UU Player of the Week #19: Sam

Can you list 6 Pokémon that, at least 1 of them are mandatory in a bulky offense team?
Uh i don't think that a list like that exists, but ill try my best. Coballion, doublade, whimsi, celebi, aero, empoleon
What's your favorite music and why?
rap and i just like it idk lol
What do you think about Stall nowadays? Is Semi Stall better than Stall actually?
at high level i think stall is probably the weakest play style because of how powerful the meta has become with so many strong breakers and cores so yes i do think semi stall is better than stall
how do you go about building
just like any other tier, i pick a core or mon and a playstyle first and then go about picking mons that best help the core function efficiently. sorry this was such a generic response lol the whole process in my head is rather long and changes on a team to team basis so there wouldnt be a one answer fits all

Reactions: Ark
Hairy Toenail? More like Hairy 12-0-nail. Amirite?

Sun or Moon? Or are you not excited for an additional 100+ threats you'll need to worry about?

Sun or Moon? Or are you not excited for an additional 100+ threats you'll need to worry about?
Honestly have not been keeping up too much with the new gen info but i'm definitely excited to play in game, gonna be interesting to see what new things they have for us
Any Pokémon you find Overrated? Any Pokémon you find Underrated?
I think i answered these questions previously but i think forretress is overrated because of it trying to do too much and not really excelling at any of it. I find Arcanine and Rose to be quite underrated

Reactions: Ark

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey, guys. I've got another great interview for you this week! I'll leave it below, but you can also find it in the OP.

teal6

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
surely, i'm 24 years old and work as an associate in a VC firm focused on buying natural resource companies worldwide, having moved there recently after performing managerial work for a publications company co-owned by the principle of a small hedge fund i worked at where a mutual board member noticed me and offered me the opportunity. outside of mons im a huge soccer fan, love Liverpool FC and follow boxing quite closely. i play both sports myself and am looking to get back into boxing regularly enough to maybe start doing amateur fights once i move down to sydney australia for work.

Most known for?
in UU, probably my performance in UU open / grand slam + SPL which were back to back but i think throughout the tournament community more generally probably overall performance as i think i've done alright for myself in a few other tiers and metagames. but i think i am thought of as a UU player first and foremost most of the time right now

Favorite Pokemon?
swampert

Most Used Pokemon?
salamence. i run the same set like 99% of the time i use it and i genuinely think its the best mon in the tier, suits my playstyle absolutely perfectly. after that, probably swampert for its glue-like nature.

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
oh well i dont really remember what brought me over back in 2007, but i stayed for like 1 month and then quit for like 8 years. after that, i was in my last year of college and my roommate was playing XY and told me to buy a copy. i didn't feel like getting a DS so i looked up mons online and saw that showdown existed and just sortve went from there, started joining tours after watching joeys youtube channel for a little bit.

What is your favorite playstyle?
hyper offense by far. i love how tense many of the turns are for both sides when using/facing an HO team, and when you're "in the zone" having a team that can either win a game or lose a game in the span of a turn is best when you play more by emotion than by logic.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
part of the reason im not a huge fan of current UU (though zam being gone is good) is that i think bulky with a random HO threat is the best playstyle, legitimately. stacking things like cress + cele + megapert then throwing on one of the many many offensive threats (you dont usually even need to think about synergy) is fine, because you are essentially playing a pre-game gamble that your opponent can't handle it.

i think hard stall is relatively weak rn because it's so so difficult to cover all the various threats. only PIF really has made teams that i think are comfortable against most things you will realistically face, and also give you opportunities to outplay if necessary.

Do you think any Pokemon in particular needs to be suspected right now?
hydreigon and salamence, sadly.

You've had a very impressive run in both UU Open and SPL! Is there anything that you can tell newer players about preparing for such tournaments?
well it is weird, i actually think less prep can go a long way. this is a thing a bunch of people disagree about, though. i have found that my teams are generally less effective when i'm specifically preparing for someone than when i bring something i like or think fits the way i want to play. you can see that in action in say my first SPL game - i built that team really specifically to counter things i know xMarth likes, but the team itself was kinda garbage. later on i made some teams that were precarious, stuff i wouldn't recommend other people use, but they worked because i knew internally exactly what i wanted to do with them.

i think more important than teambuilding and construction is mental state. the mode you go into a game with will determine how you perform more than having a slightly more sturdy mamoswine check, etc. when you are at low confidence you won't make the necessary moves to win a close game, and at higher levels i feel the skill variance isn't big enough that you will be 100% able to roll someone over.

