heard of Toxic, Roar and even HP Grass but I think the way to go is 2 fire stabs, Espeed and coverage (I use Edge atm) for HO. I find Sacred Fire to be great for pressuring Suicune despite the resist so I don't really feel the need for Toxic.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Lucipurrr yeah I always try to look at all the possible options and try to not let any biases/favoritism get in the way of my choices. I have heard of Toxic, Roar and even HP Grass but I think the way to go is 2 fire stabs, Espeed and coverage (I use Edge atm) for HO. I find Sacred Fire to be great for pressuring Suicune despite the resist so I don't really feel the need for Toxic.
I have NEVER heard of HP Grass Entei....that's something I really want to look into. But yeah, Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire, E Speed, and Stone Edge is the normal Banded set from what I understand. Some people do Bulldoze which I think is a little odd since it doesn't cover that much, but to eat his own. I just don't see the benefits off Bulldoze>Stone Edge.

Hey Levinn, you battled me on the ladder. I'm the guy who had the doublade. Right now I agree with the Jolly Scarfmence suggestion, because Moxie does work on its own. I'll comment more later on, but I really like the offensive nature of the team. Congrats on peak.

Edit: HP Grass was standard for Entei back in BW and it does pretty well in the meta.

Lucipurrr yeah I never got Bulldoze > Stone Edge. Its also nice to have rock coverage on my team anyways.

Trade lol I remember you from the ladder. Ill test jolly Mence as soon as Im fully finished with my Honchkrow > Entei test but since Entei can pressure (lol) Suicune with Sacred Fire + rocks + burn I might not NEED the extra power to force the Rest (thats where the power was most notable). And jolly Mence still revenges what I need it to (Pidgeot, Aero, etc) provided rocks are up.

Btw whats the deal with HP Grass Entei? The only thing it hits I can think of off the top of my head is Pert but regular banded does less than half so youd need some serious investment + LO to do some serious damage, esp. cause Entei is locked into adamant.

Thanks for the suggestion everyone!!

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If mence isn't jolly it's another opportunity for sharpedo to come in, protect once, and tear through your team when it's weakened, jolly would help a lot with checking sharpedo. Anyway, I never found a great solution to your fire weakness. Entei helps but you're still weaker to fire types than you'd ideally be in UU, but since it's HO that isn't devastating. Cool team man

Megazard Z Oh damn Ive never even thought about Sharpedo.... maybe jolly is the best option to go. As far as fire types go there arent many offensive switch ins. The ones i can think of off the top of my head are like Tyrantrum and... thats it really. Gatr isnt really a switch in and neither are offensive fire types.

Hi, that's a great hyper offense team, no wonder you peaked 2. So far only extreme stall teams with vaporeon and rhyperior or like u said Mega aggron could be a problem. I'm a little unsure about nasty plot lucario, try experimenting with other nasty plotters like porygonz with adaptability. Just a thought, its just that the nidos can kill it fairly easily.

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ah nice SlurSol core [: glad someone else can appreciate it, and I'm also in favor of Entei since it checks Steels and Fairies simultaneously without risking one of your win cons (Lucario)

Mega NO Body I have tried Porygon-Z (actually that was in my original line up in place of Luke) but I prefer NP Luke as I find its ability to break steels (mega Aggron, Forre, Emp) to be much more suited to my team overall.

Darkerones Yeah Entei is now a permanent member, just dont have time to fix the rmt lol. Btw cool channel ^^

Juridisch advies gg man. He had no chance after u belly drummed. Btw u should try Entei w. choice band, max speed & atk I know its not on the importable but its a permanent change Ive been meaning to implement on the rmt but never got around to.

Hi Levinn have you considered putting dark pulse on luc it can take out cress and even doublade but if you do that then I'll recommend jolly nature since you won't have vacuum wave.

Mega NO Body Dark Pulse is one of the first changes I considered but I feel that Entei deals with Doublade well and Cress to good extent. Btw I think u meant timid nature not jolly because jolly drops your special attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)