Your unique posting style has garnered a lot of attention, and you've written some of the most-liked posts of the year, such as this one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...k-9-read-post-313.3566619/page-6#post-6704162. You also picked up three Smogon awards, including Best New Player and Nicest User. How do you keep up such a high posting quality?
ah well one thing i have found out recently is that people think i am being sarcastic far more often than i usually am. truthfully i would say something like 99% of my posts are completely and utterly sincere, i'm not really mocking people unless it's super obvious and even at that point i'm not really trying to hide that.

the way i post is a bit informed by somethingawful forums, where i posted for like 7 years. its a comedy board and the only way to not be hated by the community is to try and make jokes a lot otherwise it can be a bit brutal to try and "join in" with the community there. so i would say posts like the SPL one are a lot like the ones i'd make over on SA truthfully. the awards were nice to win but not all that meaningful n_n

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
there's a ton, and i hope i don't forget anyone:
my grand slam friends from last year who were the first ones who included me in a group on this site, before i really had much to offer
the vod bros who i spent a lot of hours playing tagpro with and probably degraded my mons ability more than anyone else
powc east team where i refused to play a game until like the last week and playoffs and just hung out with
cryonicles, the only SPL team i ever want to play for probably
and west which has included a lot of people i didn't know before but have treated me very well especially in a period when im underperforming

playing wise i look up to the following people the most: ojama, phil, alex, tesung, ciele and the guy i've probably taken the most cues from, sweepage

What made you want to take a break from ORAS and try out past gens?
i just really wanted a trophy and oras UU does not give you a ton of opportunities for that

another factor i think is i sort of felt like i had gone as far as i could in UU. i have a bad habit of dropping tours really close to the finish line, and realistically the only thing better i could do in official UU tournaments would literally be win UU open finals and go 9-0 in SPL, both are really huge goals and difficult to reach so i was content (but not satisfied) with one step short of both of those.

Do you plan on participating in the up and coming UU Open? Also, who do you think has a good shot at winning it this year?
i don't know if i'll participate, i'm moving in the summer and scheduling on australian time while mid-move and mid-buying-a-company is going to be pretty hard, i could obviously get my games done but i think i would underperform and i don't want to do that.

as for winning it, i'd put my money on one of the following: hogg, christo, omfuga

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?
Swampert @ Salac Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Substitute
- Endeavor
- Earth Power

Haxorus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Poison Jab
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Knock Off

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Iron Tail
- Earthquake

i can only really use like stupid teams at the moment. idk why. but the idea here is simple. haxorus lures whims so swampert can sub endeavor etc. torrent max spa hydros are sick. but its still pretty slow. the team needs pjab on hax + iron tail on absol because it has no fairy resist so you just have to actually attack whatever fairy is in front of you and typically sack. swampert can hopefully endeavor on sylv bc otherwise it sortve 6-0s well actually it doesn't you probably just lose two mons to it.

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, teal6! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

Last edited:
Mane for 35m has Klopp lost his mind?
Would you want to unban anything from BL to balance the tier or do you think banning things to BL is the better way to go?

When you use Suicide Lead Azelf over the SR + 3 Attacks Set?

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What is it about New Jersey that produces the best Pokemon players to ever do it?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your first ever Smogon post back in 2007?

What did you do with teals 1 through 5?

since you do some boxing i assume you work out. if so, whats your favorite muscle group to work out? (if not just ignore this one lol)

favorite lower tier besides uu?

do you actually agree with salamence being suspected, or do you think the likes of maybe mamo or hydreigon are more worthy?

biggest tip for getting known to get picked up in tours like spl?

also just wanted to say youre one of the players i look up to, love watching you play :toast:

Do you believe that Mamoswine is a potential candidate in being suspected, if that's the case then why do you think so?
hm, not really. mamoswine's ludicrously strong, but the key difference is how it fits into teams. a bit part of what i get annoyed w/ in suspect test discussions comes from people not recognizing that there is a team around the mon being suspected - in a vacuum, mence might not be broken but i think as a whole it definitely is. mamo on the other hand does not fit as comfortably on 90% of builds, which is also why despite being so strong, it's used relatively infrequently.

Mane for 35m has Klopp lost his mind?
Would you want to unban anything from BL to balance the tier or do you think banning things to BL is the better way to go?
you gotta trust in Klopp

i think for now banning things into BL is far better than unbanning things from BL

When you use Suicide Lead Azelf over the SR + 3 Attacks Set?
maero is the most overrated mon in the tier (tagging in Omfuga)

underrated, i'd say nape, mega sharpedo, absol and arcanine.

i don't use any azelf aside from the LO one w/ rocks, i think it's an amazing rocker even without the sash and i like my mons on HO to have versatility outside specific roles such as "suicide lead". so i think the explosion taunt SR one is not actually that good. besides, w/ LO even w/o NP, azelf RUNS OVER some of those half ass balance teams (think like pert, chesnaught kinda stuff).

What is it about New Jersey that produces the best Pokemon players to ever do it?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you with your first ever Smogon post back in 2007?

What did you do with teals 1 through 5?
theres something in the water bro

quite happy - slowpoke sex is a top 5 thread all time

i actually own the account "teal" but forgot the password just as a tidbit

since you do some boxing i assume you work out. if so, whats your favorite muscle group to work out? (if not just ignore this one lol)

favorite lower tier besides uu?

do you actually agree with salamence being suspected, or do you think the likes of maybe mamo or hydreigon are more worthy?

biggest tip for getting known to get picked up in tours like spl?

also just wanted to say youre one of the players i look up to, love watching you play :toast:
probably my legs, my dad was a semipro footballer player and could squat stupid amounts, and used to do this amazing leg split that i always thought was like ironman level of mental effort. i also played soccer my whole life so mine are pretty strong comparatively

hm i would have to say LC - i like that the BSTs are so close to one another which lets you run a huge amount of mons and you can make so many things work

yeah mence has to go and so does hydrei, mamos good but not unbearable

hm well as a new player it is really all about performance. SPL managers and assistant manager scout ludicrously, they know who is performing well in some of the "smaller" tiers (UU existing sort of at that inbetween stage of sizes from other low tiers to UU). it's hard as a lower tier player because you just don't get the same amount of chance to prove yourself so you really have to take your shot when it comes around - UU Open / Grand Slam is a huge chance for anyone that wants to get drafted, and can't really complain if you buster out r4 and don't get picked up. aside from that being able to get along w/ people is always good cuz team chats need good vibes.

that's really appreciated man, i hope to keep my performance level high going forward and giving good games n_n

How did you become so rich and successful? I realize your handsomeness is mostly down to genetics. :[

Also how is it your YouTube channel is so great and fun to watch?

Has your SPL manager ever referred to you as 'steal6' after going 8-1 last season?

Don't you agree Omfuga should be the POTW next week? He recently lead his UUPL team to victory!

Beer or mixed drinks?
lol but truthfully any career success i've had in my life has been down almost entirely to nepotism and good fortune

i hope it is! we will have to record together soon. i am making some amateur mistakes still but i think actually recording a live thing is a long way from my MS Paint -> Windows Live Movie Maker videos which i made for like 4 years

someone actually did in the draft lol but no val and vinc have not been so kind as of yet

YES MY GOOD FRIEND OMFUGA SHOULD BE NEXT POTW

vastly prefer beer, if i drink hard alcohol its always shots. i invented a tradition at my frat called the decade where you take the shittiest vodka in town (traveler's club, its rancid) and you gotta do a shot a minute for 10 minutes. shits a blast because you feel like death for a solid 15 minutes after but then you're just wild...

Last edited:

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor
Do you forgive me for my abcense of my UU matchup last week of UUPL?

Also do you think another Fortune Favors the Brave like team is possible in this meta?

Also am I your favorite underdog?

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i invented a tradition at my frat called the decade where you take the shittiest vodka in town (traveler's club, its rancid) and you gotta do a shot a minute for 10 minutes. shits a blast because you feel like death for a solid 15 minutes after but then you're just wild...
this is hilarious

also when will I win my first trophy hm..

GOAO

Banned deucer.
grats bro <3
fav football team?
fav mls team?
fav football player?
any predicts for UU open?
why do you have really good performances in some tours (spl, classics) and bad in others (wcop)?
were you pressured when playing wcop?

when are you posting uu open round 1?

Can you make me a god at Pokemon
UU open r1 will be posted upon receipt of the matchups. i cannot make them as i am participating in the Open.

i'd be glad to play game any time i am available and i hope they can help!

Do you forgive me for my abcense of my UU matchup last week of UUPL?

Also do you think another Fortune Favors the Brave like team is possible in this meta?

Also am I your favorite underdog?
well we were long out so yes lol

fortune favors the brave is, itself, really good right now actually. it struggles vs conk but otherwise is strong

i'm my own favorite underdog lol

this is hilarious

also when will I win my first trophy hm..
that is impossible to say

Who do you think are the up-and-coming UU players in the community?

You told me you would teach me RBY OU. When will this happen?

Were you hazed in your fraternity? And if you were, how?
i really like manipulative and think that he will perform well going forward. ik he is actively trying to think like, more cerebrally about the game and that's a mark of a great player.

we've played like 100 games! honestly i need to get back in the zone for RBY then i will

yeah there was definitely hazing. my class had a relatively hard process compared to some on either side of us (our process got much easier following my year). i guess its fine to talk about this too considering our chapter doesn't exist anymore lol. but the bulk of it was workouts, we would do these cardiovascular workouts in this big auditorium room we had for hours at a time.. toward the end we would do legit like 3.5-4 hours of just various bodyweight exercises over and over and over. there was a lot of drinking too but its hard to count that as hazing as it was fun. some more secret stuff that i probably shouldn't write out online directly but it was actually a mentally exhausting semester, even physically too.. after i crossed i came down with a 104 fever that didn't go away for about 6 days. some fun memories though from the time, like i had to rap "juicy" by biggie in front of a lecture hall, get a cheerleaders number in just my boxers, complete a swimming challenge in front of like 100 ppl at the school etc.

grats bro <3
fav football team?
fav mls team?
fav football player?
any predicts for UU open?
why do you have really good performances in some tours (spl, classics) and bad in others (wcop)?
were you pressured when playing wcop?
ty man
Liverpool FC of course
New York Red Bulls
Luis Suarez will always hold a special place in my heart
i think you will see late runs by non-UU mains who are picking up the tier solely for slam
it's hard to be 100% consistent, and in longer tournaments i tend to do a bit better because it can even out. like in classic i probably played 45-50 games throughout the tournament, whereas in WCOP i only played like 4. i had a rough go of things RNG wise as well, a realistic appraisal of how i played i think i should've ended 2-2 probably, but sometimes things just don't go your way. no use worrying about it too much, it's the same as in football - form is temporary, class is forever.
i didn't feel pressured, SPL got a lot of that out of the way for me and i think i made my best plays. i was getting annoyed at losing all the time but sometimes you just gotta wade through the bad efforts and come out the other side. i'll do better next year

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey! I'm back with another great interview for you guys. I'll leave it below, but you can also go ahead and find it in the OP. Enjoy!

Can you tell us a bit about yourself?
Sure, I'm a 17 year old and about to start my Senior year of high school. As a high school student, I usually have a good amount of free time. When I am not doing anything pokemon related, I usually go out with my friends, play basketball/soccer, work out at the gym(recently been getting back into it lol), watch sports(mainly basketball, and been getting more into soccer), and play chess. So yeah, nothing really too interesting haha. As for what I plan for after high school, I hope to study and major in finance at a university(if i get in :p). Oh, and I also have a Youtube channel that I just made recently: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcN_B5ymLmQqSOxhh9aYLJQ

Most known for?
I guess winning UUPL 3, having a good UU Open run, and playing for the Falcons in SPL

Favorite Pokemon?
Anime: Dragonite
In-game: Jynx

Most Used Pokemon?
Swampert

What brought you to Smogon and competitive Pokemon in general?
I wanted to get back into pokemon from when I played as a kid so I looked up how to play online as I did not want to buy a DS. I eventually came across Let's Plays on Youtube and found user BlameTruth. On his channel I saw him doing PS! lives and that basically got me into PS! and eventually smogon.

What is your favorite playstyle?
This is a pretty tough question for me. I can usually enjoy any playstyle as long as I like the feel of the team, but I think I consistently enjoy using Bulky Offense and Semi Stall/Stall. It really comes down to the team itself, though, rather than the style. As long as I feel confident and in control, I'm usually having fun.

Do you think any playstyle is blatantly dominant or weak in the metagame?
I think semi stall has gotten a lot worse for sure. A few months ago, semi stall really thrived in UU, but after all of the recent drops it has been hard to do consistently well with a semi stall build. Standard Bulky Offense is definitely the dominant playstyle currently. My favorite type of metagame is when all playstyles are useable, and I do not think that is the case currently

Do you think any Pokemon in particular needs to be suspected right now?
After the Salamence suspect is over, I really think Celebi and Hydreigon should be suspected. Nasty Plot Celebi is truly busted and has essentially no downside to using it. The only true counter is Leftovers SpDef Pursuit Escavalier, and that obvously can not fit on every team. Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl and Scarf Hydreigon are decent revenge killers, but neither OHKO at full HP. The former dies to +2 Psychic after SR and the latter dies to D Gleam. Even if you have decent NP Celebi answers, Celebi can pass it's boosts, whether it is an SD or NP. So basically Celebi can work around any team and is definitely not healthy imo. Hydreigon has always been one of UU's biggest threats, but I think with the drop of Sylveon, Hydreigon has gotten too good. Although that might sound silly, the reason I think that is because before Sylveon was in the tier, CM Florges was the main answer. So if a team uses Specs Sylveon as the fairy type over CM Florges on offense, they will have a far harder time beating a well played Hydreigon. Not to mention Hydreigon can easily lure and beat any of it's supposed "counters".

You're one of the most consistent UU players in terms of performing well throughout tournaments such as UUPL, UU Open, and SPL! Is there anything that you can tell newer players about preparing for these tournaments?
Thanks! My advice would be to build, build, and build some more. Pokemon is all experience and the more you build the better you will get. I am assuming if you are getting into tournaments, you are already pretty decent when it comes to decision making. Imo, teambuilding is already over half the battle so if you can master the art of teambuilding through trial and error, I think you have a pretty good shot at succeeding. As for preparing for these tournaments, everyone is different. I personally build my own teams and focus more on making an overall solid build rather than going all out trying to counter team. Sometimes I don't even bother researching my opponent's replays. A basic thing to do is to just research your opponent's games and find a pokemon or core of pokemon that you think can work well vs your opponent. Just remember that they will bring new teams, so don't get too caught up into it.

You had a convincing round 1 win in the UU Open! Other than yourself, who do you think has a good shot at winning it this year?
Hm, I think the players with the best shot are, in no particular order: hogg, teal6, dodmen, Hikari, xMarth, Hairy Toenail, and Manipulative. I probably missed some people, but that is at the top of my head

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon Community?
There are a good amount of people I like to talk to in the smogon community. To name a few: r0ady, hogg, teal6, Euphonos, IronBullet, Lilou, the list could go on but I will stop there.
People that I do not really know, but enjoy reading their posts and stuff are: badabing and Afro Smash.

Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?
I used this team in UUPL vs praj.pran I believe and is a very cookie-cutter build of mine that really resembles the UU meta rn. The team itself is very straightforward and plays pretty well from what I have seen. It is basically NP Celebi + Entei paired with Pursuit Trapping support, T Spikes, and the scary threat in Specs Sylveon. The team is basically 4 offensive threats all with defensive utility, with 2 pivots that provide hazards and hazard removal. The team has a bit of a problem with CM Cress/ Reuniclus but Scald Burns + Crunch on Aerodactyl usually does the job. Don't hate on the sylveon set, I think coverage on Sylveon is overrated and I like to use wild niche options :p

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Acid Spray

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Baton Pass
- Quick Attack

----------

Thank you for your time and the great interview, Christo! If you have any questions that you would like to ask him, feel free to leave them below. I'll be back next week with another interview!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)